Summit deck 11 AQ aft balconies & SECRET PERKS !!!

MrJulius

Great pictures thanks so much. Did you have any of your meals in blu? Do you have any more pictures of your cabin? Does those stairs lead us right down to the bar if so I would think this is another perk of these cabins.

We ate in Blu every night except one. We went to Qsine that night. Blu is great !!! I'll start another thread for people afraid of Blu. ;)

Those stairs lead straight down to the bar. From 1138 it takes 22 seconds to reach the bar, traffic permitting. I clocked the wife on the way down more than once. A definite PERK :D

Here is the hallway from the outside door on deck 11 facing the door leading to the stairway to the Sunset Bar...

hallway.jpg

Here is the porthole on the door leading to the stairs...a good view even from here.

porthole.jpg

Will the Deck 11 balcony partitions open? Looks like they are solidly connected to the rail, but the inner section might?

The inner sections definitely open. There are hinges and a clip to keep it open. It's not huge but you can walk through there if needed.

Thank you for your info. We will be staying in 1138 in sept. Hope the loungers are still there. Just a question -are the rooms set up with storage above the bed and the closet next to it on the side? Great pictures. Can't wait.

No storage above the bed, but there is plenty of storage in the closet, in the drawers, in the swing out doors by the "makeup table", under the bed, etc. We had tons of crap and we weren't tripping over any of it.

Here is another trick. These sliding balcony doors are large, heavy, and slam shut with a thunderous crash. Any side to side motion will toss these doors back and forth. Imagine a side to side motion happening on an aft balcony. :rolleyes:

SOLUTION:

bungee.jpg

Bring a bungee cord. There is a strange object on the sliding door. It's like a knob but doesn't do anything that I could find. A half turn will bring the end of the knob out and you can affix your bungee cord to it and wrap it around the outside handle and back.

Works great. No more sliding door and no more loud bang. I wish others could have figured something out :)

MrJulius, thank you....thank you...thank you! My wife and I will be in 1138 on June 17th, and it's all I can do NOT to think about this cruise every waking moment (41 days and counting!):)! Seeing the pictures of the stateroom has me even more excited to set foot on the Summit. And the padded loungers....icing on the cake! Thanks a bunch for taking the time to write a review and take some awesome pictures!

Thanks,

I did this because I asked a ton of questions of others before our cruise and I thought I would pay it back to those wanting to know the same things that I did.

Good luck on the loungers !!! :)

I never touched it to see. But was impressed that there was a definite no-fog zone. We considered buying medicine cabinets for a bathroom remodel that had electric fog free mirrors in a bathroom remodel a few years back but found some "regular" ones that were about $1,500 less and decided to wipe the fog off manually.

I found an electric mirror heater for $3.00. You should have looked harder.

hairdryer.jpg

:D:D:D

Question: How does the stick-figure person stay so thin on a Celebrity cruise?! ;)

Actually that photo was taken on day one (San Juan, PR).

I did manage to get a pic of him in his aft cabin on day eight (Bayonne, NJ)

ssfatguy.jpg

Actually that photo was taken on day one (San Juan, PR).

I did manage to get a pic of him in his aft cabin on day eight (Bayonne, NJ)

ssfatguy.jpg

Mr Julius, your are really very clever and have made me laugh all day long on a Monday! Thanks for your great pics! I hope we hear from you again soon!:D

No storage above the bed, but there is plenty of storage in the closet, in the drawers, in the swing out doors by the "makeup table", under the bed, etc. We had tons of crap and we weren't tripping over any of it.

Thank you taking the time to answer. Glad to here they didn't fit the new cabins with the same layout as on the Silhoutte. Very little storage on in them.

Great report Mr. Julius. I would book 11 aft if I could get 1140 that's for sure. For now I will have to be satisfied with Deck 9 aqua. I'm still surprised they didn't put the same sinks in the new AQ as they have on the S class ships. Glad to see those wonderful shower heads tho...;)

Edited by librarylady19

Great report Mr. Julius. I would book 11 aft if I could get 1140 that's for sure. For now Illmhave to be satisfied with Deck 9 aqua. I'm still surprised they didn't put the same sinks in the new AQ as they have on the S class ships. Glad to see those wonderful shower heads tho...;)

We were in aft cabin 8185 during this cruise and never met but we have mutual friends...Tim and Ann! We have 1140 and 8185 reserved for next years April repo and are inclined to cancel 1140 for 8185 which we loved. Should we? Love the solitude of aft cabins but couldn't resist trying 1140 but having second thoughts. Don't want to hear the sound of plates or smell smoke. Whatta ya think?

We were in aft cabin 8185 during this cruise and never met but we have mutual friends...Tim and Ann! We have 1140 and 8185 reserved for next years April repo and are inclined to cancel 1140 for 8185 which we loved. Should we? Love the solitude of aft cabins but couldn't resist trying 1140 but having second thoughts. Don't want to hear the sound of plates or smell smoke. Whatta ya think?

Tim and Ann did mention that you got that cabin for next year. We had a great time with them. Lots of laughs.

I would imagine that the experience would be similar to what you had last week, with the exception of Blu. I never did eat in the MDR so I can't comment on it, but Blu was well worth the price of admission. I didn't think that I was a "Blu" kinda guy, and I loved it !

1140 is arguably the best AQ cabin on the ship, with 1138 in a very close second. :)

We never smelled any smoke of any kind, either from below or the stack. You will get an ambient sound from the bar below, which I actually enjoyed. It never got loud. I think that the canvas over the bar really muffles a lot of sound. The plate clanking thing is really a non issue. Whereas the guitar player and the steel drum player was a real benefit.

22 seconds down to the bar doesn't suck either. 23 seconds for 1140 due to the fact that the door is a few feet further down the hall than ours was.

The couple next to us in 1130 said that their cabin was the best that they ever had. That cabin probably has 1/5th the privacy as 1140.

I think that 1140, over time, will be THE cabin to grab and one of the first to go on any cruise due to the fact that it is AQ (Blu), probably the best AQ cabin, it's aft, it's new, and at a good price point.

I talked to the couple in that cabin and they booked it May, 2011 or thereabouts. I booked in September and 1140 was the ONLY deck 11 cabin booked at the time. This was sight unseen for all of us.

Considering that this cruise is so popular with repeat cruisers, I would imagine that there is a line of people salivating over your decision to keep 1140 or let it go.

I already have a Princess cruise booked for this time next year because of two ports that I really want to see, otherwise I would have told you that those aft cabins SUCK and to just let me know exactly when you were going to let 1140 go so that I could "laugh" at the poor sucker that was going to book it next....read -ME- :)

Good luck either way.

Mr Julius

I asked a question to you in the thread about whatever that is happening to Summit but I think it got lost. Thanks for this thread, with just over three weeks to go and a Deck 11 Aft room waiting for us, it has been very helpful to read your honest analysis of all you found out and what you enjoyed.

Belinda certainly did seem to make a good impression on you, does she service all the Deck 11 afts or is it as in some ships she does 50% and a colleage does the rest? Is she likely to have leave coming up soon, just wonder if you had any clues. These questions are all to help me understand, might we be lucky enough to have her looking after us soon

Thanks

Mr Julius

I asked a question to you in the thread about whatever that is happening to Summit but I think it got lost. Thanks for this thread, with just over three weeks to go and a Deck 11 Aft room waiting for us, it has been very helpful to read your honest analysis of all you found out and what you enjoyed.

Belinda certainly did seem to make a good impression on you, does she service all the Deck 11 afts or is it as in some ships she does 50% and a colleage does the rest? Is she likely to have leave coming up soon, just wonder if you had any clues. These questions are all to help me understand, might we be lucky enough to have her looking after us soon

Thanks

Sorry that I missed your other post. These boards do fly by at an unbelievable rate.

There were at least three stateroom attendants on deck 11 that I saw during the week. Belinda seemed to be the aft attendant. There are only five aft cabins and many more cabins on the port and starboard sides. I think that she does some of those as well because I did see her in some of those cabins, but never too far forward of the aft section.

I didn't ask her about her schedule so I can't help you with that.

I can say that in eight days, she only knocked on our door once to see if we had left for the day. It was a sea day, so there is no way that she could figure out our plans for the day. :)

Hope this helps.

I can say that in eight days, she only knocked on our door once to see if we had left for the day. It was a sea day, so there is no way that she could figure out our plans for the day. :)

Hope this helps.

Not always, but usually a couple leave the stateroom and head out together for breakfast or what not. Some attendants will stick a little piece of paper in the door jam. If they see that piece of paper on the deck, they assume that someone or both have left the stateroom, but they knock to make sure. :)

We have 1138 on June 10th so thank you thank you for the pictures and yep hope the lounger "perk" is still there! We also had these on the Millennium next year for 15 days but changed to AQ2's with large balconies for that trip due to thinking a quieter balcony (no one looking!) because of all the sea days...almost 1/2 of the trip. so we got 9038 for that trip.

Lou

Thanks so much for your review! We have 1140 booked for next Feb, booked it last Feb., so we did get to see it from "afar" and we were pretty sure with our decision...but nothing beats a first hand account! We were surprised to snag 1140 for less than a C1 but I think there was still some reservations before many people had actually "lived it." Cannot wait...and hope my feet get as tanned as yours!

We have 1138 on June 10th so thank you thank you for the pictures and yep hope the lounger "perk" is still there! We also had these on the Millennium next year for 15 days but changed to AQ2's with large balconies for that trip due to thinking a quieter balcony (no one looking!) because of all the sea days...almost 1/2 of the trip. so we got 9038 for that trip.

Lou

You are quite welcome. The lounger perk was pretty funny as I remember all the talk of what type of furniture may be out there after the refurb. I was expecting the new chairs and hopefully a foot stool.

Do the new chairs actually recline?

I was afraid to ask anyone and have my perks ferried away 'cuz someone complained. :)

Thanks so much for your review! We have 1140 booked for next Feb, booked it last Feb., so we did get to see it from "afar" and we were pretty sure with our decision...but nothing beats a first hand account! We were surprised to snag 1140 for less than a C1 but I think there was still some reservations before many people had actually "lived it." Cannot wait...and hope my feet get as tanned as yours!

When we booked in September we had paid less for cabin 1138 than a regular non AQ balcony would have cost at the time. We are very happy that we took that cabin sight unseen. You will be thrilled as well, believe me. On disembarkation day we asked Belinda, our room attendant, if we could see it. She let us in, we went to the balcony, and said "wow".

Have a blast :)