Tips For Wearing High Heels

Teacher_91

This may be a stupid question, but that's never stopped me before... :D

I love high heels. I think they make you look 'longer & sleeker' (important when you are only 5'3) and since my husband is 6'4, I can wear as high of heels as I want. The problem is I tend to 'wobble' and 'fall off my shoes' at times. :o For those that wear the 3 & 4 inch heels, do you have a 'trick' & can you share? :)

Thanks!

At 5'0" I also love heels! :D

Practice makes perfect! Practice wearing your shoes around the house if you aren't comfortable in them yet. If you notice that your foot slides down in them, add a pad to the base of the heel which will help keep your foot in the proper position.

I always buy heels with a platform in them. The platform gives you extra height without as much of an incline. With a 1" platform, a 4" heel is really just a 3" heel.

Also, I feel more secure in heels or pumps that secure my foot entirely.

For example, I find shoes like these...

brian-atwood-maniac-platform-pumps-in-beige-profile.pngMUSIC.jpg

More secure than shoes like this...

3_Inch_High_Heel_Rhinestone_Prom_Evening_Sandals_Gold_Synthetic_193__73825_zoom.jpg

Because in shoes that don't secure your heel, your heel is more likely to fall off of the sides (which can actually be quite painful).

I think the trick is that walking in heels is just like walking normally. Many women try to walk differently in heels, which is what makes it difficult. Just remember, when walking on a flat surface, heel first, then toe.

Now, when walking up or down stairs, I put all of my weight on my toes. I find it quicker and daintier.

I'm only 4'10 and embrace my height.:p Usually wear flats.

I'm just the opposite of LittleMiss. When I wear heels I walk easier in mules than with something around my ankle or heel.

Go to a show store, try on shoes and walk. Take your time. I've been known to wear the same shoes for an hour before I've decided on them. Walking on carpet is very different than walking on hard surfaces.

Try a wider heel, stilettos are very hard to walk on.

I love a bit of a "platform"....it makes the heels look MUCH higher than they actually FEEL on your foot.

If you are "wobbly", you simply need practice! And yes....strengthen your ankles! I've never had a problem walking/dancing, etc... in heels! And, when you "practice", don't walk slowly...walk at your normal pace! I'm like the previous poster....I'll wear the shoes I'm "trying on" all around the store.....walking fast, a bit of a jog at time, dance a bit (if that's what I'll be using the shoes for!)...really make SURE they feel good under all circumstances! Don't wear "footies" when trying them on, if you plan to go bare-legged!

I can't wear heels at all :( They hurt the ball of my foot so much, depending on the shoe sometimes I can't even go past 5 minutes, others maybe an hour or two if I'm really lucky. I've never been able to comfortably wear heels, or should I say never been able to wear them without extreme pain within a couple of hours.

I have some foot problems but I still like to wear heels--not the 4-6 inch variety though.

Wedge-type shoes work best for me, comfort wise. Platforms are better than stilletos to.

I often have to add some kind of cushioning in the ball of the foot no matter what. It takes some major looking to find heels that are comfortable and yet not dorky looking.

You have to find the right shoe for you. I can walk in a 5" heel without wobbling if the heel is in the right place on my foot, and the arch of the shoe is also "right" for my foot.

I can't walk in a 2" kitten heel without falling over, but I can walk in a 4" backless. It's all in how the heel is placed and how the arch suits your foot.

Keep shopping (and walking around the store). If you can't walk without a wobble in the store, you probably will never be able to do so, because it's just not the right shoe for your foot.

By the way, I've decided no more heels on ships after my last cruise. We hit really, really rough water and I was being tossed around like a drunken sailor in the hallways. I ended up taking my 4 1/2" heels off and walking barefoot rather than breaking an ankle. From now on I'll save them for dry land and pack my dressy 1" wedges.

The way to perfect walking in heels is to live in them. Wear them everywhere, all the time and you'll get the hang of it. Everyone has different body mechanics so it's a what works for me might not work for you kind of thing.

BTW, I agree with the last poster... stillettos on a cruise ship are not smart. Motion plus moisture on floors plus lots of steps are a recipe for disaster. I stick to wedges or chunky heels.

My 15 year old granddaughter loves wearing pretty high heels to weddings and on cruises. I'm always amazed at how easily she seems to walk in them. I really think it has something to do with your balance. She has been dancing since she was 5 and I think thats really helped her.

I find that wedges and chunkier heels are easier to walk in, although I do love the look of stilettos. I think that like with many things, the more you wear them, the easier they are to walk in. I wear at least 3 and 1/2" heels four to five days a week for work, and over time, practice makes (mostly) perfect. The advice to add those little grips and/or pads is good, as well. That can help keep your foot from slipping around.

I also completely agree that stilettos on a cruise ship can be a recipe for disaster. Our last cruise I took my favorite pair of 5" stilettos to wear with a fancy dress, and nearly slipped a few times on the damp decking. Inside on the carpet was fine, but the slick floors almost did me in.

I find that wedges and chunkier heels are easier to walk in, although I do love the look of stilettos. I think that like with many things, the more you wear them, the easier they are to walk in. I wear at least 3 and 1/2" heels four to five days a week for work, and over time, practice makes (mostly) perfect. The advice to add those little grips and/or pads is good, as well. That can help keep your foot from slipping around.

I also completely agree that stilettos on a cruise ship can be a recipe for disaster. Our last cruise I took my favorite pair of 5" stilettos to wear with a fancy dress, and nearly slipped a few times on the damp decking. Inside on the carpet was fine, but the slick floors almost did me in.[/quote]

While I think stilettos look great - on other people :D - when I do wear heels I have better luck in the 'chunkier wedge' type you've described. Unfortunately, as a teacher heels of any kind are usually not practical, although I do have some modest (1 - 1 1/2 inch) ones that I wear on occasion with jeans. As advised, I will practice more & hope for the best! Unfortunately, I've been known to from time to time! :eek:

I love heels, also. The major problem I have with them though, is I am already tall. So when I wear heels, it puts me well over 6' :eek: So, then I am stuck looking down on all the male pattern baldness going on.

Lucky you! :) My Mr. is 6'4 and I'm only about 5'3. I wish I was taller.......

Lucky you! :) My Mr. is 6'4 and I'm only about 5'3. I wish I was taller.......

It can be a good thing, but not always. I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough. You can hem them up, but you cannot possibly stretch them out to make them long enough. Or dresses that are knee length are all of a sudden short enough to show off ones goodies.:o

But I do like being able to reach stuff on the top shelf, and every trip to the grocery store I get asked to reach for something for someone else.

I love heels, also. The major problem I have with them though, is I am already tall. So when I wear heels, it puts me well over 6' :eek: So, then I am stuck looking down on all the male pattern baldness going on.

Gosh... I'm 5'11" and so is hubby and I still wear 4" & 5" heels pretty much everyday.

FONT=Century Gothic]Lucky you! :) My Mr. is 6'4 and I'm only about 5'3. [/font]I wish I was taller.......

It can be a good thing, but not always. I have a hard time finding pants that are long enough. You can hem them up, but you cannot possibly stretch them out to make them long enough. Or dresses that are knee length are all of a sudden short enough to show off ones goodies.:o

But I do like being able to reach stuff on the top shelf, and every trip to the grocery store I get asked to reach for something for someone else.

At least now there are lots of places to get XXlong pants. I need at least a 37" inseam. Back in the day I used to sew material to all my hems. Ugh.

I love wearing high heels. Unfortunately, my feet is TINY. I'm 4.5-5 (size) so I have a hard time finding shoes that fit. I mean I can wear 5 inches if I had the right size because I wore something similar to my friend's wedding but was unable to walk (bought a 5.5)

Gosh... I'm 5'11" and so is hubby and I still wear 4" & 5" heels pretty much everyday.

Hee hee - I'm only 5' 9" in bare feet, but like you, I wear fairly high heels on a daily basis (at least to work). This past summer I went in one day in a pair of ballet flats, because none of my heels matched the new pants I was wearing, and a guy I've worked with for a couple of years walked up next to me, and said, "Hmmm....I always thought you were taller than me - must've been the shoes."

Several years ago DH and I took a trip to Australia, and it was the first time in my life I've ever felt like the "short girl" - more often than not, the ladies I met there were taller than me. Don't know if it's the sunshine or something in the water, but they grow 'em tall down under :)

Ha ha, me too!

I'm 5'9" (incidentally, same height as my hubby), and I love to wear heels on special occasions. Here are my tips:

1) I don't wear stilettos, the heels have to be somewhat chunky or at least squarish for me to wear them. Wedges are an absolute dream, but don't suit every outfit. I do like to wear them with dress pants, but not so much with dresses. for example, I just got these and they feel amazing:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=38002&vid=1&pid=858177&scid=858177012

2) When walking alongside my husband, I remind him to SLOW DOWN when I am in heels. We are normally very fast walkers, but when I wear heels I take it easy for safety's sake. He always chuckles a bit and happily obliges as he likes it when I get dressed up:). Men can walk as fast as normal in their dress shoes, but they don't think about the fact that we can't!

Archived