New tipping policy

davecttr

I for one will certainly be removing this policy from my account. Bad idea and I certainly cant afford to tip that much especially when I do the half world voyages that I normally do.

I think the amount charged is more than reasonable compared to other lines. The staff are hard working and deserve all tips they receive.

Compared to spending a few thousand pounds on a half world cruise, about two hundred pounds is not much to incorporate into the total amount spent on board. 2 ice creams a day or one drink less would easily cover it.

There are many people who would love to do an least one half world voyage, but who genuinely cannot afford it, as it is a bit more expensive than the short trips.

The whole thing is that there are many who have made it clear that they will not participate in this policy (check facebook).

What I can predict happening is that they will remove the auto tips and then leave the ship without handing over anything at all. This new policy makes it easy for them to not tip at all. Some may hand over a small amount in an envelope just out of guilt, but knowing that there is an auto deduction system and that other passengers will not know if they pull out, it will make it easier for many to leave without tipping at all.

$6 a day? Seriously if that's going to cause financial trouble you shouldn't be on a cruise to begin with. The fact is many don't tip and this way crew get something

I believe the proposed P&O UK auto tip is £6 per diem NOT $6. Am I correct?

I just call it the AWS - Automatic Wage Subsidy, for that is what it is, subsidising crew wages.

People who tell others what to do should not be cruising.

Do the maths. My first cruise was 49 nights. I do similar each year. For a cruise that long $294 is allot of cash to give someone who only hands you a plate of food and cleans your cabin. I dont care what the crew get paid, they dont work for me and I have never tipped and am not going to start now.

How embarrassing for you to voice such cheapness, I'm sure you are the first one complaining if service is not up to par. $294 is what percent of the cruise price you paid. Don't be cheap

avalon1025 thats a bit harsh saying someone shouldn,t be cruising because they,re culture isn,t the same as yours .

folks who have cruised on princess and other us lines are used to the auto-tipping scenario.

p&o or (carnival hq) are now imposing it on ships and passengers who,s cultures are different.

folks tip for good or excellent service ,the poster was only giving his opinion and we are all aloud that.

i have seen us pax remove auto tips and bragging they spent $0 on board as princess gave them obc.

so different cultures see things differently and thats all.

happy cruising everyone

It's not harsh, it's the policy of the line. Don't like it pick another cruise line. How many threads are there about kettles on US ships and other differences. They are petty consequences of enjoying a vacation.

How embarrassing for you to voice such cheapness, I'm sure you are the first one complaining if service is not up to par. $294 is what percent of the cruise price you paid. Don't be cheap

I have never complained about anything on a cruise actually. I am very low maintenance.

As I see it the crew are not employed by me and are only doing their job. I have no reason to pay.

No one tips me in my job, so I find it extremely easy not to tip anyone for anything. The P&O terms and conditions make it clear that tipping is voluntary and at discretion of the passenger. I am just following their rules and have decided not to tip.

I believe the proposed P&O UK auto tip is £6 per diem NOT $6. Am I correct?

No, the rate is £3.10 per person per day, which is the same as the current "advised" rate and has been this figure for a number of years.

The breakdown is £1.60 to your restaurant waiters and £1.50 to your cabin steward. Wine and bar waiters receive a commission from their sales and do not expect a further tip.

Brian

It's not harsh, it's the policy of the line. Don't like it pick another cruise line. How many threads are there about kettles on US ships and other differences. They are petty consequences of enjoying a vacation.

the policy is that tips are removable and thats the problem they should either bill it in at the rate as part of the cruise fare or make it non-removable.

never seen a kettle on princess so never look for one, prefer room service and a $2 tip for the steward bringing it .

yes there are some petty things discussed on forums but peoples differences in culture isn,t a major one we just have to explain the reasons why .

been cruising for 13 years 27 cruises under my belt always on princess and p&o so can see both sides of the coin.

brits like me dont like change and being told what to do, being asked is different we seem to comply better.

so lets just agree to disagree and enjoy which ever way we do cruising and get along.

p&o wont remove it once in place and yes the only person loosing out is the staff:mad::mad:

Crikey, this issue will be as gigantic as the tipping topics on Princess board.

P&O on every ship will need to put another 10 staff on their reception/customer service/purser desk to handle the pax wanting to 'adjust their auto tips - automatic wage subsidy.

No, the rate is £3.10 per person per day, which is the same as the current "advised" rate and has been this figure for a number of years.

The breakdown is £1.60 to your restaurant waiters and £1.50 to your cabin steward. Wine and bar waiters receive a commission from their sales and do not expect a further tip.

Brian

Thanks Brian, £3.10 x 2 per day = £6.20 for a couple per diem, I can live with that, way to go if service meets my expectations.

£303.80 for 49 days on Arcadia next year, acceptable.

I have never complained about anything on a cruise actually. I am very low maintenance.

As I see it the crew are not employed by me and are only doing their job. I have no reason to pay.

No one tips me in my job, so I find it extremely easy not to tip anyone for anything. The P&O terms and conditions make it clear that tipping is voluntary and at discretion of the passenger. I am just following their rules and have decided not to tip.

Geez Sutho, the Americans are into thee. I was a copper for 35 years and if I had taken tips I would have ended up in Long Bay Gaol. But the ship's service crew get paid peanuts and their wage is made up from the 'tips pool', but then we know that, don't we? I do anyway.

Each to his/her own, tipping is a personal thing.

Thinks - if they integrated the £3.10 per day into the fare it would mean a 14 night cruise would be £43.40 higher. Adopting this policy is hardly going to impact P&O's cruise sales especially if you have the positive advertising advantage of saying gratuities included, no need to tip.

Then everyone would be happy, passengers would not have to agonise over tipping, any additional tips given would be for the correct 'tipping' reason. The staff would be happy with their extra income, in affect a actual pay rise to a guaranteed acceptable level.

Other cruise lines do this so why not P&O?

If its something to say thankyou for good service then why deduct it automatically. Everyone has a different budget.

My bets are this system being on for 3 months before they pull it.

It took Princess 3 years to realise Australians dont tip. I can only assume that when they base their ships in Australia they have now factored it into the fare.

If its something to say thankyou for good service then why deduct it automatically. Everyone has a different budget.

My bets are this system being on for 3 months before they pull it.

It took Princess 3 years to realise Australians dont tip. I can only assume that when they base their ships in Australia they have now factored it into the fare.

I'll accept your bet because IMO this system will be here to stay, AND I don't believe it will lead to any increase in the numbers not tipping anything. In fact I suspect it will result in an increase in the overall tip pool, which presumably is what P&O, and their crews, are also hoping for, but I accept that it will not change your mind.

There is one answer I would like from you though, myself and a number of other posters have repeatedly pointed out that the tips are in fact the major part of the service crew wages. But you have consistently referred to it as above "something to say thankyou for good service". Presumably this allows your conscience to remain clear as you tell yourself that the service was only satisfactory and not outstanding enough to justify a tip.

I'll accept your bet because IMO this system will be here to stay, AND I don't believe it will lead to any increase in the numbers not tipping anything. In fact I suspect it will result in an increase in the overall tip pool, which presumably is what P&O, and their crews, are also hoping for, but I accept that it will not change your mind.

There is one answer I would like from you though, myself and a number of other posters have repeatedly pointed out that the tips are in fact the major part of the service crew wages. But you have consistently referred to it as above "something to say thankyou for good service". Presumably this allows your conscience to remain clear as you tell yourself that the service was only satisfactory and not outstanding enough to justify a tip.

That is how I understood P&O T&C's to mean that it was a reward for exceptional service.

What I have normally done is allocate a small amount to cabin steward and dining room waiters. As I said I am low maintenance and do not have special requests and do not need to be waited on hand and foot.

Although I dont give as much as the guide suggests, I take its advice and give a small token of appreciation as a thankyou.

Shore excursion people have never gotten a tip at me. No one here in Australia gets a tip off me (I know how well we are paid!). On the few occasions I have been to the US I realised it was their culture and had no choice but to do it there.

Cruising to me is different. It is kind of like staying at a hotel and I have never tipped anyone at a hotel. Normally they have service charges so it has never been required.

There is only one reason for opting out of the auto tip and that is because you intend to tip less or not at all. If that is not so then why not leave the auto tip in place? If you feel you have received outstanding service then you are perfectly entitled to give extra to the person concerned. As pointed out by a previous poster, if you remove the auto tip and then give cash, that member of staff has to hand the money over to go into the pool so is not gaining anything. I really wish the cruise lines would come clean and make this known to the passengers. I really do feel that the best way would be for P & O to add £5 a day to the cost of the cruise and advertise a "No Tipping" policy and this would give them a new USP.

P&O can do what they like, just like we can do what we like. If you do not like what they are doing, go elsewhere. Only problem being there are very few cruises that do not charge a service/ tipping charge and those that have incorporated these charges are more expensive.

I think P&O is good value for money. Not that I drink very much but their drinks are much cheaper and do not charge a service charge on top. :)

There is only one reason for opting out of the auto tip and that is because you intend to tip less or not at all. If that is not so then why not leave the auto tip in place? If you feel you have received outstanding service then you are perfectly entitled to give extra to the person concerned. As pointed out by a previous poster, if you remove the auto tip and then give cash, that member of staff has to hand the money over to go into the pool so is not gaining anything. I really wish the cruise lines would come clean and make this known to the passengers. I really do feel that the best way would be for P & O to add £5 a day to the cost of the cruise and advertise a "No Tipping" policy and this would give them a new USP.

I agree absolutely. They could describe the amount added as a compulsory service charge in lieu of tips.

Be carefull what you wish for, because I would have a bet if this does not work out, they will then include the tips in the price of the cruise.

That would almost certainly mean an increase in prices across the board, far in excess of the £21:70 per person per week they are now going to add to the account for tips.

Will be more in the line of £100 per person per week, with the additional taxes they would have to pay, if it was added to the cost of a cruise.:)

Be carefull what you wish for, because I would have a bet if this does not work out, they will then include the tips in the price of the cruise.

That would almost certainly mean an increase in prices across the board, far in excess of the £21:70 per person per week they are now going to add to the account for tips.

Will be more in the line of £100 per person per week, with the additional taxes they would have to pay, if it was added to the cost of a cruise.:)

What taxes would they have to pay? I know cruises are zero-rated for VAT. What others are you thinking of that would put it up so much?

I simply don't believe that each crew member hands over their envelopes of cash. We tried that where I work, just didn't happen. If you were given £50 in an envelope, would you hand it over. I certainly wouldn't. It's not human nature.

In reply to jeanlyon the Matre D has a list of all passengers and their cabin numbers. Each evening the list is updated and given to him and clearly identifies those cabins & people that have cancelled the automatic tipping and therefore he is aware of which tables in the restaurant have done so.

The waiter is approached at the end of the evening (normally the last one) if he has not handed in the envelope and asked if he received one.

I have reliably been informed that if it is found that an untruth has been told then action is taken against that person.

as this employment means everything to them, I personally have no problem in paying the statutory £3.10p per day and would never wish to put my waiter or cabin steward in such a position.

Sorry but as this hasn't even started yet, how on earth do you know that the Maitre Di has been informed of who has cancelled the auto tipping. And what about if you decide to half the auto tip and tip the rest by yourself. I've never heard such rubbish.

Archived