Princess' Wine Bottle Package

cruzinchris

DH and I had a brief conversation with Crown Maitre d' Neville Saldanha at which time we told him how glad we were that Princess has instituted the Wine Bottle Package. We asked him about use of the card onboard, and he said that any transaction using the wine bottle card must be initiated in a dining room. Since diners at HC can enjoy beer/wine with their meals, it would seem that this is considered a "dining venue". One cannot use the card at an onboard bar like Crooner's, Explorer's, or even Vines.

Also, once you've purchased the wine bottle card, the wine is yours to use as you wish. If you don't finish a bottle at dinner but want to have it in your stateroom, waitstaff will arrange to have it delivered. Same with an unopened bottle: Just tell your waiter that you'd like to have one of your bottles sent to your stateroom. The Wine Bottle Package is a grand plan that gives Princess passengers the opportunity to savor different wines and save money.

Cheers!

I will be on the Ruby in 2 weeks, they are not yet offering the package. It sounds similar to most other lines packages. I think it's a great program and will be happy when it's instituted fleetwide.

I will be on the Ruby in 2 weeks, they are not yet offering the package. It sounds similar to most other lines packages. I think it's a great program and will be happy when it's instituted fleetwide.

On our recent cruise on the Island, after a couple of days in the MDR I noticed a small sign just inside the entrance about a 'wine card'. I asked the sommelier about it & why it hadn't been adverstised in the Patter or on the MDR tables like for the wine tastings. He said it had been advertised but there wasn't anything in the Patter nor was a flyer sent to our cabin. For the 1st time we received a daily 'sales' summary ad flyer in our cabin which to me was a waste of paper but definitely did not receive ANYTHING about the wine program. :eek:

With such terrible promotion of the program it's bound to fail. I would like to know about it in advance to decide if I want to participate instead of bringing wine onboard & paying corkage fees. They did not tell me in advance & at least on the Island they failed to promote the program by only having a small sign in the MDR entrance which was very easily missed...even by someone who was considering the program if it was offered on our 14 day Island Princess cruise. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Where would be the best place to inquire about whether they are offering the wine package? Is it best to do this at the Purser's Desk, or with the Maitre D' for the Main Dining Room?

We prefer to drink wine at dinner and not in our room so we rarely take more then 1 or 2 bottles with us and do usually purchase wine at dinner.

We're the same. We always share a bottle at dinner, but never drink wine in our cabin. I'm hoping we'll be able to pre-purchase a package for our Oct., Island cruise. It's nice to pay for as much as possible in advance. We'll still carry on a few bottles of dessert wines to have a glass each with dessert. Their dessert wine list is severely lacking, IMHO.

Where would be the best place to inquire about whether they are offering the wine package? Is it best to do this at the Purser's Desk, or with the Maitre D' for the Main Dining Room?

Based on my experience, I'd check with the Maitre D' because even when I asked the sommelier he didn't seem interested in promoting the program nor did he volunteer to give me any details about the program.

The Maitre 'd woould be the best person to check with.

I asked ours on the Ocean Princess in April and it was not available.

Based on my experience, I'd check with the Maitre D' because even when I asked the sommelier he didn't seem interested in promoting the program nor did he volunteer to give me any details about the program.

The Maitre 'd woould be the best person to check with.

I asked ours on the Ocean Princess in April and it was not available.

Thanks.... I'll check with the Maitre d'. It seems very strange that they have this program, but are not promoting it. I wonder if it cuts into the tips (the 15% automatically added on), and so the staff are not very interested in promoting it?

Thanks.... I'll check with the Maitre d'. It seems very strange that they have this program, but are not promoting it. I wonder if it cuts into the tips (the 15% automatically added on), and so the staff are not very interested in promoting it?

The lack of any sort of promotion on my cruise has me wondering why not also? :confused:

Since the wine program adds the 15% tip to the package then that should be the same amount. I can't think of any good reason for not promoting the program but apparently there must be a reason to some staff to not promote it & unfortunately it will fail if not properly promoted. :confused:

The wine package was promoted on the Island Princess earlier this month. Only location (that I noticed) was at the stairwell immediately behind the buffet restaurant. They were only pushing it on embarkation there though the display (with empty bottles of course) remained there the whole cruise. Didn't know the package allowed one to trade up.

I've written to customer relations letting them know (1) that I hope they will take this fleet-wide, and (2) that reports on CruiseCritic are that it is not being well promoted.

I'll probably get a form letter back in response, but hopefully if enough people voice support they will see that this is a popular option.

I've written to customer relations letting them know (1) that I hope they will take this fleet-wide, and (2) that reports on CruiseCritic are that it is not being well promoted.

I'll probably get a form letter back in response, but hopefully if enough people voice support they will see that this is a popular option.

I plan to also email them because I really want to see this option succeed to have another option when bringing wine onboard is a more difficult thing to do. I was looking for it & wasn't able to see it offered & just thought it wasn't available on our ship. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

I plan to also email them because I really want to see this option succeed to have another option when bringing wine onboard is a more difficult thing to do. I was looking for it & wasn't able to see it offered & just thought it wasn't available on our ship. :(

Astro Flyer, that is great! The more of us who contact them the better. Here is the email address: customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I called Princess yesterday and the first person I spoke with told me no such packages exist. When I read him the cc posts he basically told me I was crazy. Obviously it's still in its infant stage

As a travel agent I then called into a back line and spoke with management and was told the program is still being tested and that it is on a ship by ship basis. I'll let you all know what happens when I board the Ruby bpnext month. I'm sure I'll find something now that I know to look for it

The package is currently available on the Pacific Princess. The details are:

Note: A 15% gratuity will be added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $335 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

The package is currently available on the Pacific Princess. The details are:

Note: A 15% gratuity will be added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $335 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

I looked at the package that was being offered on the Island Princess in 2/12 and did not purchase it because I was told that I could not upgrade by paying the difference. I was told that it was a recent change to eliminate the upgrade option. Perhaps Princess found out that they would not sell many without the upgrade. With the upgrade option I would certainly purchase the package.

I do not recall a lot of advertising, but the had a table set up for a few days.

When was your cruise? Could you upgrade from both the Silver and Gold package?

Thanks

When was your cruise?

Thanks

Looking at her signature, it appears she is currently on the Pacific Princess.

Sure hope this program is still in place in December :D.

I just posted a question on the Princess FaceBook page asking about the wine package availability. I will post here if I get an answer

Thanks Paul, we are not cruising again until September so will stay tuned for an answer....if any.

Looking at her signature, it appears she is currently on the Pacific Princess.

Sure hope this program is still in place in December :D.

Thanks. I missed that. I hope as well for the Ocean in. Feb.

In response to my question on FaceBook, Princess posted:

Wine packages are currently available on most ships on itineraries over 10 days in length. Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share it with management.

In response to my question on FaceBook, Princess posted:

Wine packages are currently available on most ships on itineraries over 10 days in length. Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share it with management.

Thanks Paul & hopefully they'll improve their poor promotion that I've recently experienced for this option. It would also be helpful to know in advance if it's offered during a cruise & the details ito decide whether to carry our own wine onboard or to consider the wine card program.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I enjoyed the wine package Carnival offers when we sailed on one of its ships in March. I'm hoping they'll have a wine package on the Sapphire when we sail in August since we're taking the land tour in Alaska beforehand. I don't want to be schlepping a lot of wine around.