Upgraded then changed my mind, not allowed to downgrade?

Mariketa

I upgraded my Balcony room to a JS, the next day I decided I'd rather not since we probably wouldn't be in the room all that much (we have alot of friends and family going with us). I called to see if I could change to a guaranteed balcony, but they said that since it was after the final pay date, I was locked in to the rate and could not change. I was 23 days out, now I'm 21 days out. Do any of you know if there is anything I can do, take the difference in OBC, anything?

look at it this way..

1) you'll get double c & a points

2) you'll have more room to hang with your peeps

3) bigger room/bigger balcony/ bigger closet

4) bathrub

5) did i say double crown & anchor points!:D

have fun...but you'll be spoiled!!

I upgraded my Balcony room to a JS, the next day I decided I'd rather not since we probably wouldn't be in the room all that much (we have alot of friends and family going with us). I called to see if I could change to a guaranteed balcony, but they said that since it was after the final pay date, I was locked in to the rate and could not change. I was 23 days out, now I'm 21 days out. Do any of you know if there is anything I can do, take the difference in OBC, anything?

Call asap and take some of the sting out and switch your JS to Cabin #1028....

It has a very large balcony and the cabin is even larger then a regular JS cabin.

It's a Handicap JS cabin which after a certain time they let anyone reserve them.........Don't wait long to think about it either because it won't last long.

Call right now and let us know if you got it.

Once you see the cabin you will be glad you upgraded, just wondered how much more did you pay to upgrade?

Also for a JS you will get double the cruise points for Crown and Anchor.

It will not cost you anything to switch either but call right away otherwise someone else will grab it for sure.

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

Call asap and take some of the sting out and switch your JS to Cabin #1028....

It has a very large balcony and the cabin is even larger then a regualar JS cabin.

It's a Handicap JS cabin which after a certain time they let anyone reserve them.........Don't wait long to think about it either because it won't last long.

Call right now and let us know if you got it.

Once you see the cabin you will be glad you upgraded, just wondered how much more did you pay to upgrade?

Also for a JS you will get double the cruise points for Crown and Anchor.

It will not cost you anything to switch either but call right away otherwise someone else will grab it for sure.

Good Luck

I always like Jimbo's cabin recommendations.

I think a JS will be good for you. People can't really hang out in cabins smaller than that and since you're travelling with friends and family, it will come in handy.

Just putting my oar in.... please don't reserve a HC room if you don't need it. Someone else just might.....

Cruise is very close, no one is going to use it. If it was a long way out the OP would not have booked it. It's available now to anyone.

Thank you for the suggestion, I did call and change it!

I do worry though about keeping it from someone who is handicapped? If that happens, will they call me to see about changing? I have it checked for an automatic upgrade, so I'm hoping if that situation arises, they'll figure something out.

It cost me $340 to upgrade, I just didn't realize that I'd had a JS on the Rhapsody before and while it was nice, I was thinking I might like that money to spend on the ship. I do like the double points though, booking a JS this time will bump me to Platinum, so yay for that!

Thanks again!

Sheila

Just putting my oar in.... please don't reserve a HC room if you don't need it. Someone else just might.....

I would agree with you if OP wasn't sailing in 3 weeks. Surely somebody who needed it would already have booked it.

And size isn't everything. We peeked into an accessible JS on Jewel a couple of weeks ago (actually we walked through it since it was disembarkatino day & the pax had left). The cabin is huge, but in order to accomodate a wheelchair, there's no sofa, just a small-ish loveseat. The balcony is a good size, but I like my creature comforts inside the cabin, too.

Okay, I have to know, how did you know I got it? lol.

It's a secret ;)

Btw.......they cabin you gave up all the way at the end of the ship might have had a window washing thing right outside your balcony the entire week. You would not have liked that.

For $340 you did well.

I'm just jealous of the price of a JS of that Serenade sailing compared to what we are paying on the the 2-25-2012 cruise. I have a feeling there might be a nice drop after final payment for a JS guarantee. It shows no suites available now, but nine JS's mysteriously disappeared a few days ago. It's going to be tough for me not to be jealous if the price drops a lot and we can't price adjust. But win some, lose some.

But I keep saying I'm happy to have booked early, just in case. And flights are currently more than what I payed, and I like our cabin. I just like a good deal too :D I'm assuming you can't jump into the guarantee pool after final payment?

Was upgraded to a cabin with that DARN window washing unit and yes it IS a bi, BIG deal. Hated it . Would have been happier where we were bu that cabin was gone so we were there for 9 days. You did good by getting out of Dodge and into your balcony cabin. Don't fret about HC passenger at this late date. Before final payment always think about them after all cabins are open for sale. This being said by someone that needs a HC cabin for a family member in our group.

So Jimbo...

What are the secrets to even getting an accessible cabin, 1 year out? Have a FIL that is in a scooter and have NEVER been able to help him into getting one...

Has he called RCI and actually asked for one? From my understanding they have to be able to prove they need the accesability it offers in order for it to be reserved. They don't offer the handicap rooms to the general public until all of that class has been sold out or it is very close to sail date.

Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form.

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

Has he called RCI and actually asked for one? From my understanding they have to be able to prove they need the accesability it offers in order for it to be reserved. They don't offer the handicap rooms to the general public until all of that class has been sold out or it is very close to sail date.

Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form.

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

Yes, I have personally called for him and still to no avail. I think oen major issue is that an accessible cabin is not offered in all cabin type and/or floors. Currently, have been sailing on Oasis class and have come to love the boardwalk cabin. Location is on primary reason for choice of cabin, deck 8 boardwalk cabins have been great, but I belive that the only accssible B1/B2 are up around 10-14th deck...

I would agree with you if OP wasn't sailing in 3 weeks. Surely somebody who needed it would already have booked it.

And size isn't everything. We peeked into an accessible JS on Jewel a couple of weeks ago (actually we walked through it since it was disembarkatino day & the pax had left). The cabin is huge, but in order to accomodate a wheelchair, there's no sofa, just a small-ish loveseat. The balcony is a good size, but I like my creature comforts inside the cabin, too.

Even though the cruise is so close I still disagree with non-handicapped booking in to an accessible stateroom. There are many people who don't book far out in advance, some of which might be HC.

My husband's grandparents can never book far in advance due to health issues. They always book on short notice, unfortunately there are times they cannot go because the HC rooms are booked by others. :( Twice we've tried to do a family cruise and they couldn't go, but everyone else did. On both cruises we saw young healthy people coming out of HC rooms!

Even though the cruise is so close I still disagree with non-handicapped booking in to an accessible stateroom. There are many people who don't book far out in advance, some of which might be HC.

My husband's grandparents can never book far in advance due to health issues. They always book on short notice, unfortunately there are times they cannot go because the HC rooms are booked by others. :( Twice we've tried to do a family cruise and they couldn't go, but everyone else did. On both cruises we saw young healthy people coming out of HC rooms!

Maybe someone from San Juan would book this cruise last minute..........but no one in the states would book 3 weeks out and have to pay that last minute airfare to San Juan and back.

If the HC person wants to book last minute, look at another sailing even 1 week before or 1 week after. Last minute cruisers can go anytime right?... that's why it's called last minute.

When you book last minute you get whats left, or you pick another sailing or ship or cruiseline...

look at it this way..

1) you'll get double c & a points

2) you'll have more room to hang with your peeps

3) bigger room/bigger balcony/ bigger closet

4) bathrub

5) did i say double crown & anchor points!:D

have fun...but you'll be spoiled!!

I never got a bathrub with my JS, how do you arrange for that? :)

Maybe someone from San Juan would book this cruise last minute..........but no one in the states would book 3 weeks out and have to pay that last minute airfare to San Juan and back.

If the HC person wants to book last minute, look at another sailing even 1 week before or 1 week after. Last minute cruisers can go anytime right?... that's why it's called last minute.

When you book last minute you get whats left, or you pick another sailing or ship or cruiseline...

RT airfare to SJU from Chicago area is $402 3 weeks from now. NYC is $373. do not kid yourself---lots of people could still get very affordable airfares to San Juan. It would be very easy for somebody to book airfare to San Juan, handicapped or otherwise...

Archived