century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

This should not be an insurance issue as it is not due to circumstances out of the cruise line's control. A mechanical problem with the ship is the fault of the cruise line and it seems to me that the cruise line should bear full financial responsibility for the problem.

Agreed. While X didn't go out and intentionally damage the rudder, aspects of the ship are the domain of the cruise line. While it is correct that we as passengers should purchase insurance, this is also why cruise lines carry insurance -- let X make a claim and do the right thing by pax in the meanwhile.

PS -- Check your email, Larry. :)

They are agreeing to a full refund and do have a bus to Barcelona (OK, I would not wish to take a 10 hour bus). My guess is that they are offering $250.00 in change fees because most airlines will accept that and will look at a case by case basis for those who have to pay more. They are not going to pay for someone to fly first class who only got there in coach so probably publicly stating a limit. Just my guess.

That is all and fine with getting someone home without it costing them extra, although most airlines wouldn't give you a ticket for the next few days for only a change fee. Instead they typically want a lot more money than they were willing to sell the ticket for six months earlier.

But what about the cost of the ticket and even the Hotel in Barcelona. I wouldn't spend well over $2,000 in airfare for my wife and I just to spend a night or two in Barcelona. In fact I wouldn't have gone there at all. Why should those that did this have to eat those costs. They should be compensated for those costs for the same reason they are receiving a refund of their cruise - because the mechanical problem is Celebrity's responsibility.

I took this itinerary last year..and had this happened on day two to us, i would have needed $250 A day just in antidepressants. Years of planning, nearly impossible for dh and i to get 2 weeks off from work...i am still in disbelief.

I have faith x will do the right thing...but gosh...initial reports are not favorable.

Just thinking aloud, but if you had all that time off for vacation, why not grab a hotel in Nice and enjoy being in France for a week? Then look at changing your ticket for your original departure day, which would give you a few days so you wouldn't be booking as last minute.

I don't understand why an interrupted cruise means you have to take a bus back to Barcelona and fly home immediately? Make lemonade out of lemons and all that jazz...

Just to add...don't get me wrong, I'd be upset, but I would refuse to have it totally ruin my vacation. Think in a few years the funny story you'd have.

Just curious as to what those who were doing a B2B do with the transatlantic part of this. Earlier posts indicate that it is still on. Do they just spend the time in Barcelona waiting for the ship with their refund to pay for hotels or go home? Would they get a refund for that or have to buy tickets to fly back for the transatlantic part of this?

Just curious as to what those who were doing a B2B do with the transatlantic part of this.

I was told by my TA that some of them will be cruising out of Barcelona on Constellation Sunday to Sunday and board Century on the following Monday (25th).

One of the confounding issues that's had to be worked around is the fact that there is a transportation strike in France. So.... forget about public buses or trains.

Then, the fact that Nice does not have much airlift to anywhere.

We came up with a couple of remedies which will enable people to fly home on their previously booked returned flights.

One couple has rented a car and is heading for Italy........with hotel nights pre- booked down the west coast of Italy and up the east coast for them. Wheew... I guess they like to drive.

One couple was rebooked onto MSC leaving out of Marseiile on Sunday.

Another couple is taking the Celebrity provided bus and hotel in Barcelona, then flying to Florence on Sunday for a 7 night stay in Florence, returning to Barcelona on the 24th. We added a "prenight" hotel to their originally booked "post cruise hotel".. and they return home as scheduled from BCN on the 26th.

Interesting note.. that while some passengers have their US cell phones onboard they don't have an international plan. One of my clients dropped into a cellphone store, picked up a European SIM card.......et voila! We were able to solve his travel plans in one phone call early this morning! Something to keep in mind should one ever get stuck overseas without an international plan.

I completely agree that Celebrity should re-imburse the cost of the original airfare as well. In fact, if it were me, I would prefer this to any future cruise credit.

I wonder what happens to those who booked air through Celebrity? If the cruise is cancelled, then you would think that those people would receive a complete refund, including the airfare portion. Plus Celebrity would need to get them back home at no additional charge.

But most people probably book air on their own, and they are probably out of luck even if they have insurance. Since they used the airline tickets, I wouldn't think they would be entitled to any refund. If they have insurance, then the benefits would probably be limited to trip interuption coverage. It may pay for a night or two in a hotel, meals, plus any change fee above the $250 credit from Celebrity.

This could be a very contentious situation. Celebrity says the cruise is "cancelled", but then the insurance may say no, the cruise was "cancelled", but your trip was "interupted".

We did this cruise a few months ago, and our airfare from San Francisco was just as expensive as the cruise. So yes, I would certainly prefer to have the airfare reimbursed.

Interesting note.. that while some passengers have their US cell phones onboard they don't have an international plan. One of my clients dropped into a cellphone store, picked up a European SIM card.......et voila! We were able to solve his travel plans in one phone call early this morning! Something to keep in mind should one ever get stuck overseas without an international plan.

But this won't work if you have Verizon, or any carrier that uses CDMA technology. All of Europe uses GSM technology. They work on different frequencies and signals. A CDMA phone in Europe can be used only as a door stop or a paper weight.

I wonder what happens to those who booked air through Celebrity? If the cruise is cancelled, then you would think that those people would receive a complete refund, including the airfare portion. Plus Celebrity would need to get them back home at no additional charge. ....

Frankly I'd hope that Celebrity would take care of everyone this way. It shouldn't matter if one booked through Celebrity or has cruise insurance or not. I'd have a different opinion if this were due to weather, a volcano, or even a strike (other than by Celebrity employees). But this is a mechanical failure for which Celebrity bears direct responsibility. While I don't like hits like this as a shareholder, I think the company has an obligation here to take care of its customers.

Last month I almost booked a cruise on Celebrity but didn't due to Itinerary issues. After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't and will not in the future. Customer service has to count for something.

Last month I almost booked a cruise on Celebrity but didn't due to Itinerary issues. After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't and will not in the future. Customer service has to count for something.

Before you jump to conclusions, let's see how this all works out in the end. So far, this looks much better handled than the Princess fiasco in Chile (certainly under different circumstances).

I am looking forward to hearing from a variety of cruisers who found different solutions (e.g., land vacations, other cruises, return home immediately)

My complaints and those of others have been based on both early reports and rumors. While there is nothing wrong with making one's opinion known I wouldn't make any hard decisions on how one feels about Celebrity overall until a while after the dust has settled.

I think Celebrity is a great cruise line and offers a top notch product with great service. I hope that a little time shows that they've done right by the cruisers who are suffering through this problem.

We had a Celebrity cruise cancelled from under us due to a mechanical problem 3 days before embarkation. Celebrity went above and beyond to compensate and reschedule us. In the end, we were refunded 100% of the 11-day cancelled voyage and given a 100% complimentay voyage of 14 days duration in addition to compensation of airline fees. How can you go wrong with that? And for the record, we are not Celebrity die hards as we sail various lines. But it's important to stand up for them when we've had first hand experience at their being more than fair with us when situations went sour.

We came up with a couple of remedies which will enable people to fly home on their previously booked returned flights.

One couple has rented a car and is heading for Italy........with hotel nights pre- booked down the west coast of Italy....One couple was rebooked onto MSC leaving out of Marseiile on Sunday......Another couple is taking the Celebrity provided bus and hotel in Barcelona, then flying to Florence on Sunday for a 7 night stay in Florence, returning to Barcelona ..... Something to keep in mind should one ever get stuck overseas without an international plan.

Sounds like you have been working double-time to keep your clients happy. Kudos to you for being on top of the situation. I am sure all your cruisers appreciate your efforts to turn lemons into lemonade.

Happy cruising...Joanne

My complaints and those of others have been based on both early reports and rumors. While there is nothing wrong with making one's opinion known I wouldn't make any hard decisions on how one feels about Celebrity overall until a while after the dust has settled.

I think Celebrity is a great cruise line and offers a top notch product with great service. I hope that a little time shows that they've done right by the cruisers who are suffering through this problem.

Well said....Lets let the dust settle alittle. Wait till everybody gets home and report. these next few days will be rough for everybody.

Must be a big let-down :(

Sounds odd both rudders gone bad ??

Take advantage if you can, try and get up into the hills behind Nice - Vence/St Paul, Tourettes-sur-Loup and so on, very picturesque places with a strong art connection to some big names. Go a few miles west to Antibes, nice little place with some fine hardware in the yacht basin:) not to forget the Picasso museum.

Hope it all works out OK.

St. Paul is just amazing. I had a wonderful day there. Villefranche, which is where the ship actually anchors (not Nice) is a beautiful town. I asked the guide to let me off the bus from St. Paul in the upper town by the outdoor flea market. From there I made my way down to the tender pier through an amazing garden. Provence is where I would love to retire should I win the lottery (although I may be a whore and bounce back and forth between Provence and Tuscany). Please don't wake me from my dream.

After a long and confusing 24 hours, we got our client's airline tickets changed to return from Nice as well as a hotel in Nice until they can return back to the US. Phone calls to and from the ship have been next to impossible and emails and Facebook chat have been limited.

The crew is truly overwhelmed and some have been brought to tears by those who are quite angry about the situation. Most of them have never been something like this so many are in the dark as much as the passengers are.

This has been almost like a perfect storm of events. Canceled cruise on Day 2 of a 12-night journey. Happened in a tender port. Strike by French transportation making it very difficult to move 2000 passengers back to Barcelona. Limited flights from Nice as we come into the low season. Very little extra capacity and airlift by the airlines.

We were able to actually get a human at the airlines to not only allow a city pair change but waived the $250 per person international change fee. Clients still will have personal outlays out of pocket for extra days at the hotel and airline tickets, but we will submit that to their insurance carrier for reimbursement. Those who have no extra credit left on their credit cards are truly in a real pickle.

For those who did not have a travel agent, a cell phone, laptop or computer access, they were being put on the buses to Barcelona for the 10 hour ride as there really was no option.

Beside Babette, many other agents have spent a sleepless night working for their clients. One agent on twitter has a group of 100 to reticket and provide for.

When it is all said and done at least my clients have said that there are far worse places to be stranded than in the south of France. They are making lemonade out of a truly lemon situation.

Celebrity has generally been known to really "step up to the plate" when something goes wrong, so it might be better not to jump to conclusions.

And, guess what! Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, the cruise line with which you are booked for your next cruise.

<P>

From facebook, an angry passenger:</P>

<P><STRONG>who's gonna pay for all damage in Century ? I'm on century in this moment, anybody give a real solution, no calls, no internet, nothing. Who pay for this night mare? ..offer 25% discount for the next ... I never gonna use this nasty company ...while ... just sandwich on the bout .... we need a loyer to protect our benefits !!</STRONG>

</P>

<P> </P>

<P>

Just curious as to what those who were doing a B2B do with the transatlantic part of this. Earlier posts indicate that it is still on. Do they just spend the time in Barcelona waiting for the ship with their refund to pay for hotels or go home? Would they get a refund for that or have to buy tickets to fly back for the transatlantic part of this?
</P>

<P> </P>

<P>I just received a call from someone I know on the ship. Total chaos.</P>

<P>No information, no crisis management capability.</P>

<P>Passengers have been told to put their bags out for pickup by midnight tonight. No bag tags, no color codes, no information where they will be brought or where the passengers can pick them up (or if they will ever see them again!; I advised her not to put her bags out)</P>

<P> </P>

<P>B2B passengers were given no information onboard and were told to call a "special dedicated" phone number in Miami for assistance. Of course the phones in Miami aren't answered until 9 am Eastern time, 2 pm local time on the ship. Didn't matter anyway as the phones were overloaded and it took hours to get a line out.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>When she finally got through to Miami, she was connected with a surly,  irritated woman who basically told her that she and her husband were on their own once they were bussed to Barcelona. No, they would not be accommodated in Barcelona to wait for the Transatlantic trip to start and no they would not assist in finding then flights home from Barcelona..bye bye.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>The hotel manager has disappeared from sight. The guest services director's only answers have been that Miami is making all of the arrangements and we don't have that information yet. </P>

<P>But everyone has to be off the ship by 5 pm Saturday!</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Ship is not docked in Nice, it is at anchor in  Villefranche. All luggage has to go ashore by boat, as the passengers by tender. No information on when buses leave, where they will deliver the passengers in Barcelona, whether there will be meal stops during the 10 hours ride or if any food, snacks or beverages will be provided for the bus journey.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>B2B passengers were called to a meeting onboard. About 200 people were met by a lone young lady with a single stripe on her shoulder (likely an assistant purser) who was sent as the sacrificial lamb. No management to be found. All she was able to say was to call the "special dedicated" phone number in Miami. </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Basically it has been a case of "Cruise is over, everyone off the ship, you're on your own."</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Celebrity is more concerned with getting the ship to the drydock and back for the next trip than taking care of the passengers they already have onboard and whose vacations are destroyed.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>I understand that breakdowns can occur, however a good company will have contingency plans in place, managers that are allowed to manage and make decisions, an effective communications plan to get information to the passengers and be willing and able to take care of their customers until they are home.</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Pathetic</P>

<P> </P>

I like your remedies. Go have fun in other places and don't worry. I really believe that Celebrity will help out in the end even if it is not what you had totally planned.

Special times require acceptions be made.

We kinda went through this scare with the ash cloud in the spring on the Connie Trans. I say get the credit card out and stay in Europe for a week. Be smart how you spend. Barcelona is one heck of a town to be stuck in :)

It easy to say from 3,000 mi a way:rolleyes:

One of the confounding issues that's had to be worked around is the fact that there is a transportation strike in France. So.... forget about public buses or trains.

Then, the fact that Nice does not have much airlift to anywhere.

One couple has rented a car and is heading for Italy........with hotel nights pre- booked down the west coast of Italy and up the east coast for them. Wheew... I guess they like to drive.

One couple was rebooked onto MSC leaving out of Marseiile on Sunday.

Another couple is taking the Celebrity provided bus and hotel in Barcelona, then flying to Florence on Sunday for a 7 night stay in Florence, returning to Barcelona on the 24th. We added a "prenight" hotel to their originally booked "post cruise hotel".. and they return home as scheduled from BCN on the 26th.

The following cruise preceded our canceled cruise in 2003.

I hope Celebrity has learned but "InTheKnow" suggests they have not.

http://www1.epinions.com/review/Celebrity_Infinity_Cruises/content_91887734404

We were booked on the Feb. 2003 sailing and received a full refund and a free cruise. Only our flight cost was not recovered.

The crew is truly overwhelmed and some have been brought to tears by those who are quite angry about the situation. Most of them have never been something like this so many are in the dark as much as the passengers are.

This has been almost like a perfect storm of events. Canceled cruise on Day 2 of a 12-night journey. Happened in a tender port. Strike by French transportation making it very difficult to move 2000 passengers back to Barcelona. Limited flights from Nice as we come into the low season. Very little extra capacity and airlift by the airlines.

I can't agree more with this statement. I am on board. Are we disappointed? Of course--we really wanted to see Croatia and many of the other ports. However, we are thankful this happened while in port and not at sea.

Last night I decided to go back to my room and rest because everywhere I went, passengers were complaining. The manner in which passengers berated some of the staff is truly sad. I certainly empathize about our fellow passengers' vacation plans getting cut short, having to reroute themselves, etc. But a large part of the passengers seemed to think that Celebrity could wave a magic wand, find hotel rooms for all, change their airline tickets, etc, and all within 24 hours. As the poster above wrote, this was probably one of the worst logistical nightmares that took place.

More than once I had to remind myself that a day on a bad cruise is better than a regular day at work.

I am on board. Are we disappointed? Of course--we really wanted to see Croatia and many of the other ports. However, we are thankful this happened while in port and not at sea.

Last night I decided to go back to my room and rest because everywhere I went, passengers were complaining. The manner in which passengers berated some of the staff is truly sad. I certainly empathize about our fellow passengers' vacation plans getting cut short, having to reroute themselves, etc. But a large part of the passengers seemed to think that Celebrity could wave a magic wand, find hotel rooms for all, change their airline tickets, etc, and all within 24 hours. As the poster above wrote, this was probably one of the worst logistical nightmares that took place.

More than once I had to remind myself that a day on a bad cruise is better than a regular day at work.

Thank you for your feedback from the ship, much appreciated given all the rumors flying around here! And what a great positive attitude you have! I hope things work out for you from here!

Best Regards,

Floris

Archived