Bleach for virus killing

Fat Bottom Gurl

Instead of buying all these "wipes" - buy household bleach and mix 1 part bleach with 4 parts water. Spray that and wipe. Inexpensive - use it in your home too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite6]

A 1-in-5 dilution of household bleach with water (1 part bleach to 4 parts water) is effective against many bacteria and some viruses, and is often the disinfectant of choice in cleaning surfaces in hospitals (primarily in the United States). The solution is corrosive, and needs to be thoroughly removed afterwards, so the bleach disinfection is sometimes followed by an ethanol disinfection. Even "scientific-grade", commercially produced disinfection solutions such as Virocidin-X usually have sodium hypochlorite as their sole active ingredient, though they also contain surfactants (to prevent beading) and fragrances (to conceal the bleach smell).[6]

there is no sure-fire way to prevent Noro-virus but a little precaution can help lessen the chances of getting it:

wash hands with soap/hot water and keep your hands away from the face.

do not sneeze in your hands. if you don't have tissues handy, sneeze in the bend of your arm instead.

carry tissues with you and use them when holding the handrails, door knobs, etc.

use the wipes on your key card - remember, the wait-staff is handling this card as well.

Avoid using the public bathrooms, if possible.

Use hand sanitizer in public areas often.

Instead of buying all these "wipes" - buy household bleach and mix 1 part bleach with 4 parts water. Spray that and wipe. Inexpensive - use it in your home too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite6]

A 1-in-5 dilution of household bleach with water (1 part bleach to 4 parts water) is effective against many bacteria and some viruses, and is often the disinfectant of choice in cleaning surfaces in hospitals (primarily in the United States). The solution is corrosive, and needs to be thoroughly removed afterwards, so the bleach disinfection is sometimes followed by an ethanol disinfection. Even "scientific-grade", commercially produced disinfection solutions such as Virocidin-X usually have sodium hypochlorite as their sole active ingredient, though they also contain surfactants (to prevent beading) and fragrances (to conceal the bleach smell).[6]

"many bacteria and some viruses" Many Viruses cannot be killed by even Bleach. And I think Noro is one. Plain old hand washing with soap and water seems to work best.

:)Hi there

A good friend of mine who is a avid cruiser told me what she does on every cruise she takes.....

She buys a can of lysol spray before she gets on the ship and the second she gets to her cabin she sprays EVERYTHING. Door handles etc. She said it works for her.:)

:)Hi there

A good friend of mine who is a avid cruiser told me what she does on every cruise she takes.....

She buys a can of lysol spray before she gets on the ship and the second she gets to her cabin she sprays EVERYTHING. Door handles etc. She said it works for her.:)

That is a great idea! We are going in May and I am now planning on bringing a Lysol spray bottle with me to use in our cabin. GREAT advice, thanks!!! My daughter had Noro with she was 9 months old, so we know how nasty it is first hand and don't want to bring any of those germs back to Chicago with us!! Thanks again!

Indeed, as do many others. However, that is only logical if everyone in the room is sterile and no one else comes into the room. Ever. ;) The cabin steward touches all kinds of things when s/he is cleaning your room... imagine him/her cleaning the toilet and then moving on to other parts of your cabin. Germs are easily spread.

I have read that hand santizers with Benzethonium Chloride are more effective in killing Noro. Wet Ones have this ingredient. Also Clorox Germical wipes. These are different than the ones you get in the grocery store. I ordered mine online. I plan to take the Colorox wipes to wipe down my cabin as soon as we arrive. As previously said hand washing is the best way to prevent the viruis but when not able to do so, I will use hand santizer and hope to avoid getting sick.

And how many times does everyone have to repeat: HAND SANITIZER DOES NOT KILL NORO VIRUS! Ugh, im sick of the silly advice at this point! Carry bleach with me to disinfect things? Is this a joke?

Perhaps you should recheck your information before yelling and acting like a fool. SOME hand sanitizers DO KILL IT. Please know what you are talking about before insinuating other people are idiots.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

Indeed, as do many others. However, that is only logical if everyone in the room is sterile and no one else comes into the room. Ever. ;) The cabin steward touches all kinds of things when s/he is cleaning your room... imagine him/her cleaning the toilet and then moving on to other parts of your cabin. Germs are easily spread.

^ This and who knows how many rooms he/she has cleaned with the same rag/cleaning utensils before yours.

^ This and who knows how many rooms he/she has cleaned with the same rag/cleaning utensils before yours.

The CDC and Cruise lines are way ahead of you. We worked out this potential cross contamination issue decades ago.

CDC and Cruise Line cleaning policies are very strict on how this sort of cleaning happens.

Different chemicals and different colored micro-fiber cloths are used for cleaning different parts of your cabin. There is a very specific order of what is cleaned when.

When the steward finshes your cabin, he washes his hands, changes gloves, changes cloths, and starts over again on the next cabin.

Ship's crew are trained to be fastidiously clean. They are generally far cleaner than the passengers. I can remember only one occasion in the past 3 decades where a greater number of crew than passengers was ill duing an NLV outbreak. Considering all the unclean and unwell passengers we are in contact with - week after week - the odds are great that the crew would have far more illness than the passengers.

When the steward finshes your cabin, he washes his hands, changes gloves, changes cloths, and starts over again on the next cabin....

Thanks, Bruce. While your comments are appreciated, we will never really know this for sure unless absolutely every single room steward is followed around fastidiously.

Thanks, Bruce. While your comments are appreciated, we will never really know this for sure unless absolutely every single room steward is followed around fastidiously.
Look at it this way - Which do you think a cabin steward would rather do? Clean cabins according to the protocol Bruce Muzz has cited or clean cabins where the passengers are ill because he/she cross-contaminated? ;). How long would you keep your job if you didn't follow directions from your supervisors?

You can soak stuff in this solution. Or you can buy bleach prior to boarding the ship and make up your own solution (bring a spray bottle in your luggage). Thing is - the wipes you are purchasing do not contain the bleach solution to kill the virus.

Bottom line----no cruise ship will allow a passenger to bring on any kind of bleach solution.

God, now what? Will cruise lines have to specifically tell passengers that something like bleach isn't allowed?

Bottom line----no cruise ship will allow a passenger to bring on any kind of bleach solution.

God, now what? Will cruise lines have to specifically tell passengers that something like bleach isn't allowed?

Can't find that bleach is not allowed.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

Prohibited Items – will be disposed of prior to boarding

• Large coolers

• Alcohol in unsealed containers

• Firearms (Including, non-firing weapons and starter pistols)

• Ammunition (i.e., bullets, shot or missile that can be fired using a propellant)

• Imitation or replica weapons (Including., de-commissioned weapons or those not capable of being fired, toy weapons, or any other item made, intended or adapted to be used as a weapon)

• Explosives or explosive component parts, (Including, detonators)

• Fireworks or pyrotechnics (except those previously approved in connection with a company stage production which have been properly manifested)

• Taser or electronic stun guns

• Pepper or mace sprays

• Telescopic or regular batons

• Martial arts equipment (Including., flails, throwing stars, belt buckle knives, etc.)

• Handcuffs, brass knuckles

• Compressed gas bottles/cylinders

• Knives with blades longer than four (4) inches ( Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise.)

• Dive tanks (empty or full), diver spears/slings

• Household goods or tools of trade

• Volatile and highly flammable liquids such as cigarette lighter fluid

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held onboard in the same manner as dive knives.)

• Medical Marijuana

• Bicycles

• Surfboards

• Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility – must be stored in guest’s stateroom)

• Boats/canoes

• Segways

• Any footwear with wheels, i.e. Heely’s type shoes

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Medical gas bottles/oxygen cylinders: Allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to guest services and stored in a designated safe area.

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

• Live Animals: Only qualified service animals once approved by Guest Access Services at time of booking.

• Flowers and Plants: May be brought on board in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

• Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

• Floatation Devices: For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board.

• Wrapped Gifts: Guests may bring wrapped gifts on board; however, due to heightened security, the gift may have to be unwrapped, upon request.

• DVDs/VCRs/Nintendo/Play Units: Due to compatibility issues with stateroom televisions, these items can only be utilized in suites and guests must provide their own RCA cables.

• Fish Caught on Fishing Expeditions: The fish cannot be brought on board; it must be shipped home.

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors.

The CDC and Cruise lines are way ahead of you. We worked out this potential cross contamination issue decades ago.

CDC and Cruise Line cleaning policies are very strict on how this sort of cleaning happens.

Different chemicals and different colored micro-fiber cloths are used for cleaning different parts of your cabin. There is a very specific order of what is cleaned when.

When the steward finshes your cabin, he washes his hands, changes gloves, changes cloths, and starts over again on the next cabin.

Ship's crew are trained to be fastidiously clean. They are generally far cleaner than the passengers. I can remember only one occasion in the past 3 decades where a greater number of crew than passengers was ill duing an NLV outbreak. Considering all the unclean and unwell passengers we are in contact with - week after week - the odds are great that the crew would have far more illness than the passengers.

It's good to know then that they are doing some sort of protocol regarding cleaning the rooms. I would think the room steward would have the most contact with infected persons as they have to clean infected rooms. Masks would probably be a good idea if there is an outbreak as the virus could be airborne if someone just vomited or had a bowel movement in the bathroom.

Do you happen to know if any of the crew especially food preparers gets infected - do they isolate them or keep them from preparing any food for at least a couple of weeks? I read the virus can still be spread by someone preparing your food even if they have been symptom free for a week.

This article gave me good information on these viruses and informed me of what I didn't know. Not just for cruise ships but for being around home as well:

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/how-can-i-avoid-getting-the-stomach-flu

Lighten-up folks and just enjoy life :) It is very easy to become obesessive about viruses and germs (germophobes) which can actually become a form of mental illness. Noro is very common (more then 20 million cases a year) and most of the time you get noro at home you just say "I have a stomach bug" and you get better after a couple of days and life goes on. Sure, you can get crazed and take bleach, wipes, etc. You can wipe down everything in your cabin (do not forget your TV remote control) and wash your hands 39 times a day. And then you touch a plate, fork, knife, chair, stair rail, door, etc and you are contaminated. And even if you do everything right its very possible you could pick up the bug just eating at a buffet or even in the MDR. DW and I have spent more then 2 years on many different cruise ships and have never (knock on wood) had Noro on any cruise. And the big surprise is that we are in the majority. So what is our big secret to not getting Noro. It is simply "LUCK." So go have your nice cruise, wash your hands whenever its reasonable, try to avoid touching your face, eyes or mouth with your hands, and just have fun. If you get sick, it sucks, you will be miserable for a couple of days, and you will be fine. But worrying and obsessing about Noro is a sure-fire way to make yourself miserable while you are healthy :)

Hank

Archived