Overview of drink packages

sarafinadh

Like has been said before, it really depends what a person drinks. I would venture a guess that 95% of Americans would be perfectly happy with what is included in the Classic package. I am just off the Constellation from 5 days, and DH and I never wanted a single thing that wasn't available with the classic package. Wewould strongly suggest anyone with the classic NOT upgrade to the premium, unless you know that you really *must* have top-shelf liquors or the fanciest martinis. We were perfectly happy with the large selection of mixed drinks, variety of wine, and DH had his bacardi and coke! :D

(I agree that it is nice to not worry about the final bill, but that's easily solved since there should be no worrying if you simply order what's included in your package! That's not a benefit limited to the Premium package...)

I believe that your assumption regarding 95% is a bit high.....the Classic package is great for the average beer drinker or the person who likes a one alcohol drink, like a Bacardi & Coke, Stoli & OJ, Jack & Coke, etc. With the exception of the basic Martini, all of the fancier versions as well as every offering at the Molecular Bar is excluded from the Classic package. And all of the craft beers and many of the more expensive imports are excluded from the Classic package as well. Some of the craft beers don't even fit under the 12.00 Premium ceiling.

In actuality, I hope that your assumption would be correct, because then the Martini Bar on my Summit cruise this fall as well as my first S Class cruise with a Molecular Bar next Spring would be even better, because not as many people would be enjoying their alcoholic concoctions at either of these locations if they only had the Classic package.

I have a question on the Classic package if you can order beer up to $5.00 if Bud light is $5.00 plus the tip then makes it $5.75?? so would you be able to order a bud light??

on the classic package???

The tip is not included when computing the price of beverages available on the various packages. Bud Lite definitely is available on the Classic package. Trust me... we drank Bud Lites all the way from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam last May on the Classic package with no problem. Same thing for Heinekins.

Great selection! Fifty beers available.

I think you are an optimist. I have never been on cruise where the actual availability matched the published bar list. I think the selection will be far less; not bad mind you but probably not close to the diversity implied by the list. I think what's on board in the beer selection largely depends on what they can source in port when they restock. If per chance they actually truly stock 50 different beers then i suspect it would be limited qty of each ..... so they would probably run out of some very early in the cruise.

Edited by stratixman

I think you are an optimist. I have never been on cruise where the actual availability matched the published bar list. I think the selection will be far less; not bad mind you but probably not close to the diversity implied by the list. I think what's on board in the beer selection largely depends on what they can source in port when they restock. If per chance they actually truly stock 50 different beers then i suspect it would be limited qty of each ..... so they would probably run out of some very early in the cruise.

Nope. I am a realist. Michael's Club offers 50 different beers. My husband and his friend did not get through all 50 as that was their goal but got close during our week on the Reflection. Just got off last week.

With either package, how quickly/frequently can you order drinks? For example, can you order a glass of wine to go with each course if dining in the MDR?

Or at the pool bar, could I order a drink and then order another one a minute later? I'm not a heavy drinker, but might want to take a couple back to my cabin to enjoy on my veranda. :D

With either package, how quickly/frequently can you order drinks? For example, can you order a glass of wine to go with each course if dining in the MDR?

Or at the pool bar, could I order a drink and then order another one a minute later? I'm not a heavy drinker, but might want to take a couple back to my cabin to enjoy on my veranda. :D

Can't answer the latter, but on the former, absolutely.

1) yes if your sommelier comes by as often as you need him/her.

2) yes, but don't try to order 2 drinks at once on your card! I tried just to get two different size bottles of water - NO was the answer from the bar tender as I wanted one for an excursion and one for the mini-fridge.

With our experience last week on the Reflection, we found the sommelier to be overworked and spread too thing. Our traveling companions put this in their end-of-cruise survey. The first night, it was everything just to get her attention and to get ONE glass of wine. As the week progressed, she came around but we only had two glasses at most during the dinner service.

The staff will be watching for "piggy backing" in which a couple or group only have the drink package on one member's sea pass card and use it to order drinks for everybody. Each drink order requires one sea pass card. Two drinks at one time require two valid sea pass cards to be presented to the server. I would say if you order a few minutes apart and it does not appear you have companions waiting to receive your additional drinks, you should be OK in ordering again.

Agree that Premium is the way to go. We upgraded and paid the $10 extra per person, per day + 15 percent gratuity for our Reflection cruise that ended last Saturday. Cost was $161 for my husband and myself. I kept a daily log of what we drank. For the week's cruise, it totaled $1,005.

They are offering "free" classic packages with certain sailings if you book this month. Do you think you can upgrade to Premium once on board, although ths was a "free" bonus? Premium is the way to go, if they include the Martinis. :D

They are offering "free" classic packages with certain sailings if you book this month. Do you think you can upgrade to Premium once on board, although ths was a "free" bonus? Premium is the way to go, if they include the Martinis. :D

We got the free package and upgraded to the premium for an additional $10 per day + 15 percent gratuity - total $80.50 per person or $161 for a couple. I am an agent and I have been told repeatedly by Celebrity that you must purchase prior to getting on the ship.

We got the free package and upgraded to the premium for an additional $10 per day + 15 percent gratuity - total $80.50 per person or $161 for a couple. I am an agent and I have been told repeatedly by Celebrity that you must purchase prior to getting on the ship.

I don't doubt that's what your were told, but we all know about how mis-informed the telephone reps are. If you call and speak to 3 different reps, you'll receive at least 5 different answers to any question.

I can't see X refusing to take your money for an upgrade once on board.

I don't doubt that's what your were told, but we all know about how mis-informed the telephone reps are. If you call and speak to 3 different reps, you'll receive at least 5 different answers to any question.

I can't see X refusing to take your money for an upgrade once on board.

The reps that the general public are not the same ones that agents use. They are very informed and knowledgeable.

I have been told repeatedly by Celebrity that you must purchase prior to getting on the ship.
Of course they're going to say that because they want to generate as much revenue as possible. For example, someone is cruising in Europe over the summer and they got to choose 2 out of the 3 options as part of the 123 promo and they chose the drinks package and the 300 OBC. They would still have excess OBC after paying their gratuities, even more if they had to pre-pay their grats if they had select dining. If they are also utilizing private shore excursions, then where else are they going to spend the OBC besides the duty free shops? They can use it to upgrade to the premium package.

It's just like when you get an email advising you to show up after 1:00 PM on embarkation day. Those in the know will be there by 11:00 AM, and they'll be enjoying their lunch and have already broken in their drinks package by the time the people that listened to that email show up to board.

Seems to me that Celebrity has clearly answered this question in the sticky they posted at the top of this forum covering thew 123 Go promotion. The classic package absolutely can be upgraded once on board. You can not upgrade just for certain days but for the entire remaining duration of the cruise from the day you upgrade. Just be aware that if you have two drink packages they both have to be upgraded. Why? Obviously because Celebrity doesn't want to deal with one cruiser getting the premium package and supplying premium drinks to the other cruiser who only has the classic package. The upgrade cost is $11.50 per day per package. Is it worth it? I say yes if you enjoy better quality drinks and especially if you are on a ship with the molecular bar. Also when thinking about the upgrade keep in mind that if you stick with the classic package and order a drink over the stated maximum prices ($5 for beer and $8 for wine and cocktails) you will get charged the total real cost and gratuity, meaning that a $10 martini not covered by the classic package will get charged at $10 + $1.50 gratuity. That alone may makes upgrading to the premium worth while for anyone who wants to try one or two drinks not covered by the classic package. Note also that with the premium package if you order more than a $12 drink they will only charge the difference between $12 and the drink price with 15% gratuity calculated on the difference.

Also when thinking about the upgrade keep in mind that if you stick with the classic package and order a drink over the stated maximum prices ($5 for beer and $8 for wine and cocktails) you will get charged the total real cost and gratuity, meaning that a $10 martini not covered by the classic package will get charged at $10 + $1.50 gratuity. That alone may makes upgrading to the premium worth while for anyone who wants to try one or two drinks not covered by the classic package. Note also that with the premium package if you order more than a $12 drink they will only charge the difference between $12 and the drink price with 15% gratuity calculated on the difference.

For our upcoming cruise, it would cost us $322 to upgrade from our Classic package. So we are still ahead of the game sticking with the Classic and buying the occasional higher cost drink or glass of wine, even if we have to pay the full cost and not the difference as you would with the Premium package.

While the Premium package is definitely a good choice for some people, the Classic is a far better choice for many of us.

While the Premium package is definitely a good choice for some people, the Classic is a far better choice for many of us.

It's a "far better choice" for those that like to stick with what they normally drink at home, whether it be a basic beer, wine or a simple one alcohol drink like a Bacardi or Jack with Coke or a Stoli & OJ. For those with more refined tastes or for those who like to experiment and try many different drinks that they normally would not drink at home like those offered at the Martini Bar, or drinks that they can't even make at home like those offered at the Molecular Bar, then the Premium package is the preferred choice.

It's like ice cream, many people are happy with vanilla or chocolate, but some prefer more exotic flavors. Edit....you do realize you can upgrade with up to 3 days remaining in your cruise and then it would not cost you 322 to upgrade, but only 69.

Edited by SNJCruisers

It's a "far better choice" for those that like to stick with what they normally drink at home.

Exactly. Experimenting with different drinks and hanging out in bars was something I did in my youth. Now I'm perfectly content sticking with my favourites, most of which I can get with the Classic package. :)

Edited by Fouremco

Hi--

General question--I know we can purchase on board, and will probably purchase on day #2. For a 4 night cruise, if we purchase on day 2, are we charged for the day we disembark? So if the cruise left on Thursday, we purchased on Friday and we disembark on Monday, are we charged for Friday/Saturday/Sunday?

Thanks!

Bob and Ray:)

Hi--

General question--I know we can purchase on board, and will probably purchase on day #2. For a 4 night cruise, if we purchase on day 2, are we charged for the day we disembark? So if the cruise left on Thursday, we purchased on Friday and we disembark on Monday, are we charged for Friday/Saturday/Sunday?

Thanks!

Bob and Ray:)

disembark = you don't pay

That helps a lot. I'm in. :D