The other side of the Freedom/tobacco story

The substance was proven to be legal while the ship was still docked, with multiple witnesses, based on the direct quotes from the PA.

No, it wasn't EVER proven to be legal. As aquahound and others have pointed out, there's no quick test for that. The direct quotation from the PA was that it tested negative for THC. She did then state that it was Hookah Herb, but since there's no quick test to prove that, she might well have just been relaying what the couple told her.

As for what RCI said, unless there are other statements out there, the ONLY quotation we have is that the substance was "taken by law enforcement to be destroyed". That is NOT the same as saying that it WAS destroyed, either by RCI or law enforcement.

I would still like to know whether the couple did and said anything during the encounter that might have convinced the captain that denying them boarding was the right thing to do. They would have been understandably upset but I wonder if either or both of them did or said anything like the dad mentioned earlier who started arguing with security and was tossed at the next port. I doubt we'll ever find out, though, just as we'll never know if things might have been different if this hadn't occurred so close to departure time.

The original thread was locked at the request of the OP. She posted towards the end of the thread that she had sent a request and was waiting for a reply.

This thread, well, that is a completely different animal.:rolleyes::cool:

This thread will soon be locked. It has now gone in the same circle ten times. Each time a new group posts about how RCI was wrong we start a new circle. ;)

No, I have no problem with them being tested or screened and even stated that I understand the concern. However, once it was proven to not be an illegal substance the issue should have been dropped. Not illegal is still not illegal, whether you like how they packaged the very legal contraband or not. If it's legal, it's legal and no one....you, me, the Captain...should have had the right to remove the from the ship for not doing anything wrong. There's no question they should have been searched...and then been allowed to return to their room to enjoy their cruise and rethink packaging ideas for their next one!

And that is a lot of the dilemma here right now.. No one knows what or why the capt made the decision he did. A lot of speculation on it yes. Much of it based on his right as captain to deny boarding per RCCL contract and i'm sure years of being a captain and seeing many similar incidents. JMO

Spice/K2, and countless other brands of synthetic cannabis.

It is a major problem in the US right now.

Yes it is a major problem right now. Possession of ANY amount here in Ga is now a felony. Anything under and ounce of marijuana is only a misdemeanor.

Im still gonna have to be proven to that spice/k2 is in fact what the couple had in their possession before I believe it though.

I guess some will say Im emotionally attached because I talked to the lady a bunch in my roll call thread for months and she seemed like a very nice and sweet person that was very much looking forward to her cruise. I dont care though. It just all smells very fishy to me from both sides.

Yup booze smugglars are subject to denial of passage at the discretion of the Captain. Just because it is rarely done doesn't say it isn't a tool at the disposal of the Captain.

Just curious. Has it EVER been done?

Spice/K2, and countless other brands of synthetic cannabis.

It is a major problem in the US right now.

But, based on the direct quote from the port authority rep., they are calling it tobacco/hookah herb openly to the press. Do you really think they would do that if there's any chance this stuff was anything other than what the Port Authority says it was?

RCI has already been proven to be willing to lie in this case, whereas the OP simply chose to omit how they packaged the tobacco/herb. As I've stated, in the real world, I can understand why they would do so. Even in this thread, people are willing to hang them because of how they packaged something that the PA is saying was perfectly legal. People are even acting like they should have been kicked off for no other reason than how they packed this stuff! They made a bad packing decision, that doesn't make them wrong for packing this tobacco/herb. And based on what the Port Authority is saying, it really wasn't anything illegal. Have you seen the update on the article?

If they are innocent, why hide it in the first place?

Exactly.... How dumb!!!! I don't think they should get their money back... They obviously knew it was a risk or they wouldn't have hid it in the first place. They know weed is illegal so why would you hide something that looks just like it and risk being caught.

Im still gonna have to be proven to that spice/k2 is in fact what the couple had in their possession before I believe it though.

We will never know since it was given back or disposed of .. unless the original OP or her husband make a confession

No, it wasn't EVER proven to be legal. As aquahound and others have pointed out, there's no quick test for that. The direct quotation from the PA was that it tested negative for THC. She did then state that it was Hookah Herb, but since there's no quick test to prove that, she might well have just been relaying what the couple told her.

As for what RCI said, unless there are other statements out there, the ONLY quotation we have is that the substance was "taken by law enforcement to be destroyed". That is NOT the same as saying that it WAS destroyed, either by RCI or law enforcement.

I would still like to know whether the couple did and said anything during the encounter that might have convinced the captain that denying them boarding was the right thing to do. They would have been understandably upset but I wonder if either or both of them did or said anything like the dad mentioned earlier who started arguing with security and was tossed at the next port. I doubt we'll ever find out, though, just as we'll never know if things might have been different if this hadn't occurred so close to departure time.

So when I pack my Benadryl in my travel cup (so unconventional) I should be ware that people will not only make sure that it is in fact Benadryl, and now I have to PROVE that it is, and I have to PROVE that I have no other intentions of doing something wrong. I thought I lived in America, and that Hitler was dead.

Exactly.... How dumb!!!! I don't think they should get their money back... They obviously knew it was a risk or they wouldn't have hid it in the first place. They know weed is illegal so why would you hide something that looks just like it and risk being caught.

They rolled the dice and LOST. No wonder she stated they remained calm throught the whole ordeal .. they knew they were busted .. then trying to avoid the potential of being arrested.

So when I pack my Benadryl in my travel cup (so unconventional) I should be ware that people will not only make sure that it is fact Benadryl, and now I have to PROVE that it is, and I have to PROVE that I have no other intentions of doing something wrong. I thought I lived in America, and that Hitler was dead.

Diphenhydramine isnt illegal

So when I pack my Benadryl in my travel cup (so unconventional) I should be ware that people will not only make sure that it is fact Benadryl, and now I have to PROVE that it is, and I have to PROVE that I have no other intentions of doing something wrong. I thought I lived in America, and that Hitler was dead.

Benadryl is over the counter and each pill is clearly marked with a code, it will not be an issue.

But, based on the direct quote from the port authority rep., they are calling it tobacco/hookah herb openly to the press. Do you really think they would do that if there's any chance this stuff was anything other than what the Port Authority says it was??

They should not have done that. I am a subject matter expert in this field and I have no idea how they would know it is hookah herb, unless they are just going by what Robert told them. The wife specifically said they did not have the original packaging and I know there is no test for hookah herb. If they actually know it was hookah herb, then that proves there is more to this story we do not know.

And that is a lot of the dilemma here right now.. No one knows what or why the capt made the decision he did. A lot of speculation on it yes. Much of it based on his right as captain to deny boarding per RCCL contract and i'm sure years of being a captain and seeing many similar incidents. JMO

I thought about that and agree with you. I'm sure he made the decision because of many others that were hiding something illegal. However, this couple wasn't (based on what the PA is saying and I have no reason to believe they would lie...what do they have to lose/gain, ya know?) carrying anything illegal. I'm still a big believer in every individual should be judged based on their OWN merit and every case should be handled based on it's merit. I get why she omitted their really stupid packing decisions. Who wants to look like a moron?

I don't think stupid is a crime and I don't think bad decision making is a crime. We've ALL been there. My basic feeling is that I think RCI handled this very poorly and if you didn't break the contract and you didn't do anything illegal you don't deserve to be treated as though you did.

We will never know since it was given back or disposed of .. unless the original OP or her husband make a confession

And because of this and the fact that it wasn't completely tested for every possible item, the original OP and her husband will loose the case. The Captain had grounds to suspect the stuff and chose to deny boarding because of safety and health concerns of the other 4000 people on the ship. Oh that, and the fact that she lied on a public forum.

They rolled the dice and LOST. No wonder she stated they remained calm throught the whole ordeal .. they knew they were busted .. then trying to avoid the potential of being arrested.

Busted for WHAT? Packing badly? Making a poor packing decision? I can't believe there are actually people who think that others should lose a 3000.00 dollar vacation because they made a stupid packing decision and there's no proof of any kind this was anything other than what the passengers said it was. They ran tests and gave the stuff back to them. They weren't busted for anything.

Benadryl is over the counter and each pill is clearly marked with a code, it will not be an issue.

But unless security has a PDR they wouldnt know an asprin from a lemondrop;):D

And because of this and the fact that it wasn't completely tested for every possible item, the original OP an her husband will loose the case. The Captain had grounds to suspect the stuff and chose to deny boarding because of safety and health concerns of the other 4000 people on the ship. Oh that, and the fact that she lied on a public forum.
c

I want to agree with you and I do in some form. I want my captain to look out for my best intrests and yours as well. Just feeling that this whole situation is overeaching.

Archived