Birthdays on Princess

ricok987

Eventually, they will stop the birthday cakes etc if people continue to do this and I wish they would because by the end of the cruise I just hate that birthday/anniversary song. If it is not your birthday on the cruise you should not get anything.

They'll allow you to celebrate anything you want. Really, what difference does it make since you can only eat so much food anyway. If you didn't eat there celebration cake you would still have ordered something in replacement. :p

We ordered the special cake last cruise only because my wife wanted the rose. We asked them not to sing & they were happy abut that. Actually they could have keep the cake & just brought the rose with a candle & our selections from the dessert menu.

Eventually, they will stop the birthday cakes etc if people continue to do this and I wish they would because by the end of the cruise I just hate that birthday/anniversary song. If it is not your birthday on the cruise you should not get anything.

I agree I can do without the singing. But honestly it's just a cake I really don't think it cost more to produce that than any other dessert. Last time we got eight servings out of it. My birthday is in December and I will never be able to cruise during that month.

I celebrated my 50th birthday last month on the Crown Princess even though we did not sail until three days later. DH's birthday is 19 days after mine. We have sometimes celebrated his birthday as well as mine on cruises, but we did not this year since we came back before Christmas. I told him it was not proper to celebrate his birthday before then.

When we have celebrated both, we'll do mine the first night and his the last. Our birthdays have always been within two weeks of when we've celebrated them on the ship, so I don't think they're too far away.

I did not get balloons or the new cabin door sign on our last cruise, but it may have been because I decorated our door for Christmas and there wasn't any room for the sign. I saw both the balloons and signs at other cabins.

P.S. Last summer Princess had a promotion that offered onboard credit for sailing during your birthday month. That was a nice treat for me and helped us keep our onboard account under $25 when combined with our FCC, shareholders credit, and our TA's credit.

If it is not your birthday on the cruise you should not get anything.

From the cruise personalizer:

We want your special occasions to be memorable. If you have an event that is within 30 days prior to your voyage or 45 days after your voyage, we want to help you celebrate it in style.

So, they give you a lot of latitude.

Coming soon to a bookstore near you: the new Dr. Seuss book, The Grinch Who Stole Birthdays.

Coming soon to a bookstore near you: the new Dr. Seuss book, The Grinch Who Stole Birthdays.

Yeah, but...

You get a disappointing little cupcake in the dining room,

and some paper stuck to your cabin door.

I don't understand even bothering to tell Princess when it

is ACTUALLY your brithday.

I mean, why would I care if a couple waiters I'll never see

again --- who are commanded to sing, by a head-waiter

--- do so? I don't find it touching at all.

Hey, I like that. We dont celebrate birthdays or holidays in my family anymore so I guess I just do not understand celebrating that you are another year oler.

Put it in the cruise personalizer. You can choose which passenger is celebrating what event and pick the day you want to celebrate. We got balloons (April, 2011) and a card to present to the waiter at dinner. They sang "Happy Anniversary" to us and we got the cake too.

One side note if you decide to pre-order anything out of the Gifts & Services catalog for her though....take the card to the gift shop as soon as you get it to redeem it for whatever you ordered (box of chocolates or whatever). I asked to have ours delivered on Thursday. Didn't get the card until that morning and went to the shop to redeem and they had sold out of them. I was pretty steamed considering that I preordered it months in advance. But it was a lesson learned and I won't duplicate my mistake.

PS - Celebrate both birthdays....on separate nights so you can have TWO celebrations. :)

Hi All

Pic of standard birthday cake

DSCN0592.jpg?t=1252525040

however I asked if I could get a cake made big enough for all my table mates to share chef was happy to assist, the triple choc was great and the half bottle of rum in the mix was not bad either.

DSCN0279.jpg

yours Shogun

Good Lord..... What a bunch of dead heads.

Some people like to celebrate. And so they wait till after their birthday. So What. If they want to have it celebrated some where special, like on a cruise, then why not. The cake was great the singing was fun and the whole dining room joined in so most did enjoy it. I just got off the Grand and I celebrated my retirement with the balloons and the cake and it was a great way to end my work career. If you ask the head waiter ahead of time they will be more than happy to make up a cake for your whole table.

We usually cruise in December, and both our anniversary and my birthday are in December so one or both get celebrated onboard.

This year we cruised the Ruby in January, and hubby's birthday is in February(within 45 days after the cruise) so we entered it on the personalizer to have it celebrated. He got balloons and the sticky sign on the door, which we brought home. There was also a card in the room to be given to your server in the dining room, if you wanted the cake and singing. He declined because the cake is really quite large and very rich.

On the first night of the cruise, we ate at Sabatini's. When I made the reservation, they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion this cruise. I said yes, so he was presented with a cake and singing in Sabatini's as well. Don't know whether it was because it was Sabatini's or what, but the cake was different from the ones pictured on this thread. It was similar, but there was no rose. And I am surprised they are still using real candles because I thought open flame was banned on cruise ships now.

Sabatini's did not ask for any proof or anything of when his birthday was, so I suppose if you really wanted the cake you could tell them it was your birthday. Don't think they checked. With so much food aboard though, it seems a bit odd to me to lie about it.

We usually cruise in December, and both our anniversary and my birthday are in December so one or both get celebrated onboard.

This year we cruised the Ruby in January, and hubby's birthday is in February(within 45 days after the cruise) so we entered it on the personalizer to have it celebrated. He got balloons and the sticky sign on the door, which we brought home. There was also a card in the room to be given to your server in the dining room, if you wanted the cake and singing. He declined because the cake is really quite large and very rich.

On the first night of the cruise, we ate at Sabatini's. When I made the reservation, they asked if we were celebrating a special occasion this cruise. I said yes, so he was presented with a cake and singing in Sabatini's as well. Don't know whether it was because it was Sabatini's or what, but the cake was different from the ones pictured on this thread. It was similar, but there was no rose. And I am surprised they are still using real candles because I thought open flame was banned on cruise ships now.

Sabatini's did not ask for any proof or anything of when his birthday was, so I suppose if you really wanted the cake you could tell them it was your birthday. Don't think they checked. With so much food aboard though, it seems a bit odd to me to lie about it.

You can celebrate any event you please, even groundhog day. No questions asked. ;)

My granddaughter will be celebrating her 14th birthday aboard. Do they really let you keep the magnet? She will like that.

Karen

It's only applied with a real sticky double sided tape & if you stick it to a piece of glossy paper (like a Patter) you can re-stick it at home to her bedroom door. So far I've only seen happy birthdays & happy anniversaries but I suppose they could print up anything for a special occasion.

From the Princess Cruise Personalizer:

SPECIAL OCCASIONS

"We want your special occasions to be memorable. If you have an event that is within 30 days prior to your voyage or 45 days after your voyage, we want to help you celebrate it in style. Choose the passenger who is celebrating the occasion and the date on your cruise that you'd like to celebrate! "

• 5 months later...

I agree with the posts about taking advantage & Princess eventually stopping it for abuse. No??? Check out the thread about the suites that don't get free internet anymore. One of the theories is about sharing the free internet with friends and families. You think Princess doesn't read these boards?? That's why people get up & arms over perks being taken away & constant changes. I think it's easier to monitor a free dinner then free internet. People who are ALWAYS trying to get over & get something for nothing are the ones that ruin it for everyone else. Lying about your birthday for a cake?? Really??

Any recent updates? Still the door card I assume. What about balloons? Maybe I should just bring my own with some tape? It's going to be my son's 15th.

Yes, still 3 or 4 balloons on the door.

Hey, I like that. We dont celebrate birthdays or holidays in my family anymore so I guess I just do not understand celebrating that you are another year oler.

Well, if you are alive to celebrate another birthday -that is a good enough reason for me! Too many friends and family cannot celebrate their birthdays ever again. Enjoy and appreciate the good times while you have them!

Archived