Royal Caribbean Stops 'Bag Tag' Presses (Print Your Own!) and Other Noteworthy Cruise

LauraS

I wonder how long that policy will last after 30-40 percent of the luggage being loaded on the ship has their 'home-printed' tags ripped off and lost? There are going to be a LOT of very unhappy passengers complaining loudly to anybody with a RC name tag on their shirt about their luggage never showing up.

I wonder how long that policy will last after 30-40 percent of the luggage being loaded on the ship has their 'home-printed' tags ripped off and lost? There are going to be a LOT of very unhappy passengers complaining loudly to anybody with a RC name tag on their shirt about their luggage never showing up.

Once that happens, then people will stopping wasting time and paper printing them and just let the porters at the terminal do it. No fuss, no muss. I've never bothered with any sort of luggage tag. Taking the time to print your own is silly and pointless.

Once that happens, then people will stopping wasting time and paper printing them and just let the porters at the terminal do it. No fuss, no muss. I've never bothered with any sort of luggage tag. Taking the time to print your own is silly and pointless.

My only concern with this is that since there will be significantly more tags for the porters to write and to make things go quickly, that their handwriting may not be as accurate and the tags will be unclear. luggage will be "lost" til the correct cabin can be located.

We have had experience with the porters filling out luggage tags at the Port of Galveston. We were sailing on the Mariner last March. He filled out the tags and I noticed that they said Carnival Magic on the tags.

He said they were out of the RCCL tags, but that our luggage would go to the correct ship.

We did get our luggage.

Edited by Hypo

Only problem with letting the porters fill out luggage tags is that it will take more time than them just unloading the bags. When most people have to have the porters create luggage tags, I suspect that the waiting lines will grow longer and longer. Also, if they have to hand-write the tags, they will most likely become more and more scribbled (illegible) as the vehicles arrive and back up. I plan on getting there at least a half hour earlier to avoid the traffic jam....

The only time we've had to have the porter write out a baggage tag for us we didn't get our luggage until 10 pm that night because the cabin number was illegible. I would rather print mine out at home, put clear packing tape on it and secure it with zip ties to my luggage.

The only time we've had to have the porter write out a baggage tag for us we didn't get our luggage until 10 pm that night because the cabin number was illegible. I would rather print mine out at home, put clear packing tape on it and secure it with zip ties to my luggage.

That is the first report I have ever seen first hand of a bag being delayed because of the porter putting the tag on. It ends a long streak as I've been waiting to hear that.

As for all the concerns about it "slowing down" the porters. Simply put, it doesn't. Most all of them keep a bunch of tags in their pocket and they are lightning quick, tag marked and attached in the blink of an eye. I will believe it causes a slow down when I see it.

We live 3 hours from Baltimore--so, we have purchased several last minute cruises from there. It is too late to order tags for those. When we arrive there is a separate tent for people in need of tags. These people do not cause a delay. if you have tags you continue to the porters to load your bags.

However, I have printed/attached my own tags when I cruised on other cruise lines and never had a problem with it.

That is the first report I have ever seen first hand of a bag being delayed because of the porter putting the tag on. It ends a long streak as I've been waiting to hear that.

And I do think this is the reason our luggage was so late because I kept asking our cabin steward about it, describing the bag in detail, and when he finally showed up with it and I saw the tag I knew that was the reason. It's not like they were still bringing bags to all the cabins.

We waited in 1 line for luggage tags - only to be referred to a second line - who didn't have any tags, and referred us to a third line. At that point I went looking for anyone that looked like they knew what they were doing. the line for luggage tags was growing - and it was hot - so people waiting to get their luggage checked in was getting frustrated.

We added almost 2 hours to our boarding time moving from 1 line to the next to find someone that had luggage tags.

We have always had luggage tags since then.

I appreciate that no one else has appeared to have this problem. But, when everyone is in the line for luggage tags, some frustration will follow.

Only problem with letting the porters fill out luggage tags is that it will take more time than them just unloading the bags. When most people have to have the porters create luggage tags, I suspect that the waiting lines will grow longer and longer. Also, if they have to hand-write the tags, they will most likely become more and more scribbled (illegible) as the vehicles arrive and back up. I plan on getting there at least a half hour earlier to avoid the traffic jam....

I got luggage tags at the port once, and the porter's writing was pretty bad. Sure enough, when our bags got delivered, one was missing. We found it down the hall in front of another cabin.

I've used the printed tags before and have not had a problem, but I can the being torn off as a distinct possibility.

I was told today by RCCL rep about the luggage tags. I asked if I could still get them at the dock and she said yes. I agree printing your own tags is pointless. More work for porters at cruise terminals.

I ordered luggage tags last Monday (via RCCL website) and had them Thursday. I had also been told they were no longer sent to you BUT seems you can still get them if you request them.

I was told today by RCCL rep about the luggage tags. I asked if I could still get them at the dock and she said yes. I agree printing your own tags is pointless. More work for porters at cruise terminals.

I guess Royal wants them to earn their tips now (not that they didn't already)

I guess Royal wants them to earn their tips now (not that they didn't already)

I don't think the porters at the ports earn anything when I could easily put the bag on the cart myself. Making luggage tags will give them something tippable to do.

Maybe RC should let us put our own bags on the cart so we can save on tip money.

I agree. What in the world is the big deal. I fold the tag as instructed and then wrap it with clear packing tape.

Before I leave my hotel I wrap the tag around the handle of my suitcase and secure with more packing tape. Even scotch tape will work.

You can pick up your suitcase by the luggage tag now. It won't fall off. Better than the ones they send you.

We've always printed off our bag tags and have never lost any of them. We used sticky tape and that kept them well secured. I think only USA cruisers get them anyway? So perhaps half of the cruising population have never had them to start with. This is one thing I just don't get all the angst. They are used for what, four hours?

Just wondering too where the 30-40% of home printed tags being torn off has come from? We have had a few cruises and two or three suitcases per trip, and have not had any issues at all. So just by odds, maybe one of those cases should have had a problem? User error maybe but following the instructions ensures a pretty strong label.

Edited by Pushka

I prefer the pre-printed mailed tags that they sent. They're pretty and seem more secure.

That being said, on the 2 Princess cruises I have had in the last year, they have been self print. So, I print my ugly black/white tag. I fold it as instructed, then fold it over my handle and staple a billion times. Both cruises it has held up and not been torn off. I would have that the concerns with them being easily ripped off were valid until I've witnessed it differently on other lines.

Again, I appreciated the pretty ones they sent, but since they aren't doing that anymore, I will print my own--and lose the concern with them being ripped off before arriving to me cabin.

i do agree. but if luggage tags are printed properly and applied properly (strong package tape) they will hold. we are all in the same boat (no pun).

if they come off it is our fault. not RCL.