A New Letter?

Orator

Just received a form letter under Michael Bayle's signature thanking DW and I for cruising on the Solstice and wishing us a good cruise on the Silhouette. This seems to be part of what I see as a new effort to maintain contact with past passengers. I see this as another step in attempting to more personalize the line. This appears to me to be a significant change in PR and marketing efforts since the promotion of Bayle to CEO. Any thoughts?

It has been a change to receive "letters" from the new boss but there is no way to connect through the automatic reply system to Mr Bayley. In the past one could send a letter to Mr Hanrahan and get a non standard reply. I feel that the new system goes straight to a cyberspace dumpster.

It has been a change to receive "letters" from the new boss but there is no way to connect through the automatic reply system to Mr Bayley. In the past one could send a letter to Mr Hanrahan and get a non standard reply. I feel that the new system goes straight to a cyberspace dumpster.

Hi Arno:

This was a snail mail form type letter. Interesting to see how frequently they are received. You should get a ton of them :) It call also be quite random like those follow-up phone calls. Whatever the case might be it does seem to reflect a new strategy.

Just received a form letter under Michael Bayle's signature thanking DW and I for cruising on the Solstice and wishing us a good cruise on the Silhouette. This seems to be part of what I see as a new effort to maintain contact with past passengers. I see this as another step in attempting to more personalize the line. This appears to me to be a significant change in PR and marketing efforts since the promotion of Bayle to CEO. Any thoughts?

Never confuse the schmooze with an apparent personal touch. They just want you to spend more money. Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but I think I am being realistic.

Phil

Never confuse the schmooze with an apparent personal touch. They just want you to spend more money. Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but I think I am being realistic.

Phil

That is clearly the intent. They are just trying to, as Sears used to say: "Show a softer side". It is definately a soft sell strategy.

As an anti-cynic example I'll give you one from May on Eclipse. The pantry maid who delivered my breakfast looked familiar. Before I had a chance she said "Haven't we met before? Weren't you on Solstice last year? I looked after your cabin then and brought you breakfast. You like the smoothies, don't you?". Now that is the personal touch. This really makes an impression on me much more than an email from the marketing department at Head Office.

Phil

We just got a "soft side" phone call asking if there was anything they could do for us on our cruise next month. We said...send baggage tags. Anyone want to wager on whether we get any??

Did you book with Celebrity directly? It would be interesting if passengers that booked with a TA received a courtesy call. I'm sailing on the Millennium in 3 weeks on a Panama canal cruise, no phone call yet!

Did you book with Celebrity directly? It would be interesting if passengers that booked with a TA received a courtesy call. I'm sailing on the Millennium in 3 weeks on a Panama canal cruise, no phone call yet!

I've received that type of call before. The thrust of the call is to try to upsell Spa, Dinners, etc.. Very low pressure. I booked with a TA and onboard when I've received this type of call. Seems quite random.

Hi Arno:

This was a snail mail form type letter. Interesting to see how frequently they are received. You should get a ton of them :) It call also be quite random like those follow-up phone calls. Whatever the case might be it does seem to reflect a new strategy.

We have received follow-up phone calls from corporate in connection with our comments on the Guest Questionnaires that are handed in at the end of the cruise. The last time, I was asked for more details on my comment about poor service. I usually fill all available space with thank yous/ ideas for improvement, etc.

I rarely ignore the Detail to Attention card that arrives in the cabin part-way thru the cruise. There is always some response from Guest Relations on this one even if it is to say, "Thank you for filling the card out. We are glad you are enjoying yourselves!" These are an excellent way to clear up any concerns before they reach the final comment form.

We have received follow-up phone calls from corporate in connection with our comments on the Guest Questionnaires that are handed in at the end of the cruise. The last time, I was asked for more details on my comment about poor service. I usually fill all available space with thank yous/ ideas for improvement, etc.

I rarely ignore the Detail to Attention card that arrives in the cabin part-way thru the cruise. There is always some response from Guest Relations on this one even if it is to say, "Thank you for filling the card out. We are glad you are enjoying yourselves!" These are an excellent way to clear up any concerns before they reach the final comment form.

Just to note: The Attention to Detail card is extremely important to staff. I always use the card to cite outstanding service. Positive comment cards are frequently posted on the Staff Bulletin Board.

FLASH:

Today must be mail day. Just received an e-mail from Kara Frank, Executive Loyalty Consultant Trade Support and Service Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club. Letter written in behalf of Michael Baley and is a response to the e-mail sent to mr. Bayle. This letter details what I said and her responses. Don't want to give out too many details since I view the content as private, but she does indicate that suggestions to increase internet minutes and more laundry benefits are helpful. Seems that Celebrity is serious about responding to e-mails sent to Michael Bayle.

As an anti-cynic example I'll give you one from May on Eclipse. The pantry maid who delivered my breakfast looked familiar. Before I had a chance she said "Haven't we met before? Weren't you on Solstice last year? I looked after your cabin then and brought you breakfast. You like the smoothies, don't you?". Now that is the personal touch. This really makes an impression on me much more than an email from the marketing department at Head Office.

Phil

We had a similar-ish experience on NCL once. We always put a regular room service order out on our door for first thing in the morning as a wake up call. On the second day of our second cruise we got a phone call from room service asking if we wanted our usual order because we forgot to put out the card on our door the previous night.

Presumably our details had come over from the first cruise (on a different ship) and someone was on-the-ball in terms of customer service. A small thing in itself but one that leaves a lasting impression.

Phil

Phil

Yes, I agree. It is amazing the memories that some of the crew have. I have often wondered if they have some help from technology but with Celebrity's record on that front, it is unlikely to work!

Perhaps I am agreeing with you, though, because we never seem to get the letters/emails/spontaneous phone calls here in the UK. [i say spontaneous because we have received phone calls [b]after[/b] sending written feedback following a cruise.]

Sue

I'm seeing a bit of cynicism on this thread, and I understand why, but I'd like to give Michael Bailey and team a fair shot before coming to any conclusions.

I'm seeing a real attempt at trying to follow through here, and I'd like them to feel that their efforts at connecting with this forum are appreciated.

It was nice of the Social Media manager (Brian?) to post that the Celebrity website was down for maintenance tonight. Saved me some time in trying to figure out why I had a blank screen when trying to log into Celebrity. :)

We had a similar-ish experience on NCL once. We always put a regular room service order out on our door for first thing in the morning as a wake up call. On the second day of our second cruise we got a phone call from room service asking if we wanted our usual order because we forgot to put out the card on our door the previous night.

Very similar thing with this particular crew member. On the previous trip I always put the breakfast card out with a request for a smoothie and on one occasion forgot to tick it. She brought me one anyway and said she guessed I'd want one. That was pretty good, but to remember me on a cruise a year later was impressive. I'm not that good looking! LOL

I'm seeing a bit of cynicism on this thread, and I understand why, but I'd like to give Michael Bailey and team a fair shot before coming to any conclusions.

I'm seeing a real attempt at trying to follow through here, and I'd like them to feel that their efforts at connecting with this forum are appreciated.

It was nice of the Social Media manager (Brian?) to post that the Celebrity website was down for maintenance tonight. Saved me some time in trying to figure out why I had a blank screen when trying to log into Celebrity. :)

You are right. Perhaps I am being too cynical. I guess I'm just trying to be realistic about how truly "important" we are when we get those mailshots. I love the service on Celebrity and examples like the one I gave above are those that really stand out for me because there is no inducement behind it. That sort of thing is really personal.

Phil

Hi Elena:)...I don't believe Brian is the person who posted

about the website going down. He got a new screen name and

is actually on his way to Reflection.......

See this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1705579&highlight=brian

Anyway, some of the website might be changed but I still can't

understand why finding different cabins is not available:rolleyes:.....

That particular item? Hasn't worked for what is at least a year,

if not 2.

As reading a cynical tone in this thread? No doubt.......

Phil

We had the same thing in the MDR years ago. It was so nice to be noticed by your waiter from 3 years before.

I did get a letter from someone thanking us for cruising on Celebrity in June 2012 and acknowledging our next cruise. I'll have to pay more attention to the letter I get after our next cruise in 12 days. See if they mention our Jan 2013 cruise. Richard

Wow...5 cruises taken on Celebrity so far, and I have yet to get this card mid-cruise.:eek:

I've never received one in the cabin. They are freely available at Guest Relations. I always stop by and pick up a supply at the beginning of the cruise so I'll have some handy when I want to mention a great crew member.

Archived