Resident Rate

Found a cruise offering.this... what is this and what do i need to know about the unwritten rules..

Carnival sometimes will offer a lower rate for residents of certain specified states; the offer may come and go (or never be offered) and the states may change, for a given cruise. One passenger in the Booking is required to be a Resident of that state, which they at least presumably check when you book when you give your address. Somewhere in the fine print it's mentioned that if they find you don't qualify, they can charge you the going rate. ken

wow thats it? as long as you put your zip code in correct, you qualify if it has resident rate? Just happened to look on priceline and the cruise I was looking at is now offering this. Is this only on priceline or can you get this rate from carnival too? For a category 6B its $250 for 6C $284! These are well over $300 on carnival site? Is it worth the upgrade from 6B to 6C oceanview?

wow thats it? as long as you put your zip code in correct, you qualify if it has resident rate? Just happened to look on priceline and the cruise I was looking at is now offering this. Is this only on priceline or can you get this rate from carnival too? For a category 6B its $250 for 6C $284! These are well over $300 on carnival site? Is it worth the upgrade from 6B to 6C oceanview?

Make sure you put your state residency in when search for a cruise (and any other rate you may qualify for).

If it is a Carnival discount it should show up as an option along with Early Saver, Fun Select etc.

I've never been asked to prove this either.

In the days when docs were mailed there was no need.

It's also possible to verify address information against credit card billing addresses.

wow thats it? as long as you put your zip code in correct, you qualify if it has resident rate? Just happened to look on XXXXX and the cruise I was looking at is now offering this. Is this only on XXXX or can you get this rate from carnival too? For a category 6B its $250 for 6C $284! These are well over $300 on carnival site? Is it worth the upgrade from 6B to 6C oceanview?

Carnival would have this same rate, you just are not putting in your state correctly.

I would book direct.

No TA site is allowed to advertise lower rates, so believe me when I say the rate is the same as booking direct.

I booked with a resident rate my last cruise and I don't remember having to verify it either, other than that we had to give them our address when booking. We used our passports for ID and I don't remember having to show my DL. There were no additional restrictions with the resident rate, other than having to qualify in the first place of course. On the Carnival page there is a place where you can select for them to check for Special Rates. If you are doing a quick search, try an advance search, and enter your zip code. It should bring up resident rates if they have them available for your area.

It is a rate they use sometimes to increase bookings from a certain area.

The only catch is you have to actually be a resident of the state in which it is offered and be able to prove it at check-in.

You have to prove residency to book the rate, but not to price match against it for ES.

Does anybody know how this works for military? We have kept our residency in Kansas--our home of record. Our driver's licenses have our parents' addresses and that's where we pay income tax, vote, etc. But we currently live in VA, previously NC. Do they go by your physical address, DL address, where you claim residency? Do I pick and choose whichever gives me a better deal? All this assuming another rate isn't better.

Does anybody know how this works for military? We have kept our residency in Kansas--our home of record. Our driver's licenses have our parents' addresses and that's where we pay income tax, vote, etc. But we currently live in VA, previously NC. Do they go by your physical address, DL address, where you claim residency? Do I pick and choose whichever gives me a better deal? All this assuming another rate isn't better.

Don't know, but why wouldn't you book Military rate?

As long as you can supply something with your name & address

in the res rate state (like an electric bill) "if asked at check in" you will

be okay. They rarely challange you but why worry.

Military Rates , when available , are usually better than most other rates ,

including Res. ,

except ES and don't have the restrictions of ES.

Archived