No Barrier Public Washrooms?

EdmPair

I was in a shopping mall today and the washroom was of the kind with a twisting hallway in so you get dizzy getting to the facilities but never touch a door. Of course, you exit also without needing to push or pull a door. From a hygiene point of view, this is great but it does take a bit more floor space.

I am thinking it would help with limiting Norovirus infections. Mind you, it could just kick the problem to the next surface touched by some fool who fails to wash his or her hands properly.

Do the big public spaces of the ships ever do this? Princess?? Specificially the Grand Princess???

I was in a shopping mall today and the washroom was of the kind with a twisting hallway in so you get dizzy getting to the facilities but never touch a door. Of course, you exit also without needing to push or pull a door. From a hygiene point of view, this is great but it does take a bit more floor space.

I am thinking it would help with limiting Norovirus infections. Mind you, it could just kick the problem to the next surface touched by some fool who fails to wash his or her hands properly.

Do the big public spaces of the ships ever do this? Princess?? Specificially the Grand Princess???

Some of the bathrooms near the pools do this. And most of the bathrooms use a sensor to turn on the water so you don't have to touch a faucet handle and there is a paper towel dispenser near the door with a bin so that you can dry your hands, use the towel to open the door and then throw it away.

Great idea to install these ...however.....

if everyone using public washrooms bothered to wash their hands, using soap and water and dry them thoroughly , we wouldn't be having this discussion !!!!!

The number of people walking straight out of cubicles into public areas beggers belief !!!!!!:eek:

Good hygiene costs nothing !:confused:

Some of the bathrooms near the pools do this. And most of the bathrooms use a sensor to turn on the water so you don't have to touch a faucet handle and there is a paper towel dispenser near the door with a bin so that you can dry your hands, use the towel to open the door and then throw it away.

When they go to code red, the outer doors on the public restrooms are usually propped open.

On previous Princess cruises I've found that in the handicapped public stalls, there's a sink right in the stall, so you can wash & then dry your hands right there. I'm not however, going to raise the issue of having to use your hand to open the stall door after washing your hands.:rolleyes:

On previous Princess cruises I've found that in the handicapped public stalls, there's a sink right in the stall, so you can wash & then dry your hands right there. I'm not however, going to raise the issue of having to use your hand to open the stall door after washing your hands.:rolleyes:

But you are forgetting that Princess has a wall mounted trash receptacle next to the exit door in all the public restrooms, so one can use a paper towel shrouded hand to open the stall door, and then dispose of the towel as they exit the restroom!!

All of the public bathrooms on Carnival have tissue like towels by the door so you can grab one and use it to open the door so you don't touch any thing. There is a waste basket right there to put used ones in.

I am often annoyed that the water in the public restroom sinks is cold. Most of the time, I cannot get the water hot and that seems something that could be improved upon to help in reducing Noro virus spread.

........ but never touch a door. Of course, you exit also without needing to push or pull a door. From a hygiene point of view, this is great but it does take a bit more floor space.

I've always thought the same - & not just on ships. Does seem to me that it's a pretty obvious design consideration.

Doorless restroom entrances don't have to take more space, though noses can smell round corners.:o

Doors which open outwards & can be pushed with a foot or a shoulder are fine, but most open inwards or are opened by turning a handle.:confused:

JB :)

I am often annoyed that the water in the public restroom sinks is cold. Most of the time, I cannot get the water hot and that seems something that could be improved upon to help in reducing Noro virus spread.

No problem getting hot water at sinks in the Princess public restrooms.

You can't get the water hot enough to kill germs.....it would scald you! Water temps have nothing to do with washing germs from your hands....the SOAP does that, and the rinsing (in any temp. water) will remove them from your skin.

Sure, you can live in a bubble and we will never see you on a cruise. :-)

The hot water comment is a good one in that soaps work better in warm water. It is not that you hope to kill germs just by having the water THAT hot. Besides, if it is pleasant to wash you are more likely to do it well and longer. Really cold water is nasty on my hands.

I understand how having towels ready to grip a door handle helps as often handles are a source of recontamination after you do wash. I feel great frustration with those I see leaving a washroom without using a sink, but there is a limited list of options for me.

I was just asking and thinking out loud. If the washrooms did not have exit doors at all, then that is just one less surface for staff to clean. However, I was not thinking of the issues of bathroom smell or sound getting out easier too.

Thanks for your thoughts all but do not let this stifle the conversation if more needs be said.

Space on a cruise ship is so precious. A rolling entrance to public restrooms would take up way too much space that would not generate revenue. :) If it doesn't make money for the ship, it probably isn't going to be added into the design. Not that I'm being critical of them...... they are 'for profit' businesses.

Nothing like exposure often to build up your immune system.

Nothing like being too clean to make yourself weak to any and all buggies when you travel.

Good hygene is always good idea but for virus best medicine is a strong immune system and common sense, but not touching anything is just silly...

Nothing like exposure often to build up your immune system.

Nothing like being too clean to make yourself weak to any and all buggies when you travel.

Good hygene is always good idea but for virus best medicine is a strong immune system and common sense, but not touching anything is just silly...

Well stated.

Space on a cruise ship is so precious. A rolling entrance to public restrooms would take up way too much space that would not generate revenue. :) If it doesn't make money for the ship, it probably isn't going to be added into the design. Not that I'm being critical of them...... they are 'for profit' businesses.

I'm sure not having an outbreak would contribute to the bottom line as well.

Yes, it does.

Cruise ship planners and operators surely have considered t the choices, one would think.

Providing tissue to use to open door really accomplishes the same thing. As long as you don' touch any surface after washing in the rest room, your hands remain clean.

Take a tissue to push the door open. I've done that for as long as we have cruised.

No matter the entry/exiti system and design, none of it matters as long as there are those who bypass the sink and don't stop to wash. :eek: Maybe standing a matron in the restroom to insure everyone washing may be more effective. Sad...... needing a 'guard' to tell thos with more hygience habits they need to stop and wash.

Until they put wash basins in every cubicle, the door handle question is a complete red herring. A gentleman performs his ablutions, fastens his trousers and belt, washes his hands, hitches up his trousers ... you've seen the weakness?

Unless people can be persuaded to wash their belt every time they use the toilet, then the germs will get out.

:confused: And the reason the gentlemen cannot wash their hands after they have finished with their belt on their way out of the restroom is what? I must be missing something but shouldn't the last thing the guys do is same as the ladies. Finish up your business and stop at the sink. If the door requires opening, take a tissue to use on the handle and dispose of it appropriately.

:confused: And the reason the gentlemen cannot wash their hands after they have finished with their belt on their way out of the restroom is what? I must be missing something but shouldn't the last thing the guys do is same as the ladies. Finish up your business and stop at the sink. If the door requires opening, take a tissue to use on the handle and dispose of it appropriately.

What you've missed is that he fastens his belt before he washes his hands. His belt is therefore full of germs. If he touches his belt again - and he will - then he's passed the germs back to his hands and we're back to square one.

RCI had signs encouraging us to use a paper towel to open the door, and had trash cans outside the restroom for paper towel disposal.

What you've missed is that he fastens his belt before he washes his hands. His belt is therefore full of germs. If he touches his belt again - and he will - then he's passed the germs back to his hands and we're back to square one.

What none of us should miss is that ALL of us will touch many surfaces which can be ripe with viral germs..... Not just belt buckles, not just ladies' purses that we lift and carry from the 'stall' to the sink and our hands are 'dirty' as we haven't yet washed. We will be carrying that handbag and touching it.

IF you do not put your hands into your mouth, nose, eyes....... keep your hands away from your face, you will not give an entry port for the virus to infect you.

None of us can be free of exposure by touching.

All of us can be free of infection by NOT touching our faces.

[i'm not a medical professional but after so many cruises and so many discussions on CC regarding Noro type virus, I'm not sure if we can be infected if we touch an open wound on our bodies with 'dirty hands'. I expect the answer is yes. If you have a cut and are changing the bandaid, perhaps that becomes a possible 'entry port'? ]

Archived