FCO to PHL via DTW

Orator

Looking at flights from Rome to Philly. Found a Delta from FCO to DTW. Have 1 hr 40min layover for PHL flight. Seems close to me, but any advice? There is another flight with a 3hr 45m layover. Play it safe??? Thanks.

Looking at flights from Rome to Philly. Found a Delta from FCO to DTW. Have 1 hr 40min layover for PHL flight. Seems close to me, but any advice? There is another flight with a 3hr 45m layover. Play it safe??? Thanks.

I've never flown in or out of DTW, but be aware you have to go thru customs and immigration, then recheck your luggage for your domestic flight. You could possibly make the connection, but you might consider the 3/45 hr layover and have a casual lunch.

I've never flown in or out of DTW, but be aware you have to go thru customs and immigration, then recheck your luggage for your domestic flight. You could possibly make the connection, but you might consider the 3/45 hr layover and have a casual lunch.

I'm leaning in that direction.

Doesn't USAIR fly direct to Philly from Rome anymore? I flew USAIR in 2011 to Philly from Rome. Or is that not an option? We had an 11:50AM flight out of Rome.

Yes, they do. The USAir per person price is $2738. The Choice Air Delta price is $512 per person. I can do a nice cruise for the difference.

I would post this on the "cruise air" board here on CC, and possibly on Flyertalk dot---.

We fly Delta because we live in the SE and have skymiles. We have not had a problem getting through customs in the past. Of course some airports are worse than others.

I feel for you flying through Philly. I have never had an on time arrival or departure from there.:mad:

We have flown into/out of DTW many times in the past 3 years. The Delta Terminal is big, modern and UNcrowded. Still, I would feel more comfortable with the longer layover. Plenty of places to relax in the terminal, or stretch your legs

We have flown into/out of DTW many times in the past 3 years. The Delta Terminal is big, modern and UNcrowded. Still, I would feel more comfortable with the longer layover. Plenty of places to relax in the terminal, or stretch your legs

I assume your DTW-PHL flight is also on Delta. If it is not, you will have to switch terminals, which could eat up time. It does rerquire a bus transfer nbetweenh terminals.

I assume your DTW-PHL flight is also on Delta. If it is not, you will have to switch terminals, which could eat up time. It does rerquire a bus transfer nbetweenh terminals.

Yes, would be Delta all the way.

That's a pretty typical layover plus don't worry, nothing leaves Philly on time!;)

That's a pretty typical layover plus don't worry, nothing leaves Philly on time!;)

Philly is the final stop, but you're right. Fortunately I would be doing Customs and Immigration in Detroit. Philly can be a real mess, especially when there is a backup caused by the frequent delays.

Philly is the final stop, but you're right. Fortunately I would be doing Customs and Immigration in Detroit. Philly can be a real mess, especially when there is a backup caused by the frequent delays.

And your flight from DTW to Philly will be delayed because Philly will be backed up so your 1:45 minute layover will more than likely be a 3:45 min. layover.:D

Yes, they do. The USAir per person price is $2738. The Choice Air Delta price is $512 per person. I can do a nice cruise for the difference.

Was that price for USAir through Choice Air also? We did USAir through Choice Air PHL to Barcelona (open jaw, so one way fares were very cost prohibitive) and we paid $535 for a non-stop.

Jo-Ann

Do you have Global Entry? If not, the $100 fee might be worth the cost to avoid the hassle of customs. basically grab bags, scan passport, answer a few questions at machine (rarely a line) and you are out of there.

We had a close connection on flights from Rome because of a delay. AA put orange stickers on our bags so they came off the flight first on arrival in JFK and then we were met in the customs area and given orange folders to get us through security fast. Turned out we had plenty of time. I think you should be okay with the shorter time connection. Tell then at check in and ask for those luggage stickers.

Was that price for USAir through Choice Air also? We did USAir through Choice Air PHL to Barcelona (open jaw, so one way fares were very cost prohibitive) and we paid $535 for a non-stop.

Jo-Ann

At this time Choice Air is not offering a USAir option.

We had a close connection on flights from Rome because of a delay. AA put orange stickers on our bags so they came off the flight first on arrival in JFK and then we were met in the customs area and given orange folders to get us through security fast. Turned out we had plenty of time. I think you should be okay with the shorter time connection. Tell then at check in and ask for those luggage stickers.

Good suggestion.

The bigger problem may be which terminal you park at. The international flights are usually out of terminal A. The non-USAir flights usually gate at C-E & the USAir flts get priority when landing since its a hub. (they claim that's not true but I beg to differ on that one!) So you might get stuck on the Tarmac. I think you should be able to make it, but be prepared to hustle.

The bigger problem may be which terminal you park at. The international flights are usually out of terminal A. The non-USAir flights usually gate at C-E & the USAir flts get priority when landing since its a hub. (they claim that's not true but I beg to differ on that one!) So you might get stuck on the Tarmac. I think you should be able to make it, but be prepared to hustle.

I believe Orator (OP) is talking about flying INTO PHL, not changing planes there. The change of planes is at DTW.

I live in Detroit and travel internationally for work. I have never waited more than 20 mins for customs. The customs area is large and well staffed.

Average time for me from the time the plane touches the ground until I'm in my car driving home is 45 mins.

You will have no problem making the connecting flight on the earlier flight.

Thank you for all the fine replies. I decided to take the later flight from Detroit for two reasons:

1. Last year there were delays from Rome and people who scheduled an earlier connection flight missed it. Ther can always be problems in Rome.

2. My son tells me that he can pick us up at the Philly airport if we take the later flight.

The Choice Air fare for the flight is $522.28. That's a great price to me.

One again, thank you!

Thank you for all the fine replies. I decided to take the later flight from Detroit for two reasons:

1. Last year there were delays from Rome and people who scheduled an earlier connection flight missed it. Ther can always be problems in Rome.

2. My son tells me that he can pick us up at the Philly airport if we take the later flight.

The Choice Air fare for the flight is $522.28. That's a great price to me.

One again, thank you!

I live in the Detroit area and in March had no trouble with wait at customs but luggage seemed to take forever and another time I was out in 20 minutes. Take the later flight. DTW is a very nice airport. I decided to change planes in Europe rather than deal with customs at JFK - although I have never been to JFK.

Archived