msZuiderdam Front Desk staff was HORRIBLE. Won't be booking HA again

jill_delaware

Oh dear, Joanie, that was not good reasoning.:confused: My other cruise line of choice is RCI, where there are LOTS of younger people - young ladies included - and children. And we have never experienced plumbing problems on those ships.

[quote name='mtnmommy']Wow, so you can avoid plumbing problems on a ship by making sure there are no children or young people on board? I disagree that one demographic has a monopoly on not reading the little sign beside the toilet.

I am a HAL loyalist, and I'm sure that HAL will--eventually--get the toilets fixed. However, reports of this situation and the front office's response would not be comforting to me if I were sailing on the Zuiderdam in the near future. I don't think that sailing with older people is a solution to an ongoing mechanical issue.[/QUOTE]

Unless they happen to be retired plumbers !

[quote name='Roz']These posts are scaring me. I'm booked on the Zuiderdam in May, and was thinking about booking the 11-day Panama Canal that ends right before it goes into drydock. Should I book another cruise for next November?

Roz[/quote]
I would be hesitant to sail on a ship the cruise right before or right after dry dock. Before dry dock you may encounter areas of the ship closed off to passengers and some work already starting. After dry dock you may find that all work hasn't been completed and is still ongoing.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Like so many of our threads, this is all anecdotal and none of us really know just how bad the toilet problem on Zuiderdam. I seriously doubt that is well published information.

I would hate it as much as anyone else for our plumbing to not operate properly but would not cancel a cruise because of this thread.

JMO........ [/B][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Here's the problem with that Sails, this isn't the first thread about the problem. It sure DOES make me think twice about our upcoming cruise on her. One or 2 comments, I figure it is a freak thing, but this is more than that. I will keep an ear to the ground about the Zuiderdam for the next couple of months, but it does concern me a great deal to read of this complaint again as this is the one area I really think would ruin my cruise.
Yes I love HAL but I am not paying top dollar to have to get up and run to a public toilet or to borrow a neighbors facilities for an entire cruise.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This is not what I want to be reading!! Well, our cruise is paid for so we're going. On our last cruise (on the Noordam) our toilet flooded on the very last day just as we were getting ready to leave the ship. The water went everywhere! I am not going to mention any of the Z issues to hubby and just hope for the best. :)

I hope all recent Zuiderdam cruisers , and cruisers over the next few cruises from now will be kind enough to post here or to post reviews regarding their plumbing experiences good and bad .
Hopefully all will be well . I had a toilet problem on Eurodam a few years ago but they fixed it right away.

[quote name='startwin']Oh dear, Joanie, that was not good reasoning.:confused: My other cruise line of choice is RCI, where there are LOTS of younger people - young ladies included - and children. And we have never experienced plumbing problems on those ships.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]
Ann I am not saying that is what happened. I am just saying that it is a possibility because over the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday cruises is when this seems to have first been mentioned. It is just a thought as to one possibility of what could have happened. NOT that it is the cause. And that is the time when there are usually a lot more in the age categories that I waas using as a thought...

Anything could have happened. Remember a year or so ago when I mentioned I was going to bring my own TP?? I got hit big time for that stupid statement. BUT, I'd no idea that there was such a thing as a special TP for ships. Others might be as unaware as I used to be.

I was just trying to figure out what has gone so wrong with her plumbing in less than 90 days:confused:

BTW, on a GOOD note Ann, 1/3 of what I used to do, remember my emails:) I is doing good:)

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='localady'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Here's the problem with that Sails, this isn't the first thread about the problem. It sure DOES make me think twice about our upcoming cruise on her. One or 2 comments, I figure it is a freak thing, but this is more than that. I will keep an ear to the ground about the Zuiderdam for the next couple of months, but it does concern me a great deal to read of this complaint again as this is the one area I really think would ruin my cruise.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Yes I love HAL but I am not paying top dollar to have to get up and run to a public toilet or to borrow a neighbors facilities for an entire cruise. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/quote]

[B]Sher,[/B]
[B]I agree and would hate it just as much as everyone else and having experienced SERIOUS toilet malfunction on one cruise never want to go through that again. It was miserable and the only time I was ever nervous on a cruise ship. I had to find a public toilet in the middle of the night and I was creeped out walking around the ship alone in the middle of the night. I hurried back and never went out alone again. When I again needed a public restroom in the middle of the night later during that cruise, I woke DH to come with me.[/B]

[B]But so far as this thread, I can't see where we have a clue how many toilets are involved. I've been trying to get a 'bead' on how widespread and maybe I'm missing something but I still think it limited to few. Sure, if YOURS is one of the few, doesn't matter how many others. [/B]

[B]Hopefully they are hard at work correctng whatever problem they may have.[/B]

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in 60 days, it will also be our first HAL cruise. We were so looking forward to this cruise as we have been trying to book it for 2 years...but now we are almost scared of going with all the issues:(. We are booked in a SB category...Hope they get the problems fixed before we board.

[quote name='Mar56']Sail, there was a post within the last week saying aprox 60% of the public washrooms were not useable. Thats a problem. They have 39 days to fix it please!!

Mar56[/quote]

[B]If that is true, then YES.....[/B]

[B]That is a problem. [/B]
[B] I'm not sure how anyone would really know that on a big ship like a Vista. I suppose during various times throughout they may have tried to visit all public restrooms but I'm not even sure I know where they all are despite having sailed lots of days on Vistas. :) [/B]
[B]But if that is what was written, I certainly don't pretend to say it isn't true. Of course, I don't know.[/B]

[quote name='Lauren']We had a toilet flushing problem on the Rotterdam last March. Called Front Desk and they had someone there within 20 minutes. Front desk called back to make sure the problem was fixed. [/QUOTE]

In our experiences, this is the way problems have been resolved.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]Joanie, insinuating that teenagers and "young adults" are not smart enough to read is not only insulting but it's flat out rude. I would hate to see your dream cruise because if there aren't any "young" people, I'm sure it's boring.
Apparently, you're an idiot until you reach what 40, 50 or 60? I am in my mid to late twenties and I've NEVER had any issues with plumbing in our home nor have I experienced problems on a ship. :rolleyes:

For the record, those things you are referring to are called tampons. You CAN flush the actual tampon, but not the applicator.

I guess us "young people" aren't all stupid.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] :rolleyes:

[SIZE="5"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/FONT][/SIZE]Hello, Sorry to hear about your problem. I suggest you post this to Holland Americas facebook page. Marketing departments worry a lot more about what people are posting there then on Cruise Critic. I appreciate the information as do I'm sure the others that read these posts, but there's more bang for the buck on facebook.

Thanks,
Michael

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]If that is true, then YES.....[/B]

[B]That is a problem. [/B]
[B]I'm not sure how anyone would really know that on a big ship like a Vista. I suppose during various times throughout they may have tried to visit all public restrooms but I'm not even sure I know where they all are despite having sailed lots of days on Vistas. :) [/B]
[B]But if that is what was written, I certainly don't pretend to say it isn't true. Of course, I don't know.[/B][/quote]

You know Sail I guess when you actually look at a number like 50-60% it doesn't really make sense, does it??? Hmmmm. Maybe it just seemed like that to the poster. Well, obviously there is a plumbing problem on that ship though. Another member of our Feb 6 roll call wrote to head office about it - here is part of her reply:

[COLOR=#ff0000]A public restroom being out of service for the full duration of the cruise is definitely an exception to our high-standard of service. We do attempt to constantly maintain our facilities onboard and repair them as needed.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]If you have any additional questions do not hesitate to contact us. We are available by telephone Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm PDT at 1-800-541-1576[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Thank you and Kind regards,[/COLOR]

Kind of a motherhood reply I guess. Well, we'll see what the next group of passengers have to say. I'm certainly not going to worry overly much about it - would not be pleasant to have an issue in our room as I get up several times a night - but I'll hope for the best.

Mar56

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]But so far as this thread, I can't see where we have a clue how many toilets are involved. I've been trying to get a 'bead' on how widespread and maybe I'm missing something but I still think it limited to few.[/B][/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]Well, it is wide spread enough that at one onboard event, someone ([U]not[/U] a passenger) with whom we were talking brought up the plumbing problems. I hope he was joking when he said it was due to passengers flushing their Depends. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Sea42']I would be hesitant to sail on a ship the cruise right before or right after dry dock. Before dry dock you may encounter areas of the ship closed off to passengers and some work already starting.[/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]We've done two cruises immediately prior to dry dock in the past few years and wouldn't hesitate to do another on HAL. They've done an excellent job of limiting the work to non-passenger areas. HAL's learned from prior mistakes. [/SIZE]

[quote name='IRL_Joanie']

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]My reasoning is this; On the past few cruises where these flushing problems are mentioned, there have been a LOT of younger people (thinking children here) and even young adults, who do not know what can or cannot be placed in a toilet aboard a ship. AND who either cannot or will not read the little sign beside the toilet.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
--------
HUH?
If this was true then Carnival ( and RCCL and NCL ) would have a chronic issue..all of the time.

Plus, EVEN if the toliet was clogged with wayward tampons:D ( which I doubt ) HAL handled the situation badly.

Also, just because someone has a period ( or is younger ) does not make them stupid, or unwillingly to follow the rules of tampon disposal procedure.:rolleyes:

All I know is that due to past radiation therapy, I need my bathroom...and I need it quite often. I would hate to have a non flushing toliet!:eek:

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]For the record, those things you are referring to are called tampons. You CAN flush the actual tampon, but not the applicator.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE][SIZE="3"]Actually, those are something that shouldn't be flushed on a ship. Sorry. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]Well, it is wide spread enough that at one onboard event, someone ([U]not[/U] a passenger) with whom we were talking brought up the plumbing problems. I hope he was joking when he said it was due to passengers flushing their Depends. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]<snip> [/SIZE][/quote]

[B] Groan...... It was a poor joke, at best. But who knows that the 'not a passenger' might be right. :eek:

or, as follows, flushed something else they should not have.

[/B]

[quote name='Mary Ellen'][SIZE=3]Actually, those are something that shouldn't be flushed on a ship. Sorry. [/SIZE][/quote]

[B] Agreed.

At home, you can flush tampons but DO NOT do so on a ship. The sign posted at the toilet makes it very clear the only thing that should be flushed is the toilet paper provided by the ship and that for which one uses the toilet.

[/B]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]There is another thread started late this afternoon "Christmas on the Zuiderdam", that covers similar issues mentioned here on this thread. Having been on these boards for at least a decade, I can not recall repetitive comments on the issue of failed toilets ever being raised with such frequency about one single ship. I will be sailing aboard the Zuiderdam at the end of March, and would expect, as I would traveling on any public conveyance, that the vessel would be in acceptable shape to carry passengers. It would seem that with the repetitive issues reported here, HAL, as the provider of the vessel would take all possible steps to insure the ship is in complete working order, prior to sailing. I'm willing to bet that this hasn't been the case in the last several weeks aboard the Zuiderdam, at least from what passengers are sharing here. I would hope that someone at the corporate level would take notice, not only at the hardware issue, but also the issue of good customer service.;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]Joanie, insinuating that teenagers and "young adults" are not smart enough to read is not only insulting but it's flat out rude. I would hate to see your dream cruise because if there aren't any "young" people, I'm sure it's boring.
Apparently, you're an idiot until you reach what 40, 50 or 60? I am in my mid to late twenties and I've NEVER had any issues with plumbing in our home nor have I experienced problems on a ship. :rolleyes:

For the record, those things you are referring to are called tampons. [COLOR=Black][U]You CAN flush the actual tampon[/U][/COLOR], but not the applicator.

I guess us "young people" aren't all stupid.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] :rolleyes:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]I was not insinuating young people are stupid!! I was that age once, and not that long ago either:)

But as I have highlighted in your response, YOU CANNOT flush those on a ship!!! That is why I used younger aged females to point out that those are more than likely to be the ones flushing one down the Ships' toilet and causing a major problem throughout the ship:(

I am sorry you see my post as rude, that is not my intent. My intent is only to point out that until The Thanksgiving cruise period through this last one (this past cruise), there were no wide spread reported toilet issues on Zuiderdam. And the holiday time period does see more of the younger crowds on all cruise ships.

I love cruising with younger people of all ages and enjoy their company. So assuming that my dream cruise has none aboard is incorrect.

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]Joanie, insinuating that teenagers and "young adults" are not smart enough to read is not only insulting but it's flat out rude. I would hate to see your dream cruise because if there aren't any "young" people, I'm sure it's boring.

For the record, those things you are referring to are called tampons. You CAN flush the actual tampon, but not the applicator.

I guess us "young people" aren't all stupid.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I, too, am in my 20's and have been sailing on HAL my whole life!

However, I completely disagree with you. You are absolutely NOT supposed to flush tampons down the toilet -- especially on a cruise ship.

Marine toilets are very persnickity. Best not to put anything in them that you have not eaten first. Special one ply toilet paper is also required to prevent clogging. Tampons would be an absolute no-no.

When we were in our sailboat days the first thing new guests aboard were taught was the proper use of the head.

[quote name='sapper1']Marine toilets are very persnickity. Best not to put anything in them that you have not eaten first. Special one ply toilet paper is also required to prevent clogging. Tampons would be an absolute no-no.

When we were in our sailboat days the first thing new guests aboard were taught was the proper use of the head.[/quote]

Sapper - I think there's more here than just putting the wrong things down the toilet :eek: That's two different threads today:eek: I hope they get it straightened out before your Panama cruise:)

[quote name='kazu']Sapper - I think there's more here than just putting the wrong things down the toilet :eek: That's two different threads today:eek: I hope they get it straightened out before your Panama cruise:)[/quote]
There were no toilet issues that I was aware of on the Zuiderdam in August. It sounds as though everything is going to hell in a handbasket if you read all these threads. I think I will just assume the best and not worry about it.:) There are too many real things to worry about these days.

Archived