10 Suites gone overnight

BarbaraP

Every week as we approached the next sailing date, I was copied on emails with last minute fire sale offers to favorite travel agents,

so... BruceMuzz... sounds like you have an inside track on info... WHO are these favorite travel agents?? I know you can't provide names, but do they vary from time to time... or the same high volume TAs??

Can a person call PRINCESS and be put on a HOT LIST??

by the way... I am over 8, and am really sorry to hear about the UpGrade Fairy!! i'm not sure why my wife has been keeping that bit of news from me... :cool:

I would love to be offered an upsell... I am sitting on an AE GTY right now and there are lots of suites open on our sailing. I have yet to get an upsell call OR a Meta- upgrade. We will just have to wait and see...:)

If you get that Meta Upgrade, you might need some counseling.....:D:D:D

Bob

Complicating all this is that I believe cruise lines cannot sell cabins the last 24 hours due to the post 911 passenger manifest that must be turned in at the 24 hour mark prior to sailing. So new passengers cannot be added to the roster after about 5pm the day prior to sailing. That means upgrades for last minute cancellations that occur the day of sailing but no new sales are possible.

At least that is what I have been told as a TA.

Katherine

Complicating all this is that I believe cruise lines cannot sell cabins the last 24 hours due to the post 911 passenger manifest that must be turned in at the 24 hour mark prior to sailing. So new passengers cannot be added to the roster after about 5pm the day prior to sailing. That means upgrades for last minute cancellations that occur the day of sailing but no new sales are possible.

At least that is what I have been told as a TA.

Katherine

It is my understanding that the list must be turned over to Homeland Security two hours before sailing. That is why passengers who did not fill out the personalizer and show up at the pier after that time will be denied boarding.

It is my understanding that the list must be turned over to Homeland Security two hours before sailing. That is why passengers who did not fill out the personalizer and show up at the pier after that time will be denied boarding.
Bill, I believe it's 60 minutes before sailing and cruise lines bump that up to 90 minutes to make sure passengers check in on time. You'd be surprised at how many people think you can show up minutes before sailing (my nephew included.) If there is a manifest change, the ship must submit a new manifest and it cannot sail until 60 minutes after that. At least, that's my understanding. :) My nephew showed up just before 3pm for a 4pm sailing last year and almost wasn't allowed to board. And he's Platinum. Go figure.

We are booked on the Oct. 10th r/t Hawaii cruise in 3 weeks. Yesterday there were still 10 full suites left onboard and today they are "SOLD OUT". How can that happen?:confused:

Even though the suites do not have a GTY available now they may have when the bookings opened over a year ago. Those GTy may be getting assigned now.

I would check again Monday morning and I bet a number of those suites are available again.

I have found on some weekends in the past inventory disappears only to reappear a day or two later.

Still watching....................nothing yet:( It's funny there still are suites available for the cruise before ours.

Princess Cruise Line regularly markets their product to several BILLION people around the world, but their ships can carry only 50,000 people per week. That's only .0001% of the potential market.

Every Princess cabin is sold an average of 8 times before every cruise. With about 25,000 cabins in the fleet, that comes to 200,000 cabins actually sold every week.

If you work out the math, that's one sale every 3 seconds - around the clock.

You should be more surprised that there were even 10 suites left so close to sailing.

All Carnival Brands now have an internal policy requiring ALL cabins sold before a ship sails.

You should be even more surprised that it took them an entire day to sell 10 suites on a popular itinerary.

This math is not accurate. There are less than 7 billion people alive and less than 1 in 1000 can afford to go on a cruise.

How can they sell a cabin 8 times for each cruise?

a) Someone books it and then cancels, so it is sold again

b) repeat "a" several times

c) Someone books it and is upgraded to a different cabin so it can be sold again

Part A is possible. But do people really book and then refund 8 times as often as they book and follow through. Please post your source.

Part B is just listing the previous possibility again. It is not a new or different scenario.

Part C means that the cabin the person is being upgrade in to gets sold zero times so it does not increase the ratio at all.

This math is not accurate. There are less than 7 billion people alive and less than 1 in 1000 can afford to go on a cruise.

How can they sell a cabin 8 times for each cruise?

You know, I essentially posted the same last night and my post was deleted. This Brucemuzz person has a long standing history of posting whatever he wants with impunity, but if one of us decides to call him out on his BS, we get deleted or reprimanded. Several months back I asked the mods to delete a post he made stating that most North Americans cannot pass a drug test for cruise line employment. I was ignored and his BS post still stands. I just don't get it. Scroll down to post #8

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581858&highlight=north+american+cannot+pass+drug+test

Part A is possible. But do people really book and then refund 8 times as often as they book and follow through. Please post your source.

Part B is just listing the previous possibility again. It is not a new or different scenario.

Part C means that the cabin the person is being upgrade in to gets sold zero times so it does not increase the ratio at all.

Every time you see a cabin suddenly appear in a sold out category, someone has cancelled or been upgraded. That cabin is resold.

And cancellations and reselling occur without a category ever have been sold out so you cannot tell it is happening.

I have been reassigned a cabin multiple times for a voyage. Each time, the original cabin is available to sell again.

You will often see posters on Cruise Critic saying they have booked two or more cruises for the same time and will end up deciding which one to take later. The others go back to inventory to be resold.

As far as the turnover number of 8, I have no source other than other Cruise Critic posters who have given their relaiable sources.

Every time you see a cabin suddenly appear in a sold out category, someone has cancelled or been upgraded. That cabin is resold.

And cancellations and reselling occur without a category ever have been sold out so you cannot tell it is happening.

I have been reassigned a cabin multiple times for a voyage. Each time, the original cabin is available to sell again.

You will often see posters on Cruise Critic saying they have booked two or more cruises for the same time and will end up deciding which one to take later. The others go back to inventory to be resold.

As far as the turnover number of 8, I have no source other than other Cruise Critic posters who have given their relaiable sources.

As I pointed out before, being upgraded does not increase the ratio of sold cabins. Yes, they sell your old cabin a second time. However, the cabin you are moving into is now occupied and it was sold zero times. It is still two cabins and two sales.

I have heard of people booking two cruises and then cancelling one. I don’t recall of anyone booking eight cruises and cancelling seven, which is what would be needed to make the ratio 8:1. If the 8:1 ratio is correct this means that each time someone books 2 and cancels 1 some other guy has to book 14 cruises and cancel 13. (14 + 2 : 1+1 = 16 : 2 = 8 : 1).

And you really can’t trust the people on here when it comes to their reliable sources. All the information is hearsay which is widely accepted as having a low degree of reliability. And in this situation it is double hearsay which is far worse.

Just because people keep repeating the same thing over and over it does not make it true.

I have no idea what the true number is. I don't believe it is 8. That is why I am asking where that information comes from.

I was upgraded from an AD mini to a VS 5 days before my 9-1 Alaska cruise on the Diamond.i wanted a covered balcony, so I had a do not upgrade up till a week and a half before the cruise. I read about the META upgrade on CC and had my TA change my booking to META upgrade only. Neither my TA or the Princess rep had heard of it. At that time all the suites were gone as we're the minisuites so I was shocked when I went online the Monday before my Sat cruise and saw my upgrade. I assume they needed my mini for someone with a mini qurantee. We met another couple who were upgraded fom a mini to a PH suite. This was my 6th cruise with Princess. I felt a little quilty when I saw I sign on a minisuite door congratulations on your 50 cruise. I thought they should have gotten the suite upgrade. Hopefully they were upgraded to the mini. This is our 2nd upgrade on Princess. We have never been upgraded on any other lines.

As I pointed out before, being upgraded does not increase the ratio of sold cabins. Yes, they sell your old cabin a second time. However, the cabin you are moving into is now occupied and it was sold zero times. It is still two cabins and two sales.

I have heard of people booking two cruises and then cancelling one. I don’t recall of anyone booking eight cruises and cancelling seven, which is what would be needed to make the ratio 8:1. If the 8:1 ratio is correct this means that each time someone books 2 and cancels 1 some other guy has to book 14 cruises and cancel 13. (14 + 2 : 1+1 = 16 : 2 = 8 : 1).

And you really can’t trust the people on here when it comes to their reliable sources. All the information is hearsay which is widely accepted as having a low degree of reliability. And in this situation it is double hearsay which is far worse.

Just because people keep repeating the same thing over and over it does not make it true.

I have no idea what the true number is. I don't believe it is 8. That is why I am asking where that information comes from.

You've never put a hold on a cabin and then not booked? Even just to see if the cabin is available? I do it all the time. And what difference does it make if it's 8 times or 3 times or 15 times? Just assume that cabins turn over constantly. I've never seen someone work so hard at being a contrarian.

You've never put a hold on a cabin and then not booked? Even just to see if the cabin is available? I do it all the time. And what difference does it make if it's 8 times or 3 times or 15 times? Just assume that cabins turn over constantly. I've never seen someone work so hard at being a contrarian.

We were talking about purchases, not holding a cabin.

It really is not the number. I just annoyed with all these people who come here and post these so called facts which have no source.

Archived