Exempt from beer package

Firsrt timers on RCI, DH and I are on IOS in Feb in a Grand suite. Although we will have use of the concierge lounge, this is not the reason for booking so will be a happy bonus but not the be all and end all. However, DH wishes to buy the beer package when onboard, but I understand that I have to buy it too if he does this. I am on methotrexate and am therefore not allowed alcohol, so do not want to buy one. I think I can go to guest services and inform them but if so do I have to prove it? I am not happy even about having to tell them and let them make the decision as to whether I can then not be forced to buy a package but wonder what proof they need if any that I am not allowed to drink? Thank you

I don't think I have seen a beer package...did they just start offering that or have I been missing it?

Select ships in Europe have various packages. This started several months ago, but as of yet has not spread to all ships or to itineraries outside of Europe.

Firsrt timers on RCI, DH and I are on IOS in Feb in a Grand suite. Although we will have use of the concierge lounge, this is not the reason for booking so will be a happy bonus but not the be all and end all. However, DH wishes to buy the beer package when onboard, but I understand that I have to buy it too if he does this. I am on methotrexate and am therefore not allowed alcohol, so do not want to buy one. I think I can go to guest services and inform them but if so do I have to prove it? I am not happy even about having to tell them and let them make the decision as to whether I can then not be forced to buy a package but wonder what proof they need if any that I am not allowed to drink? Thank you

I don't think anyone is forced to purchase any type of drink package while on board. I thought when you purchased a beverage package it was per person with the exception of the Wine Package which can can be shared.

I don't think anyone is forced to purchase any type of drink package while on board. I thought when you purchased a beverage package it was per person with the exception of the Wine Package which can can be shared.

My understanding is that to ensure that the unlimited drinks packages are not abused by sharing with other guests in your group, RCCL implimented a rule that all persons of drinking age travelling in a cabin (or possibly a group) must purchase a package and this is non negotiable. Again this is my understanding, this has been confirmed many times and I am not aware of any forum members getting round it for any reason.

The drinks packages (by which i refer to the unlimited alcholic drinks packages - all inclusive effectively) have been available for over 6 months now and are offered only on select ships in Europe.

This http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_ima...tcm16-6407.pdf

is from the RCCL website and it states that there may be certain grounds were a person may become exempt and that you should contact guest relations when you board.

However,as said previously the beer packages seem to limited to certain ships.

Hope this helps

Robert

My understanding is that to ensure that the unlimited drinks packages are not abused by sharing with other guests in your group, RCCL implimented a rule that all persons of drinking age travelling in a cabin (or possibly a group) must purchase a package and this is non negotiable. Again this is my understanding, this has been confirmed many times and I am not aware of any forum members getting round it for any reason.

The drinks packages (by which i refer to the unlimited alcholic drinks packages - all inclusive effectively) have been available for over 6 months now and are offered only on select ships in Europe.

Thanks for the explanation. You can tell I'm a teetotaler. :D

This http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_ima...tcm16-6407.pdf

is from the RCCL website and it states that there may be certain grounds were a person may become exempt and that you should contact guest relations when you board.

However,as said previously the beer packages seem to limited to certain ships.

Hope this helps

Robert

Link doesn't work, see below for correct link to the Grandeur packages:

www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/BevPackGR_tcm16-6407.pdf

A few FAQs:

Q. If Guest A buys the package, can they get a drink for Guest B?

A. No. The package should only be used by a Guest who has purchased it and drinks should not be given to any other Guest. All Guest’s in a stateroom who are eligible

will be required to purchase a package.

Q. What are the exceptions you mention?

A. We accept that a guest who is pregnant or has a medical condition may not be able to use the package, so we would advise you to contact Guest Relations once

onboard to discuss whether they can be exempt from the requirement for all guests in a stateroom to purchase a package. We will also accept that a parent, who may

be happy to sign the alcohol waiver for their 18-20 year old, may not want them to have the package, so they will be granted an exception. The ship’s decision is final.

Link doesn't work, see below for correct link to the Grandeur packages:

www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/_images/BevPackGR_tcm16-6407.pdf

A few FAQs:

Q. If Guest A buys the package, can they get a drink for Guest B?

A. No. The package should only be used by a Guest who has purchased it and drinks should not be given to any other Guest. All Guest’s in a stateroom who are eligible

will be required to purchase a package.

Q. What are the exceptions you mention?

A. We accept that a guest who is pregnant or has a medical condition may not be able to use the package, so we would advise you to contact Guest Relations once

onboard to discuss whether they can be exempt from the requirement for all guests in a stateroom to purchase a package. We will also accept that a parent, who may

be happy to sign the alcohol waiver for their 18-20 year old, may not want them to have the package, so they will be granted an exception. The ship’s decision is final.

Sorry and thank you. :o

How about something written from your Dr on his stationery saying you are not allowed alcolhold due to medical reasons. I would think privacy comes in and the reason you are not allowed shouldn't have to be disclosed.

I bought the beer package on my last cruise on the Legend and there was no requirement for my wife to purchase it as well. She does not really drink so she went for the soda package.

It's interesting that they would not apply the rule to the Legend of the Seas, which is sailing in Asia.

I guess that this shows that it is the British passengers who cause anxiety for Royal Caribbean, when it comes to sharing an unlimited drinks package.

;) :D

funny but I was on methotrexate for a while and I could drink just fine.. just not more than a glass a day.

of course i stretched the definition of 'glass' on occasion....;)

Thank you all for your help and advice. I have checked my PX and it definitely informs me no alcohol :( (which as I have been on it a while is good. I would hate to think I had been teetotal for no good reason!) I wish everyone the happiest of Christmases and a wonderful new year full of happiness, good health and most of all as many cruises as you can manage!

I bought the beer package on my last cruise on the Legend and there was no requirement for my wife to purchase it as well. She does not really drink so she went for the soda package.

I sailed on the Legend in June 2011. I didn't know they had such a package.

Regardless, doesn't apply to my family. We can't drink so much.

And on the off chance that RC insists that you both must get the package, I'd suggest hubby just buy his beers a la carte. While the package can be a bargain for some, he'd have to be planning to drink a whole LOT of beer to make buying 2 packages more economical that buying a la carte, when he's the only one drinking.

funny but I was on methotrexate for a while and I could drink just fine.. just not more than a glass a day.

of course i stretched the definition of 'glass' on occasion....;)

There seems to be no 100% agreement on this issue. They think that it does lead to liver problems but that it's also factored into many other issues such as age and dosage. So it depends on how much you take and I would hope that your doctor tests you for liver problems on a regular basis since this it accepted that it can cause damage. It is not advised to drink while on it but at the same time it won't cause any immediate side effects or make the medication non-effective.

Personally I couldn't see drinking while on it considering what it is typically prescribed for (psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis) which are both affected by alcohol.

Speaking with a bar tender on Independence in October I asked him how it was working with regards the tip side of things and the exemption procedure.

He explained that if someone in the party/cabin needed to be exempt for medical reasons they needed to provide a note from their doctor explaining why.

So long as your medication clearly has your name on it I am sure Guest services can liaise with the ship's doctor that alcohol should not be consumed while on the particular medication.

DH is on weekly Methotrexate by self injection , he still drinks but only on holiday, it is his body:(. His bloods are checked monthly for any irregularities

I would imagine that a note from your physician stating that you are unable to drink alcohol due to a medical issue would be sufficient. RCI has no need to have your specific personal medical issues listed. Dr. says no booze then you are exempt from booze. Period.

Archived