silhouette to egypt-on board now

markf

I am writing on board the silhouette--just left Egypt yesterday--have no fears and take the trip--the ship has it well organized--while it is a long trip to Cairo -it is worth the effort it is a 3 hour drive with traffic--each bus had a guard on it --but we felt safe

I will try and check in next day or so otherwise be home Friday.. it has been a wonderful cruise

I am writing on board the silhouette--just left Egypt yesterday--have no fears and take the trip--the ship has it well organized--while it is a long trip to Cairo -it is worth the effort it is a 3 hour drive with traffic--each bus had a guard on it --but we felt safe

I will try and check in next day or so otherwise be home Friday.. it has been a wonderful cruise

Thanks for the report. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Could you do me a a favor? I believe that Donette is currently on as Captain's Club Hostess. Could you please ask her if she will be on for the November 17th cruise and the TA that follows.

Thanks for the update Mark. Glad it is going well. Enjoy the rest.

Can you tell me if the swimming pools on the ship are heated? Thx!

Thanks for the report. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.

Could you do me a a favor? I believe that Donette is currently on as Captain's Club Hostess. Could you please ask her if she will be on for the November 17th cruise and the TA that follows.

In case the op does not check back, I will be happy to check for you. Boarding in 3 days. :D

Anne

In case the op does not check back, I will be happy to check for you. Boarding in 3 days. :D

Anne

Thanks Anne:

Cemal should still be the RM. Convey my best to him and Donette if you can. Have a wonderful cruise. Cyndee and I look forward to cruise with you again.

Charles

Sorry, one guard on a bus. That is not much security.

The weather has been superb this week --No rain -temp 75-80 degrees every day and the seas calm i do not think the pool water is heated but there is an indoor pool

.I will say I think the decision to go to Egypt is constantly under review and I think the Captain of the vessel is glad we left the port, and all is safe . I think there is extra security on the ship and in general the people of Alexandria and Cairo were happy to see tour buses. Of course that is no guarantee that something could not happen ! Stuff happens worldwide!

Guess that means fewer ships in port. Not a bad thing ;)

Of course...when the bullets start flying then comes the thread.....'Celebrity should not have endangered it passengers'

:rolleyes:

Of course...when the bullets start flying then comes the thread.....'Celebrity should not have endangered it passengers' :rolleyes:

Interesting, sad point above, BUT, I am glad things worked out well for the visit to Egypt and getting to Cairo. Visiting there is high on my future to-do list and I wish the best to others scheduled for this area in the coming weeks. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 106,525 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are scheduled to be in Egypt for several days (albeit on another cruise line) and I am so excited. Things happen all around the world, check out all the murders in the States. Just saying...........

Happy travels to all, may the weather be fair and beds comfy. :D

Merkel visit has triggered demonstrations in Greece today. The Silhouette cruise also goes there. I guess if you want to be safe you could stay home. Oh, forgot about hurricanes, tornedos and fire and flood.

Our government has a Travel Advisory out "Avoid non-essential Travel" for Egypt. I am pretty sure my travel insurance would not cover me if anything happened while we were there

This is correct in all the companies that we have dealt with over the years. It's a provision one should check before travel date.

Last fall my girlfriend slipped getting off the Nile River excursion boat and got a nasty gash on her finger. It was a story from hell listening to her "adventure "of getting to a hospital and back to the ship on time before "lock down" for the overnight stay. Very scary.

Personally that country and area, no matter if on my bucket list, wouldn't be where I'd be right now. But for sure, some look at things differently. And it is their choice.

It is relatively standard to have a member of Egypt's security police on tour busses. We were there before the current problems started with Grand Circle and even then we had a well armed security person on our bus.

It is relatively standard to have a member of Egypt's security police on tour busses. We were there before the current problems started with Grand Circle and even then we had a well armed security person on our bus.

I was there (Cairo) docked in Alexandria, off the Galaxy Celebrity's old ship, in 2007. We did not have any security on the bus. :)

So seems they have taken a 'step' since then, toward being "more secure"

I was there (Cairo) docked in Alexandria, off the Galaxy Celebrity's old ship, in 2007. We did not have any security on the bus. :)

So seems they have taken a 'step' since then, toward being "more secure"

We had security on our shore excursion bus on Princess in 2006; this was a standard fixture under the old regime -- not so much to "guarantee" safety as to provide income to these guards.

Hard to imagine you wouldn't have had one in 2007.

We had security on our shore excursion bus on Princess in 2006; this was a standard fixture under the old regime -- not so much to "guarantee" safety as to provide income to these guards.

Hard to imagine you wouldn't have had one in 2007.

Just the bus driver and a woman guide. It was a huge bus tour bought from the ship. But, no security guard. :)

PS We really enjoyed the day. It was 12 hours, took in the pyramids, the Nile river lunch on a Felucca, and shopping in the KHAN EL-KHALILI Market.

Just the bus driver and a woman guide. It was a huge bus tour bought from the ship. But, no security guard. :)

PS We really enjoyed the day. It was 12 hours, took in the pyramids, the Nile river lunch on a Felucca, and shopping in the KHAN EL-KHALILI Market.

They didn't take you to the Egyptian Museum?

Archived