Opinions - Specialty Restaurants vs. MDR

Poppet1964

My husband and I will be on the Reflection in December. My husband is in the food industry and is rather particular about the quality of his food. It's one of the reasons I booked Celebrity, because have a reputation for having good food quality.

So far, I've booked reservations for Qsine and Tuscany (one to cover the formal night cause we don't want to dress up :eek: ).

I'm looking for opinions on the quality of the MDR food... should I book more specialty restaurants to keep him happy? I've read on these boards that Bistro on 5 is good... other thoughts?

My husband and I will be on the Reflection in December. My husband is in the food industry and is rather particular about the quality of his food. It's one of the reasons I booked Celebrity, because have a reputation for having good food quality.

So far, I've booked reservations for Qsine and Tuscany (one to cover the formal night cause we don't want to dress up :eek: ).

I'm looking for opinions on the quality of the MDR food... should I book more specialty restaurants to keep him happy? I've read on these boards that Bistro on 5 is good... other thoughts?

On our recent cruise on the Eclipse we ate in the MDR every night. Food was fantastic. We never eat in specialty restaurants in over 14 cruises except for NCL when my son had a birthday and we did it then. mummsie

My wife cooks very well, and I'm not very choosy about my food. I can etalmost anything.

However, in our daily life, we occasionally go out to eat outside. It is good to have variations.

MDR, no complaint. But once or twice per cruise specialty restaurant is not harmful.

Princess and HAL offer better food included in the price than Celebrity.

We had freshly squeezed juce in the buffet on HAL (extra fee on the Eclipse).

We had various sea food and deli products in the buffet on Princess (like sturgeon).

HAL and Princess offer proper afternoon tea ceremony in restaurants ( a few self service trays in the buffet on the Eclipse).

Croissants were inedible on the Eclise - salty, wrong consistency.

Bistro on 5 - rubbery crepes. No comparison with International Cafe on Princess.

MDR food was OK+ on the Eclipse. No complaints. Good service.

However, the best extra charge restaurant (Murano) on the Eclipse was more impressive than what we saw on HAL and Princess.

Murano is #1. I would repeat it any time.

Qsine is a puzzle food dinner & mini show. It's entertaining and worth visiting once. The food itself is rather "bar style" with just a couple of tasty items (filet mignon and lamb).

We skipped Tuskany.

The Eclipse is the best Celebrity ship.

The Reflection is going to be a victim of commercialization. More formerly free public spaces are taken by for-fee venues and extra cabins.

You'll probably find another extra charge "interactive cooking" eatery near the grass lawn.

I'm afraid there's no way of us judging whether your husband will be happy with the MDR fare. We enjoy it just fine we book a specialty maybe once and really enjoy Bisto on 5.

My suggestion is to stick with what you have, try the MDR and if it doesn't meet your expectations you can then book specialties more. They don't book up full every night.

Enjoy and just see how it works.

Den

We were on the Silhouette and ate at the Lawn Club Grill on the recommendation of someone we met at Qsine who is in the restaurant business. He said to try the veal chops. A number of people at our table did and said it was the best they ever had.

Princess and HAL offer better food included in the price than Celebrity.

We had freshly squeezed juce in the buffet on HAL (extra fee on the Eclipse).

We had various sea food and deli products in the buffet on Princess (like sturgeon).

HAL and Princess offer proper afternoon tea ceremony in restaurants ( a few self service trays in the buffet on the Eclipse).

Croissants were inedible on the Eclise - salty, wrong consistency.

Bistro on 5 - rubbery crepes. No comparison with International Cafe on Princess.

MDR food was OK+ on the Eclipse. No complaints. Good service.

However, the best extra charge restaurant (Murano) on the Eclipse was more impressive than what we saw on HAL and Princess.

Murano is #1. I would repeat it any time.

Qsine is a puzzle food dinner & mini show. It's entertaining and worth visiting once. The food itself is rather "bar style" with just a couple of tasty items (filet mignon and lamb).

We skipped Tuskany.

The Eclipse is the best Celebrity ship.

The Reflection is going to be a victim of commercialization. More formerly free public spaces are taken by for-fee venues and extra cabins.

You'll probably find another extra charge "interactive cooking" eatery near the grass lawn.

I believe the OP was asking about the quality of the Cekebrity MDR and if they should book more specialty restaurants, not our subjective opinion comparing it to other Lines.

And since no one has cruised Reflection yet, your statement seems a bit out of place since no one asked, and since the new SRs and addl restaurant took up grass space, and the former glassblowing venue. And an addl deck was added. I'll voice an opinion based on actually trying the ship in December.

Den

Hi! We found the MDR to be ok, but not spectacular food, but we really loved all the speciality restaurants, and especially the lawn club grill, and tuscan. Iwould advise not to pre book too much though, as if you ask, you can get two for one deals nearly all the time when on board, they are so keen to get more people to eat in the speciality restaurants, just my tip. Enjoy your cruise! :)

OP, have you considered upgrading to Aqua, a large percentage of the passengers who have used it prefer it to the MDR.

For a few, its not to their taste. We have had 69 nights in Blu, and in that time, one meal that disappointed, and that was quickly changed.

We go on Connie next month, so it will be interesting to see what we think of the MDR!

Richard

I'm afraid there's no way of us judging whether your husband will be happy with the MDR fare. We enjoy it just fine we book a specialty maybe once and really enjoy Bisto on 5.

My suggestion is to stick with what you have, try the MDR and if it doesn't meet your expectations you can then book specialties more. They don't book up full every night.

Enjoy and just see how it works.

Den

I agree. Further complicated for me by a variation in the food standard in the MDR from cruise to cruise. Last year in the Med on Solstice it was great. This year on an transatlantic and Norway on Eclipse it was disappointing. As Denny says give the MDR food a go and then decide whether you want to try one of the Specialties. You'll also have the Lawn Club Grill on Reflection which is open each evening and I think one lunch time on a sea day. I'm looking forward to trying that later in the year.

Phil

Well, as you stated you were looking for opinions and I guess you found them but certainly no consensus. I think Denny gives good advice, for now stick with the MDR, if it fails to please you can add more speciality dining (tho those venues are a bit over the top for me). I can't say that the MDR hits a home run every night, with every item but overall the food is IMO! very good. If you order something and are not satisfied, ask for something else - usually the wait staff is eager to please. We were in select dining and were seated one night with one of the most "discerning" (read difficult) diners I have ever encountered and the staff was beyond pleasant and accommodating to her.

Hi, as you can see the topic of food is VERY, VERY subjective;)

(just used caps for emphasis:)).

I recently read a review where the poster told us she and her husband

are food snobs (her words) and if anyone said the food in the main

dining room was "delicious" they were wrong. So, as you can see

each person has their own opinions.

I have eaten in the main dining room many times over the years.

Some things are delicious:D...maybe not every single item but I

usually eat about 3/4 of my dinners in there.

As for Reflection, as others have pointed out.....it will be wait and

see since she is not in the fleet yet;)

Excellent point Lois. And as usual, right on and put in a less confrontational approach then mine.

We may all think that since anyone posting is stating a subjective opinion and that doesn't need to be said, I think it does, especially in such subjective areas such as dining. It might help a great deal if we all added phrases such a "in my opinion" and "my view is". This helps take the edge off negative posts, and might help the poster also realize they aren't "The Source".

Den

MDR is usually pretty good. But if I may offer an opinion...If there is just the two of you I would pass on Qsine unless you really like to chow down...way too much food for two, the IPad is just a gimick, the venue feels crowded when it is full, not worth paying extra for. Personally - I would not miss Murano (even though we have had hit and miss experiences) the room is beautiful, tables well spaced, a very special dining experience.

I would advise not to pre book too much though, as if you ask, you can get two for one deals nearly all the time when on board, they are so keen to get more people to eat in the speciality restaurants, just my tip. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Who do you ask? :). Thanks!

The food in the main dining room is comparable to what you get at an event held at a catering house or at a chain/franchise land based restaurant. It is not as good as the food you get at an event held at an upscale hotel or a country club, even though they are banquet experiences, as well.

The food in the specialty restaurants is comparable to what you get at a good land based restaurant, an upscale hotel, or at a country club..

We ate most of our meals in Blu, but the food and service in Murano and Tuscan were beyond good. DH said the filet he had in Tuscan was the best he has ever had. I personally could do without the constant "service". He likes it in Blu and the specialties. Next trip, we are assigned to the MDR, so we will compare.

We eat almost exclusively in the MDR. On any given cruise, the quality of the meals vary. Even if you order the same dish twice. On one cruise, the first day they offered lamb chops, they were perfect. The next time, far from perfect!

I just figure if it's not so great, I eat less and that does me no harm!

We like all the food but the specialty restuarants are much nicer than the MDR but a bit over the top for every night.

Look at it this way: At the MDR they are coking banquet style for a thousand people or more at one time. At the specialty restaurants they are cooking meals to order for a much smaller number of people. Think of the MDR as really great banquet food which is sometimes better than that image and sometimes worse. Think of the specialty restuarants as really good food like you find at a medium-high end restaurant.

Over and over again, I have to remind people that it is MUCH more difficult to cook a dinner for thousands of passengers with an extensive choice than cooking in a land based venue forthe same ampunt of people. banquet events in upscale hotelsmusuallynhave almost no menu choices, special requests are normally not possible unless notified well upfront. so not even that comparison is correct.

For the constraints and limitations that Any ship galley has and the number of mouths to feed, the MDR on Celebrity ismsimply outstanding most of the time.

People who claim otherwise simply are out of touch with culinary reality and have no clue about the challenges.

Even the a la carte restaurants have their difficulties, like working with frozen food ( something never done in good landside restaurants that have a Michelin star or more).

My opinion on Celebrity food after cruising on them 20 times is that the food in the MDR ranges from good to very good to occasionally excellent. If by chance you get a bad meal, you can ask that it be replaced with an alternate entree. As has been said, there is never a concensus on this issue and honestly, it can vary quite a bit from ship to ship, sailing to sailing and even day to day. Overall I would rate it better than average (and IMHO much better than the food we have experienced on Princess, NCL, or RCCL - others disagree with that opinion. I also think Celebrity's croissants are usually some of the best I have ever had - ever).

We have eaten several times in the Specialty restaurants and love them - find the food and service to be equivalent to that of a higher priced land based restaurant (perhaps just short of gourmet). Some people go to them every day. To me, they are a treat. The volume of food is extensive and the length of dining is generally quite a bit longer than the MDR so that alone makes it something I prefer not to do each day.

Overall, I agree with the opinion of waiting until you board. Try the MDR once or twice, and then book specialty accordingly. With the possible exception of Qsine, they generally do not book up ahead of time.

The food in the main dining room is comparable to what you get at an event held at a catering house or at a chain/franchise land based restaurant. It is not as good as the food you get at an event held at an upscale hotel or a country club, even though they are banquet experiences, as well.

The food in the specialty restaurants is comparable to what you get at a good land based restaurant, an upscale hotel, or at a country club..

I'd like to add this to my previous post quoted above. With Celebrity's relatively low cruise prices, the food in the main dining room is a very good value since there is no additional charge for it. On a land based vacation you usually pay more per day to stay at a nice hotel that doesn't include any food. The specialty restaurants are also a good value considering what it costs for a similar meal at a comparable land based restaurant.

While some people dine at an upscale restaurant every night during a land based vacation, most people only do so on a few nights during their vacation and eat at a less expensive place with more average food on the other nights. So in some ways the food situation during a Celebrity cruise isn't that much different than a land based vacation and costs a lot less.

Archived