Cabin Stewards Time Off in Port

Vol fan

I have spoken to some of our cabin stewards who have never been on the islands (or country) the ship has stopped at many times. That is sad that they have never even been able to see the island except from the ship.

Maybe these stewards were in the minority and they are able to go ashore sometimes. I don't know. Does anyone know if cabin stewards are allowed time off to go ashore?

Normally there would be some sort of cost associated with a visit on shore such as transportation or even a soft drink. It may not seem much to those of us who are vacationing, but to someone who may be trying to support a family in a country far away, it may be too much.

Plus there is the matter of time. Time off to me means a whole day. I think that would be rare for ship's crew. I talked to a crew member a few weeks ago who had only two hours off and she chose to spend it at a beach within walking distance to the ship.

they all do get some time off as long as their work is done. How they chose to spend it is up to them. Many chose to stay on board and sleep. Many chose to go into the port as long as it is convenient and use the internet there, as it is less expensive than on the ship. It is their choice

I have spoken to some of our cabin stewards who have never been on the islands (or country) the ship has stopped at many times. That is sad that they have never even been able to see the island except from the ship.

Maybe these stewards were in the minority and they are able to go ashore sometimes. I don't know. Does anyone know if cabin stewards are allowed time off to go ashore?

Apart from the factors stated above in some countries they need to buy a visa too, which can be expensive for them.

they all do get some time off as long as their work is done. How they chose to spend it is up to them. Many chose to stay on board and sleep. Many chose to go into the port as long as it is convenient and use the internet there, as it is less expensive than on the ship. It is their choice

Last on the Equinox was told by cabin assistant that the steward agreed to stay and finish the rooms while the assistant had 4 or 5 hours off in port. Saw him in Cartagena Spain with some of his friends.

The dailies gave passengers the time they had to be back on the ship, but also noted the time that ship crew were to return.

Sorry to be "rude" but it really is no ones business what they do on their days off. Maybe they don't want to tell you. As someone that worked long hours/ weeks in ospitality or others, I resented people asking me what I was doing on my days off. How would you feel if they asked you. And by the way, there are specific regulations for cruise workers ... They some times work weeks in a row with x hours off.. But after that they are off or several weeks.

Please everyone, although it is the duty of the staff to be nice and assist you, they are not your buddies, think twice about what you ask them. Also keep in mind some cultures are much more closed about their personal lives

Same here. There was the intimation that the OP was grilling the crew members about their time off. Rather, I detected more than a little note of concern for them in her post (I guess I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt). I have found it to be the case that very often they start talking about this and similar topics themselves. I don't expect them to be my friends, but if they offer information like this in a conversation I certainly want to be friendly back.

Does anyone know if cabin stewards are allowed time off to go ashore?

In July we were on a Royal Caribbean ship in Newport, RI. Newport is a tender port. Our room steward mentioned he had hoped to go ashore but it's hard in a tender port, crew has to wait until all the passengers that want to go ashore have done so.

The crew, including cabin stewards are on a rota for their role in an emergency procedure which may occur in port so they can't all go ashore.

We were told they all look forward to St Maarten and also, when we overnighted in Barbados the crew were still getting off the ship at midnight to go out on the town. It's a pleasure to see them getting time off to have fun.

There have been plenty of times, for example, my cabin attendant

will ask if I am going on shore....and in turn, I wil ask if they are able

to get off the ship as well. It is friendly conversation and personally,

I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Sometimes they do get a few hours off...sometimes they go into port,

sometimes they sleep the time off......just depends.

I know in the Caribbean there are plenty of places I have seen crew

who are out together enjoying themselves. Definitely a bit of relaxtion

from working many hard hours.

The Entertainment and Cruise Director staff is usually seen around and about in the ports-but the waiters, waitress, cabin attendents, I have usually only seen off the ship using the phone (before internet) or the internet (recent cruises).

I agree they would rather sleep if they have the afternoon off than tour.

Same here. There was the intimation that the OP was grilling the crew members about their time off. Rather, I detected more than a little note of concern for them in her post (I guess I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt). I have found it to be the case that very often they start talking about this and similar topics themselves. I don't expect them to be my friends, but if they offer information like this in a conversation I certainly want to be friendly back.

That is exactly the case, phoenix_dream. I definitely don't grill anyone about their time off. Various persons had just asked what we were doing in port and wistfully mentioned that they wished they were able to go ashore.

Many years ago we cruised Sitmar. Now that was a cruise line.

We were a group of eight. We were a loud, happy group.

Other cruisers stopped us in the corridors and said they had

heard about us in the other dining room and wanted to come sit

with us.

Our waiter and his assistant were part of that happy group.

Telling jokes and treating us like family. Since their families were

so far away.

One morning at breakfast we were discussing going into Mazatlan.

We planned to stop by Senor Frogs on our way back to the ship.

The assistant waiter was waiting for us at Senor Frogs when we

arrived. He was very concerned for our safety and wanted to be

sure we got back to the ship. He stayed all afternoon and kept

track of us like he was our concerned older brother. He loaded us

into a cab and made sure we were back on the ship in time.

I know times have changed and this probably would not happen

now.

It left a lasting impression on us though.

Holly

They would not have much time at most ports so maybe they decided not to go ashore. I have run into my cabin stewards onshore a few times. Particularly in Bermuda where the ships overnight I have seen cabin stewards on shore. Once at the library in Hamilton in the evening where we were both using the free internet and at the White Horse Tavern in St. George about 1:30 am he was dancing. I have also seen one of my cabin stewards on the street in Phillipsburg St. Martin.

I don't know about Celebrity specifically, but for RCCL I do know the wait staff can leave the ship in port. On our last cruise on Navigator, we ran into our waiter leaving the ship in San Juan when we were leaving. He said, they are allowed off if they don't have to do lunch service. They have an earlier return time. In fact I seem to recall seeing a sign that had two times on it 1) for passengers to return and 2) an earlier time for the ship staff. I don't know about the Cabin Stewards, but I would think if they finished their cabins, they would be able to use the free time as they want to until later in the afternoon.

Although some may be time off, they have to stay on board - its called Port Manning and ensures there is sufficient cover on ship should an emergency arise, so they can sleep, relax whatever during this offtime but cannot go ashore. As others have said, crew do also get time ashore if they want and there are crew only excursions which are often used as rewards for crew who get good feedback - another reason to use the Attention to Detail forms!!

Firstly, for those who took my posting personally, it was a reply to the original question and in the original post there was no statement that the crew member voluntarily offered the information, my point is they may take care of you and go out of heir way but they are not your buddies. Be considerate of their privacy and their culture.

Secondly, they do not have to stay on board if they are "off". If they are scheduled to work in their area or another area or part of a minimum number of crew that have to stay onboard while on port they are on duty, working and yes of course they can't just get off. They are under contract and have a schedule, but they are not prisoners.

It really gets my goat when people make presumptions about staff, are not sensitive to their privacy and spread incorrect information.

...my point is they may take care of you and go out of heir way but they are not your buddies. Be considerate of their privacy and their culture.

Secondly, they do not have to stay on board if they are "off". If they are scheduled to work in their area or another area or part of a minimum number of crew that have to stay onboard while on port they are on duty, working and yes of course they can't just get off. They are under contract and have a schedule, but they are not prisoners.

It really gets my goat when people make presumptions about staff, are not sensitive to their privacy and spread incorrect information.

Spot on.

I also wonder how many are as concerned about the hotel 'help' and the lady that cleans their rooms for days on end, that may have two jobs working 18 hour days, and trying to feed kids at home. Do they socialize with the cleaning ladies at the Hyatt, Hilton, or Intercontinental, ask how they spend their off time and where they are from? Buy them little gifts? Even bother to leave a tip at all? :rolleyes:

Archived