How good is the CD? Wanted John got Butch

granni10

John is overrated ,

I sailed with him before ,you will only see him on the TV, shows, and maybe at captains evening

As the great man himself said, he is fat, well, he calls himself that, i will never say that, and walking is difficult or hard.......

and everything is Brilliant, apart from walking, or anything involving exercise...

So, be glad you got Butch....

Keep in mind that John is a Carnival spokesperson, which doesn't necessarily translate into being the best CD out there. Although I'm sure he does a great job, I think he's overhyped.

Butch is an awesome CD! In all of our Carnival cruises, he's definitely one of the best. We've seen him grow from an assistant back in 2005 in the Liberty, to the CD on the Dream in 2011. Great personality, great energy. Very hands on and visible. Prefect mix of goofiness and professionalism. Friendly and down to earth. He was the last person we saw as we debarked on the last day. Nice touch to be right at the gangway to wave us goodbye. BTW, don't let the name "Butch" fool you. He's far from it! Ha!

As someone mentioned above, I've never had a bad cruise because of the CD. Some do tend to be a bit more annoying than others (ahem! Jen), but they dont affect my overall enjoyment of the cruise.

We had John for one of our 4 cruises and in our opinion he was the most memorable and hilarious of them all. Jen was our first, John 2nd, Filipe 3rd and Karl with a K recently on the Liberty. We really liked Karl too. He had fantastic energy and involvement. I hear we have Butch on our upcoming Breeze cruise and that he is great too. No matter what we will have a great one I'm sure.

A good CD won't necessarily make a cruise, but a truly awful CD (think Jeff Bronson or Sparkle) can definitely ruin it.

The thing about JH is that he can take 30-year old material, and make it sound as if you're hearing it for the very first time. His timing and delivery is impeccable.

On the inaugural of the Breeze, we had both John and Butch on board. Obviously, since John was the CD, he ran all of the shows as well as other CD duties. Butch ran the Hasbro shows. John is much funnier but Butch is more high energy and visible. John is more of a celebrity and it is my opinion that all of the facebooking and blogging keeps him out of the public eye more (which is fine since he is in his underpants).

We have Butch on the 12/16 of the Breeze and though a little disappointed not having John, Butch will be great.

A good CD won't necessarily make a cruise, but a truly awful CD (think Jeff Bronson or Sparkle) can definitely ruin it.

The thing about JH is that he can take 30-year old material, and make it sound as if you're hearing it for the very first time. His timing and delivery is impeccable.

I think Jeff Bronson is the CD for my next two cruises on the Elation. The last cruise was with a with a fill in who wasn't particularly good. My favorite CD's are Tex and Risa. Both have been great representatives for CCL.

My one cruise with Butch was a few years back. I thought he was good and I am guess JH has mentored him.

Butch is our favorite CD. We also like Jeff Bronson. Honestly, we never paid much attention to who the CD was until we had Butch. He is very funny and energetic. Whomever the CD is truly doesn't matter to us. Having said that, since having Butch as a CD, we have always compared the cruise directors on all of our subsequent cruises to him (just for fun) to see how they rate. So far, Butch is king!

We had John for one of our 4 cruises and in our opinion he was the most memorable and hilarious of them all. Jen was our first, John 2nd, Filipe 3rd and Karl with a K recently on the Liberty. We really liked Karl too. He had fantastic energy and involvement. I hear we have Butch on our upcoming Breeze cruise and that he is great too. No matter what we will have a great one I'm sure.

We really liked Karl with a K too!

Isn't it interesting how we can all have different opinions about the same person...;) I love cruising with John Heald and think he's the greatest CD. Alot of people really like Butch but I've sailed with him twice and really didn't care for him. Like others have said, the CD shouldn't make or break your cruise.

We were on the Liberty last year and we had Butch, and his sidekick Amy. We LOVED him, he was so funny, enthusiastic and a treat to listen to, he'd tell us EVERYTHING, including the fact that he was FINALLY getting off the boat in Miami to quick call his parents and get a haircut! LOL!

We had Butch recently and thought he was ok.

Last few cruises we had seen the shows before and didnt go, so very little contact with CD and that was fine dont need him to have a great cruise

Tend to agree. Our thoughts of him are the same .....ok. He is certainly the most visable of any CD we have ever had, if that means something to you (not to us). He certainly has great stamina.

On the inaugural of the Breeze, we had both John and Butch on board. Obviously, since John was the CD, he ran all of the shows as well as other CD duties. Butch ran the Hasbro shows. John is much funnier but Butch is more high energy and visible. John is more of a celebrity and it is my opinion that all of the facebooking and blogging keeps him out of the public eye more (which is fine since he is in his underpants).

We have Butch on the 12/16 of the Breeze and though a little disappointed not having John, Butch will be great.

Seem to be the next heir apparent. Thought that was reserved for Todd, but who knows anymore....

We had Karl with a K on our Liberty cruise last month. LOVED LOVED LOVED him. Very nice guy (spoke with him a few times). We're planning a cruise on the Dream next year so I wonder who will be CD. Then again we may just do the Liberty again (and hope to get Karl again).

I have never had John as a CD. I was hoping we would when we sail the Breeze

in Feb. I believe we have Butch. I was hoping for John because

I follow him on FB and his Blog.

I have sailed and had Butch last year, as well as Jen. Both

were so nice and funny. Jen had this really great out

going personality. Spoke to us everytime she saw us.

Butch was just down right funny. We know its going

to be fun!

I have to really add tho my favorite CD ever...Stu!

I would love to sail with him again 1 day. He was

the best of the best to me!

We were supposed to have John on our Fantasy cruise (it was the ship's 3rd cruise) and ended up having a guy named Hennie who was in training. I was kinda disappointed to have Hennie- he also made way too many announcements over the PA system and was just overall annoying. I never saw him and supposedly John H. hosted one show but I guess I didn't see that either, hmm...

The best CD we had was Brent on the Destiny :).

Archived