"LIVE" from Oasis of the Seas / Jan 22, 2011

Radio

I now have an angry 13 year old son wondering why his mom and I get to go on our cruise in August and he does not.. lol Thanks for all the great info and pictures! We enjoy every one of them. I wonder what your internet bill will be when this is all over? Loading the pictures must take a while.

I signed up for my Wireless Internet pkg last night up in the Seven hearts Club (Card Room) up on Deck 14, and I am happy with the connection speed (785 kbps) It is not High speed Internet, but I am able post with no worries.

Radio

What are you paying for the week if I my ask?

Sandy (on Oasis this Saturday!)

Other RCI ships range from $.65/minute with no package down to $.35/minute (roughly) if you prepay lots of minutes. I remember on the Explorer the biggest package was 300 minutes. Going from memory here. Plus Radio has a D/D+ booklet which gives a large chunk of internet time gratis. Plus a 20% discount on purchased time packages.

Other RCI ships range from $.65/minute with no package down to $.35/minute (roughly) if you prepay lots of minutes. I remember on the Explorer the biggest package was 300 minutes. Going from memory here. Plus Radio has a D/D+ booklet which gives a large chunk of internet time gratis. Plus a 20% discount on purchased time packages.

Yes. . .I bought the package that allows 300 min for $150 (.30/min)

They changed the Coupon book to "Diamond Plus / Pinnacle Ultimate Value Book"

There is a separate one for Diamond now. . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will be on the Oasis February 19 and would also like to know what a week of internet access would cost.

Hmm. . . that would depend on the amount of time you want to use. I usually post pics 3X per day, and the $150 package works well for me.

I have talked to passengers that buy 3 - $150 packages. . . It all depends on how much you want.

Radio

;);)

Radio thanks for the postings this week it has been great to read. I am sailing Feb 5th. Is the ship working fine tonight?

Tom

It appears to be working well. . . Of ciurse we are going very slow (10kt)since we have such a short distance to Cozumel. . .

Radio

;);)

Good Morning everyone. . . Welcome to Day 6 of my “LIVE” from the Oasis of the Seas report.

We are just a few miles south of Cozumel. We are only traveling at about 10kt, and we can see the lighthouse and lights from a few ships, but it is still very dark. We should arrive in about 1 hour.

It is uncertain what the weather will be today, so I will just play it by ear.

I enjoyed a nice dinner at Seafood Shack last night, as we listened to Summer Breeze at the Aquatheater. I actually missed Sailaway, so I was unable to get any pics from us pulling away. . .Oh well. . .It was just like us pulling in (except darker)

We had a short unofficial Cruise Critic meeting up in the Cigar Bar (up on Deck 17 FWD) that only lasted a short time, because I was ready to hit the hay.

I will provide lots of pics today from Cozumel (rain or shine), and of course I am hoping it will be sunny, but I will remember to pack my poncho just in case.

Here are a few pics from last night. More pics from our arrival coming soon !

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

A view of the Costa Maya Port form the ship

W57.JPG

The AquaTheater is preparing for a Sail Away show

W61.JPG

I enjoyed a nice dinner at Seafood Shack with MedicKen, his wife (Cruiselover58), their son, and Ken’s Sister. It was enjoyable.

W63.JPG

We enjoyed the Summer Breeze Sail away music.

W64.JPG

It was nice to hear the Oasis of the Seas Jazz Band, and Singers

W66.JPG

Our current Location

MAP12.JPG

First, thank you for doing the "Live Post," I have really enjoyed tuning in everyday!! I had a question about the Windjammer. I've read a lot of comments from others saying that it was a challenge to find a seat. This is nothing new as I've read the same comments when researching the other 14 ships Ive been on in the past, so this wont be my first rodeo. However the solution weve found to that "issue " in the past has been to just walk to the very last buffet which we ussually find outside overlooking the water. I'm getting the impression that the Oasis doesnt have this configuration, is that correct? That would be too bad because Ive always considered that a hidden gem on every cruise I've been on, so nice to sit outside sipping on coffee and enjoying the salt air. Thanks again!!!

Hello everyone. . . We have arrived in Cozumel. We arrive at the International Pier at 7:30AM, and should be tied up before 8AM. The ship should be cleared very soon.

We can see Carnival Elation docked at the Puerta Maya Pier (just south of us) and I can see Norwegian Epic a few miles up north. She appears to be docking at the San Miguel pier (Downtown San). I will go up there to get a few pics. . .

The sun is coming up fast, and I can just hope that it will not be covered with clouds. My plan is to go down to Chankanaab National Park just a few mile south of our location. I have been there before, and it is very nice.

I have seen several requests about what is the name of each Pier in Cozumel. . .

I found the following when searching about the piers:

The piers in Cozumel are as follows going from downtown (North)to the south:

San Miguel Pier.(Fiscal) This is the first Cruise Ship Pier and Ferry pier located at the town square. It is also used for tendering when the other piers are full.

Punta Langosta Pier. Located downtown near Carlos & Charlie’s and Senor Frogs

International Pier. This is the 3rd cruise ship pier. Located several miles south of the downtown area. This is where Oasis of the Seas is docked today.

TransCaribe Freight Ferry Pier. (also called Puerto Morales pier) Located on the side of the International pier. This is used to bring cars and trucks from the mainland.(Playa del Carmen)

Puerta Maya Pier. This is the southern most pier. It is owned by Carnival. It is located within 1/4 mile of the International pier.

Here are a few pics from our arrival. . . More pics later !

Radio

We approach Cozumel as we see Carnival Elation already docked.

TH5.JPG

The sun rises over Cozumel. . .

TH11.JPG

The water is a brilliant blue, even with all of the clouds

TH4.JPG

We approach the dock slowly. . .

TH8.JPG

I can see Norwegian Epic up north at the San Miguel Pier

TH2.JPG

The view from my balcony. . .

TH3.JPG

Here are a couple of Pre Cruise Pics. . . I must go to Cracker Barrel next door. (They open at 6AM)

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

;);)

Getting ready to board AutoTrain in Virginia

PC1.JPG

Amtrak AutoTrain Station in Lorton, VA (On Wednesday)

PC3.JPG

The Holiday Inn and Suites at Universal Studios

PC10.JPG

Radio.....looking forward once again to your live post!! Thanks for the AutoTrain pics. We are leaving on Feb. 22 for Florida stay with relatives. Anxious to see what the train is like.....it's our first time. What did you think of the experience??? We have a small sleeper. Hubby is 6'4" and I am worried about the sleeping arrangements but figure he can do it for overnight. Doesn't like to fly so this is the choice he made!

Here are a few more pics. . .More pics after dinner.

Radio

I have a standard Balcony Cabin on Deck 6. It is very nice.

S20.JPG

The room configuration is reversed from my last sailing on Oasis (The Bed is near the closet instead of the Balcony)

S18.JPG

The pools are open, but when I boarded there were no passengers using them.

S22.JPG

It really looks like a storm is about to hit us, but the Zip Line was in full swing.

S21.JPG

The AquaTheater is empty, but it will be packed tonight with on of the first shows

S29.JPG

Flavored Water ? Hmmm. . . It’s actually very good !

S19.JPG

Okay.....going in Sept with a few others that are watching your posts so we have questions......your cabin: is it a D6 category (that is what I have)

Flavored water......is it included in the free drinks or on a drink card???

Thanks.....sure we will have more questions as you post!

I'm new to this cruise critic thread board, but I'm enjoying every minute of Radio's trip on Oasis. Hubby and I, along with a couple of friends, will be on Oasis 3/19. As if I weren't already excited enough, this is increasing the anticipation. I can hardly think of anything else. I do really appreciate the info. Am actually taking a few notes. Note to self: no thong. You don't know who's taking pictures. Noted.

Between Chops and Giovanni's - which one?

What two nights are formal nights? Trying to plan dining.

Hey, I've noticed nearly everyone writing is from somewhere up north and seems to be buried in snow. Any more southerner's out there? No snow in south Louisiana, but I still can hardly wait for really warm weather and sunshine. Thanks, Radio, for sending pictures and taking the world with you on your vacation. We're having a blast.

I must need a cute cruising nickname. Seems like everyone has one but me.

sorry to ask all of these questions about maps... but I read either from you or Trainman that Oasis and Allure doesn't offer the "where are we now" station (that kind of looks like the maps you have been posting just before you got to Cozumel, Costa Maya, and during the sea days)... where have you been getting your maps that you have been posting?

(I hope you don't mind, but in case I can't find them for my cruise, right clicking and savings yours (even though the quality won't be as good) to upload when I made my photo books of our cruise (having my own picture to take would be very helpful... and fun for my son who loves maps!)

TIA!

I'm new to this cruise critic thread board, but I'm enjoying every minute of Radio's trip on Oasis. Hubby and I, along with a couple of friends, will be on Oasis 3/19. As if I weren't already excited enough, this is increasing the anticipation. I can hardly think of anything else. I do really appreciate the info. Am actually taking a few notes. Note to self: no thong. You don't know who's taking pictures. Noted.

Between Chops and Giovanni's - which one?

What two nights are formal nights? Trying to plan dining.

Hey, I've noticed nearly everyone writing is from somewhere up north and seems to be buried in snow. Any more southerner's out there? No snow in south Louisiana, but I still can hardly wait for really warm weather and sunshine. Thanks, Radio, for sending pictures and taking the world with you on your vacation. We're having a blast.

I must need a cute cruising nickname. Seems like everyone has one but me.

We have our own thread for March 19th - follow the link to meet your fellow passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077651

Archived