"LIVE" from Explorer of the Seas / Nov 10, 2011

Radio

Hello everyone. . . Good Morning. Welcome to Day 3 of “LIVE” from Explorer of the Seas.

As I type this post, I have been thinking about doing some” LIVE” from the Explorer Videos, as I think it may be a little more realistic to see some video clips while I am on board. I think I may have the answer, but it may take a few more days to work out the details. I have often provided video clips (links) to YouTube where small 30sec clips can be viewed but I am trying to get them viewed on Cruise Critic.

I had a nice Formal dinner last night with a few Cruise Critic friends up on Deck 5 (MTD). It took a little while for the Hostess to figure out how to get a reservation for a table for 6 at a specific time, but we were able to get it. It seems that even during our time at dinner, there were dozens of tables that were unoccupied. I think that RCI has figured out how to enable My Time Dining, but the “Freestyle” dining concept is really mastered by NCL.

The Jazz Swing Production show last night (1030PM) was very good, but the Theater was only about half full. I can imagine that the event was a little late for many passengers.

I like the way that Explorer handle the Diamond nightly event here. . . Diamond members can use the 19th Hole Sports Bar up on Deck 14 every evening (5-830PM), while Diamond Plus can use the Concierge Longe (Deck 9) or the Seven Hearts Club (overflow) up on Deck 14.

The crew is suggesting that today will be much warmer than yesterday, as we will be several hundred mile east off the coast of Florida. The seas have calmed, and this morning the stars were in full view, so we are hoping for a sunny warm day.

Here are a few pics from last night and early this morning. . .I will have more pics today by around noon.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Both pools were emptied last night for repairs

F29.JPG

The Explorer of the Seas is lit up brightly under the dark skies

F30.JPG

The Theater is not very full just before the Show begins

F31.JPG

The singers were fantastic, and the live orchestra was very good as well.

F32.JPG

Early morning Deck 12 at Johnny Rockets.

F36.JPG

Early morning down on Deck 4

F28.JPG

Radio,

Sorry for backtracking a little here, but when you were taking pictures of the "security screening" and "cruise check-in" at Cape Liberty, did anyone discourage you from taking photos or give you...um...discouraging looks? I've always wanted to take photos of these areas to show family members, who have never cruised before, what the whole process is like, but I never have for fear that I would get in trouble for taking photos in certain areas.

I know that "some" agents, in "some" ports may discourage photos, but I can clearly remember when passengers asked some of the agents to take their photo while in the Terminal. They were happy to comply.

I usually just try to be discreet while I just take a few pics of the Terminal area. . .and no flash, of course.

Radio

;);)

I am sure Radio will be able to tell us if the sewer smell is fixed by now. Sure hope so I am boarding on 11/20

There may be some smells, but not from where I have been. . .maybe they have it under control.

Radio

;);)

Radio- Thank you so much. I am sipping a cup of coffee right now. ( I know how you love your Java too) and I feel like I am walking the decks with you.

Please say Hi to Carol and Meg for me. I will be on the Ex in february.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Nora

Radio,

Perhaps the little bit of choppy waters you were experiencing yesterday was Tropical Storm Sean off to your east? Isn't it amazing to see the climate gradually change? Hope you have warmer days (I'm sure you will), and keep the posts, pics. . . . and videos (maybe) coming. I'm loving cruising w/you!

Hi Radio: Thanks once again for the commentary and photos. Like Dianne and Nora, we'll once again be on the Explorer on 2/6. Your picutres are really making the anticipation rise, with only 3 months to go, these help it seems a little more real and closer. I've never seen Cape Liberty without mountains of snow - appreciate your pictures of the monument with some green grass. The inside shots are like comfort food for the eyes.

Pam & Walt

I know that "some" agents, in "some" ports may discourage photos, but I can clearly remember when passengers asked some of the agents to take their photo while in the Terminal. They were happy to comply.

I usually just try to be discreet while I just take a few pics of the Terminal area. . .and no flash, of course.

Radio

;);)

Just my 2 cents....Every time we take a picture, we're immediately told it isnt allowed, lol. (every cruise and no this doesnt stop us on the next, i'll always try) Never any glares, they didnt discourage, they blatantly have told us, "No pictures". I laugh, maybe it is b/c we're a family of 4 and its usually a picture of each other, once it was my daughter standing w/ the santa statue at cape liberty, boy oh boy some guard didnt like that I was taking her picture, lol. But, it is a really cute picture. :)

I think if you dont call attention to yourself, you're fine. LOL

Great pictures and updates, Radio. You do such a great job with this. I can almost feel the sea breeze against my face. And those morning picture of the pool area almost made me wipe the sleepy from my eyes. Guess I'll have to wait until Dec 1 for a first hand experince. I am getting some great ideas for our get togethers from your group. Thanks again. Guess I'll sneak down to the Promenade Cafe for a cup of coffee.;)

Hi, Radio -

I took some time this morning and caught up on your wonderful live broadcast thread. If anyone ever needed a "how to" take a cruise, this is it!! We will be on the Explorer 12/1 and, if it was possible to get even more excited about it, this did it.

This is our first time sailing out of NJ (we're driving up) and your pictures of the parking area and getting to the ship were really helpful. Now we just have to find the port...:confused:

Noticed you're planning to be on the Enchantment in May 2012. We're sailing on the 25th....will we see you?

Thanks again!!

Radio, again thank you for the map of your location. I wish I were there on that balcony. Thank you for continuing to post the pics of the rail n' sea. Your visuals take me to that place, and I like to remember the wind in my face and the smell of the sea.

I am organizing a M & G for Sept. 2012 cruise on NCL. I have never done a cabin and poker crawl, but it sounds fun.

Also, how is the gift exchange handled? I have never had prizes awarded by the cruise line before at an M & G. How is that arranged?

Thank you so much for spending your time and money to do this "live from." Many people are a little happier today, because of your posts.

I have a theory on why the production shows sometimes are not full. The same shows have been on the Explorer for years and many people, especially from the Metro NY area, take repeat cruises on the ship.

So after seeing a production show for 2 or more times, the passengers find something else to do.

From May 2007:

2082123010096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

In any case, enjoying your trip report. It is getting us geared up for the Silhouette on Dec 12th which will be doing the same itinerary out of Beautiful Downtown Bayonne.:cool::)

Thanks for your response to the "smell" question Radio. Enjoying your posts while sipping on a cup of Java. You are so very gracious of taking out time to do this "LIVE" report for all of us addicted cruisers. Thank you again ;)

Archived