Press Release-New Suite amenities

dkjretired

Hi Tom,

Will be on the infinity on June 1st in a Celebrity Suite. Could you find out if the new suite amenities will be available by then?

Thank you!

I posted this on another thread before I knew that this one had been started:

As far as I can see, other than the continuing ambiguity about complimentary speciality dinning [currently being discussed on another thread], the only really "new" amenity listed is the reserved theatre seating [not of interest to us as we have never been to a show on board], iPod/iPad docking station [for M-class ships - I thought that they already had these on S-class ships] and a different brand of toiletries.

The bedding programme was announced prior to Infinity completing her dry-dock.

The confirmation of a sparkling wine rather than the champagne that was often provided is, IMHO, a reduction in the quality of the amenity. Although the champagne was sometimes drinkable, we have had to pour the Blanc de Blanc sparkling wine down the drain on more than one ocassion.

Sue

If you'd paid up to £14000 for a cruise wouldn't you be a tad miffed if the theatre was full when you arrived? Most suite passengers are elite members anyway, so the argument that elites aren't offered equal status as suites doesn't stand. I say bring in reserved sunbathing areas as on RCI as well. It's not a separate class system, it's looking after those customers who have paid many times more for the same cruise as others.

:D:D:D Gonzo, that's a GOOD plan !!! TexEd would also ''propose'' q-jumping in the waffles line in the morning as an added perk...:) Cheers

Do you think those "mean" folks in the suites would jump ahead of me for waffles? :cool:

What they pay for is a better stateroom, better amenities, and a butler. I can understand that with their more expensive stateroom they get more space, larger balconies, better furniture, better bedding, etc. What they shouldn't be getting is something that is taken away from the rest of us to they can have it. Once those of us in the "cheap" rooms are pushed aside so the those in the expensive rooms can be given the space instead, it starts to look too much like a class system. Just like buying a more expensive car doesn't mean you get to move to the front of the line in traffic, suite guests shouldn't get to move to the front of the line in the theater.

I have always believed that outside our rooms we were all equals on a cruise ship. Apparently, that is no longer the case.

Based upon the turn these comments are taking, you would think Celebrity is running a Presidential election. That said, I guess it's good to be be part of the 1%(Suite Guests). Maybe they should impose a 5% surcharge on suite guests or a seat license fee for this new perk, I mean after all does a reserved seat or Bulgari Bits(what are they BTW?) change your life one way or the other? Just kidding about the seat license fee(with Celebrity bookings down, you never know) This is a vacation, enjoy the cruise regardless of your cabin class, the experience is what you make of it.. Fyi, we do not stay in Suites

:)

No need to jump the waffle line. We'll just ask the butler to get it :D.

The key to the waffles is to wait and get them when they come off the grill and not the ones that are in the tray. I would guess most butlers will take the ones out of the tray...

I don't think this is only for first time suite guests. You can get a suite as well and get the same benefits. If I'm reading it right.

Tom

So someone sailing Celebrity for the first and maybe only time will get reserved theatre seating while my 20 plus credits and climbing mean I get to stand? It use to mean something to be elite but now it feels different. Come on Celbrity get with it and have an elite plus.:rolleyes:

I posted this on another thread before I knew that this one had been started:

As far as I can see, other than the continuing ambiguity about complimentary speciality dinning [currently being discussed on another thread], the only really "new" amenity listed is the reserved theatre seating [not of interest to us as we have never been to a show on board], iPod/iPad docking station [for M-class ships - I thought that they already had these on S-class ships] and a different brand of toiletries.

The bedding programme was announced prior to Infinity completing her dry-dock.

The confirmation of a sparkling wine rather than the champagne that was often provided is, IMHO, a reduction in the quality of the amenity. Although the champagne was sometimes drinkable, we have had to pour the Blanc de Blanc sparkling wine down the drain on more than one ocassion.

Sue

The bedding program was only on the M class ships as they did their S class makeover.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/tabLanding.do?pagename=footer_pages_about_celebrity#footer_pages_about_celebrity_press_room_tab/aboutceleb/pressRoomDetails.do%3Fevent_date=2011-11-10&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A&pageNumber=6

When you pay what suite guest pays you will understand. Oh and get to the theater five minutes early and you won't have to stand. :)

I agree with the standing comment, but not the first one. One of the joys of cruising in modern times has been the feeling that whether you stay in a suite, balcony, or inside cabin, you are still free to enjoy the same access and service as anyone else. This is starting to change more and more and since 90% of the cruiseship is non-suite guests (or whatever the exact, high, percentage is), these changes affect many, many more people. It is one thing to add perks that make the suite life nicer that do not take away from other cruisers. Someone who pays considerably more should get what they are paying for (and keep in mind, with the much larger cabins and all the other perks they already are!). When you start adding perks that take away things from the vast majority, I don't like it. This trend of extras not available to everyone is not a good one for the vast majority of cruisers. Another recent example is the Blu dining room. What does it take away from the average cruiser? Space on the ship that could be used for the benefit of all. Give suite guests specialty dinners, better wine, whatever. But don't take away from me to do it! These changes mean I am now getting less for what I pay.

I agree with the standing comment, but not the first one. One of the joys of cruising in modern times has been the feeling that whether you stay in a suite, balcony, or inside cabin, you are still free to enjoy the same access and service as anyone else. This is starting to change more and more and since 90% of the cruiseship is non-suite guests (or whatever the exact, high, percentage is), these changes affect many, many more people. It is one thing to add perks that make the suite life nicer that do not take away from other cruisers. Someone who pays considerably more should get what they are paying for (and keep in mind, with the much larger cabins and all the other perks they already are!). When you start adding perks that take away things from the vast majority, I don't like it. This trend of extras not available to everyone is not a good one for the vast majority of cruisers. Another recent example is the Blu dining room. What does it take away from the average cruiser? Space on the ship that could be used for the benefit of all. Give suite guests specialty dinners, better wine, whatever. But don't take away from me to do it! These changes mean I am now getting less for what I pay.

I guess I don't understand your thesis that Blu or reserved seating in the theater are taking things away from you. If the people weren't eating in Blu, they would be eating somewhere else on the ship. Everyone has to eat some place. Same with the theater. They would need seats there as well. So I don't see that you are getting less for what you pay. You still get a seat in the MDR. Reserved for you. You can still get a seat in the theater.

I guess I don't understand your thesis that Blu or reserved seating in the theater are taking things away from you. If the people weren't eating in Blu, they would be eating somewhere else on the ship. Everyone has to eat some place. Same with the theater. They would need seats there as well. So I don't see that you are getting less for what you pay. You still get a seat in the MDR. Reserved for you. You can still get a seat in the theater.

If AQ patrons were having their seats taken because they gave it to a suite patron, I could see a complaint but that is not the case. The theater is irrelevent to me, I don't want to sit up front and in the middle, you see more from further back.

The same equality argument could be made against Elite patrons who have their cocktail parties. I love the elite parties but if you're going to complain about suite patrons than complain also about Elite Patrons. Only playing devils advocate here.

I think the biggest change I have seen over the years on this board is now too many people go on their cruise to find things wrong. Just go and enjoy yourself.

The same equality argument could be made against Elite patrons who have their cocktail parties. I love the elite parties but if you're going to complain about suite patrons than complain also about Elite Patrons. Only playing devils advocate here.

Actually, not the same. Nothing is taken away from non-elite passengers during those parties. Now, if the cocktails were taken away from me so you could drink them, then that would be a similar situation. :D

My curiosity got the better of me. I had some free time waiting for a flight that was departing late, so I did a bit of research by looking up other posts made by various posters on this thread. My suspicions were validated.

The posters who don't think reserving seats in the theater is a problem typically book suites and benefit from this change, while the ones who are concerned about this trend - including myself - stay in the "poorer" sections of the ship and cannot enjoy this benefit. As in much of today's societal trends, the rich continue to get more, while the not so rich continue to get less and less.

Today, reserved seats in the theater. Perhaps next we'll see reserved areas near the pool and reserved dining tables near the windows for suite guests? Why stop with only the theater? On Celebrity's newest ship, the Reflection, about a third of the Sky Lounge space is being turned into high priced luxury suites with their own private hallway. Less space for us, more space for them.

Suite guests must be very pleased! :rolleyes:

Actually, not the same. Nothing is taken away from non-elite passengers during those parties. Now, if the cocktails were taken away from me so you could drink them, then that would be a similar situation. :D

In the theater they take away a couple of rows of seats, for the elite party they take away an entire lounge that others can't use. How many times have you seen people complain on this board about facilities being closed for special events. Exactly the same...

I've cruised in Suites...

I've cruised in Concierge Class cabins...

I've cruised in Verandah cabins...

I've cruised in Ocean Views...

...and I've cruised in inside cabins...

Every time I book a cruise, I take a look at the pricing and ask myself "What am I really getting for that extra price I am paying?"...

The funny part is, that when booking a Suite, it is fairly obvious...and it is NOT really the perks...A bottle of sparkling wine? Heck, I can purchase that for a lot less than the premium I am paying for a suite...

The reason for booking the suite is the SIZE of the suite and the amenities of the suite itself...This past August, I did a 16 night Europe cruise in a 1,000+ square foot Oceania Suite on the Oceania Marina. It was incredible--two bathrooms, a Video room, a large walk-in closet, a living room, a dining room, a private jacuzzi on the large balcony with a big screen TV above the jacuzzi! Oceania didn't give me reserved seats at the show...They did give me access to a Concierge Lounge...but, who cares--my cabin was much nicer than the lounge!

But, if I am going to pay for a Suite, to ME, the value has to be in the suite itself...

I understand what Celebrity is trying to do...They charge such a premium for the suites, they feel they need to make the Suite customer feel like he is getting so much more...Of course, a bottle of sparkling Blanc de Blanc and a reserved section of seats at the isn't all that much...EXCEPT that the Suite customer is already getting a whole lot more--exactly what he's paying for--a much larger cabin with many more amenities...

The rest of us are getting standard issue 170-195 square foot cabins with a small bathroom and minimal closet space...the only three real differences are...No Window---Window---Balcony...

So, the REAL question...and where Celebrity REALLY falls short in justifying the price differences is in differentiating "ordinary" verandah cabins from "Concierge Class" verandah cabins...

Okay, to set this up on a personal level, for a number of reasons, I am cruising to Iceland/Norway on Eclipse this July in a CONCIERGE CLASS cabin...I probably should have just taken an ordinary Verandah and saved over $1000...but, without getting into it too much here, there were some fairly borderline reasons why we went with the Concierge...This is actually the second time we'll be in Concierge...

So...What does one get for booking a Concierge cabin...and paying over $1,000 more?

The cabin is IDENTICAL to the standard verandahs...(It's not like being in a suite and getting all of that extra space and even extra rooms)...

The added amenities are:

· Priority check-in --Since I am an Elite Captains Club member, I get this anyway…

· Priority disembarkation --Since I am an Elite Captains Club member, I get this anyway…

· Personalized Concierge service –I seem to get similar service whichever cabin I’m booked in

· Evening delivery of hors d'oeuvres …Like we can’t find free food all over the ship…

· Complimentary shoeshine service …I only bring suede loafers…I’m on a cruise…

· Express luggage delivery –Ummm…last time, my bags were delivered like everyone else’s—after a wait…

· Main and specialty restaurant seating time preferences –I am already booked into Select Dining, what do “preferences” really mean?

· Upgraded room service menu –You mean the OTHER cabins get downgraded room service? I seem to remember being able to order the same room service everywhere…

· Complimentary welcome sparkling wine –yup, well worth that extra $1,100…

· Fresh fruit …Like we can’t find free food all over the ship…

· Fresh flowers –Important…sure…

· Plush Frette® bathrobes –Don’t we always get bathrobes?

· Oversized 100% cotton bath towels –As opposed to paper towels? Air dry?

· Pillow menu –Great…I really only need one pillow.

· Handheld hair dryer –Don’t ALL the cabins have hair dryers?

· Celebrity tote bag –Is this really just a Concierge amenity? Why do I have a couple of dozen of these at home?

· Personalized stationery—For those letters I’m writing in this age of Email?

· Use of binoculars and golf umbrella—Really?

· Hansgrohe® massaging showerhead –The standard showers don’t have showerheads?

When it really comes down to it, it's just a whole bunch of trivial "extras"...

Oh, yeah, one other thing...You get an extra point credit toward "Elite" Captains Club status. Of course, for those of us already at Elite, this is meaningless. As an aside, I would propose one thing in that regard to the powers that be at Royal Caribbean...That, in addition to the current "Reciprocity" thing, they at least grant "Diamond Plus" status to those with 25 Captains Club "credits". If you're going to afford top Captains Club status to RCCL cruisers with Diamond Status on Crown and Anchor, you should at least make Diamond Plus available to equal level Captains Club members when cruising on Royal Caribbean...

So, forget the Suite passengers...What Celebrity REALLY should be doing is looking for a way to justify the added fare for Concierge Class...

Right now, it's $1,100 for a bottle of sparkling wine, some fruit and flowers in the room and a nicer showerhead...

Yeah, I know--So why am I paying it?

Trust me, it's not always that easy...

Great post Steve, the one perk that they supposedly get is the main and specialty dining preferences. This comes up all the time and so far from what I have seen no one has every said they have taken advantage of this or even knew what it was.

I am not a fan of conceriege because I agree, most of these things are really superficial and many are available to everyone else. The only difference I see is the CC cabins on the M class ships and Century that actually give you more room and bigger verandas.

Really good point. On our recent Silhouette cruise my wife and I were sitting at the great Elite lounge and thought that if we were not Elite level we would not be able to enjoy a before dinner drink at our favorite lounge with the best view. We were happy to be Elite at that point, but thought it sad that the bar wouldn't be available. Of course, it seemed like everyone on the ship was Elite so they were all there anyway :rolleyes: I know they weren't, but there were a lot of us.

Tom

Archived