No cruise shows on Travel Channel or other

tanelicus

I love the cruise shows, usually starring Samantha Brown, yet there hasn't been one on television for awhile. I am not aware of a new one out there. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

Maybe there is a change in the approach that the cruise lines are marketing.

I love the cruise shows, usually starring Samantha Brown, yet there hasn't been one on television for awhile. I am not aware of a new one out there. Am I the only one who has noticed this?

I too have noticed this. There was a show on Freedom of the Seas on NGC a few weeks ago, but the travel channel shows have really dried up. I bought a few on itunes, however, for $1.99 each. Totally worth it--just search samantha brown cruise on itunes for TV episodes.

You're not the only one. The Travel Channel has become a joke. All it is now is famous beaches and ghost stories.:rolleyes:

You're not the only one. The Travel Channel has become a joke. All it is now is famous beaches and ghost stories.:rolleyes:

But even his show seems to be running its course. The new show is novel, but not sure it will be enough to keep it going.

Planet Green has been playing some cruise related shows recently. There is one about Freedom OTS when she was being built, and another about Oasis. The only problem is that not everyone gets that channel.

BTW, I totally agree about channels dumbing down their lineups to satisfy the lowest common denominators of society.

Travel is now just as you described it. History Channel is another offender, it's become the "lets watch people do their daily jobs" channel. I cannot wait for the day that reality TV goes the way of the Dodo.

A lot of the channels are a joke...why run 4 hours of the same programming??

Be it "poker" (on travel) or the guy who eats his way around the world. Same for the cooking...4 hours of redoing restaurants or eating strange foods.

I miss Rick Stevens and the lady Samatha? who covered cruises as well as land trips.

A lot of the channels are a joke...why run 4 hours of the same programming??

Be it "poker" (on travel) or the guy who eats his way around the world. Same for the cooking...4 hours of redoing restaurants or eating strange foods.

I miss Rick Stevens and the lady Samatha? who covered cruises as well as land trips.

They still carry his shows. Theres another Travelscope that is pretty good.

Planet Green has been playing some cruise related shows recently. There is one about Freedom OTS when she was being built, and another about Oasis. The only problem is that not everyone gets that channel.

BTW, I totally agree about channels dumbing down their lineups to satisfy the lowest common denominators of society.

Travel is now just as you described it. History Channel is another offender, it's become the "lets watch people do their daily jobs" channel. I cannot wait for the day that reality TV goes the way of the Dodo.

I've seen those shows and they're pretty good. Why they're on Planet Green is a mystery to me. CNBC did a cruise show on an NCL ship but at least they were examining the business part of the industry.:rolleyes:

The Travel Channel doesn't seem to "get" what the average travel enthusiast is interested in.

Creepy ghost stories, a guy eating bugs and worms....Really:confused:

There are so many possibilities for great programing on a channel dedicated to travel but they just don't get it.

Just turned on TC, Anthony Bourdain is at an underground bar in Japan dedicated to the fans of a local baseball team.(too bad there's no yawn icon).

Hopefully, the Travel Channel doesn't go the way that other cable stations have gone and start running movies. "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", "Airplane!" (and its' sequel), etc. At the very least, if The Travel Channel just had to have something else to add, they could repeat previous seasons of "Survivor". I'd rather see that than the umpteenth repeat of one of the "Man vs. Food" episodes.

How about "Idiot Abroad"? Would that count as a travel show?:rolleyes: Yes, I half feel bad for the poor guy and the other half is rolling on the floor laughing! :D:D

Is that the Ricky Gervais show? It didn't look good, but I might have to try it.

Is that the Ricky Gervais show? It didn't look good, but I might have to try it.

It's mean tempered, in poor taste, and they make fun of that poor guy for laughs. I'm sure he's in on the joke and is hamming it up, but it doesn't send a good message to viewers when the focus is to put him in uncomfortable situations and then laugh at his discomfort.

It's mean tempered, in poor taste, and they make fun of that poor guy for laughs. I'm sure he's in on the joke and is hamming it up, but it doesn't send a good message to viewers when the focus is to put him in uncomfortable situations and then laugh at his discomfort.

That's what made me reluctant to watch it. The shows on HBO with the same 3 guys weren't that funny for that reason.

We will most likely see more cruise shows now that they have the Costa accident to discuss.

R&D

For those interested, ABC's 20/20 special tonight features details on the Costa Concordia, as well as what someone needs to know before going on a cruise. It airs at 10 p.m. EST.

I really like the Anthony Bourdain shows, especially Layover.

For information on ports you're seeing, the Rick Steves shows are pretty good and always on one channel or another. Samantha Brown hasn't done a new show in quite some time. She pretty much has hit all of the ports and done the cruise ship thing. But you can find any of these shows on youtube.

There was a thread like this a few months back, and it ask everyone to e-mail TC and express your thoughts. I did, but no responce.

:(:(:(

I was the O.P. a few months back(I did not ask for e-mails some one else did) I think it has gotten worse since the O.P. In fact Ms brown no longer works for them and it is more ghosts,fat guys eating bat snot,ten year old reruns.This channel is offbase on every level they are the only not to have a reality show to fit there format. And while the movie idea is offbase it is better than 99% of the junk they have on now. By the way T.C. why would I want my vaction to ''attack ''

I wish the Travel Channel would return to primarily a travel channel and not a foodie channel!!! I guess the food and ghost shows pay the bills with commercials!!! Green Planet shows reruns of several cruise shows every few weeks or so.

The History Channel's become the Bible story and UFO Network. Travel Channel is more about food than travel now.

I'm very interested in the paranormal, but hate the ghost shows. It's usually just a bunch of people in an abandoned building, shot through a night vision lens, running from room to room just in time to see...nothing

I wish the Travel Channel would return to primarily a travel channel and not a foodie channel!!! I guess the food and ghost shows pay the bills with commercials!!! Green Planet shows reruns of several cruise shows every few weeks or so.

I agree. It isn't even semi interesting anymore IMO.

I watched the ABC Newsmagazine '20/20' last night "Cruiseship Confidential" primarily recapping the Costa Concordia disaster, along with other unfavorable cruiseship related old news stories. Mostly about people overboard, fights and drunken incidents on board. And about the life of crewmembers, as told by the author of Cruiseship Confidential (I believe the book is called).

The only decent coverage of the cruise industry these days seem to be the occasional documentaries such as that done by CNBC on the financial side of the business, and on History or NGC on the construction of some mega-newbuilds. Oh, there was that one episode of 'Undercover Boss' on Kevin Sheehan of NCL...

You can't even find reruns of the hokey old "The Love Boat" anymore.

I remember when the Travel Channel in its infant days ran thirty minute tours of several new cruise ships conducted by the hostess and a rep from the cruise line that was featured that day. It gave a very nice tour of different class cabins and public areas. It was a low budget operation, perhaps done with a sole handicam, but was interesting nonetheless. Wish they had some of that now instead of the 'stuff' they do have.

IIRC, the shows were sponsored by a large southern Florida travel agency.

Archived