Upgrading to suite at posted price denied

I am past the final payment date on the Rhapsody of the Seas sailing on September 9 to Hawaii, and I have a balcony cabin but have always thought of upgrading to a JS if the price was right. I noticed on the Royal website last night that the price of a JS dropped to $2849. When I called to upgrade, I was told that the price for me (with an existing reservation) is $3099 PP and they don't see the price of $2849. I said the price is on their website and was told it was probably for new bookings only, but she really didn't know. All she knew was my cost would be $3,099. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought you could always upgrade, even after final payment and the cost would be exactly what is posted on their web-site.

Any constructive suggestions or insights?

THANKS!

If the posted price has restrictions like for new bookings only you can´t upgrade at that rate, so no it´s not always at the rate you see on the website.

However it´s always worth a try to call again, worst is they tell you the same.

The problem is the price code on that price you are seeing is tagged with ....

Allow Bookings to be Converted:NO

So even though it's technically not a special or one day sale thing....it's still for new bookings only. RCCL is going more and more in this direction.....I wouldn't depend on being able to upgrade due to price drops much anymore.

The problem is the price code on that price you are seeing is tagged with ....

Allow Bookings to be Converted:NO

So even though it's technically not a special or one day sale thing....it's still for new bookings only. RCCL is going more and more in this direction.....I wouldn't depend on being able to upgrade due to price drops much anymore.

I don't see that anywhere????

You wouldn't.

Usually it will say (or have an *) for New Bookings Only?????

I'm sorry, I love to sail RC but this is a game that they play. I've called many times over the years and gotten this same story. There's no notation, no asterisk...nothing on the listed price but yet you still get told it's for a new booking. I would definitely keep calling back.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

:D

Doesn't make much sense as they have one D1 and D2 guarantee only left --but 15 JS's. Looks like it would be easier to sell your balcony than a JS and everyone would benefit:confused:--but who knows their reasoning:rolleyes:

It used to be that you could not take advantage of a better price for the same cabin catagory, but you could upgrade to a higher cabin catagory if the price were to come down.

Now, I'm reading that if one is booked in a lower cabin and wants to upgrade to a better cabin.....they have to do it at "the old price".

Where is their head? Mr. Goldstein has his head in one place, and it certainly has not been in "customer service"!!:rolleyes:

Rick

My sailing on Oasis is September 3rd. My final payment was made quite awhile ago.

After hearing about how small the balconies were, I asked about a guarantee for suites.

My internet agency did not have one on their site but when I checked with Royal Caribbean, they said they had it available.

Just the other day I asked my TA to get it for me & they did.

My reservation then immediately said cat.W.

The next morning when I checked, there was a JS cabin assigment.

Saved me over $500. booking a JS direct :O)

It used to be that you could not take advantage of a better price for the same cabin catagory, but you could upgrade to a higher cabin catagory if the price were to come down.

Now, I'm reading that if one is booked in a lower cabin and wants to upgrade to a better cabin.....they have to do it at "the old price".

Where is their head? Mr. Goldstein has his head in one place, and it certainly has not been in "customer service"!!:rolleyes:

Rick

Oh, I am sorry to hear that it is now problematic to buy an upgrade after final payment. I can understand the price reduction policy, but it would be nice to be able to upgrade. After all, if there are so many suites available close to sail date, it suggests that Royal did a poor job with their price structure prior to final payment.

The OP's sailing still has 15 JS available well past final payment on a relocation cruise during shoulder season. It seems likely that Royal will have to further reduce the price of those JS cabins to fill them. Royal might be better off to take more money from the OP now and re-sell her balcony cabin than wait and discount more heavily later. And they would have a happy customer.

Thanks everybody for your replies! I really wish I could get that price for the JS but it doesn't seem likely. I guess things have changed, and upgrading is not as easy as it could be. Seems silly when they could take back my balcony and get a better price than I paid originally! I will keep calling and trying - that's really all I can do.

I am past the final payment date on the Rhapsody of the Seas sailing on September 9 to Hawaii, and I have a balcony cabin but have always thought of upgrading to a JS if the price was right. I noticed on the Royal website last night that the price of a JS dropped to $2849. When I called to upgrade, I was told that the price for me (with an existing reservation) is $3099 PP and they don't see the price of $2849. I said the price is on their website and was told it was probably for new bookings only, but she really didn't know. All she knew was my cost would be $3,099. Has this happened to anyone else? I thought you could always upgrade, even after final payment and the cost would be exactly what is posted on their web-site.

Any constructive suggestions or insights?

THANKS!

We are on this cruise as well and I have looked to see if we might find a chance to upgrade. Every time I look I am redirected to Radiance of the Seas on Sept 16th.

How did you find an available rate for Rhapsody on 09/09?

We are on this cruise as well and I have looked to see if we might find a chance to upgrade. Every time I look I am redirected to Radiance of the Seas on Sept 16th.

How did you find an available rate for Rhapsody on 09/09?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do?hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&cruiseType=CO&state=&packageCode=RH12H009&sailDate=1110909

Awhile back, I had booked an inside cabin. After I made my final payment but a day prior to when it was due, they had a balcony cabin for just $100 pp more than my inside. We are talking a 15 day cruise so this is significant.

I don't want to tell you the hoops my TA had to jump through to get me that upgrade--on a Saturday, no less. He spent an hour on the phone and moved three people up the food chain to get to someone who would do it. I think he finally pointed out that I could cancel and rebook if that's the way they wanted to play the game and it would be a whole lot easier just to give me the upgrade and be done with it.

Tucker in Texas

Not always. It can go either way. I booked two Enchantment cruises for next January and the prices have gone up dramatically since then and one sailing has many sold out categories.

Yep. Same here for my Thanksgiving cruise. I booked the day after Thanksgiving last year. For the price I got a JS back then, I would be paying $300 more to get an ocean view right now. Yikes! :eek:

Archived