LIVE from the Pacific Princess - 31 days from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale

Pia1913

Glad to hear your luggage finally arrived! Will be following along on your new live, say hi to Susan for us. Have sailed with the Capt. but all the other folks are new to us - although probably not to you and Mike....Have a great time, fair winds and following seas!

I enjoyed your other thread on the Ocean Princess. We have been on the Ocean, is there any difference between the two ships.

Have been on both - as Paul says, mostly just the names of things and some of the decor - murals and such, in the lounges and library. Otherwise, they are twins.

It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day here in Patmos. The wind is a bit chilly but it's really nice in the sun. Pia, Mike, Stan and I went off and walked around a bit and saw some interesting little shops. There isn't much to the town at all. I think we spent maybe 30 minutes on shore. Got back just in time to go to trivia and won my first prize--a pen!

We had a bit of trouble with our cabin as far as odor. Right now they are shampooing the carpet to see if that's what is causing the odor. I hope it takes care of it. Otherwise, wonderful cabin steward and wait staff. Food is great so far. Our bed is very hard and we had an egg crate put on. Hope that works out better tonight.

Comedian is Al Browne and he was quite funny last night for the short time he was on. Didn't win anything in the Treasure Hunt; nice prizes for the most part too.

Been waiting for the "live" to show up. If you can, post or keep notes on any private tours that have been arranged. This itinerary is on my bucket list. Have fun, good weather and stay well.

Tina,

Why don't you and Ken join John and me on the Pacific 5/12/12 and/or 5/24/12? We are planning a lot of good (i.e., strenuous :)) hikes!

Tina,

Why don't you and Ken join John and me on the Pacific 5/12/12 and/or 5/24/12? We are planning a lot of good (i.e., strenuous :)) hikes!

Some good ports but alas we are on the Diamond Princess till the 19th - another bucket list cruise for us. I'm drooling over your planned hikes though:D. Will you do a review of your hikes? Would love to read about them and keep info on our to do list. If you are still planning the stop in Santorini, take a look at Skaros Rock. Ken and I hiked there and it was way fun - Ken did do some growling about it though but he did it.

Some good ports but alas we are on the Diamond Princess till the 19th - another bucket list cruise for us. I'm drooling over your planned hikes though:D. Will you do a review of your hikes? Would love to read about them and keep info on our to do list. If you are still planning the stop in Santorini, take a look at Skaros Rock. Ken and I hiked there and it was way fun - Ken did do some growling about it though but he did it.

We're in Santorini tomorrow. Maybe I should look at this hike. Mike won't consider it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Here's a bit more to add to Caryn's post:

The sun came out, but did not improve our comfort level. Still cold (for us - it’s in the 50’s), but what makes it worse is the wind. Sunny wind; cloudy wind; all the same to me. The tender transfer here is being operated by the port itself and very efficient. Transfer time from ship to dockside is approx. 12 minutes.

As stated previously, Patmos is very small. There are several small stores and restaurants and some souvenir places as well. Otherwise, all we saw was one church and residential dwellings. There is a grocery store and I saw wine and soft drinks, but since my stock at present is quite large, didn’t need to go inside.

Info for those who need to know: cutoff for most traveled luncheon is 230 on this first part of the cruise. And yes, we already know that we have made first place. Amazing! We also know that this won’t happen on the next leg, since coming on board in Rome, will be a couple who have way more days than we do. This is actually a 12 and a 19 and there are lots of young people on board; even children. I am positive that most will be getting off in Rome

Time for afternoon trivia.

It’s Wednesday and we’re in Patmos, Greece. Sort of. We are actually anchored and will need to tender ashore when we do decide to go. Really rough night at sea; lots of rockin’ and rollin’, but eventually calmed down.

Thank you Paul for jumping in to answer the questions. To Linda: other dining would be Panorama buffet on shore days or Bistro on sea days.

Thank you for the heads up on other options for eating.

I hope this finds you feeling better.

It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day here in Patmos. The wind is a bit chilly but it's really nice in the sun. Pia, Mike, Stan and I went off and walked around a bit and saw some interesting little shops.

Comedian is Al Browne and he was quite funny last night for the short time he was on. Didn't win anything in the Treasure Hunt; nice prizes for the most part too.

Nice hearing that you are having a great time, but sorry to hear about the cabin odor. By the time you read this hopefully it has been resolved. Looking forward to trivia.

Pia: Congrats on being #1, do you get Champagne for that??

Caryn: I hope the smell in the room is gone by now, it is miserable to have a stinky room.

I hope you all have a fantastic day in Santorini, is anybody riding a donkey up?

OK. We went to the show last night. It’s amazing how the same show performed in different venues can be so totally different. This was not one of the good ones.

Good Morning from Santorini which some consider to be the prettiest of the Cyclades islands. The name of this island comes from its patroness, Saint Irene of Thessalonika, who died here in 304. The Venetians called her Sant’Irini, thus the name; Santorini. The present capital is the town of Thera, also called Fira. The cliffs surrounding the town show levels of volcanic debris from multiple eruptions through the centuries - last eruption was in 1948.

Now that I’ve given you the history, I’ll also tell you the stop here has been aborted. Captain came over the speaker a few minutes ago and said winds are at 35 knots and it is dangerous to tender. So off we go to Kusadasi. It doesn’t look bad out there and we are not rocking, but Captain rules.

Meanwhile, nothing to do on board this day either except for the afternoon movie “The King’s Speech.” Evening will bring another production show “Shake, Rattle and Roll”, a 50’s & 60’s sock hop and a late movie at 10 PM, “Unknown.”

Oh yes, there are a few little problems with the TV; haven’t had satellite at all, so don’t know what’s happening in the world. Also, the TV guide is wrong, so whatever it says is not what we get. The main problem is channel 32; the port talk channel. We haven’t as yet had a LIVE lecture and the recorded stuff we can’t hear. Several of us have complained to no avail. Obviously a technical issue which someone can’t or doesn’t want to address.

Meanwhile, nothing to do on board this day either except for the afternoon movie “The King’s Speech.” Evening will bring another production show “Shake, Rattle and Roll”, a 50’s & 60’s sock hop and a late movie at 10 PM, “Unknown.”

Oh yes, there are a few little problems with the TV; haven’t had satellite at all, so don’t know what’s happening in the world. Also, the TV guide is wrong, so whatever it says is not what we get. The main problem is channel 32; the port talk channel. We haven’t as yet had a LIVE lecture and the recorded stuff we can’t hear. Several of us have complained to no avail. Obviously a technical issue which someone can’t or doesn’t want to address.

Didn't the cruise director come up with a new schedule of activities after the port call was aborted?

When we were on the Pacific Princess in September, we also had a problem with sound on the TV on some channels. After demonstrating the problem to our cabin attendent, she made sure it was attended to. It was fixed that day.

As for news of the world:

o Greece and Italy continue to have finalcial problems.

o Price of oil above $100 again

o Republican front runner in nomination race changes daily

o Stock market fluctuates, mainly downward

Pia..........i don't know if you are interested in music or dancing but i can tell you that you have the greatest duo on the seas on your ship..........we have sailed princess 49 times and would love to spend a couple of nites on board with u to dance with Pete and Trevor , Pete Nilson duo...........they will be in one of the dance lounges, have not done the new Pacific so am not familar with the layout........but in your long voyage if u happen to stop in , please give them a big hug from Barbara and Kelvin............u will get very big smiles, we love them both dearly but don't do the extended cruises and long flights so have not seen them for some time but stay in contact.............have a fantabulous cruise~~

I love the Pete Nilson Duo also, great to dance to.

Tina,

Please e-mail me whatever you have on Skaros Rock; I had not heard of it. I was thinking about a winery tour for Santorini, but hate to pass up a good hike!

Of course I will do a review with all the gory hike details :). Pia inspired John to go ahead and work on our day at Patmos (it is one of his ports to research). He came up with several hikes there that look good. Looks like that will be another 10 or 12 mile day for us!

Today is an exciting one for John and me. Granddaughter #2 is due to be delivered at 7:30 a.m. PST out in California. Clara (19 months) is excited about her "Sissy" coming. Tomorrow is day +310 since Clara's bone marrow transplant and she is doing fantastic. We're not supposed to say "cured" until 5 years post-BMT, but there's no indication that she is anything but a happy, healthy (although still immune suppressed) little girl. Clara's Godmother is in CA now to help out, Brooke's Mom is arriving on Saturday, and we will be going there in December.

What a crazy day. Patter schedule has been revised, with the addition of a port talk on Haifa. Speaker was fine and LIVE. I also spoke to the right person after speaking to lots of wrong persons, and now channel 32 is quite audible.

Instead of arriving into Kusadasi tomorrow, we are now scheduled to dock at 6:00 PM. I know this port well and have no intention of getting off tonight. I have a rendesvous planned at Starbucks in the morning. Me, their free wifi, and a fresh brewed vente. We went to trivia and lost by one. Prize was water bottles.

Six of us decided to have lunch in the dining room which may very well ruin my image. Won’t happen often, so please forgive me. Didn’t eat a whole lot, but changing venues is nice every now and then. Managed to lose a few dollars in the slots. They are very tight and more so than on the Ocean whose slots weren’t exactly loose either. I will try to stay away. Meanwhile, just hanging out waiting for trivia and wine time and then………. another meal.

Carolyn: good to hear about Clara. Send email when new baby arrives including all stats.

Tina,

Please e-mail me whatever you have on Skaros Rock; I had not heard of it. I was thinking about a winery tour for Santorini, but hate to pass up a good hike!

Of course I will do a review with all the gory hike details :). Pia inspired John to go ahead and work on our day at Patmos (it is one of his ports to research). He came up with several hikes there that look good. Looks like that will be another 10 or 12 mile day for us!

Today is an exciting one for John and me. Granddaughter #2 is due to be delivered at 7:30 a.m. PST out in California. Clara (19 months) is excited about her "Sissy" coming. Tomorrow is day +310 since Clara's bone marrow transplant and she is doing fantastic. We're not supposed to say "cured" until 5 years post-BMT, but there's no indication that she is anything but a happy, healthy (although still immune suppressed) little girl. Clara's Godmother is in CA now to help out, Brooke's Mom is arriving on Saturday, and we will be going there in December.

Will send pictures and info on Skaros off to you. So happy about Clara's progress and know how excited ya'll are about the birth of the new baby. I read you on Facebook.

Tina,

Carolyn,

Glad Clara is still doiing well.

Now that I’ve given you the history, I’ll also tell you the stop here has been aborted. Captain came over the speaker a few minutes ago and said winds are at 35 knots and it is dangerous to tender. So off we go to Kusadasi. It doesn’t look bad out there and we are not rocking, but Captain rules.

We also had high winds/waves that almost kept us from making port. Capt Ravera said the cable cars were shut down due to high winds. They have a thingiee that automatically cuts off the power if the winds reach a certain strength. We were joking that it must be an old man who sticks his finger out and says "too high". Also, the waves were washing over the tender dock. Our Capt hung around for about 1 1/2 hours and finally the winds/waves became calm enough that the cable cars started operating and we were able to make a bumpy tender ride to shore.

The Ruby Princess also went without satellite TV stations for a good bit while going around the ports. On our 6 day crossing had no satellite at all. Capt said they didn't have a satellite over that part of the Atlantic. So we were newsless too.

Dear Tina & Ken (coo359a2), Nobody is talking about the donkey ride uphill to the town center. I remember the cost of the ride one way was the same as the cable car. If you want to ride the donkey uphill then don't join any ship tours they tender you to an another pier. Don't visit Santorini in November same as to Venice (the flood). Cary:)

Archived