Passports

pegdave

For US citizens on a "closed loop" cruise, you don't need a passport at all...just your DL and BC.

A passport card will suffice as photo ID, but it will not allow you to fly from country to country.....it's as useless as a BC should you need to fly home. That said.....eventually, you WILL get home....no other country will allow you to stay!

Are you returning to Miami? If so, all you need is a birth certificate and photo ID. And yes, the passport card is good also. But if you don't return to Miami, you'll need a passport.

Yes, ^^ that.

That's not quite true. The use of passport cards (and enhanced drivers licenses) is not limited to closed loop cruises. They may be used for certain open jaw Western Hemisphere cruises because Aruba (plus Bonaire and Curacao) qualify both as WHTI-included countries and as distant foreign ports under the PVSA. For example you can use a passport card or EDL on a repositioning cruise that originates in NY City, visits a number of Caribbean islands including Aruba, and ends in Miami.

The use of a birth certificate and photo ID is, however, limited to closed loop cruises.

Yes returning to Miami. I thought we were ok, but then starting reading things on NCL site that confused me.

thanks for info

When in doubt - get the passport.

Hopefully you have time to do this before your cruise.

Otherwise, to be on the safe side, I would take the passport card, an official raised seal birth certificate and of course your driver's license.

When in doubt - get the passport. Or Read the WHTI rules for closed loop cruises:rolleyes:.

Hopefully you have time to do this before your cruise.

Otherwise, to be on the safe side, I would take the passport card, an official raised seal birth certificate and of course your driver's license.

OP a Passport Card is all you need....you do not need your Birth Certificate or DL with a passport card. The reason some people have doubts is because some posters don't know the WHTI rules and confuse them by telling them they need things that they don't. A passport may be needed on the extremely slim chance that something happens...but that is rare and you will not be left stranded on foreign soil without a way to get home.

Archived