1st time cruise with group of friends

mkmom

Ok, so a group of my friends are planning on cruising next year because we will all be turning 50. One of the ladies has never cruised, so she said she wanted to go for a week instead of a shorter cruise. A couple of us work in schools, so summer of 2013 will be the easiest time to go.

Having heard all of that, we live on the east coast and we would like to go to the caribbean and cost is an issue. Any suggestions on what boat and itinerary we should pursue?

Thanks for all of your help!

A week is about perfect, especially if you'll have to fly to port....it's simply not worth the airfair for shorter cruises.

We prefer the E. Carib....just much prettier, IMO....Any of the cruiselines will give you a great time!

From what I can see of what's listed a Carnival cruise out of Florida in August, which is the begining of hurricane season, is going to be the cheapest & most likely will have the best deals on airfare. There are some really cheap cruises out of San Juan at the same time but air tends to be very expensive.

Thanks for all the replies. I have cruised on RCCL Emperor of the Seas years ago out of San Juan and it was a great cruise. I also cruised out of Port Canaveral on Carnival Glory. Once again, a great cruise. I know the airfare is more to San Juan, but I like the itinerary on the Valor. Has anyone taken a cruise from there on the Valor? Thanks again.

A woman I worked with cruised Valor and loved it....

We are sailing on HAL Veendam to Bermuda in July- I don't know where you live, but if you are in the Northeast the savings on air fare might make that a good option for you.

My sister went out of Baltimore to Bermuda and loved it as well. We have actually decided on taking a shorter cruise in the winter because of cost.

One of the ladies lives in Tampa, so we were thinking about taking the 4 night Carnival Paradise to Cozumel in February (President's Day weekend).

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Since it's a short cruise during a week when a lot of kids are on break, the cruise may have a lot of children and young people on it, which may or may not be to your liking. Those cruises also tend to attract the party hearty crowd.

Roz

One of the ladies lives in Tampa, so we were thinking about taking the 4 night Carnival Paradise to Cozumel in February (President's Day weekend).

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

Agree, this will be a party cruise with lots of spring breakers. Probably you would be better off choosing another cruise.

From what I can see of what's listed a Carnival cruise out of Florida in August, which is the begining of hurricane season, is going to be the cheapest & most likely will have the best deals on airfare. There are some really cheap cruises out of San Juan at the same time but air tends to be very expensive.

Just a quick correction - Hurricane season is May through November.

Unfortunately, a couple of us work in schools, so when the kids have off is when we have off as well. We are trying to decide between the 4 night cruise out of Tampa on the Carnival Paradise or the 4 night cruise out of Miami on the Carnival Victory. The first one stops at Cozumel, while the second one stops at Key West and Cozumel. Any preferences on those two? Thanks!

Archived