How soon in advance do you book your cruise?

How soon in advance do you book your cruise?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How soon in advance do you book your cruise?

• As soon as the cruise accepts reservations
    • 1 year
    • 9 months
    • 6 months
    • 3 months
    • The absolute last minute

My DH and I are planning our 25th Anniversary with a Mediterranean cruise in August 2012. We don’t usually plan this far in advance. It is so far away and doesn’t seem tangible. However, DH’s Uncle and wife plan their cruises years in advance. So, it has me wondering (for fun) when others generally book their cruises and why.

I chose 1 year because our first cruise, as well as our Bermuda cruise next year, were booked a year out. However, we have also booked a cruise 2 months out because we found a fabulous deal.

I agree that booking a year out seems so far away, but I already have my countdown ticker running!! :)

It has varied from a year to 6 weeks! It all depends on what comes up. It was a challenge planning excursions with only 6 weeks time but I got it done and we had a great time!

All of the above. LOL

Just depends on the timing of when I am interested (and needing) to go somewhere, pricing, etc...

Last couple of times it has been 1 year in advance, then I just booked one in April for September and will be booking one in July for January 2013. Still deciding on our summer 2012 cruise.

We are inflexible about the cabin style we want and usually want the same cabin number so we book a year in advance most of the time in order to get it.

We booked a crise 2 months ago for August 2012, and 'our' cabin was already booked. :(

We are inflexible about the cabin style we want and usually want the same cabin number so we book a year in advance most of the time in order to get it.

We booked a crise 2 months ago for August 2012, and 'our' cabin was already booked. :(

oh no!! I can see how one would want to plan early for a desired cabin location. DH and I have only been on 5 cruises with 4 different cruise lines. We are still very wet behind the ears, as far as cruising is concerned.

Thanks for your reply.

The most we've ever planned out for a cruise is six months. We may have talked about it a bit before then, but have never booked farther out than that. The tightest we've done is six weeks - we booked our January Panama Canal cruise in December.

6 months is usually our window time for planning, booking and sailing. Last year we booked a cruise on Black Friday (day after American Thanksgiving) and sailed the first week of Jan. It gave me little time to mentally prepare. There were good and bad results. Which is why DH and I decided to plan earlier this time, however now, I think I am overthinking everything.

Thanks for answering my silly poll!

I generally book 6-9 months in advance, since I always book the cruise and flight at the same time. Although the cruise schedule comes out really early I also like to verify flight prices to be 100% sure what cruise I will be taking. Just an example, I was going to do a 7 day out of San Juan, Puerto Rico but found that the flights costs more than the cruise itself. I am now going to take a longer one out of Florida for the same overall price.

I choose the 3 month option, but it's typically closer to 2 months, or, often, just after the final payment is due.

We've cruised quite a bit, especially in the Caribbean, so the itinerary isn't that important, but price is. So we tend to wait as so far we've always gotten the best deals closer to sailing time. (Of course, this doesn't always work and if you want a particular itinerary/cabin, it's best to book earlier.)

Flights are the one thing that we have to make sure are available either at a good price or using FF miles. It helps to be flexible (retired)!

I voted for "as soon as possible" but that's mostly for the cabin choice, I'm too picky. I just booked one for my sister and I in March and all the good cabins for 4 were gone...9 months away....AND I am a planner and love the planning part...and my DH is school teacher so we can only travel when everyone else can travel. He retires in 3 more school years so we will be more flexible. Donna

Most of the above, but now we go for the absolute last minute....being retired, we can block off a few weeks, and look for the special offers.

On our cruise last week, there was announcements that there was a special offer going for anyone who wished to stay on board for the next cruise- 11 days to the Canaries.....now, that really would be a last minute cruise! ;)

Jo

Some itineraries are only offered once or twice a year. For these, if you don't book early, you might not get on! Our upcoming cruise was wait listed in all categories over a year out. We booked in July 2010 for a Sept 2011 cruise and there were limited cabins to choose from.

I have booked as much as 2 years in advance :eek:

We like to travel with family/friends and prefer balcony cabins together in a certain area of the ship...so booking as soon as it is open has worked for us.

If it's just the 2 of us, we don't need to book that far in advance.

Archived