msZuiderdam Front Desk staff was HORRIBLE. Won't be booking HA again

jill_delaware

I hope that is the case. I had dining companians on a cruise that were not happy with a shore ex. They bragged that they reduced the service charge to get their money back. I just about jumped over the table at that point. I explained that the crew had nothing to do with their issue and they need to take it up with HAL directly. They just didn't get it and didn't care. They also reminded people at our table that they could reduce their service charge by going to the front desk. Wow! These folks had taken many cruises and usually in a suite so I would have expected more of them. Hopefully most people can understand that this is just wrong.

Agreed...this is absolutely wrong, and I can understand your desire to jump over the table and confront your dining companions. This is when youtube makes perfectly good sense.

Most passengers are civilized folks, but the mean-spirited of society do not automatically change their personalities by embarking on a cruise.

Folks that will brag about their 'cheapness' obviously do not have much pride in themselves. It is best to avoid contact with these types of people.

And it's probably a wise decision to not jump over any tables.

@Startwin:

I am on the same cruise as you in April and am also having second thoughts based on the reports of all the public bathrooms being closed. We have until 2/4 to cancel and I'm going to seriously consider it. If I do, I'm going to make sure to let HAL know of all the negative comments about the ship on this bulletin board.

Thanks for the "heads up" everybody.

I hope that is the case. I had dining companians on a cruise that were not happy with a shore ex. They bragged that they reduced the service charge to get their money back. I just about jumped over the table at that point. I explained that the crew had nothing to do with their issue and they need to take it up with HAL directly. They just didn't get it and didn't care. They also reminded people at our table that they could reduce their service charge by going to the front desk. Wow! These folks had taken many cruises and usually in a suite so I would have expected more of them. Hopefully most people can understand that this is just wrong.

I understand your desire to throttle the offenders but geez don't jump over the table. You'll throw your back out girl.:p

Seriously I would think that people who take that approach were just looking for any excuse to cancel the hotel service charge. If it had not been shorex it would have been something else.

The one time I was not happy with a shorex I complained to the shorex desk. They looked after us and you too, if I remember. (My goodness that was an unbelievable excursion!!) It wasn't a complaint as such---just a heads up that maybe HAL should reconsider offering the shorex as it certainly was not up to their standards. We got a 50% refund but had not asked for anything. Point being, neither you nor me ever thought of taking it out on the crew. How dumb is that!!

@Startwin:

I am on the same cruise as you in April and am also having second thoughts based on the reports of all the public bathrooms being closed. We have until 2/4 to cancel and I'm going to seriously consider it. If I do, I'm going to make sure to let HAL know of all the negative comments about the ship on this bulletin board.

It sure wasn't all the public restrooms. On our recent cruise on the MS Zuiderdam there was a mens room that was down forward of the Ocean Bar that seemed to be closed most of the time. A couple of urinals in other rest rooms had "Out Of Order" but still had others that were functional.

You surely have the right to cancel but I would also consider the thousands of pax's who had a great cruise with no major problems versus some very isolated cases.

IMO if your so convinced that your cruise will be a disaster prior to sailing it may be in your best interest to cancel like several others have stated on this tread. Versus boarding with an attitude of doom.

@Startwin:

We're still planning on going ahead with this cruise, and hoping the problems are fixed before then. I'm sure if HAL is being bombarded with complaints about it they will be taking steps to make the repairs. I'm just perturbed about the standard response from Seattle that they are "not aware of any problems". Well, now they are, so no excuses.

I am so sorry I didn't read these posts before my final payment was paid. I sail in March. I was on this Ship in 2005 and the only negative I could speak of was a sewer smell in some areas of the Ship. Sounds like HAL has really deteriorated since I was last on them.

My room is in the area of the rooms that the OP said had the bathroom problems. Why aren't they drydocking this Ship and fixing the problems?????? How can they expect people not to have working bathrooms in their rooms!!!

This Ship sounds HORRIBLE!!! Never had problems like that on Carnival (or Royal) and we NEVER had Guest Services not be friendly, accomodating, etc. nor any other crew member for that matter!!!

My room is in the area of the rooms that the OP said had the bathroom problems. Why aren't they drydocking this Ship and fixing the problems?????? How can they expect people not to have working bathrooms in their rooms!!!
There is no way to predict problems by area. We had a normal functioning commode. The cabin next door did not. Theirs did flush, but on it's own schedule. Maybe 5 minutes from when they pushed the button, maybe 45 minutes. Sometimes it flushed as expected. While not optimal, nor desirable, this could be tolerable in one's own cabin. However, this isn't feasible in a public restroom.

All I can say is HAL better address this fast before there's a mutiny . I would hate to be working the front desk or be the hotel manager on this ship if this toilet problem goes on and on into future cruises for months to come .

Our head would flush after we used it...sometimes immediately and sometimes ten minutes later. We thought it was kind of fun to see when it would happen. It might take up to 20 minutes, but it always flushed.

As my mom says when things like this happen "did you have to pay extra for that ". Good attitude, eh ?

I just wonder if they shut down some of the public toilets due to issues with flushing the wrong things?

Bingo!

More often than not, a non-functioning toilet is due to someone along that line tossing objects in there that do not belong - which then clogs the vacuum line.

On HAL, it's typically an Adult Diaper.

Bingo!

More often than not, a non-functioning toilet is due to someone along that line tossing objects in there that do not belong - which then clogs the vacuum line.

(speechless...:D)

Bingo!

Sorry - while this may be the case some of the time when I called the service desk about our non-working toilet in our cabin on the second day I was told there was a problem with the vacuum system and they were waiting for a part. I'm not sure if the young lady got in trouble for providing that info but I appreciated the truth.

I can't for the life of me understand why any time something negative is reported about a HAL ship it is everyones fault but the line. I guess "old folks" went around and broke the non-functioning doors, damaged furniture that was broken when we boarded and finally gave way two days after being reported to an officer at the desk, damaged the furniture on the balcony which could not be used, etc. I'm sure someone will find them or young people responsible since HAL is perfect and can do NO wrong. We have cruised with HAL the past four years but this one made us stop and think about our next one.

Sorry - while this may be the case some of the time when I called the service desk about our non-working toilet in our cabin on the second day I was told there was a problem with the vacuum system and they were waiting for a part. I'm not sure if the young lady got in trouble for providing that info but I appreciated the truth.

I can't for the life of me understand why any time something negative is reported about a HAL ship it is everyones fault but the line. I guess "old folks" went around and broke the non-functioning doors, damaged furniture that was broken when we boarded and finally gave way two days after being reported to an officer at the desk, damaged the furniture on the balcony which could not be used, etc. I'm sure someone will find them or young people responsible since HAL is perfect and can do NO wrong. We have cruised with HAL the past four years but this one made us stop and think about our next one.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I think it's more the frustration with people who have such unrealistic expectations of service... who then find the need to punish whomever the service provider is with bully tactics.

This situation, like the poor guy who got locked out on his balcony in a post last week, were childish responses to a unique situation - placed in an area of consumers where HAL has no ability to respond.

I just wonder why we all beg these people to reconsider and give HAL another shot... we should just politely wish them well with their next cruise line and hope their cabin gets replaced with someone who has respect for people and realistic expectations of good service.

Very few people, in my experience, who threaten to leave rarely do... unfortunately....

I have read this thread in disbelief. The OP is using this thread as a vendetta against Hal. True, he apparently had a malfunctioning toilet, but his bitch is with Customer Service.

Apparently, because of his demanding or abusive ways, Customer Service did not kiss his posterior and he is upset. To the point that he would not listen to their suggestions and even attempted to belittle them. Anyone that has cruised knows that ship's toilets operation on a vacuum system and immediate repetitious flushing will prevent them from working. Even our conventional home gravity systems may not work properly if flushed too soon not allowing the proper water levels to build up.

We all know that from time to time, a toilet or an entire section of toilets may not function on a ship. Normally, maintenance will have the problem resolved in a matter of minutes. However, there are those times when the problem cannot be resolved for an indefinite period, most likely because they do not have the necessary parts on board (Please do not suggest they carry an entire second plumbing system). Unfortunately, those parts may not be available at the various ports of call, thus the ship is forced to wait until they get to their home port for repairs. This is probably the reason the OP was given an OBC.

Overall, I think we all can agree that all the cruise lines act immediately when something is not functioning correctly. To the disappointment of many, some problems cannot be resolved immediately, however life goes on.

For those of you that have concerns about your up-coming cruises, relax, Hal does not thrive on malfunctioning toilets.

Betty

I am so NOT WORRIED about the flushing and/or other problems that we have 2 more weeks on our beautiful Zuiderdam again in May 2013!! And Betty, we just got off of her, 2 weeks in SC 7142 (one of the staterooms mentioned as having a problem) September 24, 2011, and had absolutely no problems what so ever with it:)

Love the Zuiderdam and cannot wait to re-board her!!

I think I said basically the same as you, in an earlier post. Hopefully the passengers who are now concerned or .... will read your post and rethink their fears:)

Joanie

Do you think that the inoperatinal toilets were included in the USPH Inspection? :confused:

I think inoperable toilets (in part) kept the QE2 in Manhattan and delayed a world cruise one year.

There is a thread that asks if the economy is affecting cruise sales. I think this is evidence it is certainly affecting the cruise experience.

I have always said that the front office staff was the chink in HAL's armor. We have heard so much about plumbing issues that it looks now like they have two, and one exacerbates the other.

HAL never got around to dealing properly with the front office issue. About the plumbing repair - we shall see.

Smooth sailing...

Bingo!

:eek: Oh my!!! :D

We own a 13 room bed and breakfast inn...in a home built in 1850...and every now and then, we have a toilet back up. Sometimes DH can handle it; sometimes we have to make an emergency call to our plumber. In 18 years, the cause has always been guests throwing things in the toilet other than toilet paper.

I'd guess that's the problem on ships when it happens.

We were on ther Veendam in Oct. One night our toilet did not flush. As most veteran cruisers know, this is a problem when people are showering and getting ready for dinner and there is a big demand being made on the sanitary system. I just closed the lid and went down to dinner. Most times the toilet will flush a little while later. When we returned from dinner, it still was not working so I called the front desk. They assured me it would be taken care of. About 1 hour later the phone rang, it was the front desk checking to see if problem was solved. It wasn't . About 20 minutes later, there was a knock on the door, a maintenance man arrived to fix the toilet. After about 20 minutes of work he finally had it fixed. All of this was after 10 pm so I think they did pretty good.

Never in my mind did I think of asking for some kind of "compensation" for my inconvenience. After all-"ship happens!"

The progress of this thread is amusing. The OP describes her nonworking toilet issue and ineffectiveness of the front desk staff. She gets sympathy from posters and similar stories from recent Zuiderdam cruisers George C, Mary Ellen, BSinPNS, SBAnt, Big Dawg CC, Mary Ellen1, Bookfinder, RuthC, and Justjanet. Then whammy! The OP has a vendetta against HAL and has demanding or abusive ways:

I have read this thread in disbelief. The OP is using this thread as a vendetta against Hal. True, he apparently had a malfunctioning toilet, but his bitch is with Customer Service.

Apparently, because of his demanding or abusive ways, Customer Service did not kiss his posterior and he is upset...

Our head would flush after we used it...sometimes immediately and sometimes ten minutes later. We thought it was kind of fun to see when it would happen. It might take up to 20 minutes, but it always flushed.

As my mom says when things like this happen "did you have to pay extra for that ". Good attitude, eh ?

That was pretty much our experience on the Zuiderdam in October.

Also, there was occasionally? sometimes? often? an unpleasant smell of sewage in lower decks amidships.

As far as the front desk staff, they were always helpful for us.

I just wonder why we all beg these people to reconsider and give HAL another shot... we should just politely wish them well with their next cruise line and hope their cabin gets replaced with someone who has respect for people and realistic expectations of good service.

Another thing I wonder is. Why does HAL give these people oboard credit and invite them back? I don't mean a passenger who has had no a/c or a working toilet.

I'm talking about the passenger that demands obc when he's learned his fare has dropped after he's made final payment. He's then coaxed by these boards to call and get something, week old stale chocolate covered strawberries,a soda card,a picture with the captain just get something!

Then he brings his own wine,soda,and water with him. He's complained about everything under the sun all cruise,and HAL ends up giving him a Pinnacle dinner, a bottle of wine and some credit for a future cruise.

Why oh why would you want this person back on your ship? This is really baffling. Why not cut your losses and roll the dice that you could get a passenger who's less maintenance.

For this type of passenger it's a cheap way to cruise. I've even read about a passenger who spent 14 days on a ship,complained constantly got a future credit,and then booked their next cruise on the exact same ship (when there's a whole fleet of ships to choose from.) yea you guessed it ,they had a cavalcade of problems on the next cruise as well DUH.

There is no way to predict problems by area. We had a normal functioning commode. The cabin next door did not. Theirs did flush, but on it's own schedule. Maybe 5 minutes from when they pushed the button, maybe 45 minutes. Sometimes it flushed as expected. While not optimal, nor desirable, this could be tolerable in one's own cabin. However, this isn't feasible in a public restroom.

This is not tolerable in one own's Stateroom (at least not mine)! I do not use public toilets (on the Ships)....EVER! When one pays $5000 give or take just for the room itself a working toilet is not too much to expect!!!!!!!!! It shouldn't even be a concern that we may not have a toilet that works! (Wow...and they call Carnival "Walmart of the Seas"!) What is HAL...."Dollar General of the Seas" but at Nordstrom's prices!!!

The progress of this thread is amusing. The OP describes her nonworking toilet issue and ineffectiveness of the front desk staff. She gets sympathy from posters and similar stories from recent Zuiderdam cruisers George C, Mary Ellen, BSinPNS, SBAnt, Big Dawg CC, Mary Ellen1, Bookfinder, RuthC, and Justjanet. Then whammy! The OP has a vendetta against HAL and has demanding or abusive ways:[/quote

I thought the same, that was quite an offensive post. Blindly rushing to cheer for HAL and slamming anyone who makes negative comments about their cruise is just irrational. There is evidently a problem, as reported by all of the above. Now, assuming that each of these people reported the problem to HAL, repairs should have been made in between cruises. When their front office and the reps in Seattle just keep saying they are not aware of the problems, it is inexcusable and foolish. At the very least, not good business practice.

At someone's suggestion earlier, I did post about this on HAL's facebook page, 2 days ago. Interesting to note that "Holland America" - usually a very active poster who responds to many threads - has been silent on this and with another facebook posting dealing with the same issue. Both have been totally ignored. Usually with a critical post "Holland America" responds with advise or comment, and often provide an email address to send a complaint to. One can only hope that the complaints are being heeded.

My cruise is 4 months away. Lots and lots of time to make plumbing repairs.

The progress of this thread is amusing. The OP describes her nonworking toilet issue and ineffectiveness of the front desk staff. She gets sympathy from posters and similar stories from recent Zuiderdam cruisers George C, Mary Ellen, BSinPNS, SBAnt, Big Dawg CC, Mary Ellen1, Bookfinder, RuthC, and Justjanet. Then whammy! The OP has a vendetta against HAL and has demanding or abusive ways:[/quote

I thought the same, that was quite an offensive post. Blindly rushing to cheer for HAL and slamming anyone who makes negative comments about their cruise is just irrational. There is evidently a problem, as reported by all of the above. Now, assuming that each of these people reported the problem to HAL, repairs should have been made in between cruises. When their front office and the reps in Seattle just keep saying they are not aware of the problems, it is inexcusable and foolish. At the very least, not good business practice.

At someone's suggestion earlier, I did post about this on HAL's facebook page, 2 days ago. Interesting to note that "Holland America" - usually a very active poster who responds to many threads - has been silent on this and with another facebook posting dealing with the same issue. Both have been totally ignored. Usually with a critical post "Holland America" responds with advise or comment, and often provide an email address to send a complaint to. One can only hope that the complaints are being heeded.

My cruise is 4 months away. Lots and lots of time to make plumbing repairs.

I would have thought that HAL would have taken the opportunity (and it is an opportunity) to post on the Facebook page right away. Whether it be to say it's fixed, or whatever. Non response doesn't look good IMO

Archived