Butler Service

djhsolara

I don't mind sharing, just not on a big old thread. Send me an email, and I'll send you a copy to have a laugh at.... I get really specific.

We are going to be in a suite on the summit this coming December to celebrate my grandparents 60th. With that in mind, we want to do everything we can to make it the best it can be, within reason, of course.

That being said, I would love to learn about your "butler list" to see if there is anything we have forgotten as it will be our first time with a butler! :D

We also would love to look at the Butler list, we can't even comprehend how wonderful the butler service is from everyones post, I'm glad we will get to experience it. But how do you know what to ask for to make the cruise extra special.....

I must still be missing something.

I just don't get why anyone needs a butler.

Unlike a lot of lines Cebelrity doesn't have a no we cant do that attitude. They will try to meet all sorts of requests. I can get things by shmoozing the right people and palming them a few notes. This backdoor system works much better than any Elite status perk or suite perk.

Where a lot of people fall down, is they look down and condescend to staff. They feel they are entitled to perks and I am appalled at the way I have seen some premier guests treat staff. Dare I even say they are of the older generation too (not all oldies, some of you are very nice, just the ones I have seen behave like this tend to be 60+).

If you treat the staff with a little respect, take an interest in what they are doing, don't cut them off midscript or patter and slip them a few notes, they will get see you ok just as good as any butler.

Unlike a lot of lines Cebelrity doesn't have a no we cant do that attitude. They will try to meet all sorts of requests. I can get things by shmoozing the right people and palming them a few notes. This backdoor system works much better than any Elite status perk or suite perk.

Where a lot of people fall down, is they look down and condescend to staff. They feel they are entitled to perks and I am appalled at the way I have seen some premier guests treat staff. Dare I even say they are of the older generation too (not all oldies, some of you are very nice, just the ones I have seen behave like this tend to be 60+).

If you treat the staff with a little respect, take an interest in what they are doing, don't cut them off midscript or patter and slip them a few notes, they will get see you ok just as good as any butler.

Sorry, while I fully agree that looking down on, and being condescending towards, people who provide a service is wrong but all to visible on board ships, I do not see how "shmoozing the right people" equates with treating the staff "with a little respect". "Shmoozing" smacks of corrupt processes and has little to do with respecting anyone.

Sue

We also would love to look at the Butler list, we can't even comprehend how wonderful the butler service is from everyones post, I'm glad we will get to experience it. But how do you know what to ask for to make the cruise extra special.....

Making your cruise extra special is all to do with what you would like or need and absolutely nothing to do with anyone else's list of requests.

Sue

Every time I think about a butler, I think of John Gielgud in the movie Arthur....and I smile because that's the experience many expect on board the ship. If you haven't seen the movie, it's a must.

Alternatively, I think of the gentleman who had handicap problems and expected the butler to help him in the bathroom....and then requested and got a refund from Celebrity because the butler very appropriately and following Celebrity's policy refused to help.

Other vignettes come to mind as well. Yelling down the hall, snapping one's fingers or calling the butler "boy" probably won't work too well :)

I am sure that a list is a good thing for you to have as you discuss your wants and needs to the butler...so you don't forget anything that's important to you, but handing him/her a list seems a bit over the top and somewhat demeaning.....here is a list of chores is not a good way to inspire folks to better service.

Reverse roles in your mind of course, and imagine someone giving you a list of "expectations" when you first meet them and your reaction.....

You're not on your plantation...you're on a cruise.

Disagree I am sorry. It's nothing to do with notes and schmoozing which sound like tacky brown nosing to me. All our butlers have done a lot to make our cruises special.

It's hard to give the op a generic list, it's better to say to them, what would make your cruise really special. And what needs to happen - be it you want a different pillow or a certain type of tea brought to your room each day - then tell your butler all these things and sit back and enjoy.

Oh and I am under 60 and many of our butlers have become friends and we are still in touch

Well for those who have said that they don't see the need for a butler, if you want the additional room of a sky suite or above, you are going to get a butler (whether you want one or not) ;). Our experience is that a butler will do as much (or as little) for you as you wish. Just prepare to be spoiled! :cool:

Write down my email address, and the next time you are in your email, send me a note. You cannot hit that link; it doesn't work for me either.

I would love to have the list as well, but can't seem to find your email address (not under your profile)

We sailed on Celebrity for the first time in a Royal suite on the Eclipse, our butler was just so so maybe it was because we did not know what to ask of him, my friends were on the other side of the ship and had a terrific butler who kept them informed of what was going on all day long. We are sailing on the Infinity next month and would love to have an idea of what to ask for to make our trip even more enjoyable.

Wendy

Look if you use a butler, fair game to you. I still don't understand what a butler does that I can't do myself. Or is that it, get someone else to do what you would do? I still can't see really how it makes a difference.

If I want a tour, I book one.

If I want drinks I order them or fill the fridge.

I have to say I have never found the need to order late night food or want another pie or something after a show.

I prefer to do my own packing and unpacking.

Tell me what I am not picking up on and perhaps I can understand why people use butlers but as it stands I don't see the gain.

Look if you use a butler, fair game to you. I still don't understand what a butler does that I can't do myself. Or is that it, get someone else to do what you would do? I still can't see really how it makes a difference.

If I want a tour, I book one.

If I want drinks I order them or fill the fridge.

I have to say I have never found the need to order late night food or want another pie or something after a show.

I prefer to do my own packing and unpacking.

Tell me what I am not picking up on and perhaps I can understand why people use butlers but as it stands I don't see the gain.

Butlers are used by different people to a different extent and for a variety of tasks. There's no right or wrong or list that one can produce to say it's worth it. Just depends on the individual. Personally I book a suite for the extra space, but it is nice to have my breakfast laid out properly by the butler on a table and cloth in the morning where he becomes used to knowing what I have and adds something regular that's not there just in case I forgot to order it on the card. It's also pleasant for me to have afternoon tea, cakes and sandwiches delivered to the room in the afternoon and having a generally more attentive and interactive relationship with him rather than the room steward who makes up the room in the morning and turns down the bed in the evening.

I'm with others here who don't like the idea of passing around money hoping for things to be done. Not for me and with the number of cabins the stewards now have to look after it can be unfair to them and lead to disappointment. My experience here is there is less room for flexibility. However if this works for you then great, just as the butler service works for others.

Phil

Butlers are used by different people to a different extent and for a variety of tasks. There's no right or wrong or list that one can produce to say it's worth it. Just depends on the individual. Personally I book a suite for the extra space, but it is nice to have my breakfast laid out properly by the butler on a table and cloth in the morning where he becomes used to knowing what I have and adds something regular that's not there just in case I forgot to order it on the card. It's also pleasant for me to have afternoon tea, cakes and sandwiches delivered to the room in the afternoon and having a generally more attentive and interactive relationship with him rather than the room steward who makes up the room in the morning and turns down the bed in the evening.

I'm with others here who don't like the idea of passing around money hoping for things to be done. Not for me and with the number of cabins the stewards now have to look after it can be unfair to them and lead to disappointment. My experience here is there is less room for flexibility. However if this works for you then great, just as the butler service works for others.

Phil

Lets put the passing money aside for a moment. (They do appreciate every tip as one girl told me she now had enough for an extra phone card to call her family at home. I guess I feel for them and a little trade in my view, is no biggie. How many business people are on board that have greased the cogs occasionally to get what they want)? Anyway I have said my bit on this.

I have breakfast in the MDR as I like the interaction with other people. I like to get out of the room for a while especially after a good night sleep. Sure I have had breakfast on the veranda but its not the same as chatting to someone else and finding out where they are from or what they do or did.

If you like afternoon tea ... and have room for it that is great, but I still can't see how I (thats me personally) will benefit.

I guess the only way to find out is to book a suite next time. Perhaps then I will get it.

I have breakfast in the MDR as I like the interaction with other people. I like to get out of the room for a while especially after a good night sleep. Sure I have had breakfast on the veranda but its not the same as chatting to someone else and finding out where they are from or what they do or did.

If you like afternoon tea ... and have room for it that is great, but I still can't see how I (thats me personally) will benefit.

I guess the only way to find out is to book a suite next time. Perhaps then I will get it.

You have answered the question yourself.

Phil

Perhaps you are not the type of person who will enjoy the service of a butler, we wont knock you for that if you dont knock those of us who do enjoy it!

Great quote. ;)

Just got back from back-to-back cruises in a Sky Suite (on the Eclipse).

It came with a (gasp!) butler !?

We was spoiled rotten ... and that was pretty neat!

Check out the video, here:

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/celebrity-Apr23.htm

It's part of a 21-day diary of our cruise, starting here:

http://www.gummy-stuff.org/celebrity.htm

We often asked Alex (a great butler!) to skip afternoon snacks and/or canapes ... but he also arranged our restaurant reservations, solved booking issues, fixed any room problems etc. etc.

If'n ya don't want him ya ask him to stay away. That ain't hard to do.

However, if'n ya got yerself a butler, I'll bet you use him.

smile-22.gif

Edited by PJames

Just got back from back-to-back cruises in a Sky Suite (on the Eclipse).

It came with a (gasp!) butler !?

We was spoiled rotten ... and that was pretty neat!

We often asked Alex (a great butler!) to skip afternoon snacks and/or canapes ... but he also arranged our restaurant reservations, solved booking issues, fixed any room problems etc. etc.

If'n ya don't want him ya ask him to stay away. That ain't hard to do.

However, if'n ya got yerself a butler, I'll bet you use him.

Thanks for a wonderful fun review!

We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise but have always

had fantastic butlers on Oceania..Can't wait since you made yours on X

sound wonderful too.;)

One thing our butler provided was totally unexpected. My DH blew out an eardrum on the flight to Fl and it didn't really hit him until the end of the first day of our cruise. We ended up spending quite a few hours in the medical facility on the ship. Our butler was right there to take care of my needs while at the infirmary and was there with a wheel chair when, after several hours, we were allowed to take DH back to cabin. He also recognized we had missed many meals and brought us full course dinner as if we had been in the MDR. He offered to serve it however with DH already asleep from pain meds, I sent him on to his cabin to get some well deserved rest himself. He was incredible in every way but this went up and beyond in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
Wonder if anyone has run into Paul or Nilesh(Niles) recently, butlers we've had on previous sailings. Both great guys and hope to meet again on a future cruise. Thanx in Advance.:)

Sorry, those names don't ring a bell for me -- but, I'm sure they will for someone on this board. It might help if you could tell us what ships you were on -- or what ships you might expect them to be on now. I know that our butler on Century (Koljia) told us that he would be transferring to Reflection, as part of her take-out crew. :cool:

BB present and accounted for. I just replied to a couple of emails about butler service, and made a few additions to the list....

Bellybutton530, If you are still on this thread, could you also send the butler list to me (klw_jrw@yahoo.com)? My husband and I just booked a cruise in a Sky Suite to Hawaii. We have never been in a suite before and are looking forward to it. I do not have any idea what we will need from a Butler except for breakfast every morning. Others have mentioned being able to order cappuccinos from the Butler. Does that also include caffe lattes? Sometimes I prefer them.