LIVE from the Pacific Princess - 31 days from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale

Pia1913

Hi Pia - just want to add my get-better-quick wishes. And congrats on being #1!

Carolyn - re Patmos - it's easy to take a public bus up to the monastery of St John, have a walk around Chora village, and walk back down...a good hike. We've done it twice.

Cheers - Dee

Any lunch or meze recommends for Patmos??

We had three days in Israel this past August on Celebrity Silhouette. What an amazing experience! Visited Z'fet (Safed- home of Jewish Kaballah mysticism and the HQ of the Hagannah before the War Of Independence) and had lunch at a wonderful little "pit stop" restaurant at Lake Kinneret ( Sea of Galilee to you non believers :D ). Proprietor was a 7th generation fisherman who gave us a history of the lake and the area, then served the proverbial "St. Peter's Fish". Yummy! Jerusalem, absolutely a stunning and moving experience. Whether you are Jewish or Christian, THIS is the pilgrimage you need to make at least once in your life.

It’s Tuesday; it’s sunny; it’s warmer; it’s Egypt. And, I would like to tell you I’m feeling wonderful. Duh! Things will get better. I’m an optimist. One thing, though. I am very happy we cancelled our Egypt overnight. There is no way I could have tackled it. We received notice last night regarding the reports of “unrest” around Tahrir Square area of Cairo. It also says that tours with venues in and adjacent to said square would be altered. Like everybody is familiar with Tahrir Square. :rolleyes: Obviously shorex desk is not willing to specify exactly, but I imagine that one of the highlights of any Cairo tour, the Egyptian Museum, will be eliminated.

Since we’ve never cruised into this area, I have no idea whether or not there is anything here walkable. We can see stalls set up outside and perhaps we will go peruse them. Mike is itching to look, as always. We also need to collect our passports before going ashore, and will reserve that decision for a few hours.

Meanwhile, for those staying aboard all that’s planned is an afternoon movie “Cowboys vs. Aliens” with Harrison Ford. If we want to miss dinner, “Crazy, Stupid, Love” is being shown in the Cabaret Lounge at 6:00PM. Seems to me someone didn’t plan correctly. The entertainment tonight is an 8:30 movie; “The Guard.”

This sounds like a perfect day to just relax and veg on our balcony. In between trivia of course. BTW, the gym was ours this morning. Totally and completely. Not even one other person.

Aloha: When we cruised the Galilee, it was a lunch cruise and we were served St. Peter's fish. I looked at it, and it looked back at me. Yes folks, the fish is served eyes and all.

It’s Tuesday; it’s sunny; it’s warmer; it’s Egypt. And, I would like to tell you I’m feeling wonderful.

Since we’ve never cruised into this area, I have no idea whether or not there is anything here walkable. We can see stalls set up outside and perhaps we will go peruse them.quote]

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm curious if you found anything interesting in Port Said. We were there, but spent our time in Cairo.

What time do you go to the gym? What's the best piece of equipment there to workout on?

Good evening from Port Said, where we’ve finished dinner (it was open seating so we didn’t have to report at 6:00) and the ship is just beginning to come to life. The tours to Cairo all left around 7 this morning and for them it was a minimum of a 12 hour day. Seven hours on a bus with no pit stops coming or going. Their buses are equipped with restrooms, travel in a convoy and have armed security fore and aft. When we spent two weeks here in 2008, we had the same thing wherever we went. We also had this same intense security while on our 7 day Nile cruise.

We got off the ship for a little while; weather was good and even hot in the sun. The vendors were not pushy and our big purchase was a decorative plate, a baseball cap and postcards. Total expenditure - $9.00. The cap says Sharm El Sheik, Egypt for which we paid $3.00 and was not available when we were in Sharm on the last cruise. Came back, won trivia, had lunch and then a pedi. For me, not Mike. ;) A nice lazy day for someone who is not totally healthy. Even for someone who is healthy.

I do hope the weather holds for our visit to Alexandria tomorrow and I also hope the passengers on tour will be able to see the magnificent library that was built less than 10 years ago. Oh yes, we won afternoon trivia too. With a perfect score! :D

Linnie: We go at about 7:20 and we are treadmill people. There’s a 20 minute limit on equipment, since these tiny ships are so limited. However, like today, we were able to stay longer since nobody was waiting. Treadmill incline has really given me the ability to run up and down stairs and walk up these major hills we encounter all over the world. I have good lower body strength, but I’m a wimp with upper body.

Donna: we saw a live clip from Cairo at 6 PM. Looked awful. So happy to be here and not there.

Aloha: When we cruised the Galilee, it was a lunch cruise and we were served St. Peter's fish. I looked at it, and it looked back at me. Yes folks, the fish is served eyes and all.

Ah, you need to ask for it filleted :) I have found that serving the whole fish can be a very tasty experience. We had a beautiful fish dressed with a little olive oil, herbs, and lemon in Kusadasi at a port side restaurant who's name unfortunately escapes me right now. Granted, you have to try it to get used to the idea but once you do, you'll wonder why you never tried it before.

. . . .Aloha: When we cruised the Galilee, it was a lunch cruise and we were served St. Peter's fish. I looked at it, and it looked back at me.

As long as it didn't wink at you . . .

Enjoying your Live from very much, as always. Hope that wine (and cipro) is doing the job and you feel all better tomorrow.

Good evening from Port Said. The tours to Cairo all left around 7 this morning and for them it was a minimum of a 12 hour day. Seven hours on a bus with no pit stops coming or going. Their buses are equipped with restrooms, travel in a convoy and have armed security fore and aft. When we spent two weeks here in 2008, we had the same thing wherever we went. We also had this same intense security while on our 7 day Nile cruise.

Do you know if those on pricate tours had the same security (convoy, armed security, no pit stops)?

When we were in a private tour in May from Alexandria (and not at a time of riots in Cairo), the Ramses van went by itself to Cairo with no armed presence and we made pit stops both ways.

Hi, Pia! How was your flight on Emeritates? We made it back to California from the Ocean with no problem, except for lingering jet lag. That too will pass. It was nice to see you and Mike again on the Ocean. It sounds like we were very lucky that no demonstrations, etc. were going on during our stops in Egypt.

We are looking forward to following along on your cruise on the Pacific. We have booked b2b cruises on her in late June (Black Sea and Holy Land [including Egypt], so we'd love your input. Sure hope Egypt quiets down by then for us.

Happy sailing!

Linnie: We go at about 7:20 and we are treadmill people. There’s a 20 minute limit on equipment, since these tiny ships are so limited. However, like today, we were able to stay longer since nobody was waiting. Treadmill incline has really given me the ability to run up and down stairs and walk up these major hills we encounter all over the world. I have good lower body strength, but I’m a wimp with upper body.

quote]

I hope they have weights as it is important to me being able to play tennis. Do they have stationary bikes? I hope so.

quote]

I hope they have weights as it is important to me being able to play tennis. Do they have stationary bikes? I hope so.

Yes - free weights and weight machines, and stationary bikes - both styles - regular and recumbent, but not many of each.

Heather: not only have we seen the Sea of Galilee, we also cruised on it.

Amelia: My personal doc said wine and cipro ok. ;)

What an historic experience for you.:)

Things look very scary in Cairo from pictures on the telly today.Did you see those on yours?.....Heather.:eek:

Good Wednesday morning from “almost” Alexandria where the sun is shining brightly and the outside air feels wonderful. We are scheduled to arrive at 10:00 AM and stay in port until 7:00 PM. There was very little offered by way of shorex for this port. Basically, a city drive and two others, both which include the Alexandria library. They differ only inasmuch as one has a fort and roman theater visit and the other, much more strenuous - the catacombs and Pompey’s Pillar. We did the aforementioned 3 years ago; not for those who are claustrophobic. Very dark down in the catacombs with winding tunnels and about 100 spiral steps. And as I’ve mentioned previously, the library is something special and not to be missed. Free wifi too with about 200 computers.

I understand there will be lots of vendors at the port, so of course we will venture out for a “look/see.” On board will be the afternoon movie “Crazy, Stupid, Love” and a 5 PM an Egyptian folkloric show. The movie “Jane Eyre” will be shown at 6:00 and showtime tonight will feature a singer; Christopher Riggins.

I did hear that the museum stop yesterday had been altered, but I don’t as yet know what sort of deviation occurred. Meanwhiile, there’s a whole contingent still in Cairo who are not expected back until tonight. I’ll report when/if I find out what they did.

Answers:

1. Yes, they have been trying to sell the Chef's Table. No idea if they succeeded.

2. Emirates Air is fantastic,

3. Yes, both Fox and BBC have been reporting Cairo LIVE.

Time for breakfast, and I am feeling better. Not perfect, but better.

Cairo Update:

I spoke with several people this morning who had gone to Cairo yesterday. Those on the Princess tours had the Sakkara Step Pyramid substituted for the Egyptian Museum. Those on a private day tour with Ramses, left the ship an hour before Princess buses and did in fact get into the museum prior to the demonstrations in the square. Still sounds a bit scary to have been there, but they are OK.

Bill: The private tour was not part of a convoy.

Pia,

Thank you for all the updates. I'm happy for the people that made it through Cairo safely and knowing that you are beginning to feel better. We are flying out today for our long journey to Rome.

David, thank you for your daily posting of the ports. I love looking at your pictures and maps.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on the 27th.

Pia,

Thank you for all the updates. I'm happy for the people that made it through Cairo safely and knowing that you are beginning to feel better. We are flying out today for our long journey to Rome.

David, thank you for your daily posting of the ports. I love looking at your pictures and maps.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on the 27th.

Safe flight!

I leave my house at 7AM tomorrow. Driving to Orlando (2.5 hours from home), as we were supposed to "play" today at Epcot. We didn't get to go because life got in the way, but at least I still get to go on this cruise!

This will be an adventure before the cruise, as I fly to Roma, find the train station and go to downtown, then change trains and go to Lake Bracciano until the cruise. I am by myself, and have NEVER done trains, and NEVER been to Bracciano, or downtown Rome w/o a guide. I will definitely have a story to tell, because there is a lot more than I should/could put on this board.

Anyway, I can't wait to meet all of y'all!

Kimberly.

Be very careful on the trains and keep aware of who is around you. We were very cleverly pick-pocketed on a Rome train station platform:mad: Also ensure you can tote your luggage on and off the trains, most of which have several steps to get up into the carriages and most stations do not have passenger lifts and you may have to carry luggage up and down steep stairs. Whatever, enjoy your cruise!

Archived