Lock Suitcases?

AuntieEm

This will be the first time sailing out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam, we decided to do a pre cruise hotel package and according to the web site "hotel porterage is included." If my understanding is correct, we supposedly won't see our suitcases again until we are in our cabin. My question is do we lock our suitcases? Not sure how it works.:confused:

We always lock our suitcases, either with padlocks,TSA approved locks or cable ties, depending on which part of the world we are travelling.

We certainly locked our suitcases for the Porter at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver, to take our cases down to the ship.

Please ensure that you attach the HAL luggage label before the porter collects your luggage.

This will be the first time sailing out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam, we decided to do a pre cruise hotel package and according to the web site "hotel porterage is included." If my understanding is correct, we supposedly won't see our suitcases again until we are in our cabin. My question is do we lock our suitcases? Not sure how it works.:confused:

Yes

I never lock my suitcases and have never had a problem. If someone wants to see what's inside, they'll get in there....lock or no lock. Do what makes you feel safe. It's a crap shoot as to whether someone is going to try to break into your bag and I'd say the odds are pretty good no one is going to try it.

We lock ours but not so much that it keeps people out as it keeps or reduces the chances that the zipper is going to get caught on something and open by mistake. Anybody who has flown enough has seen the scene where a piece of luggage comes off the conveyor belt in an airport trailing the contains one piece at a time. :) Might say the only time we've had anything missing from a suitcase was a windbreaker in an unlocked side pocket of a suitcase. It was zipped closed before and after so somebody obviously unzipped the side pocket, took the jacket, and zipped it closed. They may or may not have gone to all that trouble if the side pocket had been locked or somehow secured. It just taught us to keep everything in the main compartment with the lock on it. By the way, that happened on our way back from the Volendam so somewhere at the airport in Ft Lauderdale, Dallas, or San Antonio.

Since the dawn of the TSA era we have gone from durable (but expensive) Hartman luggage to cheap, throw it away after two cruises stuff. the Hartmans always got opened by TSA, the cheaper stuff not so much. The TSA locks are a joke, every TSA worker's brother in law has a set of keys as well. They all steal.

Yes, & it is also a good idea to place/secure a strap around your checked luggage as well!

Might say the only time we've had anything missing from a suitcase was a windbreaker in an unlocked side pocket of a suitcase. It was zipped closed before and after so somebody obviously unzipped the side pocket, took the jacket, and zipped it closed.

That reminded me of an incident with my first HAL cruise. My cabin mate had checked his suitcase with the airline but, surprise, it didn't arrive with the flight. We had flown in a day early and the suitcase didn't arrive the day of the cruise. After boarding the ship, he had to go into Boston and buy some emergency clothes for the cruise. Thank goodness for Filene's basement where an emergency wardrobe didn't cost a fortune.

When the suitcase finally caught up with the ship, he was dismayed to find that his new windbreaker had been taken out of the suitcase. He talked about the stolen windbreaker the entire cruise. When he got home, he was putting away his luggage and guess what - he found his windbreaker. Turns out he changed suitcases at the last minute and forgot to transfer the windbreaker.

Losing luggage is the best way to learn just how few clothes you really need when travelling.

Back to your original question - I recommend locking your suitcases for the reason already stated: it helps keep the zipper closed.

... and according to the web site "hotel porterage is included." If my understanding is correct, we supposedly won't see our suitcases again until we are in our cabin.
Check the website again or give them a call. I'm thinking all this means is that they will take your bags to your room at the hotel and will come get them and take them downstairs for you.

That reminded me of an incident with my first HAL cruise. My cabin mate had checked his suitcase with the airline but, surprise, it didn't arrive with the flight. We had flown in a day early and the suitcase didn't arrive the day of the cruise. After boarding the ship, he had to go into Boston and buy some emergency clothes for the cruise. Thank goodness for Filene's basement where an emergency wardrobe didn't cost a fortune.

When the suitcase finally caught up with the ship, he was dismayed to find that his new windbreaker had been taken out of the suitcase. He talked about the stolen windbreaker the entire cruise. When he got home, he was putting away his luggage and guess what - he found his windbreaker. Turns out he changed suitcases at the last minute and forgot to transfer the windbreaker.

Losing luggage is the best way to learn just how few clothes you really need when travelling.

Back to your original question - I recommend locking your suitcases for the reason already stated: it helps keep the zipper closed.

Had to smile at your story.....almost all of us who travel frequently have had that happen to us. Will have to say in our case we found the windbreaker hanging in the cabin disembarkation morning during our final check of drawers and closets and hand carried it off the ship. We felt particularly stupid later on because we had a discussion about the risk of putting it in one of the luggage side pockets after we claimed our luggage in the terminal and decided it would be OK...obviously it wasn't. :o

Check the website again or give them a call. I'm thinking all this means is that they will take your bags to your room at the hotel and will come get them and take them downstairs for you.
With our (HAL booked) pre-cruise night at the Pan Pacific, we were told to leave our luggage in the hotel room when we checked out to take the HAL Vancouver city tour. (We were dropped at the ship after the HAL city tour.) The hotel or HAL porters took care of getting the luggage from the room to the ship and when we saw it next, it was in our ship's cabin.

AuntieEm ... we did lock our luggage and made sure the Zuiderdam tags were on them. Do double check to make sure this "hotel room to cruise cabin" service is what is being included just to be sure. Cruising off with no luggage wouldn not be good.:eek:

I travel a lot, unfortunately mainly for work, and the one thing I have always done is lock my suitcase every time and when ever (where ever) I leave it– it’s not even so much for what can be stolen out of it but rather what can be put it.

People often do not lock because things “are insured” or whatever other reason, but do not realize that an unlocked suitcase also runs the risk of being used in a much less obvious and more dangerous way. It is also why I always travel with hard shell cases and therefore no outside pockets.

You would not carry a strangers luggage through customs, or onto a ship / transport or anywhere else for them so don’t run the risk of letting someone get you to do this unintentionally either.

My warning really is be aware of what can be added to your luggage and the subsequent consequences .

You don't need a suitcase lock to keep an honest person out of your bag.

No lock will keep a determined thief out.

Don't bother IMO

Get zipties if you want to be sure zippers don't open accidentally. Put a nail clipper or nail scissor in suitcase front pocket to use for cutting the zip tie.

Wow, painting with a broad brush. :rolleyes: I have never had anything stolen out of my luggage.

I went on a business trip to Boston from Toronto. While in off time I took advantage and bought baby clothes as they were so much cheapter in Boston than at home. so much less than for a number of things I bought 2 of the same in different sizes (18 months and 2 years for example).

This was in the fall of 2002 and therefore full into the 9/11 Homeland Security. Not only were we told NOT to lock our suitcases that if we did lock them they would take a knife to them and slit them open.

Well Guess what. Everything I bought two of, 1 was gone. There was a nice :confused: letter on the top of my suitcase though stating that Homeland Security had inspected my suitcase and if I had any issues please call the provided number.

Well I called that blasted number for days at all hours and all I got was a busy signal. :mad:

I have flown to 22 countries and travelled and have never locked a suitcase and never had anything else go missing. Lucky? Perhaps, but you have to not make luggage interesting to the people who run the xrays.

If my suitcase is gonna be out of my sight, it's gonna be locked. Every time.

I want to slow down anyone who wants to take something out, or put something in. And I want it to stay closed.

I never lock my suitcases and have never had a problem. If someone wants to see what's inside, they'll get in there....lock or no lock. Do what makes you feel safe. It's a crap shoot as to whether someone is going to try to break into your bag and I'd say the odds are pretty good no one is going to try it.

I agree.

We never lock our luggage ...all valuables(I would be sad to lose ) are in my care or on my person. Rather not have my luggage ruined by thieves or officials ,if they felt the need to see inside.;)

Sorry to burst bubbles here, and I don't really mean to be negative, but here's reality. If you lock your bags to better ensure that they'll stay closed that's fine. However, if you're locking them with the belief that your going to prevent something from being stolen, or slow down a thief, you're wasting your time. Over the years I've had the occasion to visit the luggage handling/screening areas in a couple of airports numerous times and I can tell you with absolute certainty that an individual can access your luggage with or without a lock in a matter of seconds. Aside from TSA, numerous airline/airport employees from various backgrounds have access to your luggage. There are so many bags that even with camera monitoring there's no way all the bags can be watched all the time. TSA has universal keys that fit all TSA approved locks. If the key won't fit, a simple set of handheld cutters will do the trick nicely on a hanging lock, and I've got some nice swamp land for sale if you believe that none of those TSA luggage master keys have ever gone missing. Your best bet is to always carry anything valuable, including medications, in your carry-on bag or on your person. People are less likely to steal clothing as opposed to medications, electronics or jewelry. :)

With our (HAL booked) pre-cruise night at the Pan Pacific, we were told to leave our luggage in the hotel room when we checked out to take the HAL Vancouver city tour. (We were dropped at the ship after the HAL city tour.) The hotel or HAL porters took care of getting the luggage from the room to the ship and when we saw it next, it was in our ship's cabin.

AuntieEm ... we did lock our luggage and made sure the Zuiderdam tags were on them. Do double check to make sure this "hotel room to cruise cabin" service is what is being included just to be sure. Cruising off with no luggage wouldn not be good.:eek:

Thank you, that's what my understanding was but I will check to make sure. And I will make sure my suitcase is locked.

Get zipties if you want to be sure zippers don't open accidentally. Put a nail clipper or nail scissor in suitcase front pocket to use for cutting the zip tie.[/b]

That's a good idea, I have actually done that before. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

Sorry to burst bubbles here, and I don't really mean to be negative, but here's reality. If you lock your bags to better ensure that they'll stay closed that's fine. However, if you're locking them with the belief that your going to prevent something from being stolen, or slow down a thief, you're wasting your time. Over the years I've had the occasion to visit the luggage handling/screening areas in a couple of airports numerous times and I can tell you with absolute certainty that an individual can access your luggage with or without a lock in a matter of seconds. Aside from TSA, numerous airline/airport employees from various backgrounds have access to your luggage. There are so many bags that even with camera monitoring there's no way all the bags can be watched all the time. TSA has universal keys that fit all TSA approved locks. If the key won't fit, a simple set of handheld cutters will do the trick nicely on a hanging lock, and I've got some nice swamp land for sale if you believe that none of those TSA luggage master keys have ever gone missing. Your best bet is to always carry anything valuable, including medications, in your carry-on bag or on your person. People are less likely to steal clothing as opposed to medications, electronics or jewelry. :)

Normally flying in the US we don't lock our suitcases cause there is nothing of value in them just clothes. We keep all our valuables in our carry on. This trip too will be the same we will have our valuables with us and just clothes in the suitcase. Just wasn't sure about the porters and who knows who else is handling our suitcases. Don't want to make it easy for someone to go through them. But you're right, if someone wants in your suitcase, they are going to get in. But I think we will go ahead and lock or zip tie them just the same.

We "lock" ours with a key ring, the kind you thread your car keys on. It is a pain in the .... to get off but the only reason i do it is to make sure the zipper doesn't open and all my stuff ends up running around on the luggage carousel!!

Centuryguy is right, a determined person will get into your suitcase regardless, or just take the wole thing!! Had that happen and no lock would have prevented it.

But, I feel better that no one can add something quickly to my case or take something quickly from my case with the key ring lock.

Archived