Port Information Sheets

rugbypopsie

I really enjoy the port information sheets which we get with the patter just before each port...but I really would like to get them pre cruise to help me plan what I want to do in that port.

I can check the tours etc. on the personaliser but it doesn't tell me if there is a shuttle, how far is it to the city (we are often in container ports) any of that other interesting and useful information.

Even if we could download them prior to the cruise would be better...they night before is just not enough time.

When we cruised with P&O earlier this year, there was a folder in our stateroom which had all the Port information sheets. Suggest you just post the ports you are interest in and someone is sure to help out. I´ve also downloaded port information supplied by other cruise lines notably Royal Caribean, copy and paste the link below

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do;jsessionid=0000VXVgGaBIFG8Wv9dcMbjyNwm:12hbioan0?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstructnew222.dmz.rccl.com%3A200&ip_text=port+explorer+honalulu&searchBreadth=1&x=0&y=0

This is a long link, but will take you to Honanlulu page, but when on the page, just type in the port you need

Hope that helps

Sandy in Spain

Some of these are available on Princess's website. If you go to Ports of Call and pick a port, there will be link to download the port guide if it is available. I don't know if all ports have these, but I found some for ports I'm scheduled to visit next Summer. Just as an example, check out the port of Istanbul.

Tammy

This link may be helpful to you. http://www.princess.com/learn/ports/ Go to the "know Your Port" section and type in the port you want. This will take you to the port page and frequently, there is a PDF file with the port information that you can print out. These are the same information sheets they give out onboard ship. You may find that they do not have the sheets available online for every port.

I really enjoy the port information sheets which we get with the patter just before each port...but I really would like to get them pre cruise to help me plan what I want to do in that port.

I can check the tours etc. on the personaliser but it doesn't tell me if there is a shuttle, how far is it to the city (we are often in container ports) any of that other interesting and useful information.

Even if we could download them prior to the cruise would be better...they night before is just not enough time.

As mentioned above they are in the cabin in a packet when you arrive so at least you could look at them a little ahead of time.

Am I the only person who sees those sheets as just another advertisement for the "preferred" shops?

In the Caribbean they sure seem to be. We take a lot of the exotic cruises, and those port guides are mainly about the port, with map, and info on currency, things to buy (vs. shops to go to) sights to see, and a bit of history about the port. They are very informative.

My wish is that the maps were better and showed points of interest and not just the shops. I know that money the cruise lines receive from the shops is important to them, but it wouldn't hurt to include more more historical sites and other details.

My wish is that the maps were better and showed points of interest and not just the shops. I know that money the cruise lines receive from the shops is important to them, but it wouldn't hurt to include more more historical sites and other details.

That's certainly the case in the Caribbean but on most of the alternative itineraries the guides are exactly that, guides with points of interest and important facts. Check out the site listed above, I read the guide for Phu My which we'll be stopping at next year, very little reference to shopping.

As mentioned, these are typically all in a single packet in your cabin at the start of the cruise - if not then ask at the Excursions desk.

I too would be interested in shuttle information, but usually to decide whether we can do a port city on our own or not. When you consider the cruise line wants to sell excursions, it is probably not in their interest to offer the option of a $10 shuttle to the major attraction before the cruise. This is especially true in the Med, where they will offer a bus to/from the center of town once you are onboard ship (about $25), and the bus gets one within walking distance of some major attractions. Before the cruise we are offered only the excursions to see those attractions, which is where the profit margin is better.

Suffice it to say there will be a shuttle at almost every port to get one to the shopping center. Knowing where it will stop is the piece of information that would make the "on your own" or "excursion" decision easier.

Some of these are available on Princess's website. If you go to Ports of Call and pick a port, there will be link to download the port guide if it is available. I don't know if all ports have these, but I found some for ports I'm scheduled to visit next Summer. Just as an example, check out the port of Istanbul.

Tammy

Thanks you so much for this info. I had NO idea this info was on the web site. The maps I just printed for all of my ports of call are city maps, folks---not the shopping maps. Only one not available in a pdf was Monte Carlo for my Med cruise.

This link may be helpful to you. http://www.princess.com/learn/ports/ Go to the "know Your Port" section and type in the port you want. This will take you to the port page and frequently, there is a PDF file with the port information that you can print out. These are the same information sheets they give out onboard ship. You may find that they do not have the sheets available online for every port.

I just did a quick check for my upcoming Diamond Princess cruise for the PDF port guides..

HCMC (Saigon) Yes

Benoa No

Nha Trang No

Darwin No

Airlie Beach No

Sydney No

Port Douglas No

I have visited most of these ports but many new cruisers have not...I know the port information exists because I have received it last year...my suggestion is that the existing port information PDFs for all ports is put on the web to be downloaded..if there are things like shuttle information that is not known until shortly before then obviously they have to leave it out..but they can still list the various ways to access the nearest city and some must see attractions.

I have sailed with Princess a number of times currently am almost Elite and have never had a package of port information in my cabin.

if there are things like shuttle information that is not known until shortly before then obviously they have to leave it out..but they can still list the various ways to access the nearest city and some must see attractions.

I have sailed with Princess a number of times currently am almost Elite and have never had a package of port information in my cabin.

The port guides are rarely* changed, so shuttle information is usually not in them. The shuttle information will be in the Patter the fay before and the day of the port. (*For example, Prince Rainier of Monaco died in 2005. In 2007, the port guide still listed him as being the ruler there. I do not know if the port guide has been updated yet.)

The ship has no input as to the information in the Port Guides. They are put together by HQ and must be printed on the ship exactly as HQ sent it.

I would say about a third of the time the Port handouts are together in the cabin when we arrive and two/thirds of the time you get them one by one the evenings before the ports.

I just did a quick check for my upcoming Diamond Princess cruise for the PDF port guides..

HCMC (Saigon) Yes

Sort of. The guide on the Princess site is for the ship anchoring at Vung Tau and using tenders, but the Diamond Princess will be docking at Phu My in december.

Sort of. The guide on the Princess site is for the ship anchoring at Vung Tau and using tenders, but the Diamond Princess will be docking at Phu My in december.

Not quite up to date then....if they hardly ever change them I don't understand why they are not all on the personaliser to be downloaded then...I can understand the more obscure ports that are not usually visited...but Sydney?

Archived