Turkey sausage and egg whites?

kimmi5207

My next cruise is on the Oasis next year (not sure if it's in my signature). Is there an option for turkey sausage or egg whites on the cruise, perhaps in the main dining room?

I am unable to eat any grains (wheat, barley, rye, corn, rice), nor egg yolks or pork. So no bread, grits, omelets, bacon, cereal, anything breaded, etc. - that doesn't leave a lot of breakfast options. Gluten free doesn't work because usually rice or corn is substituted as a grain.

I'm hoping by the time of the cruise I can try to reintroduce some of these foods with no reactions but I'm trying to make other plans.

I know fruit is always am option but I really prefer hot breakfasts. But if there aren't any other options, it won't be the end of the world!

Thanks

Turkey sausage is available at the Solarium and the Windjammer for breakfast, not sure about the MDR since I never went but I'm sure it's available. As for egg whites, I've never ordered egg whites. I'm not a fan of yolk so when I get eggs, I usually get the already made over easy eggs and just eat the white portion. Worked for me!

I think the egg whites come from a box, not a fresh cracked egg, so you would have to check what other ingredients may be in the box. Not to mention what they put on the griddle to cook the egg (probably a spray of unknown origin). And you should ask about the turkey sausage too. Who knows what else is in there besides turkey?

They usually have gluten free bread on board, but I can't vouch for the quality. I usually get a few hard cooked eggs, either in the WJ or MDR, and separate the yolk from the white myself. This way I know what I'm eating.

All that being said, and hoping I didn't scare you from taking your cruise, I have found the MDR staff to be exceedingly helpful in providing you with alternatives for a special diet. You should contact ship services to alert them in advance that you will need a special menu.

Have a great cruise.

On boarding day, go to the dining room as soon as you can (before the drill) and seek out a head waiter. Explain to him/her your needs. Ask as many questions as you like, they will try to accommodate you.

Johnny Rockets has a nice diner type breakfast on Oasis, and it's a no charge deal. Also ask there what they have to offer.

Enjoy Oasis!!!

Rick and Deirdra

I am on a similar diet (no carbs and no pork). On Majesty last week they had turkey sausage links and scrambled egg whites every day in the Windjammer, so I guess most ships will have the same. There were also hard boiled eggs, sauteed mushrooms, and stir-fried vegetables. If you decide to eat cold stuff too there was yogurt, fresh fruit, smoked salmon with all the trimmings, and sliced cheese. Have a great cruise!:)

The one thing you absolutely NEED to do is email special needs at RCCL. That way, they have a record of what your dietary needs are and will be more prepared to meet them. Starting the first night, someone will meet with you to go over the next day's menu and you can preorder your next evening meal for the dining room.

I do know they have turkey sausage and you can get egg whites at the buffet.....you can even have an egg white omelette if you desire.......just go to the omelette station and make your request as they are made to order.

I'll be heading out on the Oasis myself in January and understand that there is a Bistro up in the Solarium which has limited selections available at breakfast, but that this is the "healthy alternative" place on the ship and that they have turkey bacon available at breakfast. I would also assume that they would have egg whites available, or maybe egg substitute, which is mainly egg whites with coloring and flavoring added.

Every RCI cruise that I have ever been on has turkey sausage available in the Windjammer for breakfast and I find it tastier than the "brown and serve" type regular pork sausage that is offered.

You don't mention oats as one of the grains you can't eat - can you eat oatmeal? Really liked the oatmeal in the Windjammer, especially with a touch of brown sugar or honey, raisins, etc. Even found some dried cranberries one day and some nuts to put in it - very tasty and healthful!

• 5 years later...

I know that this post is really old so I hope someone sees this...I am going on my very first cruise on the Freedom of the Seas on May 6th, and I was wondering if anyone knows if turkey bacon and or turkey sausage are an option on that ship. My family does not eat pork and I was hoping that we would have some other options. I called the access department as recommended by RCI and they didn’t have an answer. Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance!

I know that this post is really old so I hope someone sees this...I am going on my very first cruise on the Freedom of the Seas on May 6th, and I was wondering if anyone knows if turkey bacon and or turkey sausage are an option on that ship. My family does not eat pork and I was hoping that we would have some other options. I called the access department as recommended by RCI and they didn’t have an answer. Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance!

Was on Freedom mid Feb thru beginning of March. No turkey bacon or sausage. Chicken sausage seems to be the norm for about 1 1/2 years now. Occasionally, turkey sausage can be found in the MDR on some ships.

Chicken sausage has replaced Turkey sausage for the past few years on multiple sailings we have been on including just off Freedom. (I prefer Turkey Sausage.) Can always get egg white omelette in Windjammer. Not sure if they have on menu in MDR at breakfast. Egg white omelette also available on ships with Solarium restaurant.

Chicken sausage has replaced Turkey sausage for the past few years on multiple sailings we have been on including just off Freedom. (I prefer Turkey Sausage.) Can always get egg white omelette in Windjammer. Not sure if they have on menu in MDR at breakfast. Egg white omelette also available on ships with Solarium restaurant.

I prefer it too. Thank you for getting back to me.