Costa Concordia - I survived

mickey_d_mouse

I have watched everything and read everything about this awful accident as we were booked to go on Concordia in April, however when I read you had your daughter with you I got really upset, the reality set in, the fear you feel when your children are in danger is overwhelming, Thank God you are all safe and fingers crossed for all the others not accounted for.

First, thank God your family made it off safely. Prayers out to those still waiting to hear the fate of their missing family members. Second - have safe travels home. Remember - all you left behind in your cabin can be replaced - it just takes time and money. Give your family lots of hugs and kisses for all of us!

Michelle, like everyone else, I just want to say thanks for letting us know you are okay. I truly hope you & your family get home soon. I can't begin to imagine how frightened you were. Safe travels and please....let us kmow when you are safely back home.

Michelle, I hope you make it back home without any stress

Another Australian's story

Mr Elcombe, formerly of the UK, but who now lives in Australia, said he and his wife got into a lifeboat after the ship began to list, but were ordered out by staff who said it was "only a generator problem" that could be fixed.

"But as we got back inside the ship it tilted so steeply that I had to grab hold of people to save them as they flew down the corridor," he told British newspaper The Mail on Sunday.

"It was real Titanic stuff.

"We lost everything: passports, luggage, money. But at least we're alive, unlike some people."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/it-was-like-titanic-there-were-fisticuffs-australian-survivor-of-costa-concordia-speaks/story-e6frfku0-1226244909542#ixzz1jWpk7dBX

Michelle,

I find it amazing that you have the presence of mind and the courage to post on CC at a time when I'm not sure I'd even be able to function well much less report on this event. Thank you so much. Like others here have posted, at times like this, material losses are meaningless. The fact that your family is alive is everything.

God speed, safe travels home and warmest wishes from Chicago. Our thoughts are with you.

Michelle:

I'm so glad to hear that you and your daughter are ok. Hope that you can go home soon.

I'm not defending Costa here--the description of the events onboard between the accident and the evacuation sound incredibly incompetent. However, I'm bringing up the point what as far as emergency support and organization once you hit shore, I doubt that most cruise lines could do much better, and many of the locations we visit/pass on cruises are far less able to quickly mobilize the resources necessary to accommodate that many refugees from such a large ship than this island only an hour away from mainland Italy. Compare that to how a small Alaskan fishing village along the inland passageway, or a small Caribbean island, or some hole-in-the-wall Mexican coastal village could support a similar accident.

In other words, based on Michelle's story, getting ashore is only half the battle, you need to plan to be resourceful once you reach shore until you make it home--regardless of the cruise line.

It's sobering...

Sr. 12345:

I agree with you. I consider myself a frequent cruiser, we are D+ in RCCL but we also cruise with Disney, Celebrity and NCL. I'm not defending Costa either, but do you remember the problems that RCCL had when one of their cruises left San Juan earlier because a hurricaine was approaching the island? They had to take care of a couple of families and they were not happy with them. Can you imagine taking care of over 4000 passangers and crew members after a tragedy of this kind?

I can't. But my message is, that we can all learn a lot from this kind of tragedy. We all need to have an emergency plan. Where are we going to meet? At our cabin or at our muster station? We need to have "virtual copies" of our passports, but we also need to have our credit card numbers in case you need to buy a plane ticket. Have a small backpack with a flashlight and first aid kit ready at your cabin closet.

Looks like passangers had time to go to their cabins. If you do have the time, go to your room and change to warmer clothes and comfortable shoes. And get your lifejacket!!! They tell you at the muster drills that they will have lifejackts at your station, but it looks like that this is not what happened at the Concordia.

I hope that we all learn something from this tragedy. I know I did, and we will cruise in a different way this summer...

To Michelle, again, I'm so happy to hear that you and your daughter are safe. I hope that your embassy helps you soon. My prayers are with you and all who have been affected by this tragedy.

We just want to go home and the travel insurance people are being difficult, emirates say they cant get us on a flight any earlier I JUST WANT TO GO HOME

So very happy to hear you and your daughter are safe! I feel your frustration especially when you just want to go home! There really is no place like home where you will be surrounded by your loved ones!

Sending you and your daughter a great big hug!

Terri

Thank you for taking the time to share this horrific experience with us. I just can't imagine how awful the past couple of days have been for you and your daughter. You are so brave, Michelle, and my best wishes for a safe, speedy return home.

Michelle- thank you for sharing your story. The trauma of this event for you and your daughter must be immense..I am so glad you made it off alive. I wish I could help you right now. If there is any way I can, PM me. I am in Buenos Aires but if you need to "talk" to someone I have been a mental health counselor and worked with PTSD victims.

Peace, Debi

Michelle, thank you for sharing this horrific experience here with us. Glad you are safe and wish you the very best.

I have just also read a story in the media here in Australia, about 2 lucky survivors, and thought others here may wish to read this article (See below):-

Aussie couple helped panicked passengers as 'gutless' crew fled.

Lucy Carne in Rome

January 16, 201212:00AM

SURVIVORS of a killer luxury cruiser crash have compared the disaster to the Titanic, with two Australians revealing their extraordinary tale of survival.

Read full article @

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/two-aussies-missing-from-italian-ship-call-home/story-fn7x8me2-1226244915419

So very happy to hear that both of you are safe and together. Thanks for providing this information to all of us. I truly hope cruise lines learn from this horrific event and make the necessary safety improvements specific to evacuation procedures.

We are hoping you'll be home soon

Archived