LIVE from the Pacific Princess - 31 days from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale

Pia1913

Dear Tina & Ken (coo359a2), Nobody is talking about the donkey ride uphill to the town center. I remember the cost of the ride one way was the same as the cable car. If you want to ride the donkey uphill then don't join any ship tours they tender you to an another pier. Don't visit Santorini in November same as to Venice (the flood). Cary:)

I always think it is really cruel to ride the Donkeys, it can not be a nice life for them. The cable car is much better.

Dear Tina & Ken (coo359a2), Nobody is talking about the donkey ride uphill to the town center. I remember the cost of the ride one way was the same as the cable car. If you want to ride the donkey uphill then don't join any ship tours they tender you to an another pier. Don't visit Santorini in November same as to Venice (the flood). Cary:)

We're not on this cruise so not riding any donkeys. I never mentioned donkeys in any of my posts.

When we were there in October, we took the cable car up to the top.

I always think it is really cruel to ride the Donkeys, it can not be a nice life for them. The cable car is much better.

We're not on this cruise and never mentioned anything about donkeys in our othr posts.

We took the cable car to the top when we were there in October.

Donkey and cable cars - both moot points since we didn't make Santorini.

It’s Friday November 18th and we’re in Kusadasi where we overnighted. There were some who got off, though I’m not sure where they went. I know some of the stores stayed open until 8:00 due to our unexpected arrival. I am happy to report that we finally have Fox, MSNBC, etc., though I’m not happy to see the market going down. Sometimes it’s better not to know. :(

As I mentioned earlier, my main plan for today is to visit Starbucks and then meander through the shops and markets. Again. For the umpteenth time. This will be our 4th visit in a year and the shopkeepers are starting to recognize us. I am fighting this aforementioned nasty head cold, which seems to have taken over my head and sinuses and I am not a happy camper. The ship is very cold; doesn’t help me since I don’t have cold weather clothes. Tried to buy a sweatshirt yesterday, but the shop didn’t have any. So, here I am LIVE at Starbucks. Ship's internet was down last night and this morning. Free wifi always appreciated.

On the ship’s agenda besides morning and afternoon trivia (we won lanyards yesterday), is an afternoon movie “Thor”. Showtime at night will be a flamenco guitarist, followed by a country and western hoedown. I think we may stay in the cabin and watch The King’s Speech again. Talking about TV, the guide is useless. Whatever it says, isn’t. So, we watch channel 22 and get the info there.

Does this really happen that often? (cancel port due to winds) I just booked the Venice to Rome Greek Isle cruise for next November and Santorini is my dream port. I would be so disappointed. Past November cruisers --- what is your experience with rough seas in the Greek Isles?

Postings like these are why I won't do a cruise to see Santorini specifically.

It's my dream port also but if they can miss it once, they can miss it again anytime. The ocean is unpredictable.

On my very first cruise my much anticipated excursion to Chichen Itza was canceled. I learned not to count on any port/excursion on a cruise.

Postings like these are why I won't do a cruise to see Santorini specifically.

It's my dream port also but if they can miss it once, they can miss it again anytime. The ocean is unpredictable.

On my very first cruise my much anticipated excursion to Chichen Itza was canceled. I learned not to count on any port/excursion on a cruise.

They seem to miss it a lot. Seems like the winds are very unpredictable around Santorini.

Donkey and cable cars - both moot points since we didn't make Santorini.

It’s Friday November 18th and we’re in Kusadasi where we overnighted. There were some who got off, though I’m not sure where they went. I know some of the stores stayed open until 8:00 due to our unexpected arrival. I am happy to report that we finally have Fox, MSNBC, etc., though I’m not happy to see the market going down. Sometimes it’s better not to know. :(

As I mentioned earlier, my main plan for today is to visit Starbucks and then meander through the shops and markets. Again. For the umpteenth time. This will be our 4th visit in a year and the shopkeepers are starting to recognize us. I am fighting this aforementioned nasty head cold, which seems to have taken over my head and sinuses and I am not a happy camper. The ship is very cold; doesn’t help me since I don’t have cold weather clothes. Tried to buy a sweatshirt yesterday, but the shop didn’t have any. So, here I am LIVE at Starbucks. Ship's internet was down last night and this morning. Free wifi always appreciated.

On the ship’s agenda besides morning and afternoon trivia (we won lanyards yesterday), is an afternoon movie “Thor”. Showtime at night will be a flamenco guitarist, followed by a country and western hoedown. I think we may stay in the cabin and watch The King’s Speech again. Talking about TV, the guide is useless. Whatever it says, isn’t. So, we watch channel 22 and get the info there.

Get your cabin steward to bring you extra blanket and snuggle up to watch your movie.There is nothing worse than a head cold and a chilly ship.Do they sell any shawls in the gift shop?

Hint wear a pair of your DH socks under your jeans/pants.Hope it warms up for you.......:)

Kusadasi got warmer in the afternoon. Still windy and too cold for us, but I did manage to buy a zippered, hooded sweatshirt; fleece lined. Nice and warm and toasty. I am happy. We went out again to use Starbuck’s “services” and then wandered for a few minutes to soak up some sun.

What I have noticed is hardly anyone has changed clothes for dinner; our group included. We get dressed in the AM and stay that way. What you see at dinner is almost everyone wearing jeans. Tomorrow will be different; first of the two formal nights. I just wish the ship would change their thermostat a bit.

To all you folks who would book a cruise for a specific port, never ever count on any port; especially those that need tendering. Those ports are always a crap shoot. We took 3 transatlantics before we were able to get into Greenland. Got into Falklands the first try; many others are still trying.

BTW, ship got warmer. Or maybe I did. ;) See you tomorrow. Time to watch a movie.

Does this really happen that often? (cancel port due to winds) I just booked the Venice to Rome Greek Isle cruise for next November and Santorini is my dream port. I would be so disappointed. Past November cruisers --- what is your experience with rough seas in the Greek Isles?

There are a few ports around the world that are notorious for being aborted, usually tender ports. Santorini uses shore side tenders but if the weather is really windy then the port can be missed. Fingers crossed for you, you should be OK

I can tell you on my Royal Princess cruise in April our port call to Easter Island got cancelled due to wind/rough seas. Bummer. We ended up with 11 or 12 nights with no land fall.

We went out again to use Starbuck’s “services” and then wandered for a few minutes to soak up some sun.

What I have noticed is hardly anyone has changed clothes for dinner; our group included. We get dressed in the AM and stay that way. What you see at dinner is almost everyone wearing jeans. Tomorrow will be different; first of the two formal nights. I just wish the ship would change their thermostat a bit.

BTW, ship got warmer. Or maybe I did. ;) See you tomorrow. Time to watch a movie.

Oh Pia, you are so informative! Thank you! I get cold easily and so will have to dress accordingly. Selecting clothing for the cruise is a gruesome task. I didn't realize wearing jeans in the dining room is okay. If so, I need to spread the word to folks traveling with us. They will be so happy including me. I have a nice looking pair of jeans and would like nothing better than to wear some nice looking tops with them. Of course, we have nice slacks too, etc and will be prepared for formal nights. Those of us from Alaska like comfort, be relaxed, casual, and have a great time.;) P.S. Love those Starbuck stops too.

Good Saturday morning on our first sea day. Our M & G is scheduled for 10:15 in the Club Bar and since this roll call has not been active, it will be very interesting to see how many folks actually show up. The day has begun nicely; sun has come up and the temps are expected to be in the 60’s. Hope it continues to get warmer.

If you recall, I mentioned that passengers were staying in jeans throughout day and night. Well, today’s Patter has a front page reminder of the dress code. Subliminal hints? I guess they need to remind some, since tonight is formal night and the Captain’s Gala Cocktail Party.

On today’s morning agenda is a port talk on Port Said and Alexandria, a fruit and veggie demo and a pub lunch. This afternoon a port talk on Haifa is the highlight. Ours is trivia.

Since tomorrow is our first Israeli port, we have received instructions regarding immigration procedures. We need to carry our passports while ashore in Israel, and those will be returned to us tomorrow morning, together with a landing card. At the end of the 2nd day in Israel, we will turn in our passports and landing cards at the Purser’s desk. This same procedure will be carried out when we arrive in Egypt, though I understand we will not have to go through another immigration inspection.

Tonight’s offering is the production show Words and Music and the movie Green Lantern.

For some reason my computer is acting up again, though this time it’s not holding a charge. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

Ken: I will relay your message. Parents aboard, fine and winning trivia.

To all you folks who would book a cruise for a specific port, never ever count on any port; especially those that need tendering. Those ports are always a crap shoot. We took 3 transatlantics before we were able to get into Greenland. Got into Falklands the first try; many others are still trying.

Good advice. We have missed ports due to:

o Rough seas in a tender port (Devil's Island, Hiva Ova, Airlie Beach, others)

o Rough seas that would not allow port pilot to board the ship

o High winds -- too windy to tie up to the dock--ship would have pulled the dock away from its moorings

o Bad weather at a port (stayed hundreds of miles away)

o Fog (could not use a lock at Inchon, just two miles from the dock)

o Iceberg sitting where the ship needed to anchor

o Civil unrest

o Onboard medical emergency which required backtracking for an evacuation

Others have reported missing ports due to:

o Strikes

o Being delayed at a previous port

o Mechanical problems on the ship

Saturday night and ending our day pretty early. Need to be up at 6:00, attend immigration to collect passports and landing cards, have breakfast and be off the ship shortly after 7:30. Most likely you will not hear from me in the morning, but then again, most of you won’t know the difference and will still be sleeping. We have decided to pass on Words and Music and just get our stuff together for tomorrow’s long day in Israel.

Not much of anything for those staying on board, though I think there won’t be many anyway. Only offering during the day is “Pirates of the Caribbean” and the entertainment will be comedian Al Brown at night. Late movie; “Rise of the Planet of the Apes.”

Internet has been spotty today so I hope I can get this posted. TTY after our first Israeli shorex. It's a private one and all day.

Hi Pia - so glad to hear you are on the Pacific Princess now. We will be boarding her after she leaves FLL - Manaus. We will do the Manaus - FLL leg leaving Dec 30th....so with you on board now, she should be in great shape for us. Yippee!!!!

Have a wonderful time - enjoying your posts. Bummer about Santorini - but I bet you have been there before:confused:

Take care

Dolores (your trivia prize friend!!! haha)

Pia,

It looks like we'll get to relive our Alaskan summer at these ports in Italy, Spain, and France on the last half of this cruise. We'll welcome it since it was -16 F at our home this morning and a high of only -6 F. Hope you have a wonderful time in Israel.

Pia, what/how many are the electrical outlets on the Pacific? And where? Hope you can keep posting. Love your commentary.

I'll save some minutes for Pia here as we just got off the Ocean which is a sister ship (and have been on Pacific as well) - there are two 'American' and two round (UK?) plugs on the area above the desk in the balcony rooms. Not sure about location, but number should be the same in other interior/ov cabins. Suites will have more.

There are also some accessible plugs in the Tahitian/Pacific Lounge area - at least some of which are the round kind, as I saw a lady using one.

Archived