what is a cove balcony?

kcteach12

The cove balconies are only on the newer large ships. We had one on the Dream last year and loved it. The coves are all on the Main deck, which is very low on the ship. You are close to the water - and can hear the splashing of the water much clearer as it glides through the water. It's a very different experience from the balcony.

The room itself is pretty much like any other balcony. The balcony is a little less "open" as it does not have the clear opening at the bottom - but we absolutely loved it. Felt a little more private. On the Dream, it's the only deck that you can stand on your balcony and look straight down to water. The way the other decks are laid out, if you look down, you are usually looking down at deck 5 (the lanai.)

For now, it's the best price of the balconies, but they are gaining in popularity - so one of these days Carnival will probably catch on and make them more expensive. We've booked our next cruise on the Dream again, and booked the Cove again.

The cove balconies are only on the newer large ships. We had one on the Dream last year and loved it. The coves are all on the Main deck, which is very low on the ship. You are close to the water - and can hear the splashing of the water much clearer as it glides through the water. It's a very different experience from the balcony.

The room itself is pretty much like any other balcony. The balcony is a little less "open" as it does not have the clear opening at the bottom - but we absolutely loved it. Felt a little more private. On the Dream, it's the only deck that you can stand on your balcony and look straight down to water. The way the other decks are laid out, if you look down, you are usually looking down at deck 5 (the lanai.)

For now, it's the best price of the balconies, but they are gaining in popularity - so one of these days Carnival will probably catch on and make them more expensive. We've booked our next cruise on the Dream again, and booked the Cove again.

Thank you for your beautiful concise description. Just like OP, we have been curious too. That is just what we thought about the regular balconies (Upper, Empress etc.)...you look down onto the lanai deck.....and it appears that people walking on the lanai deck can look UP and see you on your balcony too?? So, the lanai sticks out thus the balconies are set back from the edge of the ship, correct? Only the cove balconies are right out to the sheet metal of the ships side? What is the view coming into port like from a cove being set so low?

I can't tell you much about them yet but we have booked a cove for our 5/13/12 cruise and can't wait. I have read nothing but positive things about them. From what I have read the balcony is a little larger than the other regular balconies. I am really looking forward to seeing how they are.

Here is a picture of what they look like on the outside of the ship. As you can see, they are under the lifeboats and you can look directly down on the water. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2987906950030186251tqOhqh The view is partially obstructed by the steel on the side of the ship as opposed to the glass rails on the upper balconies.

We were on the Panorama Deck and this is what we saw when we looked down. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2781873370030186251cHUdBb

If you are on the lanai, you can look up into the balconies on the next couple of decks.

Edited by RWolver672

I am also sailing on the C. Dream, 2/25/12 in a cove balcony, first time. I had a friend that highly recommended it. I cruised on this ship last Dec. and had a porthole which was an excellent value, but there are very few and they fill up early.

The ship is huge and beautiful.;)

• 4 years later...

Currently, only the Dream class ships (Dream, Breeze, and Magic) have the cove balconies. Your cove balcony has more leg room (45 sq ft vs 35 sq ft in a standard balcony).

th_DSC07745_zps4du913e5.jpg th_DSC07738_zps6ncuedvm.jpg th_DSC07688_zpslezl9nlz.jpg th_DSC07082_zps66pabtlq.jpg th_DSC07037_zpseqilngoe.jpg

You get views you usually don't get from a balcony above the lanai.

Here's hoping you enjoy your cove and have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

My first cruise on the Dream I made the mistake (for me) of booking a balcony on one of the upper decks. I really disliked looking down and seeing deck, instead of gorgeous ocean. It made me feel more separated from the ocean than I had been accustomed to on the Conquest class ships. When I booked my next cruise on a Dream class ship, the Breeze, I booked a cove balcony and loved it. In the future, I will always book a cove balcony when booking a Dream class ship. It is close to the water and affords more privacy than typical balconies. And most importantly, when you look down, you see ocean, not decking.

7 weeks until my next cove balcony on the Magic! Love being closer to the water. Some people don't like that the lifeboats are above you but it really doesn't make a difference, have had regular balconies before and just LOVE the coves. they're more private, and like the others have said, you look down into water not decks/people. And yes, there is a little more leg room. If you leave your door open at night, you hear the water, not people. I will get a cove whenever possible.

Are there always lifeboats above the cove balconies? Do they get any sun?

We've sailed in a cove 3 times on the Breeze. Obviously we fell in love with them the first time. There are a few cabins that dont have a lifeboat above them. But we have always had sun on ours.

Are there always lifeboats above the cove balconies? Do they get any sun?

On both the port and starboard sides, there are a few cove balconies that don't have a lifeboat directly overhead. A little over a year ago, based on the recommendations of some friends, we booked a cove balcony on the Breeze. I did a lot of research on line before choosing our cabin. I knew we didn't want a cabin directly under any noisy areas, like the galley. Even though the balconies are recessed and get very little direct sunlight, we also didn't want one with a lifeboat directly overhead. After looking at photos of the Breeze, and asking about cove balcony cabins on here, I ended up choosing cabin 2268. Except for a noisy family in the cabin next to us (which can happen just about anywhere), it was actually a very good choice. You won't have to worry about getting sunburned on your balcony, but the view of the ocean (as opposed to other decks below you) is worth not having direct sun on your balcony. ;)

Have had both (cove on dream and lido balcony on liberty and glory) and the cove wins hands down. Love being closer to the water. It's like an ocean front room. We booked a b2b on the breeze for next year and really looking forward to being back in a cove.

• 2 weeks later...