Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

A while back we had a last minute upgrade ( remember when RCCL offered those) - anyway the porter handed us tags and a Sharpie and had us write the info. Worked fine.

Last cruise was booked 3 weeks prior to sail date and we printed our own, folded them and attached them to the suit case. Didn’t look pretty, but the info was there and more importantly we received our luggage.

M

Good thing I didn't start a luggage tag scrapbook. My husband typically makes extra luggage tags so we can put them on our bags before we fly to whatever port we are sailing out of. We've met a couple people that have ended up without lost luggage and prefer to take the extra precautionary measure. The homemade tags tend to be more durable than the ones RCCL mailed.

There is no way that I am going to read seven pages on this topic, but here are my thoughts, which may well have been expressed somewhere in those seven pages.

So I apologize in advance.

I would suspect that RC workers also do not like this change. Royal Caribbean's pre-printed luggage tags are color coded and marked for the quadrant of the ship and have large print.

If everyone (or most people) waits until they get to the port and have the porters scribble a plain tag for them, it will be harder to determine quickly where the bag is supposed to go.

Not to mention the lines at the curb. (since I am sure that SOMEONE must have mentioned that in seven pages!)

I just got an e-mail today letting me know Docs were ready for a Sept sailing date....I went on-line on Royal's site to the on-line check-in and ordered tags no problem...the link was right there. I figured to do it right away since they are cutting off on the 8th....but in any case I had no problem today ordering tags for a Sept 23rd sailing.

That is so weird. I did the exact same thing. And there is no link. My sailing is 24th. I was only able to print. No other options. Here's a pic

4db5abd4.jpg

8fbc2f18.jpg

Put one next to a sea pass card for size.

That is so weird. I did the exact same thing. And there is no link. My sailing is 24th. I was only able to print. No other options. Here's a pic

4db5abd4.jpg

8fbc2f18.jpg

Put one next to a sea pass card for size.

HHHmmmm....that is weird....but you know consistency isn't one on Royal best traits.

HHHmmmm....that is weird....but you know consistency isn't one on Royal best traits.

So true. My only guess. You said your sailing is 23rd. Mine is 24th. So maybe I'll get the link for the tags tomorrow. Doubtful but you never know

I am anxiously awaiting my last set, ordered last week :(. Not a big deal, but they were so much fun to find in the mailbox, and putting them on our bags signified the end of the hateful packing task. I just Googled "cruise luggage tag holders"and found some clear plastic ones on a wedding/party favor site. I upgraded to the ones with "Live. Love. Cruise." printed on them and longer straps (to avoid folding them every time I use them) and paid less than $23 including shipping for five of them.

I just ordered 5 for myself - thanks for the tip - for $17 (didn't see the upgrade option). Guess I'll have to recoup that $17 by either eliminating 2 or 3 drinks at the Schooner Bar (hate that idea) or helping myself to 2 or 3 extra drinks in the DL (yep I like that idea better)!:cool:

I just ordered 5 for myself - thanks for the tip - for $17 (didn't see the upgrade option). Guess I'll have to recoup that $17 by either eliminating 2 or 3 drinks at the Schooner Bar (hate that idea) or helping myself to 2 or 3 extra drinks in the DL (yep I like that idea better)!:cool:

I would pay way more than $23 to make sure I receive my luggage. There is no way I could talk myself into the "I am on a cruise, therefore nothing else matters and there is no stress" mindset if my luggage didn't make it to my cabin. I know what makes me miserable, and missing luggage is right up there on the top of my list. I am considering the $23 luggage tag holders to be insurance :D

There is no way that I am going to read seven pages on this topic, but here are my thoughts, which may well have been expressed somewhere in those seven pages.

I would suspect that RC workers also do not like this change. Royal Caribbean's pre-printed luggage tags are color coded and marked for the quadrant of the ship and have large print.

If everyone (or most people) waits until they get to the port and have the porters scribble a plain tag for them, it will be harder to determine quickly where the bag is supposed to go.

Not to mention the lines at the curb. (since I am sure that SOMEONE must have mentioned that in seven pages!)

Carol, it is okay - it works out! I have sailed on the lines that don't have luggage tags aside from the paper ones. I get my bags, no problem.;) I print out the paper ones, fold them, and attach one to each handle (I borrow a stapler at the hotel, or one from a porter). I have not had an issue. So many people do this, that the lines at the pier are not a problem. :)

I expect the paper tags will be color coded unless you print in B/W. and I would also guess that it will only be a matter of time before royal offers a custom holder for their tag.

I believe one or two lines already do that that use paper tags, maybe Hal, can't recall at this moment.

Porters at the pier put luggage tags on. Mailers, printing your own, using packaging tape... It's all a big waste of time.

Of course, having said that. I have no doubt people here will react to this in such a fashion that you would think RCI just announced they are using blind amputee child slave laborers in their engine rooms!

What??? Blind amputee child slave labor??? :D

Hidden message - you must have the secret decoder ring to read it. (highlight it)

Or share a soda card. :D

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, if you don't have a luggage tag holder and you've received the sticky luggage tags from RCCL, how are you supposed to attach them? Do you wrap them around the handle and stick them together? I know this is probably a really lame question, but they didn't come with instructions.

I've considered ordering those plastic holders for my clients... thing is, they are sized for Princess and Carnival's luggage tags, which are about 3" x 5.5"... I just measured the RCCL luggage tags and they are 1.75" x 5.5".

The RCCL tags will fit in there, but if you fold them they way they instruct, you'll have a lot of spare room side to side for them to move around in the holder. I'm a little concerned that they could fall out.

Ellen........have you looked at the tags that RCCL is putting out for printing.

The same size and layout as Princess........so.......what is the problem??:confused:

Rick

It is how other cruise lines do it, and it works. MSC, Carnival, HAL, and Princess all do it this way. Even Windstar didn't give out luggage tags!

The tags do not need to be colour coded. It is what is written on them that counts.

So take a deep breath! It will be fine! I recommend putting one tag on each handle. I have never had a problem getting my luggage.;)

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, if you don't have a luggage tag holder and you've received the sticky luggage tags from RCCL, how are you supposed to attach them? Do you wrap them around the handle and stick them together? I know this is probably a really lame question, but they didn't come with instructions.

Yep... you wrap them them around the handle, then remove the part of the back to reveal the sticky part and then stick them together.

Ellen........have you looked at the tags that RCCL is putting out for printing.

The same size and layout as Princess........so.......what is the problem??:confused:

Rick

I actually have both a Princess tag and a RCCL tag in my hands at this very moment... that's how I got the measurements. They are not the same size. They are the same length, but the Princess tags are quite a bit wider.

I actually have both a Princess tag and a RCCL tag in my hands at this very moment... that's how I got the measurements. They are not the same size. They are the same length, but the Princess tags are quite a bit wider.

Ellen, we shrink them to fit into the holders that we get. I guess our holders are smaller than yours if you're afraid of them falling out?

Ellen, we shrink them to fit into the holders that we get. I guess our holders are smaller than yours if you're afraid of them falling out?

I haven't actually seen the holders, Carol... other than online. But I was hesitant to place a large order for customized holders because of the size difference of the tags. If you've used them and aren't concerned about it, that would make me feel better about it.

BTW... Dana and I were just talking about you the other day... We're actually flying into Barcelona at the end of next month for a Solstice cruise with my parents. We were discussing your flight adventures last time we sailed from there together and hoping we have smoother travels this time around.

I haven't actually seen the holders, Carol... other than online. But I was hesitant to place a large order for customized holders because of the size difference of the tags. If you've used them and aren't concerned about it, that would make me feel better about it.

BTW... Dana and I were just talking about you the other day... We're actually flying into Barcelona at the end of next month for a Solstice cruise with my parents. We were discussing your flight adventures last time we sailed from there together and hoping we have smoother travels this time around.

We get them for our office at a dollar store. We shrink Princess and HAL tags to 75%, and they fit.

Doing that...a little silent protest action...causing delays or just headaches for the porters could get the change overturned. Maybe...possibly...you never know. :)

Archived