S = Class , no clothesline

monkeyinhat

Kite string, heavy fishing line, a piece of regular clothes line. They all do the same thing, dry out clothes. We bring a cord that has clips on both ends and some plastic cloth pins, works great out in the veranda..Put one in your back pack and stop fussing about wet clothes.

Reminder: IF you drape wet clothes over the balcony chairs remember to never leave them unattended. Not that any one should be smoking on a nearby verandah, but on the chance that they might be, don't create a fire hazard out there. Celebrity has wording to the effect not to leave any clothing on the verandah unattended in the dailies once on board.

Reminder: IF you drape wet clothes over the balcony chairs remember to never leave them unattended. Not that any one should be smoking on a nearby verandah, but on the chance that they might be, don't create a fire hazard out there. Celebrity has wording to the effect not to leave any clothing on the verandah unattended in the dailies once on board.

TO CRUISE STITCH,

Ya Know I've never thought about the whole Fire Hazard aspect...

With the whole ship being almost Non Smoking (well at least the Balconies)... I was always under the impression that the idea of not leaving things like clothes, towels & bathingsuits on the Balcony to dry, was the idea that they might blow away... and environmentally having a swim suit in the ocean (that doesn't need to be there) is a bad thing !! Who needs to choke another sea mammal or pollute the ocean more eh?

--- --- ---

Equinox has two very beautiful stacks. Now, if you just bring a long enough clothes line............

Bill

To BILLIE5,

Lol, very very funny... thanks for the chuckle of the day.

Cheers!

TO CRUISE STITCH,

Ya Know I've never thought about the whole Fire Hazard aspect...

With the whole ship being almost Non Smoking (well at least the Balconies)... I was always under the impression that the idea of not leaving things like clothes, towels & bathingsuits on the Balcony to dry, was the idea that they might blow away... and environmentally having a swim suit in the ocean (that doesn't need to be there) is a bad thing !! Who needs to choke another sea mammal or pollute the ocean more eh?

Plus, do we really want our ship to pull into port and up to the dock looking like a trailer park on laundry day with all the clothes drying on chairs, railings and tables :D

Plus, do we really want our ship to pull into port and up to the dock looking like a trailer park on laundry day with all the clothes drying on chairs, railings and tables :D

Really, the locals might think we're a bunch of tourists :p

I thought celebrity's dry cleaning and laundry service very reasonably priced and plan to use it again this trip; it's much cheaper than my dry cleaner at home.

Based on this thread, I did buy the Rick Steve's clothesline to use for drying bathing suits. Nothing worse than putting on a wet suit:rolleyes:

When I was younger and camped out, I recall that we sometimes hung our clothes on a tree branch to dry. What luck, some (perhaps all) of the new Celebrity ships have a live tree suspended in the center of the atrium. Perhaps that is the answer for all those who insist on washing their own clothes and putting them somewhere to dry without having to worry about the wind blowing the clothes into the water or creating a fire hazard, unless someone throws a still burning cigarette into the atrium, of course.

Just trying to help :)

Both good points, Sloop John B -- one would hate to have clothes blow onto someone else's verandah, too!

I had a good chuckle when I read your post. Years ago we were traveling with our three elderly relatives and they decided to dry their decidedly 'grandma panties' out on their balcony. Sure enough, along came a stiff wind and next thing you know they were knocking on the neighbor's door to retrieve their skivvies. Lesson learned:D

Keep the wet clothes inside your cabin. Hanging clothes over the balcony looks awful. There are enough places to place clothes inside the cabin. Be creative. In addition to space in the bathroom, you can also hang clothes in the cabin during the day. I have put clothes on hangers and attached them to the ceiling. Before you sail, wash out the clothes that you plan to bring. If they take more than 8 hours to dry, don't bring them and try to wash them out. After many trips, I have may travel wardrobe set. If it doesn't wash and dry quickly, it stays home. The biggest mistake that new travelers make is bringing too many clothes. You can travel well with a minimum of 3 days worth of clothing. Plan on wearing things twice before washing. Exceptions are for soiled or wearing in very warm places. Those wash each time. Stick to a basic color and accessorize with a scarf. Separates work best for me. Don't worry about wearing the same thing twice. Most people don't pay attention what you wear if it's solid and simple. If you wear a bold print, they will notice it. Never bring an item "just in case". Each time you travel, make a list of the items you bring. When you return, make notes about which items worked well. Also, note those items that didn't work well. Before each trip, read your lists and notes. Before long, you will be traveling with fewer bags. Less luggage is wonderful. Less to carry, less to lift, less stress, etc. I used to marvel at the people who cruised for 2 weeks with just a carry on. You can do it.

I can't believe that a cruise line who had women help design the cabins didn't think of a solution to a water-based problem.

I think that they probably did think of it but decided that they would prefer to not have it available. That way, more people would need to pay for the laundry service :rolleyes:

I can't believe that a cruise line who had women help design the cabins didn't think of a solution to a water-based problem.

I can't help but believe it was intentional because they never went back and added them. Not only that, but they went with this exact same room design on RCI's Oasis Class and even they don't have the clothes lines.

One note about the storage complaint....at least Solstice Class has the long cabinet above the bed. Oasis doesn't so there's even less storage.

Plus, do we really want our ship to pull into port and up to the dock looking like a trailer park on laundry day with all the clothes drying on chairs, railings and tables

Really, the locals might think we're a bunch of tourists

I had a good chuckle when I read your post. Years ago we were traveling with our three elderly relatives and they decided to dry their decidedly 'grandma panties' out on their balcony. Sure enough, along came a stiff wind and next thing you know they were knocking on the neighbor's door to retrieve their skivvies. Lesson learned

TO BOOGS – LIBRARY LADY19 – and PHOENIX DREAM

Thanks for the chuckles… PHOENIX DREAM loved the skivvies story.

--- --- ---

Keep the wet clothes inside your cabin. Hanging clothes over the balcony looks awful. There are enough places to place clothes inside the cabin. Be creative. In addition to space in the bathroom, you can also hang clothes in the cabin during the day. I have put clothes on hangers and attached them to the ceiling. Before you sail, wash out the clothes that you plan to bring. If they take more than 8 hours to dry, don't bring them and try to wash them out. After many trips, I have may travel wardrobe set. If it doesn't wash and dry quickly, it stays home. The biggest mistake that new travelers make is bringing too many clothes. You can travel well with a minimum of 3 days worth of clothing. Plan on wearing things twice before washing. Exceptions are for soiled or wearing in very warm places. Those wash each time. Stick to a basic color and accessorize with a scarf. Separates work best for me. Don't worry about wearing the same thing twice. Most people don't pay attention what you wear if it's solid and simple. If you wear a bold print, they will notice it. Never bring an item "just in case". Each time you travel, make a list of the items you bring. When you return, make notes about which items worked well. Also, note those items that didn't work well. Before each trip, read your lists and notes. Before long, you will be traveling with fewer bags. Less luggage is wonderful. Less to carry, less to lift, less stress, etc. I used to marvel at the people who cruised for 2 weeks with just a carry on. You can do it.

TO RED TRAVEL

Excellent advice… I do have a go-to Packing List that I have developed over years of travel. Still though I think I am just one of those Packers who like to bring a variety of clothing vs just 3 days worth and rotate them around.

QUESTION – You mention being creative… and "clothes on hangers and attached to the ceiling". :confused:

Curious how you do that… are the ceilings metal and you use a magnetic hook?

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Best thing about the cabin is the shower ... But yes it should have a clothes line as is normal. *

Cabins are poorly designed. *Lack of storage. *No room to Move around the cabin. *If someone is sitting at the (ever so tiny) desk the other person can't walk past. *Very uncomfortable sofa, no shelf in the tiny closet.

TV is great. *Too bad it's positioned so you can't watch it while laying in bed.

Space was so limited they hid the life preservers under the bed. *Hard to find them.

When the bed was made up at night all the extra pillows, etc. we're stored on the sofa and took up a third of it.

Also noticed the cabins are several inches narrower in width than most cabins on most ships I've been on.

Don't try to read on your balcony at night ... No light out there.

I'd be interested in learning about the ladies who designed these cabins.

Many of the areas throughout the ship are beautiful but what was the cost to cabin design?

I was honestly surprised that there wasn't a clothesline considering that the S class was designed with feedback from 5 women travelers!
.... apparently all tall women with long arms since they had no complaints about the awkward placement of the storage bins high above the beds.

Short passengers (of either gender) should be issued either a step stool or a pair of Lady Gaga platform shoes with 7 inch heels.

They build gorgeous new ships with less storage space for our clothes' date=' no clothes line, no pitcher of ice water. What else will we miss?[/quote'] Those nice, large bedside nightstands with roomy drawers on the M-class ships, as well as the previously mentioned usable desk space and a sofa where you can sit comfortably.

The S-class cabins seem to have been designed by the same people who designed the current Celebrity website as in both cases appearance was given priority over function or usability. ;)

.... apparently all tall women with long arms since they had no complaints about the awkward placement of the storage bins high above the beds.

Short passengers (of either gender) should be issued either a step stool or a pair of Lady Gaga platform shoes with 7 inch heels.

I am 5'4" and had no issues really with the above bed shelving. I guess those mentioning it are shorter? Granted I didn't put anything i needed to access often up there, but I did use it.

It is indeed an awkward placement.

I concur about the nightstands, not even sure why they bothered putting any LOL. They are TINY.

I thought I was the only person that hung hangers on the ceiling. Couldn't hang anything from the ceiling on the Silhouette or the Allure though. The ridges in the ceiling were smooth and missing that extra section of metal that the hanger could dangle from.

QUESTION - We know that the Walls & Doors are metal (magnetic) is the ceiling as well ?

Thinking I could attach a magnetic hook and then hang a clothes hanger from it.

Convenience... and good for airflow, could be a good way to air dry some items.

Any info much appreciated,

Cheers!

QUESTION - We know that the Walls & Doors are metal (magnetic) is the ceiling as well ?

Thinking I could attach a magnetic hook and then hang a clothes hanger from it.

Convenience... and good for airflow, could be a good way to air dry some items.

Any info much appreciated,

Cheers!

The ceilings are metal but I'm not sure how well a magnetic hook would stick. The hangers are heavy, the clothes would be wet and there is the movement of the ship.

Archived