Formal nights - to hire or not to hire?

Pet

Can anyone help with a dilemma? We are doing a 16 night cruise on the Solstice next year which I think involves 3 formal nights. The High Command will no doubt want to take a gown for each (can’t possibility be seen in the same one twice!!) but there is only so much you can pack without incurring airline charges. So I was wondering if it would be more cost effective for me to hire a tux and accompanying accoutrements on board – but would that work out more expensive that bringing my own. Does anyone known what the daily hiring costs are on Celebrity?

Many thanks in anticipation

:o:)

I'm renting a tux and shoes for my upcoming Equinox cruise. First time I've done it, and this is my 7th cruise. Always brought my own dark suit. However, we will be in Italy for a few days before the cruise out of Civitavecchia and there will be train travel involved. I'm really wanting to lighten and shrink my load, so I'm not hurting myself (I'm > 50) shlepping around a heavy bulky suitcase. Wifey was totally onboard about this expense. I just reserved the plain black Classic tux ($85) and shoes ($12). There's also a $4 charge in there to cover any potential damage I think. So the total for me is just over $100. I don't think I'd do this if I weren't riding trains beforehand and/or having to physically lug it around for several days before or after a cruise. But it seems to be worth it to me for this situation.

So I was wondering if it would be more cost effective for me to hire a tux and accompanying accoutrements on board – but would that work out more expensive that bringing my own. Does anyone known what the daily hiring costs are on Celebrity?

I usually take (1) tuxedo jacket and trousers. I will take two different tuxedo shirts (a standard with the wing collar and a banded collar). I also take the standard black bow tie and also a red bow tie with the matching front pocket kerchief. If I don't feel like wearing a tux on a given night, I also take a sport coat, dress shirt and tie.

A rental could possibly be more cost effective but being a Big guy, I want to be sure that everything 'fits' before I go.

My DW loves formal nights and I prefer that she take a different outfit for each night. After 28 years, she still looks HOT in her formal wear so I can't complain.

Here is the rental site:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

And the cost is $130 for full Tux rental. enjoy! I've started taking a dark suit instead. I then use the pants as slacks for other times, use the coat as a jacket when i want to spruce up a light set of pants with a shirt and jacket for an evening, and so on. I've even taken a bowtie along with regular ties to give my suit a 'tux look' to go along with my wife's formal look.

So there are alternatives to taking a tux - you can take a suit that have some flexibility in wearing 'parts' other nights.

Have a great cruise!

Den

Really depends upon your baggage situation and travel plans. If i can get to port by driving, then I always take my tux with me. if flying is necessary, then I will rent aboard ship. Formalwear is quite heavy, especially the shoes, and really pushes the allowable weight limit. As for the DW's gowns, certain allowances are acceptable. (politically correct to the max) :)

How many cases do you take? If more than 1 per person you will pay a fee for the extra case. Which airline are you flying and what do they charge for the extra case, both going and coming? That is the determining factor when considering renting a Tux or not.

We rented for our first cruise and were not happy with the fit (after being measured at a tuxedo rental location) and one shirt actually had an iron mark on it. I know it does add some weight, but we would rather be comfortable and bring what we know will fit.

Some of us really do love formal nights (guys look sooooo great in tuxs:D) My DH rents a tux now instead of the lugging a suit (he doesn't own a tux). He does bring a pair of black dress shoes and multipurpose's them for rest of the nights. They have "extras" onboard so it is important to try it on right away and make sure it fits to your satisfaction. He had a shirt with sleeves too short one time and need to adjust the waist size on an other cruise. The room steward handled getting replacements both times within a half an hour. I'll bet 2/3's of the clothes (& shoes;)) I bring on a cruise are for dinner and formal nights - the rest is for the pool and town. Have fun what ever you decide!

Cheers

Would you rather have a nice relaxed, somewhat intimate meal with excellent service and food, or would you like to rent a tuxedo and carry and wear fancy formal gear to have dinner with 1500 other folks eating the normal MDR food.

I don't know about you and your spouse, but for us, it's a really easy decision.

I've rented on three occasions before and am doing so again on our upcoming cruise. I think it is good value and have never had a problem with fit. If I had I knew that the cabin steward could take the tux away for alterations.

Would you rather have a nice relaxed, somewhat intimate meal with excellent service and food, or would you like to rent a tuxedo and carry and wear fancy formal gear to have dinner with 1500 other folks eating the normal MDR food.

I don't know about you and your spouse, but for us, it's a really easy decision.

That's why there are so many choices.....and I don't see how, for me, putting on a suit keeps me from having a 'nice relaxed and certainly intimate meal with excellent service and food' in the MDR. I do not consider one of the specialty restaurants an 'intimate' place - that is what our balcony is for.

For us, its an easy decision also...we enjoy the change. If I wanted to just do what I do at my local restaurants, I wouldn't consider the cruise anything really special, at least in that context....but again, that is why there are other options that you can take and I can take, and we see them as providing the same 'nice, relaxing' time.

Then we could meet, you in your relaxed casual clothes and us in our relaxed tux/suit/formal dress, sit and have a drink together and a nice relaxing social time! But of course since I'm sitting there in my Tux, I'd just have to order a Martini: gin, dry, shaken, and not stirred.

Den

That's why there are so many choices.....and I don't see how, for me, putting on a suit keeps me from having a 'nice relaxed and certainly intimate meal with excellent service and food' in the MDR. I do not consider one of the specialty restaurants an 'intimate' place - that is what our balcony is for.

For us, its an easy decision also...we enjoy the change. If I wanted to just do what I do at my local restaurants, I wouldn't consider the cruise anything really special, at least in that context....but again, that is why there are other options that you can take and I can take, and we see them as providing the same 'nice, relaxing' time.

Then we could meet, you in your relaxed casual clothes and us in our relaxed tux/suit/formal dress, sit and have a drink together and a nice relaxing social time! But of course since I'm sitting there in my Tux, I'd just have to order a Martini: gin, dry, shaken, and not stirred.

Den

On Celebrity ships, I generally stick to Stoli elit straight and shaken. I have to admit that dining at Murano was nicer when they had live music...I do miss that touch. I have two tuxedos and when we cruised with our kids, we did the whole nine yards (they also had tuxedos and appropriate dresses). Now that it's the two of us cruising, both retired, we opt for lighter luggage and comfort....and since we like the specialty restaurants, it's just a natural to eat there on formal nights. Yes, perhaps not as intimate as a dinner on the balcony (assuming you have one that is truly private), but certainly more relaxed (to us) than the main dining room.

Hope to meet you some day after dinner....

Can anyone help with a dilemma? We are doing a 16 night cruise on the Solstice next year which I think involves 3 formal nights. The High Command will no doubt want to take a gown for each (can’t possibility be seen in the same one twice!!) but there is only so much you can pack without incurring airline charges. So I was wondering if it would be more cost effective for me to hire a tux and accompanying accoutrements on board – but would that work out more expensive that bringing my own. Does anyone known what the daily hiring costs are on Celebrity?

If it's important to you, bring your own tux because it will most likely fit and look better than a rental. Rentals get lots of wear and tear.. If you don't want to go the tux route a nice dress suit will work too. Just a thought. :)

My wife and I don't do formal (any more), but from experience, if you want to do the formal tuxedo, buy one...even a cheap one...and get it tailored to fit. You will be far more comfortable, you will look better, and you will quickly save money because tuxedos can be surprisingly inexpensive. Buy a couple of tux shirts online, anything is better than the plastic shoes that most rental companies provide. So in essence, my message is to do it right....and you'll feel and look good.

I've done both...and I have never had a reasonably fitting, good looking rental tux.

On the other hand, I hope that I find you with us in a specialty restaurant on formal night in a nice blazer and slacks or nice resort casual outfit :)

It depends on your traveling preferences. We love the tux rental. Here is why. We are minimalists who just did 12 days (10 days cruising with two carry-ons and one medium suitcase between us. I was able to pack my horseback riding gear (helmet, boots etc.) for some riding I did in Victoria, and we had room left over to bring home a few goodies. Our methods? 1. Tux rental--hassle free. No suit, sports coat or heavy dress shoes to pack. 2. I wear the same dressy top and dress slacks to formal nights. No one has ever complained that I wore the same thing twice. 3. Minimize the number of shoes. 4. Layer, mix and match, stick to "resort casual" for all but formal nights. 5. Do laundry. We did it once and it was expensive but worth it. If we were bringing another suitcase, I would have packed a dark suit for DH, but we like taking as little as possible. If it weren't for the airlines' "liquids" rules, I'd try to do the whole trip with 2 carry-ons, my large purse, and our two multi-pocket travel jackets. I'd love to just walk out of the airport and board start our vacation without a backache. Sorry to be off topic here, but I wanted to explain why tux rental works great for people like us.

I have a suit, shirt, shoes and a tie for each formal night, and I will wear it for all the formal nights. I am only wearing it for 2 to 3 hours each night and take a shower before hand. Basically it would be the same as renting a tux and wearing the same for each night. If anyone really remembers that it is the same who cares. I don't really notice or remember what anyone wears. Don't really care, it doesn't affect my cruise.

I had to purchase a tux some years ago in order to attend some of my DW's office functions. Consequently, I prefer to take my own rather than rent, though I have given that option some consideration. To provide a bit of variety I have several cumberbund/tie sets and a vest to choose from when packing.

This last cruise I had my tux pressed onboard and expect I'll follow this practice on future cruises. Thus my only concern is how much space the tux takes up in my luggage. DW and I tend to take a medium, carry-on sized, bag each and share a larger "checked" bag containing our formal attire and a few other items.

My advice would be to bring your own. On BA you could pay for a whole extra suitcase for the cost of hiring a DJ/Tux! We have paid much less for internal flights within the US on US based airlines. My husband purchased his [very nice] DJ on eBay for less than the OP has quoted for hiring on for a single cruise. Simple economics.

Sue

Do you really want to wear a rented pinguin suit that has been worn by hundreds of other men before you do, on the most glamourous nights aboard?!:eek::eek:

So no, don't rent a tuxedo is my advice. Wear a nice dark suit with a modern tie and you'll be elegant, formal and in with fashion.

Despegue

Archived