Rome or Florence -which to skip?

Justness

Hello, sailing in three weeks on the epic.

In Italy, we are going to Florence , rome, Napes. I plan on going to port at Naples but plan to skip either Florence or Rome. Have not been to either.

First time cruisers so want to make the most of the ship. I'm European so I'll get a chance.to head back to Italy in anyway

As we only have one day in each, which should we skip? I do like history but I dont think one day is enough to see it all. I would like a leisurely type of day with some sightseeing and coffee!

I hear great thinks about Florence but being honest, it doesn't attract me apart from michaelangelo. What else is there apart from seeing his works? I think Rome might be too much to do in a day though.

If you had to, which one would you skip?

Hello, sailing in three weeks on the epic.

In Italy, we are going to Florence , rome, Napes. I plan on going to port at Naples but plan to skip either Florence or Rome. Have not been to either.

First time cruisers so want to make the most of the ship. I'm European so I'll get a chance.to head back to Italy in anyway

As we only have one day in each, which should we skip? I do like history but I dont think one day is enough to see it all. I would like a leisurely type of day with some sightseeing and coffee!

I hear great thinks about Florence but being honest, it doesn't attract me apart from michaelangelo. What else is there apart from seeing his works? I think Rome might be too much to do in a day though.

If you had to, which one would you skip?

If you think you'll get back again and do each more justice and your mission is to enjoy the ship, why don't you just go to Lucca instead of Florence and skip Rome? Lucca is easy to get to, you'll be going when weather is nice and you'd be able to enjoy a Tuscan town that's the perfect size for a nice day. You could probably throw in a stop in Pisa.

Of course the solution to your problem of not being able to do it all in a day is to simply stay on the ship for the entire voyage. Then you will have no concerns about not getting it all done :). But seriously, both Rome and Florence are wonderful cities and we would never suggest that a traveler skip either place. We do agree that you cannot do it all in day (or several day) but why not adopt our philsophy which is not to try. Just do a few things that are of interest to you. Go on your own, do not get yourself stuck on a tour that goes to places that you have no interest, and take your time to enjoy coffee (we alway do). For example, it is easy to get from Civitavecchia to Rome by train (only 12 Euros for a BIRG ticket which covers the trains plus all days use of the Metro and local buses) and see a few things and then settle into one of the cafes at the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome) and enjoy a cappucino as you watch all the tour groups running to and fro. As to Florence (once called the greatest tourist city in the world by a major travel magazine) you can do the same thing. Just go there by train from Livorno (or pay the cruise line for the expensive bus) and do your own thing. Florence is a beautiful city for just strolling, enjoying the architecture, cafes, etc. We have been back to Florence about 10 times (more then half of those trips were on basic driving trips) and never get tired of this great city.

Hank

If I absolutely had to choose(why??) I would choose Florence for a cruise ship excursion.

IMO you can more easily "skim" Florence than Rome. Although it should be noted neither deserve to be "skimmed" that is really what happens in a 7 to 9 hours port stop.

Having been to both Florence and Rome many times, I wouldn't miss either. However, if I was made to choose it would have to be Florence that I would visit.

It is far more compact than Rome and is a fabulous city. I would choose to visit Michaelangelo's David, the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio.

Then maybe a bit of retail therapy.

Having been to both Florence and Rome many times, I wouldn't miss either. However, if I was made to choose it would have to be Florence that I would visit.

It is far more compact than Rome and is a fabulous city. I would choose to visit Michaelangelo's David, the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio.

Then maybe a bit of retail therapy.

Hahahaha.... the Ponte Vecchio IS retail therapy !!!!!! At least it was for me :D

As for skipping a port - that is incomprehensible for me. Just not something I could do unless I was too sick to haul my rear end out of bed :) But...... if you have to - go to Florence. Save Rome for when you really want to be there as it has so much to offer. Florence is nice, really nice and imo is better suited to a port stop.

I suppose it boils down to which period of history you are more interested in, the art and architectural glories of ancient Rome or those of the Italian Renaissance. Both equally fascinating in their own way and I'm not sure I could choose for myself, let alone you!

I wouldn't skip either on a cruise (What? You are too worn out to do both?) but having been to both many times, if you told me I had to pick one that I could never go back to again, that would be Florence. I have never found the soul of Florence, although the majority would disagree. OTOH I will never get to Rome enough times to appreciate its majesty and see all of the glories. I still have a list a mile long of things I want to see and do in Rome, for the first, second or third times; there is nothing in Florence I need to see or do again.

Flame away.

I wouldn't skip either on a cruise (What? You are too worn out to do both?) but having been to both many times, if you told me I had to pick one that I could never go back to again, that would be Florence. I have never found the soul of Florence, although the majority would disagree. OTOH I will never get to Rome enough times to appreciate its majesty and see all of the glories. I still have a list a mile long of things I want to see and do in Rome, for the first, second or third times; there is nothing in Florence I need to see or do again.

Flame away.

no fire extinguisher required-I agree with you

I found Florence interesting for a short visit but if you dont want to visit the museums little to do for more than a few hours

On the other hand have visited Rome on several occasions both on land trips and 1 day cruise visits and still havent seen it all[never have thrown a coin in the Trevi fountain either]

Almost an even split LOL. For me, having been to both several times, I would say that a one day stop would be more productive in Florence than Rome.

Florence is smaller and you can see and experience more of Florence than you could of Rome in a single day. While Rome has so much more, it is also so much more spread out.

As you said, you are in Europe, this allows you the opportunity to go to Rome for a longer, in depth visit. That would do Rome justice and you would enjoy it more.

Florence is much more compact and easier to see the highlights in a day. It would certainly be easier to than Rome. The Duomo is astounding. The whole Medici complex, including the Chapels, Laurentian library & San Lorenzo, the Ponte Vecchio & Pitti palace are all worthwhile. Don't miss the Galileo museum-it has Galileo's finger preserved:eek:

That being said, Pick ONE thing you want to see in Rome, other than the Vatican museum. Get on the train, see it, look for the nearest piazza and get your poison of choice, espresso, wine or gelato, people watch for a while. Head back to the train. You will get a feel for the city & be able to make better plans for your next trip

There was another recent thread about the big three in a row; Naples ( Pompeii/Amalfi/Sorrento ), Rome, and Florence/Pisa...

Not sure how you could pass on Florence or Rome there are so many iconic things in both citiies that even a train into the city center and a walkaround the plaza and the exterior would be special. None of these ports can be done justice in a day, but to skip any is really injustice!

If you never get this way, maybe pass one of them, if you don't think you'll get back this way again, you are CRAZY to skip :D

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Florence.htm

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome.htm

Thanks all

Interesting replies!

I think I'm leaning on skipping florence. As it's our first cruise I want to experience the ship as there is only one sea day and I'm planning on going posh so want to get my money's worth! I know that's crazy thought to most here!

I think I'll plan my day in Rome, as a previous poster said, I'm going to pick one maybe two things and concentrate on that.

I'll then play Florence by ear. I'm also skipping marseille but I do not think that's as contraversial!

My justification is I'm planning an Italian trip next year in anyway so could fit in other stops then

Thanks

J

Nothing wrong with making the ship your destination. We love sea days for that very reason and haven't attempted a typically very port intensive Mediterranean cruise yet for the same reason.

The way to achieve both things (sea days plus Med ports) is to take a repositioning cruise (our favorite cruises). We particularly love the Repos that start in the US since we usually being our cruise with as many as 9 days at sea which leaves us well rested and ready for ports.

Hank

We've been on 9 cruises and have never skipped a port. As a North American any time I could get to Florence or Rome I would go. As a European you are closer to these places and maybe you can get there whenever you want. However, I've been to Boston a dozen times and if the cruise ship stopped there, I would find something to do in port.

We toured heavily in both...but I feel like there was way more to see in Rome....still to see

Rome...we did Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, St. Peter's Square last , first Colloseum (sadly no time to wander Palantine Hill area, walked past Roman forum on way to Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and then Spanish steps...it gave us a wonderful taste...for more..

Florence and Pisa was also a really nice day...all day private tour Wanted to see Pisa...cause we were too close to skip it. ;)

We saw Pisa, went to overlook for Florence

David, the museums, Santa Croce Church...walked the squares, Ponte Vecchio...Florence main touring area is quite cimpact

.scenic drive on the way back....stopped by winery for pics

So glad we did not skip any port days.....

I would find other ways to enjoy the ship..(and not miss Florence though)

.for example..I was up early to use hot tub and then swim (all the looking up to see so much art on ceilings really strained the neck)

We ate in the main dining room, always went to International cafe on the way back...for coffee, tea, snacks...went to shows every night...We finally got to Movies Under the Stars the last night...

Bernadette

seriously, both Rome and Florence are wonderful cities and we would never suggest that a traveler skip either place. We do agree that you cannot do it all in day (or several day). Just do a few things that are of interest to you. Hank

My view is closer to Hank's as noted above. See both. It will only a "sampler", but that will help you when you go back later to have had that "overview" for a small part of what is there to do and enjoy. Both great and very different cities. BUT, great history, architecture and charm there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,900 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Rome is a fantastic city and there is the cruise train to Rome.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/faqs

This will get you to the Vatican in 40 minutes.

I've been to Rome twice and if I had to recommend one site- it would be the Vatican. You don't have to be religious to enjoy it there. It is a magnificent structure with artwork.

If you like coffee- take a taxi to the Via Veneto (a lovely shady tree-lined street) and sit outside at one of the many coffee shops and take a stroll through the Borghese Park.

Florence is beautiful but if you are looking for a quick excursion from Florence- just go to Pisa or do the Cinque Terre excursion (which is fantastic). I know NCL does it. The Cinque Terre is probably not a place that you will get to easily on a subsequent visit. So I would go there. It was our favorite cruise experience in the Med.

Archived