medical evac fro westerdam

luvflorida

Just returned from a wonderful cruise to Alaska on the Westerdam from Aug 18-24. near the beginning of the cruise there was a helicopter evacuation of a passenger to Port Hardy and from there to Vancouver. Does anyone know if the person made it or not. Not even sure what the emergency was but obviously could not be handled on board and everyone watched the rope ladder evacuation of the patient. We were a little late into Juneau as a result but I really don't think anyone minded.

The PAX was a mid 20's female who had a brain aneurysm while riding a treadmill in the gym. It is my understanding between the aneurysm and the fall from the treadmill she did not regain consciousness while on the ship.

It is my understanding that she was on the ship with her husband and 2 children. They disembarked in Juneau.

There was no further update on the PAX condition that was given as far as I know of.

Like any large group/community, people get sick.

They are all entitled to their privacy and it would be inappropriate IMO for any HAL crew person/staff to ever provide confidential health information about any guest.

I am confident all wish her and her family the very best and most of us would provide them their privacy at a very stressful time for them.

Just wishing them well is all we can (and, IMO, should) do.

(***partial quote)

While I understand the message behind the quote, that seems a little cold and heartless to me.

I will be praying for this woman and her family.

I agree. This was a very traumatic experience for several PAX. I don't think the original poster is asking for a medical diagnosis which by the way is against the law to discuss. I think we are just hoping to hear there was a positive outcome for this young family.

.......................... Not even sure what the emergency was but obviously could not be handled on board and everyone watched the rope ladder evacuation of the patient. We were a little late into Juneau as a result but I really don't think anyone minded.

A point of clarification please (if you know); the vast majority of U.S. Coast Guard aerial medevacs are accomplished by lowering via hoist cable a USCG rescue swimmer from the helicopter to the deck of the cruise ship, having him (no hers yet, pretty sure) prepare the patient, usually loaded into a stokes basket/litter, and then reversing the process and hoisting the ship's medical officer, the patient and then the rescue swimmer onboard the aircraft. Using a rope ladder presents too hazardous a situation plus would indicate the patient was/would be in a condition to physically be able to "climb" a rope ladder, no easy task for an untrained individual!

No biggie if you don't know!

All the best to that 20some female passenegr from Westerdam

A point of clarification please (if you know); the vast majority of U.S. Coast Guard aerial medevacs are accomplished by lowering via hoist cable a USCG rescue swimmer from the helicopter to the deck of the cruise ship, having him (no hers yet, pretty sure) prepare the patient, usually loaded into a stokes basket/litter, and then reversing the process and hoisting the ship's medical officer, the patient and then the rescue swimmer onboard the aircraft. Using a rope ladder presents too hazardous a situation plus would indicate the patient was/would be in a condition to physically be able to "climb" a rope ladder, no easy task for an untrained individual!

Thanks Copper. The hoist was used in this instance. The Canadian Coast Guard did a wonderful job as well as Captain Hank Keijer who actually gave an extremely precise description over the ship's speakers of all of the events while they were taking place.

I made the comment that with HAL's demographic I didn't think any cruise line Captain's had more experience than those on HAL with medavac situations. I thought this was a factor that would hopefully offer a better chance for a positive outcome for the passenger.

I obviously don't have the inside knowledge that you do but I would think HAL would have either the most or nearly the most Medavacs of any cruise line.

By any remote possibility did you know a Jack Knish while you were on the job?

Thanks Copper. The hoist was used in this instance. The Canadian Coast Guard did a wonderful job as well as Captain Hank Keijer who actually gave an extremely precise description over the ship's speakers of all of the events while they were taking place.

I made the comment that with HAL's demographic I didn't think any cruise line Captain's had more experience than those on HAL with medavac situations. I thought this was a factor that would hopefully offer a better chance for a positive outcome for the passenger.

I obviously don't have the inside knowledge that you do but I would think HAL would have either the most or nearly the most Medavacs of any cruise line.

By any remote possibility did you know a Jack Knish while you were on the job?

Thanks a bunch for the update/clarification, Laminator and I would have to agree with you re: the experience level!

The Canadian Forces SAR crews are as professional, well equipped and dedicated as the U.S. Coasties. They call their rescue swimmers, Search And Rescue Technicians or SAR Techs; those guys are studs!

No, sorry, do not know Jack Knish

Take care and be safe!

(***partial quote)

While I understand the message behind the quote, that seems a little cold and heartless to me.

I will be praying for this woman and her family.

PCL,

I think sail didn't mean for it to be cold/heartless, just putting a realistic view on the situation that things happen on board just like everywhere else. So often we think nothing negative'll happen while no vacation.

Not knowing the outcome I think the situation is a great example of something, to live life to its fullest extent as there are no Oracles who know their tomorrow. We could be struck down at any time, so don't let anything undone that you "must" do and don't let anything unsaid that should be known.

I hope for their best.

Derek

Yes, Derek.

That is/was my point.

I thought it was written clearly but apparently not.

Thanks for saying it better than I did.

I thought you said it just fine. The poster who flamed you removed your statement from the larger context which did express wishes for a good outcome.

The PAX was a mid 20's female who had a brain aneurysm while riding a treadmill in the gym. It is my understanding between the aneurysm and the fall from the treadmill she did not regain consciousness while on the ship.

It is my understanding that she was on the ship with her husband and 2 children. They disembarked in Juneau.

There was no further update on the PAX condition that was given as far as I know of.

Brain aneurysm's are very dangerous. This does not sound good.

Brain aneurysm's are very dangerous. This does not sound good.

Good to see the coordinated SAR effort, I worked with US NAVY/Coast Guard perfecting such operations as well as USAR. for LAFD..(I think John knows of them).

As mentioned the prognosis is not good I spent 30+ years in EMS/ALS in the field and clinical. In that course I experienced many aneurysms and disections of a vascular nature.

Not good with the mortality rate at 95%, only a skilled vascular surgeon has less than hour from onset for a window of sucess.

I lost a co-worker to this and he was IN a medical facility and still could not be saved even with immidiate intervention, all the bells and whistles.

One singular reason to treat every day as a gift from God, because it is.

PCL,

I think sail didn't mean for it to be cold/heartless, just putting a realistic view on the situation that things happen on board just like everywhere else. So often we think nothing negative'll happen while no vacation.

Not knowing the outcome I think the situation is a great example of something, to live life to its fullest extent as there are no Oracles who know their tomorrow. We could be struck down at any time, so don't let anything undone that you "must" do and don't let anything unsaid that should be known.

I hope for their best.

Derek

Thanks, Derek. I know it wasn't meant that way. It is just shocking to read something with that tone in the middle of a tragic event.

It's kindof like saying "$h*# happens.... Which is fine until it happens to you. No need to make a tragic event MORE traumatizing. It was not a "flame." it was an opinion.

Your thoughts were kind and thoughtful, Derek. I will continue to pray for this young woman and her family.

Laminator, Thanks for responding to Copper 10-8's question. Obviously I don't know the difference between a hoist cable and a ladder but it all looked scarey to me. Thanks everyone for responding to this post. I know it isn't any of our business but when you witness something of this nature you can"t help but wonder. I think the Captain did an excellent job with the whole evac, including giving everyone on board as much of an explanation as he could without disclosing confidential information.My good thoughts and prayers will be with this family for a long time.

Although the medical information is confidential, it is a point well-taken that numerous passengers who observed the event were traumatized by viewing such a tragedy, and quite understandably would want to know the outcome, hopefully learning that the young woman was making a recovery. No matter how slim the odds, certainly a young healthy woman in her 20's could have a better chance of survival than an elderly individual with other concomitant medical illnesses.

I am just off the Ryndam Aug 18 - 29, and on one of the shore excursions a passenger fell and hit her head, sustaining an intracranial bleed, and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency neurosurgery. This was a full charter cruise with Garrison Keillor of the radio show "Prairie Home Companion," so it was much more of an integrated community than the average cruise, as it was the sixth such cruise most of us had done together. Thus we were all very relieved to learn that the woman had undergone successful surgery and was expected to make a full recovery.

Mr. Keillor had the family's permission to disclose those details and were very glad that he did, and glad to hear good news.

Good to see the coordinated SAR effort, I worked with US NAVY/Coast Guard perfecting such operations as well as USAR. for LAFD..(I think John knows of them).

Yup, I heard of LAFD;) Worked with, and around, them for many years! Good guys, even though they spend a lot of time in their easy chairs in their stations (but that's an old cops vs firemen joke;)). Again, rescue/medevac ops like the one discussed here require teamwork, training and professionalism!

The attached YouTube video is of a similar medevac operation off Ryndam, in Alaska, on 21 JUN 10. This medevac involved a 38-yr old crew member of Ryndam.

The primary voice you hear on the video is of the helicopter flight mecahnic/hoist operator who, while hanging out the door, is relaying information (distance, position, directions, etc.) to the pilot flying the helicopter, who can't see what's happening below his aircraft and relies on the info provided by his flight mech..

The first thing that happens is the helo's Rescue-Swimmer (identified as "swimmer" by the flight mecahnic on the audio) getting lowered to Ryndam's bow via hoist cable. You don't see it on the video but the next thing lowered to the ship's bow is the litter/stokes basket. Once he receives the litter or basket, the Rescue Swimmer prepares the patient (he/she is put in the litter) and the litter with patient inside (identified as "survivor") is then hoisted up into the helo. Lastly, the Rescue Swimmer hooks up the ship's nurse/medcal officer onto the sling/harness that he's also attached to, and both are then hoisted into the helo (the nurse is basically 'hanging' in front of the Rescue Swimmer's chest and body).

Hats off to these crews, world wide, who frequently put their lives on the line in these rescues! Kudos also to the ship's crews (Captain/Bridge team/Deck Dept./Fire team/Medical Dept., etc.) who also train for these situations on a regular basis! Great teamwork!

Although the medical information is confidential, it is a point well-taken that numerous passengers who observed the event were traumatized by viewing such a tragedy, and quite understandably would want to know the outcome, hopefully learning that the young woman was making a recovery. No matter how slim the odds, certainly a young healthy woman in her 20's could have a better chance of survival than an elderly individual with other concomitant medical illnesses.

I am just off the Ryndam Aug 18 - 29, and on one of the shore excursions a passenger fell and hit her head, sustaining an intracranial bleed, and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency neurosurgery. This was a full charter cruise with Garrison Keillor of the radio show "Prairie Home Companion," so it was much more of an integrated community than the average cruise, as it was the sixth such cruise most of us had done together. Thus we were all very relieved to learn that the woman had undergone successful surgery and was expected to make a full recovery.

Mr. Keillor had the family's permission to disclose those details and were very glad that he did, and glad to hear good news.

Very glad that the woman who fell on your cruise and had to under go emergency surgery and is doing better.

We have been on quite a few cruises -- several different cruise lines -- when people had to be taken from the ship via helicopter for various reasons. Only a couple of times did captains come on later in the cruise and report on the passengers conditions. We even had a crew member who had to leave the ship and we got a report on him. I think it was nice of the families to release information and let many of who were concerned that all was well.

Female rescue swimmers

The Coast Guard and Navy are the only branches that allow women to serve as rescue swimmers. However, only three women are presently qualified in the Coast Guard, and women must meet the same physical, endurance, and performance standards as men in order to earn a qualification as a Coast Guard rescue swimmer. They, along with a few females who reportedly passed a modified selection course for the US Army's Delta Force during the 1990's and any who qualify as Navy divers, and EOD technicians, are currently the only women allowed in the United States military's Special Operations forces.

The first female Navy rescue swimmer was Catherine Elliott (Rizzo) HMC (AC) USN Ret. she was also the very first woman to graduate from Helicopter Anti-submarine Squadron in Jacksonville, Fl. and become a rescue swimmer on December 16, 1983. Elliott completed this grueling school and flew Search and Rescue missions up until her retirement in 1995. She received many awards for rescues and even completed one ground rescue while 3 months pregnant.[1]

The first female Coast Guard rescue swimmer was Kelly Mogk (later Larson), who joined the Coast Guard in 1984 and later became the first woman to complete Navy Rescue Swimmer School on May 23, 1986

All these operations are coordinated ..even far into the Oceans of the world by the AFRCC, the Airforce Rescue Coordination Center, and out of Hawaii tun by the Coast Guard. It functions to provide emergency action for any American needing help...almost world wide and at no cost to the victim or agency requesting the assistance.

How far will they go to help...maybe this operation that I observed will help you sleep at night.

A small sailing boat about 1000 miles south west of Honolulu with just a husband and wife aboard had an accident on board that caused the boat to take on water and seriously injure the husband with a life threatening condition. The wife gave a "mayday" call which was received at the RCC

A C-130 was launched out of Honolulu and a refueling tanker as well for the 4 hour+ one way flight. They located the boat and 2 para rescue medics parachuted into a black night and swam to the boat. A pump and salvage equipment was dropped as well, while the C130 orbited the site providing flare illumination and to relay radio transmisions. The para-rescue medics stabilized the man but he would require advanced medical treatment and fast. They also set up pumps to secure the boat. At this time a CH-53 helo is launched th the site. Due to its range limits it must be refueled several times by the tanker.

At the same time a mobil army field hospital team is mobilized in Hawaii and launched in another C130 to head to a remote Island that was only 200 miles away but had an air strip. There the set up a full scale operation suite. A US Navy destroyer now is near the area to take care of the sail boat and repair it so it can be sailed to a safe anchorage.

The CH 53 arrives around dawn and the patient is winched aboard and flown to the nearby atoll and the waiting Army doctors.. who 12 hours after being injured the husband undergoes full scale surgery that saves his life.

Then the C-130 with the mobil hospital the Parient and the PARA RESCUE MEN flys back to Honolulu and a Navy ambulance takes him to a civilian hospital

Overall 1 us Navy Destroyer, 2-C-130 aircraft, 2 -C-130 modified Tankers, 1- CH-53 helo, a 20 man army mobil field hospital with full equipment and 2-PJ Para Rescue jumpers with some guts. and 1 Navy ambulance....

Proably about $ 1,000,000 in fuel alone...nevermind the hourly cost

( a CH 53. helo cost about $5000 an hour ! then there are the 4 -C130 at about the same... medical suplies, doctors, nurses , support equipment

The Family was braced... but did not expect the final bill to be $ ZERO.

Its good to be an American in the greatest country in the world with the finest military.

The NAVY SAR motto says it all " So that others may Live".

So...sleep well to night... because they are out there 24/7, 365. for YOU

Archived