Diamonds International?

lola4795

I keep seeing mentions on this board about Diamonds International. Is it owned by Carnival? Is it discount diamond jewelry?

What is your opinion of it? I know someone who bought their wedding ring while on a cruise. They raved about the amazing deal they got and how it was appraised at home by a local jeweler for far more than they paid for it.

I'm very curious to know if this is something I want to start priming dh for! :)

My opinion is if you are not a gem expert, you are way more likely to be taken than to get a fabulous deal. You can do better buying at home from a reputable dealer.

I have bought some jewelry, but I have gotten to where I realize now I could do so much better online than buying in the ports.

Its not owned by Carnival.. but they definetely are giving Carnival kickbacks, so you know its gotta be seriously marked up to cover that. the onboard shopping "expert" will give you a map to all the recommended stores.. read, the ones that give carnival kickbacks.

Ive seen on bidz.com discounts to 85% and over 90% occassionally.

I got taken in the Caymans, thinking 65% was a nice discount.. naive me.. I learned after getting it priced when I got home.

Get it if its something you love to remember your trip.. but dont believe its going to be a huge deal.

I have been buying jewelry from Diamond International since 1999 and have gotten some wonderful pieces at great prices....

BUT

(please note the BUT) ...

the deals are not as good as they used to be AND you have to know what you are doing (which to be honest most folks don't).

I got better prices years ago.

And the only reason I bought my last piece (diamond and sapphire earrings) was because I loved the design. The price was not that much less than I could have gotten in the US....but I did not want a cookie cutter design that everyone had.

Carnival does not own them. Any store you see advertised by the Carnival Shopper (who does not even work for Carnival) is PAID FOR by the stores represented.

I have a couple, who are very good friends, and both GIA Certified Gemologists. When I last sailed with them, we went ashore to look at some of the "offerings". They both agreed that most of the jewelery was marginal, at best, and that there were a few,,,,but a VERY few,,,good deals out there. To reiterate, you MUST know what you're buying. I agree with most of those above who say that you're far better off to buy at home, where you trust your jeweler, and you have some recourse if you have second thoughts, or problems with your purchase.

"SKY"

And Diamonds International is like Starbucks. There's one on every corner on every island.

And Alaska :rolleyes:

They're everywhere and the cruise lines all push to get you to shop there. As others have said, unless you're prepared, it's best to just avoid it altogether.

Read the reviews for diamond int and you may decide you do not want to shop there. I have read several that they do not stand behind what they sell and Carnival just does not back them up. Again , if you know what you are buying you might get a deal. I would not buy from them though.:mad:

I have been buying jewelry from Diamond International since 1999 and have gotten some wonderful pieces at great prices....

BUT

(please note the BUT) ...

the deals are not as good as they used to be AND you have to know what you are doing (which to be honest most folks don't).

I got better prices years ago.

And the only reason I bought my last piece (diamond and sapphire earrings) was because I loved the design. The price was not that much less than I could have gotten in the US....but I did not want a cookie cutter design that everyone had.

Carnival does not own them. Any store you see advertised by the Carnival Shopper (who does not even work for Carnival) is PAID FOR by the stores represented.

Who does the so called super shopper work for?

Amazes me that people will spend several thousand dollars on a stone from someone they really dont know and will probably never see again.

Might get a real good deal and you might get hosed. Unless you know stones how would you know?

I bought from tanzanite intl in January which is the same bunch as diamonds. Got what I thought was a good deal $269 on what turned out to be a synthetic stone that my jewler says MIGHT be worth $100 not worth paying for an appraisal. Needless to say we won't be buying any more jewelry out of the country

In addition to most of what has already been stated so well by others, the on board shopping "expert" :rolleyes: is not an employee of the cruise line (don't let that Carnival badge they are wearing fool ya!). They work for a company that unfortunately is in with all of the mass market lines. Th extent of their expertise is how to convince folks that they are getting amazing deals on their purchases. Its a shameful practice I wish the cruise lines would abolish.

I keep seeing mentions on this board about Diamonds International. Is it owned by Carnival? Is it discount diamond jewelry?

What is your opinion of it? I know someone who bought their wedding ring while on a cruise. They raved about the amazing deal they got and how it was appraised at home by a local jeweler for far more than they paid for it.

I'm very curious to know if this is something I want to start priming dh for! :)

I find that I can get better deals at home. D.I. is noted for giving cruise directors a hefty commission on all the sales they make by sending cruisers to their stores (Diamond International). You really need to do your homework before hand to make sure that you are getting a bargain.

In addition to most of what has already been stated so well by others, the on board shopping "expert" :rolleyes: is not an employee of the cruise line (don't let that Carnival badge they are wearing fool ya!). They work for a company that unfortunately is in with all of the mass market lines. Th extent of their expertise is how to convince folks that they are getting amazing deals on their purchases. Its a shameful practice I wish the cruise lines would abolish.

Always this that buying something like jewely that you are not an expert in from someone you dont know is wrong but now we have someone paid to steer you in a direction not necessarily in your favor.

Stopped in TI in Cozumel and fiancee saw a bracelet she loved, but the price was OBSCENE. When we said "No thanks", we kept getting offered lower and lower prices with "special deal this" or "use this coupon". It got ridiculous and we walked out the door.

Always this that buying something like jewely that you are not an expert in from someone you dont know is wrong but now we have someone paid to steer you in a direction not necessarily in your favor.

I tend to avoid the shops "recommended" by the cruise lines. I have found that some of the others tend to bargain more. Totally agree with golfadj, a person buying jewelry they are not expert in from a sales person they do not know, in a country they may not visit again. Say that to yourself again and see what a poor decision that can be.

A few years back on a Mexican Rivera cruise the CD gave the shoppers seminar and really promoted one particular jewelry shop. Later that day walking through town on the way back to the ship we pass the shop and there is the CD hanging with the shop personnel over lunch. HMMM

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Who does the so called super shopper work for?

The Super Shopper is actually an employee of the sub contractor that owns the gift shops.

Used to be Starboard....

just like the Art and Spa.....they are an employee of the subcontractor, not Carnival

Amazes me that people will spend several thousand dollars on a stone from someone they really dont know and will probably never see again.

Might get a real good deal and you might get hosed. Unless you know stones how would you know?

The stones will indeed be exactly as described on your certification....however the "price" for that kind of stone is where the customer needs to be informed.

The saddest thing is that years ago, DI used to have some nice stuff at really good prices.

BUT was with lots of companies these days (read between the lines).....

the quality has gone down.

DI has exhibited the same "cuts" that was have seen elsewhere over the past few years.

We've been going into the Diamonds International stores to get the free charms for the charm bracelet. On our first cruise (and first time going into the store) I felt guilty for just going in and not acting like I wanted to buy anything.

SO, my daughter had a pendant given to her by my mother in law, and I was trying to get an 18" gold chain for it. She was only 10 at the time and as such, I was not planning on giving it to her knowing she'd break it. So I was planning on putting it away for her with the pendant.

Lo and behold, after a 20 minute wait while the (car) salesman went back to talk to his manager to give me the best deal possible, said the best he could do for a simple 18" gold chain was $149.

I was so shocked!! I couldn't believe how expensive it was. Even after I explained who it was for (and she was with us), I know that in the malls at home I could get a chain WAY cheaper than that.

I walked out and now don't feel so bad about going in to get the charm in each port.

Shawn

The stones will indeed be exactly as described on your certification.....

This is correct if the stone has a lab certification by GIA or AGS. Any other lab and it's "BUYER BEWARE" and anybody's guess as to the real quality of the stone you are considering. This is true in any market, the caribbean, at home, online ............

Archived