Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

There is a web site that sells all sorts of cruise related stuff and I ordered these really nice luggage tag holders from them. They are re-usable clear plastic. You take your printed luggage tag, fold, insert it into the holder and attach to your luggage handle with the included strap. Mine were around $3 each which includes the shipping cost. I love them! No more laminating, packing tape etc.

Google cuise luggage tag holders and you should find it.

I saw those many months ago but didn't order them because I didn't think I'd need them, little did I know.

Yea the last day on the cruise they will have a class to teach us how to make our tags for disembarkation.:p:p

Good one Kathy!

Yes, I was referring to "snail mail", rather than e-mail. In the past, I have enjoyed looking through the various glossy cards and flyers I get from RC. But, from now on, I'm afraid that my reaction will be: "They can mail these out, but....:mad:"

(Oh, and Marci, I'm a "she" -- my DH is the "silent partner" of wwcruisers. :p ;))

Yes we sometimes get 4 or 5 pieces of mail a week from RC, makes one wonder.

I order the tags got enough to stick a few in each kids stocking at Christams.

d

I was told that the last hard copy newsletter that told about the December celebration would be the last real paper mailing that would be sent out. RCI told me this (for what it's worth) when I inquired as to why I was no longer receiving real mail from them. I wanted a copy of that newsletter and hadn't gotten one. Of course it showed up in the mail the day after I contacted them. I happen to believe it will be the last real mail from them.

I also got a newsletter in the mail from priority club rewards (holiday inn). On it was a notation that it would be the last hard copy of their newsletter. I could sign up for e-statements and earn 500 points. Or I could not sign up for it and not get the points but that is they way it will be coming anyway - email. I took the free points.

Gina

So, my phone call to RCI this morning was a complete waste of time. I inquired -- AGAIN -- about not receiving the mailouts, and was told I was on the mailing list for the next mailout. And I was told I have to wait another week for my edocs to issue, even though everyone on my thread has them. Can you say K-I-S-S O-F-F?:D

I fold over & hole punch them & use a ponytail holder to attach them to my luggage. I don't put them on until after I have picked up my luggage at the airport. That's why I use a ponytail holder instead of stapling - not interested in losing the tag on the flight or carrying around a stapler..

I still don't like it, but at least a constructive idea.

I have the luggage tag holders from favors by serendipity dot com that you put the printouts in. Keeps them from ripping off or getting wet. Bought them for other cruiselines, but they work perfectly for all of the cruiselines. I've used mine on 6 cruises now and they look as good as new. I have their shower caddy too. You can just google luggage tag holders and you'll find them.

Did not see this question and it is probably a dumb one but....

Seeing how the tags are coded do they have to be printed on a color printer? Will black printing work?

Yes, black printing will work, but if I recall correctly, the instructions on that page do say "preferably in color".

So, my phone call to RCI this morning was a complete waste of time. I inquired -- AGAIN -- about not receiving the mailouts, and was told I was on the mailing list for the next mailout. And I was told I have to wait another week for my edocs to issue, even though everyone on my thread has them. Can you say K-I-S-S O-F-F?:D

I sympathize with the phone reps. This happens every time that Royal makes some sort of policy change. The phone reps would like to say that someone in management made another policy change and failed to communicate it to all the folks that need to know (like the IT people who would program the tag button for PC and suite guests), but they would probably lose their job, so they have to come up with something to placate the callers.

LOL

I did say, for what's it's worth, considering who was giving me the info - RCI. :rolleyes: Oh brother.

Gina

I actually have both a Princess tag and a RCCL tag in my hands at this very moment... that's how I got the measurements. They are not the same size. They are the same length, but the Princess tags are quite a bit wider.

Don't see how they can fall out. The the loop that goes through the grommets on the tag holders i have tie the holder closed then it gets attached to the bag...that tag isn,t going anywhere no matter what size it is.

I found the email I sent to them along with the response. Here it is, dated Wednesday July 11, 2012. The paragraph in red is the important part. I included the rest of the message since it was sent to me.

From me to them:

Hi, I would really love to have the hard copy of the Crown and Anchor newsletter mailed to me. I used to get it in the past but for some reason the real US postal service mail has stopped coming to our address. Please add me back to that list.

Their reply to me:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the new Crown & Anchor Society E-Newsletter. We apologize for any delay in our response. We are very pleased to announce the launch of the E-version of our Crown & Anchor Society Newsletter. Moving forward, all Crown & Anchor Society members in the United States and Canada will receive quarterly e-mails containing the E-Newsletter. We will no longer be issuing paper copies of the Newsletter. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

The newsletter and savings certificates are available to members in the Crown & Anchor Society secured section of the Royal Caribbean website. Please follow the steps below to activate your account online.

1) Go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com/crownandanchor

2) Click on the blue Enroll/Activate button

3) Input all of the appropriate personal information

4) Enter your Crown & Anchor Society membership number into the gray box and click Continue

5) The last step will be to enter your existing My Cruises User Name and Password.

Please be advised that if you have a pop-up blocker, it will need to be temporarily disabled in order to view the savings certificates.

Please fill out all the information on the form. The information you enter must match what we have on our files exactly. If you have had any recent changes, or would like to verify our information, please contact our office. You may create a personal username and password for our secure Crown and Anchor section. However, if you have a "My Cruises" account, you will use that username and password. After you complete the activation process, you will be able to view the current quarterly coupons by clicking on the "special offers" link and then clicking on the hyperlink labeled saving certificates. If you have any questions, please contact us directly at 800-526-9723.

**Please note: The online system will allow one member to activate per e-mail address. Guests under age 18 will not be able to activate their membership or view their cruise history online. However, parents may choose to link their under aged children to their online account.

Mine is the 14th. No luggage tag button, no edocs.

I don't mind doing our own printing, folding, laminating, etc. It's a sign of the times. I DO mind not getting emails, mail outs, and edocs, and no one able to fix the problem. :(

Karen, have you ever considered this: with as many cruises as you have been on it's inevitable that you had crossed someone at Royal at some time and this is their way of getting back at you?:p

Karen, have you ever considered this: with as many cruises as you have been on it's inevitable that you had crossed someone at Royal at some time and this is their way of getting back at you?:p

No really, they don't want to waste the bandwidth since she knows what's in the docs. And she needs no tags on her luggage because they know which luggage is hers and where it's going. :D

Gina

If I can print them and tape them to the bag, then ok. It is very convenient to have the bags already tagged when arriving to the port. But I don't look forward to traveleing with a roll of packing tape.

No need to travel with the packing tape. Print out the labels at home before you leave, fold them, then "laminate" them with the packing tape. Fold in half and hole punch the top. After you get off your plane and before you arrive at the port (I will do it at our hotel), secure to your luggage with either a twisty tie or a hair elastic.

Starry Eyes

Yes you could simply ignore the fold lines and make wider yourself.

Whoa! Just whoa! I'm a rule follower. I don't smuggle, chair hog, or smoke my cigars on the balcony. I'm certainly not about to fold outside the lines. :D

I always know where to get my luggage...the naughty room! Tags are worthless when the bags go directly there! LOL.

I may start taking steps to ensure that my bags will end up there. At least I will know where they are.:D

Whoa! Just whoa! I'm a rule follower. I don't smuggle, chair hog, or smoke my cigars on the balcony. I'm certainly not about to fold outside the lines. :D

I suspect that your grades in kindergarten were better than mine.:p

So, if RC has no money to print and mail luggage tags, how do they justify the barrage of junk-mail that they send to us, whether we want it or not? :confused:

Easy...Mailings are part of the advertising budget. They spend money on advertising because it brings in more bookings. Mailing luggage tags to people who have already booked and paid generates no new revenue, it just increases costs.

That's a good point. My question is, if it's so easy to print them out yourself or fill them out at the pier, why continue to give them to suite guests and Pinnacle? Why not just say, "no more luggage tags"?

Suite guests and Pinnacle members are a small % of cruisers, and giving them the option to order luggage tags is a relatively low cost way of making them feel more special by adding another "benefit" to their perks.

Suite guests and Pinnacle members are a small % of cruisers, and giving them the option to order luggage tags is a relatively low cost way of making them feel more special by adding another "benefit" to their perks.

And they don't want to make those other cruisers feel too special for that same relatively low cost or they will have no reason to book a suite on future sailings.

Archived