Little French Key?

Messunderstood

If we go with the $55 option, will we be missing much? I know food isn't included, but is it worth the $33/pp upgrade?

- We'll obviously have to eat sometime while we're there, but $88/pp just seems high. What are our food options with the 55/pp ticket?

- We'll have our own snorkel gear, so is the snorkeling very good without the tour?

- What's the story on the zoo? I remember reading something about the animals there being rescue animals or something? Any more info on that?

If we go with the $55 option, will we be missing much? I know food isn't included, but is it worth the $33/pp upgrade?

- We'll obviously have to eat sometime while we're there, but $88/pp just seems high. What are our food options with the 55/pp ticket?

- We'll have our own snorkel gear, so is the snorkeling very good without the tour?

- What's the story on the zoo? I remember reading something about the animals there being rescue animals or something? Any more info on that?

I think only you can answer your first question - the meal we had was a mixed grill consisting of a small lobster tail, bbq chicken breast,,steak, cole slaw salad, some plantain chips and 2 drinks. I believe you can always buy your own drinks, but I don't think they have an ala carte food menu.

The snorkeling in the swim/beach area would be poor; for the extra $10 you get a guided tour in one of the best snorkel locations I've been to, and that includes Hawaii, Tahiti and most Caribbean Isles. I doubt you can access this snorkel area on your own.

LFK signage states they have "rescued" animals ranging from a small mini pony, white faced capuchin monkeys, parrots, toucans and some other birds, and 2 jaguars. You can take photos while you go from cage to cage, but can't feed, they are on special diets.

Incidentally, one of the nicest spots on the Cay is also the furthest away from the entrance. Go past the cages, walk towards the water, and there is a "keyhole" beach with lounges that has an excellent view. Most people congregated near the bar and the dive areas.

Here's my two cents from our 2012 trip.

The food not worth extra money. I usually eat a substantial enough breakfast, that skipping lunch is not a hardship.

The snorkel boat ride worth the money. You could probably paddle out in a kayak or swim the distance, but worth the $10 cost in my opinion.

Even though it's an awesome location/setup, I may or may not ever be back. We like the digs, but we have to ramp up from $55 base fee to $88 to get the non-motorized water equipment included. I find that exorbitant.

This may have been mentioned previously and if so, I apologize, but I just found out that you can book LFK through Carnivals excursion. In my opinion this is not good cause more people would go then. Some family of ours is sailing this Sun and they just booked it yesterday. So it must be new.

We don't want too many people knowing about this place!! ;)

This may have been mentioned previously and if so, I apologize, but I just found out that you can book LFK through Carnivals excursion. In my opinion this is not good cause more people would go then. Some family of ours is sailing this Sun and they just booked it yesterday. So it must be new.

Wow, I can't believe it. I had to go look at the excursion on Carnivals site...and there it was. :( Did you read some of the comments? I almost can't believe it's the same place. People put on a school bus jam packed full (instead of a private vehicle like ours), give a tour and "speach" they didn't want to hear, shown "their" beach (which wasn't the same area we were) and couldn't find their way around??? Really? You need a tour guide to show you around a small island that when you are at one beach you can see the other 2 beaches and you don't have the sense to move to a different spot if you don't like where you are at? They only got to hold a red faced monkey?? There's a cage full of monkeys you can go into and hold several. People are mentioning they got a "snack" or brown bag lunch. Definitely not what we got. They also mentioned that they wished the kayaks were included in the price?

To me, it sounds like they have made a deal with Carnival for only 1/2 of what they actually offer to do it on your own (and probably charge 2x's the amount). That's sad.

I really hope they don't stop offering this place to book on your own. That would be tragic. I especially hope they don't let Carnival take over like Carnival has with various places (such as Chankanaab) with an exclusive booking offer only. :mad:

Absolutely. We look for places specifically away from the crowded ship's excursions. :(

…..as a private destination I can handle the $88 BUT, my question now, to those who have gone to LFK, just how much area is there to share? If carnival herds their busload to this little island is it going to be too crowded to enjoy? I am beginning to think $88 per person is too much too share the island with the rest of the ship!

…..as a private destination I can handle the $88 BUT, my question now, to those who have gone to LFK, just how much area is there to share? If carnival herds their busload to this little island is it going to be too crowded to enjoy? I am beginning to think $88 per person is too much too share the island with the rest of the ship!

This is also my concern. I've reserved our spot there through LFK and found out about Carnival doing an excursion there a couple of days ago. Really don't want the "private" island to be not so private!

let us know please how it is with Carnival being there too. I did talk to them via e-mail and supposedly the Carnival excursion is only 3 hours and they get a fruit punch drink. We asked if we could do an extended snorkeling adventure while they are there too. I sure hope it isn't too crowded because we wanted to go visit after all the reviews that we have read.

We unfortunately haven't been to LFK. We were booked to go in November through LFK. Our port was canceled due to bad windy weather. As a matter of fact, two of our ports were canceled. SO disappointed that we didn't make it to LFK. At that time I was not aware that cruise lines were able to book with them.

But I just referred some family to LFK and they will be there this week. Originally (after I told them about this place and they looked into it) wound up booking their excursion with Carnival. After I shared a couple of the post on here, they then canceled with Carnival and booked with LFK. But my concern is that since cruise lines are now able to book excursions here, will it be the same?

Perhaps we need to send emails to LFK voicing our concerns.

It's $20 per person round trip. I was told that is the same price the taxi charges.

I will know more information for you when we return. We will be there the 27th.

They have 2 prices $18 and $45. I found the infromation on their website and I emailed them. The $45 is going to include lunch.

I know about the island time is 1 hour different, so we will be careful.

He there, where did you get those rates? When I went on the website the cheapest price I saw was $55 per person for:

1) Entrance to the private Island and with use of the facility and visit to the zoo.

2) Round trip Transportation to and from Little French Key.

The next package shows $88 per person for:

1. Entrance and a comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

2. Great and delicious Fresh island Style Lunch served on the private island, which includes Brochettes of Fillet Mignon, Lobster, Shrimp, marinated Chicken Breast, fresh homemade Yucca Chips, fresh homemade Salsa, Rice and Beans and Island Salad

3. 2 drinks of your choice

4. Use of all our facilities and all non-motorized equipment such as snorkeling equipment, Kayaks, water beds, water chairs, chaise lounges, etc……

5. Guided Tour of our Private Zoo with friendly and tamed Monkeys, Macaws Parrots, Toucan and Jaguar Cubs, Island Rabbit and Island Deer.

6. Round trip transportation to and from our facilities.

I like your rates better!!! ;0). Let me know!! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

He there, where did you get those rates? When I went on the website the cheapest price I saw was $55 per person for:

1) Entrance to the private Island and with use of the facility and visit to the zoo.

2) Round trip Transportation to and from Little French Key.

The next package shows $88 per person for:

1. Entrance and a comfortable boat ride to Little French Key Private Island

2. Great and delicious Fresh island Style Lunch served on the private island, which includes Brochettes of Fillet Mignon, Lobster, Shrimp, marinated Chicken Breast, fresh homemade Yucca Chips, fresh homemade Salsa, Rice and Beans and Island Salad

3. 2 drinks of your choice

4. Use of all our facilities and all non-motorized equipment such as snorkeling equipment, Kayaks, water beds, water chairs, chaise lounges, etc……

5. Guided Tour of our Private Zoo with friendly and tamed Monkeys, Macaws Parrots, Toucan and Jaguar Cubs, Island Rabbit and Island Deer.

6. Round trip transportation to and from our facilities.

I like your rates better!!! ;0). Let me know!! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That post is from 2012. When LFK first opened the rates were quite reasonable and escalated very quickly thereafter as they became more popular and the facilities developed.

This is also my concern. I've reserved our spot there through LFK and found out about Carnival doing an excursion there a couple of days ago. Really don't want the "private" island to be not so private!

I completely agree with everyone else's concern. I just checked out the Carnival site and discovered a few things: One, LFK is not a "highest rated" excursion yet, so maybe folks will pass it by. :rolleyes: Two, one reviewer said they were dumped off on a side of the island that did NOT appear like the website pics, looked like a man-made beach, and they were not told about the snorkeling add-on... or really anything. She said if they hadn't wandered around on their own, to find where the direct-booking folks were taken, they wouldn't have known about the beautiful side of the island. We've sailed on Carnival before, so I'm not saying it's right to treat folks like that (IF it's even true), but I agree that I'm concerned about the "party-boys" taking over my little piece of heaven. Maybe they'll figure out from the description this isn't an "island party" atmosphere, and not really what they're looking for. Three, hopefully, the owner will keep a tight reign on the number of folks allowed in a day. There weren't anywhere NEAR the limit there on our trip last year.

Folks who are soon to visit, PLEASE come back and share how it is. Thanks!!

Sherri

That post is from 2012. When LFK first opened the rates were quite reasonable and escalated very quickly thereafter as they became more popular and the facilities developed.

LOL. I did not notice that, thanks so much!!!

Hi Everyone,

I arranged for a group of 100 ppl to go to LFK on 2/19/14. Our friends were doing a vow renewal, so this excursion quickly grew from a mid size to large group. I worked directly with the owner, Larissa who was a pleasure. LFK is limited to 250 ppl and is truly big enough. Of our group, I don't remember seeing more then 20 ppl at any one time. That's how spread out it is. The CCL excursion is only 3 hours and I'd be surprised if she kept working with them. It doesn't seem like the type of place that would want to cater to CCL.

LFK is absolutely gorgeous. There's plenty of room for everyone. There's a platform 15 ft up that allows for ppl to take jumps off of if they're courageous enough:) I was NOT and didn't regret it :o The depth is also about 15 ft. There are chairs and another small bar up there also.

Larissa and her family live on LFK, so they take a lot of pride in the premises. I would go back again and this time maybe take the plunge...maybe...

On a side note...the LFK busses pick you up outside the cruise terminal. It can be a long walk if you're mobility impaired or really, really, out of shape and shleping your beach stuff. You'll make it, but I just wanted to warn you. Probably not a bad idea to leave the ship with some water. You won't regret this excursion!

Hi Everyone,

LFK is absolutely gorgeous. There's plenty of room for everyone. There's a platform 15 ft up that allows for ppl to take jumps off of if they're courageous enough:) I was NOT and didn't regret it :o The depth is also about 15 ft. There are chairs and another small bar up there also.

Larissa and her family live on LFK, so they take a lot of pride in the premises. I would go back again and this time maybe take the plunge...maybe...

On a side note...the LFK busses pick you up outside the cruise terminal. It can be a long walk if you're mobility impaired or really, really, out of shape and shleping your beach stuff. You'll make it, but I just wanted to warn you. Probably not a bad idea to leave the ship with some water. You won't regret this excursion!

Oh come on. You have to try. It's a lot of fun...ask my 4 year old daughter that jumped. :D

jump-5-L.jpg

I just wanted to add about the walk from the port to catch the taxis.

Once you walk out of the port, there are taxis right there and you can pay them $2 to ride you up and over the hill to the other taxi stand. So if you do have mobility issues (or don't like walking that far), there is another option. ;)

I would think it would plenty enough for a couple hundred people. There are 3 beach areas there and then there's the animals area and grounds. I wouldn't think everyone is going to be in the same place at the same time.

Yea I canceled my booking once I realized that they are now listed as a Carnival excursion. The secret getaway doesn't seem so secret anymore. No thanks. For the same price, I'm doing a private guided tour of Roatan and I can pick my own less crowded Beach

Yea I canceled my booking once I realized that they are now listed as a Carnival excursion. The secret getaway doesn't seem so secret anymore. No thanks. For the same price, I'm doing a private guided tour of Roatan and I can pick my own less crowded Beach

More room for me!