The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

Again, all these points are a non-issue for me. The people had freakin' tobacco, had a test to PROVE it was tobacco, the SHIP security returned their tobacco to them, and they had every right to re-board that ship and enjoy themselves WITH their perfectly legal tobacco. RCI is wrong.

Please read all posts before making statements already refuted.

We do not know if it was tobacco .. there is no test to prove it was tobacoo .. and OP's husband already admitted it was not normal tobacco.

Also, RCI conducted their own test which indicated a potential illegal substance. Police test only proved it was not marijuana. Could not rule out dozens of other illegal substances.

I couldn't read your entire post because I couldn't get past this first sentence. You have so way of knowing they had "perfectly legal substance." No one does.

Accept that the article clearly states that the Port Authority determined that it was TOBACCO and returned their TOBACCO to them. Tobacco is legal. This is confirmed by the Port Authority and ship officers who were present. You should have read more.

Technically, it was Hookah Herb, which isn't a TOBACCO product, but is used in a like manner. It's just an herb that you smoke. It's also PERFECTLY LEGAL. And again, if it's legal, there should be ZERO problem!

Why can't we all just agree that we don't know all the facts?

Because it would be easier to get a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it would to get everyone on this forum to agree on something :p

LOL

wont ever happen

i.e. the phone call....I specifically asked about the "substance" and he said he could only say a "questionable substance".

I take it from him though, that the Captain had just what he needed in the way of what it was. I am betting that it was something like what Paul said....I don't want to quote it all here. Synthetic cannabis...I am among those who never knew that existed. Since I don't plan on running for public office, I will say I do know what the real thing looks like, smells like and tastes like:D College!:o

The main reason I was concerned about our cruise was that it looked like some security person was responsible for singling out a couple and causing irreparable harm to them over an assumption. But since the phone call and Cruise Critic's article, evidently I put too much into the OP's account. I do still worry that we might run into that person. I already have issues with TSA and the people they employ and have witnessed stuff in airports. To me, it is concerning, although I don't smuggle anything, But that doesn't make me less afraid that someone like that could cause trouble for us for no good reason over something trivial like a bottle full of different pills or something.

Youll be all good in 199 days... :)

RCI's test supposedly did test positive for some form of illegal substance.

Really?

That is news to me that it was tested and it was an illegal substance.

I change everything I have posted. This being the case, the OP and Hubby should have not only been thrown off the ship, they should also have been put in jail.

Thanks for providing that info on the illegal substance.

Really?

I change everything I have posted. This being the case, the OP and Hubby should have not only been thrown off the ship, they should also have been put in jail.

But, what she didn't tell you is that the Port Authority says that isn't true. Every test the PA ran showed that this was a legal substance in every way. RCI also lied and said that they "destroyed" it. The Port Authority, once again, refuted that statement and openly says that's a lie, as do the passengers. The substance was returned to them by the ship's security because it was proven to be perfectly LEGAL.

Just in case some of you haven't read the article in a while, it has an update to it now. That could be where I'm disagreeing with most of you. The update clearly shows the PA refuting some of RCI's statements and proves them to be lying to claim these people broke the contract. They did NOT and RCI is scrambling to figure out what to do.

I am glad you have the time to read all 50 pages. :rolleyes:
If I had to so should you:p

It was like a car wreck once you see it you had to keep on looking:eek:

Really?

Sorry .. "Controlled substance"

Wow...I'm beginning to think maybe we're reading different articles. The articles does NOT say it was a CONTROLLED substance. This is a direct quote:

Port officials agree that the contraband was tobacco and not an illegal substance. Port Canaveral spokeswoman Rosalind Harvey tells Cruise Critic that the test, which she also says was witnessed by officers, came up negative. "What appeared to be a typical baggy of cannabis and a chamber-type pipe turned out to be Hookah herb," explained Harvey in an e-mail.

The first line says that the Port officials agree with the PASSENGERS. It was TOBACCO, although technically is was hookah herb which doesn't contain tobacco. PC's spokewoman clearly has the tests results, and report with her so I'd think she'd know. RCI lied...not the passengers.

PC Police says the substance was not illegal. RCI says it was.

PC Police says the substance was returned to the owner. RCI says it was not.

Still not sure what (whom) to believe.:confused:

I don't always agree with your posts, but this one I do. There is no police report, nor RCI report, so we just don't know.

PC Police says the substance was not illegal. RCI says it was.

PC Police says the substance was returned to the owner. RCI says it was not.

Still not sure what (whom) to believe.:confused:

Why does everyone keep saying it was not illegal .. they only tested for THC .. no test for dozens of other synthetic drugs.

Two facts:

1. They can't prove it was legal or illegal

2. There is no test to prove it is tobacco

Please search and read Aquahound's posts to this thread for explanation from an expert in the field.

But, what she didn't tell you is that the Port Authority says that isn't true. Every test the PA ran showed that this was a legal substance in every way. RCI also lied and said that they "destroyed" it. The Port Authority, once again, refuted that statement and openly says that's a lie, as do the passengers. The substance was returned to them by the ship's security because it was proven to be perfectly LEGAL.

But things have changed dramatically now. It is now stated that RCI tested the material and those tests show it to be an illegal something or other. Wondering what that illegal something or other was.

Certainly RCI drug testing is more thorough and better than that of some port authority law enforcement entity, wouldn't you agree?

Last time I checked, LACK OF COMMON SENSE is not a violation of anyone's policy.:rolleyes:

If that were the case we would also have to empty the White House.:p

Apparently there was NO violation of anyone's policy, simply a lot of opinions.

I smell free trips. I smell a smelly lawyer getting free trips.:eek:

Why does everyone keep saying it was not illegal .. they only tested for THC .. no test for dozens of other synthetic drugs.

Two facts:

1. They can't prove it was legal or illegal

2. There is no test to prove it is tobacco

Please search and read Aquahound's posts to this thread for explanation from an expert in the field.

Because the direct quote from the Port Authority, and therefore the only people that matter, is this:

Port officials agree that the contraband was tobacco and not an illegal substance. (it was actually hookah herb, but again, the PA fully agreed it was NOT illegal) And yes, there most certainly were tests per both RCI and the PA, regardless of what Aquahound says.

Last time I checked, LACK OF COMMON SENSE is not a violation of anyone's policy.:rolleyes:

If that were the case we would also have to empty the White House.:p

Apparently there was NO violation of anyone's policy, simply a lot of opinions.

I smell free trips. I smell a smelly lawyer getting free trips.:eek:

Suspicious activity is listed as policy in conjunction with a test by RCI that indicated a "controlled substance".

Because the direct quote from the Port Authority, and therefore the only people that matter, is this:

Port officials agree that the contraband was tobacco and not an illegal substance. (it was actually hookah herb, but again, the PA fully agreed it was NOT illegal) And yes, there most certainly were tests per both RCI and the PA, regardless of what Aquahound says.

You mean the same PA that the original OP said was the reason behind all of this? You know, the one that was looking for their "bonus" money for making a bust??:rolleyes:

But things have changed dramatically now. It is now stated that RCI tested the material and those tests show it to be an illegal something or other. Wondering what that illegal something or other was.

Certainly RCI drug testing is more thorough and better than that of some port authority law enforcement entity, wouldn't you agree?

No I most certainly would not agree that the "rent a cop" types on RCCL are more thorough or better trained then the port authority trained officers.

Archived