Cabin at the front of the ship?

kessdarln

The only time I cruised in a far forward cabin we had rough seas, I was OK, but my poor cabinmate was SO seasick. She spent the 1st 3 days of the cruise in bed.

All my other 14 cruises have been in midship or aftward cabins, and the "ride" is much better there, even if the seas are "bumpy".

The view would be awesome.....but the motion and noise may not be so great. If motion isn't as issue, you would probably enjoy the unique perspective. If motion tends to be an issue, it would make for a long, uncomfortable cruise.

This is a decision you have to base on your sea legs.

The front of the ship is the part that cuts through the waves, so you will feel the most up and down movement here.

If you are a good sailor then it shouldn't be an issue, but we would not book a cabin at the front, especially if it is high up, as the movement could be uncomfortable.

We had an inside cabin on the Aloha Deck near the bow on the Sun Princess. I liked feeling the motion during rough seas. DH didn't. The great thing about the cabin was easy access to the outside area. Most people must not have known about it. It was almost like having a private balcony, although occasionally other people would join us out there.

We have had a forward-facing, veranda cabin and loved it. You can watch the ship entering and leaving port (in your pajamas as you enter!), without leaving your cabin.

A couple of things however. It has been mentioned about the curtains at night. I did find it odd that they did not have alternative red lights available in our cabin, as they do not hurt night vision. Having found out about this problem before we sailed, I took the time to get a few red lights, both the very small night light type, and a couple of larger (10 or 15 watt) red bulbs and simple plug-in sockets at Home Depot. That way, there could be some light in our cabin, and we could open the curtains and go out on the veranda at night. But prepare yourself in advance to have these things when you go.

We were right above the lounge, but we never heard any music or noise the nights we skipped the show, and on other nights, there was nothing to disturb us.

Yes there is more motion that amidships, and in rough seas you do feel the bow hitting the waves a bit, but we enjoyed it -- we enjoy some feeling of the seas. Yes there was some noise as we entered ports, but that was our little alarm clock to get up, get ready, and prepare to go ashore.

If you don't mind the motion, I think you will enjoy this cabin.

We have cruised middle, back and front and by far the front of the ship was the worse as far as movement and sickness. (I do have to add that we were in an interior, but the movement should still be the same). Last cruise I told myself I would never book another cabin in the front of the ship again...however, it was the best deal that I could find this time around, but I made sure I got the one closest to the "middle" front instead. :D

Archived